Author Topic: New Shedd's bucket?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline bigtomi

New Shedd's bucket?
« on: June 01, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
I just acquired this a few days ago. I don't recall ever seeing this version before (crunchy peanut butter, with the Free Wacky Packs Inside! reference on the lid). Click on pic to see it larger.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Re: New Shedd's bucket?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »
How old is that bucket of PB?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
So how does it taste?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »
So, I'm presuming that Shedd's had a creamy peanut butter and, seemingly, no one knew they even had a crunchy version...until now.

Bigtomi, did you show this to Greg on his forum? I know he has a section on the Shedd's Wackys, but I don't think he has this fact listed. This is a good find.

UPDATE: Never mind, I saw that you did; thanks.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 07:05:51 PM by mikecho »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 07:43:27 PM »
Great find, but who on earth keeps a bucket of Peanut Butter for 45 years? Shedds must have been an East Coast brand….ive never seen it around the Midwest…

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »
Great find, but who on earth keeps a bucket of Peanut Butter for 45 years? Shedds must have been an East Coast brand….ive never seen it around the Midwest…
If it was an East Coast brand, I never saw it in Pennsylvania. The only peanut butters I know from my childhood in that state were Skippy, Jif, and Peter Pan.

Maybe it's a West Coast brand?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:00:29 PM by mikecho »

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 08:21:29 PM »
Very cool Tom! Did you find this in the wacky category or somewhere else on ebay - or not on ebay at all?

I just acquired this a few days ago. I don't recall ever seeing this version before (crunchy peanut butter, with the Free Wacky Packs Inside! reference on the lid). Click on pic to see it larger.

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 02:20:08 AM »
     Holy smokes you got those for a great price.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 10:53:17 AM »
So, I'm presuming that Shedd's had a creamy peanut butter and, seemingly, no one knew they even had a crunchy version...until now.

Well, I’ve always known that there was a crunchy version, as that’s what we bought when I was a kid.
There just hadn’t been a physical artifact for it found yet

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 10:54:59 AM »
If it was an East Coast brand, I never saw it in Pennsylvania. The only peanut butters I know from my childhood in that state were Skippy, Jif, and Peter Pan.

Maybe it's a West Coast brand?
Made in Detroit
As it says on the lid
I grew up in Michigan and we ate this for quite a few years

Offline mikecho

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 11:00:09 AM »
Made in Detroit
As it says on the lid
I grew up in Michigan and we ate this for quite a few years
Okay, then it's a Midwestern brand. No wonder I never heard of it. Thanks, Patrick.

Offline drono

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 12:38:44 PM »
I have a couple of Shedd's Wackys Crunchy buckets - one orange and one yellow.  However, the buckets themselves are different.  The yellow one says Free Wackys on the side, and the other is "generic looking" - similar to this one.  I also have another 4 lb bucket like just this one, but it doesn't mention Wackys on it or the lid.  So I decided not to bid on this auction since I already had the lid, and I wasn't really sure that the bucket went with it.  I've seen a lot of mismatched Shedd's buckets on eBay.

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
…and I wasn't really sure that the bucket went with it.  I've seen a lot of mismatched Shedd's buckets on eBay.
I also think this is a mismatched set, as you say, as the colors are so different between the two

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 05:15:47 AM »
How long would it take a family to go through 5 gallons of peanut butter???

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 06:31:19 AM »

With peanut butter cookies and peanut butter bread, not long.  I used to buy 2-packs of the stuff in big jars from Costco, which were probably 2.5 pounds apiece.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 09:51:40 AM »
The bucket is 5 pounds, not gallons.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 01:10:09 PM »
The 5 pound one had better contained at leasts 5 Wackys in it!  Otherwise, why not just buy 5 small ones.  Nice find on the new Shedds tub!  I should really go back & finally finish my half-done 1977 set. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 02:32:47 PM »
The 5 pound one had better contained at leasts 5 Wackys in it!  Otherwise, why not just buy 5 small ones.  Nice find on the new Shedds tub!
Not following your logic: the smaller tub is 3 pounds=1 sticker, the larger is 5 pounds=2 stickers.

And, thanks!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 04:42:05 AM »
It's interesting that the wording on the various buckets is inconsistent too I would have thought that these were all these were all manufactured in the same manufacturing plant with one stamper sometimes it says 2 wacky packs inside sometimes it just says wacky packs inside.   I always feared the same knuckleheads that make fake ludlows would stamp their own buckets.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
Not following your logic: the smaller tub is 3 pounds=1 sticker, the larger is 5 pounds=2 stickers.

Heh, you got me.  Never realized the regular tub was 3 lbs.  Always wanted a Shedds tub to store my 1977 stickers in for fun, but can't afford one.  I've seen tons of regular non-Wacky Shedds tubs for 5 or 10 bucks at random antique stores over the years, but never the Wacky one.

Offline drono

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2022, 07:00:21 AM »
I always feared the same knuckleheads that make fake ludlows would stamp their own buckets.

The ones I have aren't stamped, they're manufactured into the bucket, so I don't know how you could fake that without being obvious about it.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »
The ones I have aren't stamped, they're manufactured into the bucket, so I don't know how you could fake that without being obvious about it.
So every 5 pound version says two and all 3 pounds say one?  Big Tomi has/had at least 3 of the 3 pound ones as the recent auction had 2 and he had one from long ago.  the printing location on the two in the recent auction are not the same so clearly it is not "manufactured in" but is printed after the creation of the plastic bucket which makes sense so depending on exactly how the bucket sits when the "wacky packages inside" stampers strikes will create variation on the printing location so why couldn't anyone add this printing now like the fake ludlows?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:56:41 AM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline drono

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
The printing location on the two in the recent auction are not the same so clearly it is not "manufactured in" but is printed after the creation of the plastic bucket which makes sense so depending on exactly how the bucket sits when the "wacky packages inside" stampers strikes will create variation on the printing location so why couldn't anyone add this printing now like the fake ludlows?

Mine are different than that.  I have a 5-pound bucket and a 4-pound bucket.  The "Free Wacky" is definitely not added as an afterthought; it was part of the imprint on the bucket.  Also, I've never seen buckets like this that have the same printing without the "free wacky" offer.  One of the lids says Free Treasure Inside instead of mentioning Wacky Packages, so maybe it matches the bucket, and maybe it doesn't.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »
Mine are different than that.  I have a 5-pound bucket and a 4-pound bucket.  The "Free Wacky" is definitely not added as an afterthought; it was part of the imprint on the bucket.  Also, I've never seen buckets like this that have the same printing without the "free wacky" offer.  One of the lids says Free Treasure Inside instead of mentioning Wacky Packages, so maybe it matches the bucket, and maybe it doesn't.
I think we are defining afterthought differently.  Are you agreeing the plastic container is created and then the desired lettering is stamped on?  All lettering is done after a plastic molded item is created.  That is why some lettering is fading away on these.  The variations of wording and placement make this fodder for the cheats in our hobby but this may not be lucrative enough for them as I don't see people paying big bucks for these buckets currently anyway.  It seems people would rather chase a sparkly mini chaser.

anything