Author Topic: Favorite Modern Series?  (Read 1965 times)

Online JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Favorite Modern Series?
« on: May 03, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »
Im trying to keep the discussion going about Wackys while we wait to see what the future of Wackys will be. What is/are everyone’s favorite Modern series? I will include everything since 2004, so all of the ANS series are included, as well as Flashback 1 and 2, Chrome, Old School 1-10, MLB and Weekly and Monthly sets. Any sets i an overlooking are also fair game. It doesnt have to be a poll of everyone, just whoever feels like saying what their favorite series is and why…

Offline lucidjc

Re: Favorite Modern Series?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 01:02:00 PM »
Halloween postcards, because, well it's Halloween!!!

Jim

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 01:26:16 PM »
Yup! Halloween is just so much fun! I've suggested a whole Halloween set (55 count) before. I have TONS of roughs, both candy and other products, piled up for this year! It is going to be great!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
Old School all the way! It's like vintage Wackies from an alternate universe, or if Topps continued where they left off after Series 16.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »
likewise, Pete, and I've always advocated Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas titles (hoping that they get there somewhat on time LOL)   Even Fourth of July.

Online mikecho

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
Old School all the way! It's like vintage Wackies from an alternate universe, or if Topps continued where they left off after Series 16.
Exactly! The 1970s OLDS are, imo, the official continuation of the 1970s OS run. Likewise, the 1980s OLDS pick up right where the 1985 Series left off.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:47:16 AM by mikecho »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 12:13:57 AM »
Exactly! The 1970s OLDSs are the official continuation of the 1970s Wacky run. Likewise, the 1980s OLDSs pick up right the 1985 Series left off.

You're getting your acronomyninims mixed up.    ;)

Old School Series (OLDS) began in 2010.   

Original Series (OS) was, of course, the grandiose 70's and spanned 16 series.

The 80's were, well, the 80's.   While not stellar in wackys, definitely stellar in MUSIC!    :]

Send me your borderless wackys!

Online mikecho

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 10:51:30 AM »
You're getting your acronomyninims mixed up.    ;)

Old School Series (OLDS) began in 2010.   

Original Series (OS) was, of course, the grandiose 70's and spanned 16 series.

The 80's were, well, the 80's.   While not stellar in wackys, definitely stellar in MUSIC!    :]
I think I've fixed it now, but let me confirm.

The seven 1970s OLDS are, technically and the way I see it, unofficially the 17th Series to the 23rd Series. The three 1980s OLDS (as of now) are, again technically and the way I see it, unofficially what would've happened if the 1985 Series had gone on beyond that.

I'll admit, however, you're right about the music. After all, the 1980s gave us Pat Benatar.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:58:47 AM by mikecho »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:03:34 AM »
I think I've fixed it now, but let me confirm.

The seven 1970s OLDS are, technically and the way I see it, unofficially the 17th Series to the 23rd Series. The three 1980s OLDS (as of now) are, again technically and the way I see it, unofficially what would've happened if the 1985 Series had gone on beyond that.

I'll admit, however, you're right about the music. After all, the 1980s gave us Pat Benatar.

Oh, so OLDS 1-7 are 70's products, and OLDS 8-10 are 80's products?   I was not aware of that.   But if that is what you are saying, I get it now.

You better believe:   Pat Benatar!!   And Asia, Loverboy, Motels, Duran Duran, Bryan Adams, INXS, U2, REM, Til Tuesday, and The Cure!   Not to mention killer albums from already-established artists like The Cars, Rush, Talking Heads, Journey, Queen, AC/DC, Styx, Police, Ozzy, Van Halen, Heart, Genesis, Yes, Dire Straits, Boston, ELO, The Stones, and THE FLOYD!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Online mikecho

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 08:37:27 AM »
Oh, so OLDS 1-7 are 70's products, and OLDS 8-10 are 80's products?   I was not aware of that.   But if that is what you are saying, I get it now.

You better believe:   Pat Benatar!!   And Asia, Loverboy, Motels, Duran Duran, Bryan Adams, INXS, U2, REM, Til Tuesday, and The Cure!   Not to mention killer albums from already-established artists like The Cars, Rush, Talking Heads, Journey, Queen, AC/DC, Styx, Police, Ozzy, Van Halen, Heart, Genesis, Yes, Dire Straits, Boston, ELO, The Stones, and THE FLOYD!
My younger brother Brian was a big fan of Styx, Rush, and Van Halen back in the day. His favorite country singer, though, was (and still is) Jerry Reed, mainly because of Smokey and the Bandit, one of his favorite films.

Btw, that is exactly what I was saying! You got it! I was hoping you'd get it. I was hoping somebody here would get it.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 07:04:16 AM »
Im trying to keep the discussion going about Wackys while we wait to see what the future of Wackys will be. What is/are everyone’s favorite Modern series? I will include everything since 2004, so all of the ANS series are included, as well as Flashback 1 and 2, Chrome, Old School 1-10, MLB and Weekly and Monthly sets. Any sets i an overlooking are also fair game. It doesnt have to be a poll of everyone, just whoever feels like saying what their favorite series is and why…

Good question!  If pressed I'd say OLDS 1 as it was so much fun to see Dave's stellar work in packs and boxes I could open.  The sketches were unique (at the time) and a great addition.  The price was reasonable/low and I was super excited for them.

Honorable mentions, for various reasons, to Flashback 1, ANS4, and Chrome.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 08:21:18 AM »

I will pick one of each - Old School 1, ANS4, and Halloween Postcards.  I kind of consider the weekly and monthlys as a continuation of ANS, and Flashbask and Chrome were reissues.