Author Topic: I appreciate the hustle.... but....  (Read 2309 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

I appreciate the hustle.... but....
« on: April 29, 2022, 04:19:30 PM »
Ronnie Rocker has been around a long time and has sold over 16k items of all types of things on Ebay over the years.  It is just too bad that the wackies he lists are in just such piss poor condition....  I call them Huffy wackies (the ones you put in the wheel spokes to make a noise as you cruise down the road in your 70s Huffy!)

Offline Mr._Stubble

Re: I appreciate the hustle.... but....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
Ronnie Rocker has been around a long time and has sold over 16k items of all types of things on Ebay over the years.  It is just too bad that the wackies he lists are in just such piss poor condition....  I call them Huffy wackies (the ones you put in the wheel spokes to make a noise as you cruise down the road in your 70s Huffy!)

Oh yeah, I had a Thunder Road...

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I had a Thunder Road...

I must have got the Kmart Version....  I would ride that one today! LOL

Offline Swiski

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 08:54:14 PM »
I had that bike!!! It was stolen in front of a White Hen Pantry. My dad called his Uncle Joe, who worked in the police department, to try to find the crooks. But of course it was gone, never to be found. He claimed to have found my bike, stripped of all the cool stuff. But in reality he just gave me a look-alike bike from their unclaimed bicycles department. LOL!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 01:25:50 PM »
I had that bike!!! It was stolen in front of a White Hen Pantry. My dad called his Uncle Joe, who worked in the police department, to try to find the crooks. But of course it was gone, never to be found. He claimed to have found my bike, stripped of all the cool stuff. But in reality he just gave me a look-alike bike from their unclaimed bicycles department. LOL!
Getting my bike stolen was one of my greatest childhood fears.  It was my only way to get around quickly.  My brothers all had multiple thefts, some at knifepoint (riding in a large park that has large areas of isolated woods giving criminals the perfect cover), but somehow I got lucky and never lost my ride.  Definitely some close calls though, one even involving Wackys - went into a corner newsstand/candy store on a busy street, on a Sunday as I remember, and when I came out a school classmate was standing there claiming he just prevented theft of my bike.  Could have been complete bull, a hero complex or whatever, but no doubt the location was ideal for theft - top of a hill, easy getaway, etc.  I remember being a bit skeptical of the classmate’s claim, but also scared witless over the prospect of actually losing my bike.  So much a part of life back then, at that age.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 02:53:43 PM »
  I didn't have a bicycle until my father bought me a junk 3 speed that was put together from parts from other bikes.

A couple of my friends with generous parents had Mongooses, which were obscenely expensive for the mid-late 70's.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 03:01:29 PM »
I had a Schwinn, non mongoose, with the banana seat. I got blue, my brother got red…Dad said “you get ONE bike. That is it. I will not buy another…if you wreck it, or get it stolen, you are S.O.L.” We didn’t even have chains or locks. We took pretty damn good care of those bikes. We made them last 5 or 6 years, until we had outgrown them. We were allowed to ride on busy streets to get to the store to buy comics, or wackys, Today, with crime and crazy drivers, i wont let my 9 year old ride her bike outside of our neighborhood…
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 03:10:25 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 06:32:49 PM »
I had a huffy banana seat no hand brakes.  Was the easier ride to go no hands I ever remember.  Used to drive the whole distance around the lake I lived(2.5 miles) no hands.  That was our big thrill as kids, how far and how tricky turns can we do no hands.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 08:26:00 PM »
I had a huffy banana seat no hand brakes.  Was the easier ride to go no hands I ever remember.  Used to drive the whole distance around the lake I lived(2.5 miles) no hands.  That was our big thrill as kids, how far and how tricky turns can we do no hands.

Pretty similar story here but “sissy bars” were popular in the early ‘70s where I lived. We would ride no-handed on the handle bars and lift our arms over our head molding on to the top of the sissy bar. Boy, we did stoopId things back then.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 11:17:57 PM »
  I didn't have a bicycle until my father bought me a junk 3 speed that was put together from parts from other bikes.

I have no idea why, we must have been part of a major baby boom, with scores of neighborhood kids outgrowing their smaller bikes and moving on to 10-speeds around the same time, but we had a CONSTANT supply of replacement parts, seats, etc, whatever we needed, from bikes left out on people’s curbs for sanitation pickup.  They were never beat up or in major disrepair, at worst might have a flat tire from disuse.  I’m sure we assembled full working bikes from those reclamations.  Must have helped to offset those thefts I mentioned earlier.  By the age of 10 I probably had enough hands-on experience with assembly and repairs to work in a bike shop.  The only thing I don’t remember dealing with much was hand brakes.  The old Schwinns always had pedal brakes.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 06:36:23 AM »
I bought this bike in 1981 and it still has the original tires.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 09:35:30 AM »
I wonder what common experiences todays kids will have…Its not climbing trees or riding  bikes together. Maybe playing Roblox or “remote learning.” During covid, my kid and one set of twins, were the only ones allowed to go out riding their bikes in the neighborhood….

anything