Author Topic: What Can We Do To Help?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
What Can We Do To Help?
« on: May 01, 2022, 07:00:52 AM »
I'm trying to brainstorm what kind of concrete steps could be taken to improve Wackys sales. What immediate steps could be taken to push our numbers up? Please save negativity for another time. I want simple, realistic ideas that can be implemented now. Maybe together we can reinvigorate Wackys? Let me know what you all think! Thanks.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Re: What Can We Do To Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 07:52:46 AM »
Adults like to open packs. If another retail set isnt feasible, sell random packs or random lots online. Its not much fun to just buy a complete set at once. Make chase cards unique titles, rather than different front or backs. A mix of newer and older products. Old School and Flashbacks were the most enjoyable recent sets.  Extend the window of online sales to 14 days instead of seven. More prominent place on the website, instead of having to drill through products, then online, then Wackys…..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 09:27:37 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 08:01:37 AM »
Adults like to open packs. If another retail set isnt feasible, sell random packs or random lots online. Its not much fun to just buy a complete set at once. Make chase cards unique titles, rather than different front or backs. A mix of newer and older products. Extend the window of online sales to 14 days instead of seven. More prominent place on the website, instead of having to drill through products, then online, then Wackys…..
Old School started out with full boxes of packs yet still direct online sales, that seemed to work ok.

Lower the price point with fewer chase cards per box rather than including a high percentage of them with the set sales current model.  I could be in the minority on this one though, as those who like to complete the chase cards may not appreciate being stuck with excess base cards or sets that would result in that scenario.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 01:19:15 PM »
A reprint of 16th Series would sell like hot cakes…Some of those titles were never reprinted…

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 01:45:17 PM »
The question is - do you want the sales to increase with the die-hard fans already that are carrying the majority of current sales, or do you want to reach a larger audience?

Online quas

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 01:50:59 PM »
The question is - do you want the sales to increase with the die-hard fans already that are carrying the majority of current sales, or do you want to reach a larger audience?

I would think the larger audience, since we die-hard fans are likely to follow suit unless it's a truly severe dilution of the concept (e.g., somehow combining Wackies with GPK).
Marc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »
As was already noted, I really like opening "packs" (I'm putting packs in quotes as things like the cups for the Minis are a lot of fun for me as compared to buying a full set online).  I generally could take or leave subsets.  I like them, but am only willing to spend so much money (not sure how to define "so much") to assemble a full set.  I thought the first few series of Old School were just about perfect in every way.  Not sure why things changed so much, but the closer we could get to that model, the happier I would be. 

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 05:18:28 AM »
I would think the larger audience, since we die-hard fans are likely to follow suit unless it's a truly severe dilution of the concept (e.g., somehow combining Wackies with GPK).

Yes, my objective was to find ways to expand our scope beyond our current circle. New collectors, especially young ones, would breathe new life into our hobby. Are there other websites we could advertise on? Should we have a presence at card shows? Which ones? Are there techniques that worked in the past that we should dust off again? Everyone must have at least one idea, and if we gather them together, it might be enough to get us moving again. I'm all for improving the experience for current collectors as well, but the critical need is to expand our market now!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 07:51:48 AM »
Tic Toc video? Spoof Roblox? Get into the schools as part of a giveaway?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
The problem today is that the younger crowd is all about social media and their handheld smartphones or video games. Gone are the days when kids put stickers on their bikes or traded with other friends.

Another angle to consider is that the Wacky Packages brand doesn't need to be isolated to stickers. SI made a genius move by producing those 3D minis! THose mini plastic groceries are hot collectibles with kids and they struck while the iron was hot. I always thought it would be cool to see Funko make POPs of Wacky Packages classic characters.

Online quas

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 08:36:54 AM »
Insert a random regular monthly Wacky (not a special one created solely for a GPK offering) into every GPK pack.  Perhaps this will intrigue some GPK fans to have more of a look at those "cool" Wacky Packs. 
Marc

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 03:06:58 PM »
Without getting into sales figures or trade secrets, can anyone pinpoint when sales fell off? Was it all at once or over several series?

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 06:03:34 PM »
Something non-sticker related. Similar to the Minis but larger.
A 3D set of original Wacky character figures. Larger.....2 to 3 inches? Release them in sets of 10 or 12. Make one or two special hard to find ones. Keep it clean and simple but really well done. If the quality is there you could price them higher and collectors would pay it.

You could even do a sticker for each figure but just the character, no gag, to satisfy those that really enjoy the stickers. No colored borders, special backs, just well done clean die cut stickers.

Im trying to think how many sets you could pull off if you did 10 or 12 per set. I bet 5 or 6 for sure don't you think? I wonder if anyone knows how many unique Wacky characters exist in the `1-16 run?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 08:21:05 AM »
Rather than trying to get kids to buy Wackies, how about just coming up with more products for the die-hards here!

I thought of a cool cross-promotion item from Topps and SI - Online exclusive Wacky Packages minis!

These can be minis of products they couldn't use for the mass retail assortments - the liquor and tobacco spoofs!!

They can still be blind boxed with exclusive rares and super rares.

I mean...everyone here would love a Camals, Paul Maul, Blast Blew Ribbon, etc. in their collection!

Online quas

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 08:30:13 AM »
Rather than trying to get kids to buy Wackies, how about just coming up with more products for the die-hards here!

I thought of a cool cross-promotion item from Topps and SI - Online exclusive Wacky Packages minis!

These can be minis of products they couldn't use for the mass retail assortments - the liquor and tobacco spoofs!!

They can still be blind boxed with exclusive rares and super rares.

I mean...everyone here would love a Camals, Paul Maul, Blast Blew Ribbon, etc. in their collection!

Hey that works for me!  Bring on Schmutz, Mare, Winstun, Bloodweiser, Hamel, Sailem, Hav-A Temper, Vicejoy, Truant, Tijuana Smells, Heave, Snarlamint, Raw Leaves, Clubbed Canadian, and all the rest!
Marc

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »
The problem today is that the younger crowd is all about social media and their handheld smartphones or video games. Gone are the days when kids put stickers on their bikes or traded with other friends.

Another angle to consider is that the Wacky Packages brand doesn't need to be isolated to stickers. SI made a genius move by producing those 3D minis! THose mini plastic groceries are hot collectibles with kids and they struck while the iron was hot. I always thought it would be cool to see Funko make POPs of Wacky Packages classic characters.
these are great ideas mentioned in the other thread of similar discussion that John started.  Parodies on youtube stars and influencers, maybe get a c&d from an influencer causing a short print, etc.  Wackys 100% will die if the audience is only us old timers, there is no uncertainty there.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:18 AM »
I had suggested a hidden variation on a title that I think is in the April set, but it was
likely way too involved to pull off.  An "April Fool" prank of sorts.....

Online cmgmd

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but shouldn't the creative minds at Topps/Fanatics and not the consumers be hard at work developing multiple avenues to reinvigorate Wackys and improve sales if they truly want the line to continue?  Perhaps a few years off would actually be beneficial as sales boomed with the reintroduction of ANS 1 after a long absence from the market.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
A 3D set of original Wacky character figures. Larger.....2 to 3 inches? Release them in sets of 10 or 12. Make one or two special hard to find ones. Keep it clean and simple but really well done. If the quality is there you could price them higher and collectors would pay it.

You could even do a sticker for each figure but just the character, no gag, to satisfy those that really enjoy the stickers. No colored borders, special backs, just well done clean die cut stickers.

Im trying to think how many sets you could pull off if you did 10 or 12 per set. I bet 5 or 6 for sure don't you think? I wonder if anyone knows how many unique Wacky characters exist in the `1-16 run?

I would love to see something like this, though it does seem that might appeal more to us older collectors than kids.  I also wish, as Swiski suggested, SI would do Minis of the booze and tobacco products and simply offer them online.  So many classic titles there!

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 03:17:25 PM »

I really like this idea! I like the minis but would love them if they were larger. I loved the plush wackys from a few years ago, but I think cans, boxes, and yes even characters the size of the plush toys would be awesome. OS 1-16. Think cans, boxes, bottles etc the size of the real product.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 01:16:56 AM »
I really like this idea! I like the minis but would love them if they were larger. I loved the plush wackys from a few years ago, but I think cans, boxes, and yes even characters the size of the plush toys would be awesome. OS 1-16. Think cans, boxes, bottles etc the size of the real product.

I like your thinking, but.......I ain't got the room for something like that!   LOL.   I do love the Michaels' display boxes that someone here suggested for the minis.  I have two of them stuffed with nothing but OS titles from the 3 mini series.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 12:39:15 PM »

The problem today is that the younger crowd is all about social media and their handheld smartphones or video games.

I interact with kids sometimes and occasionally expose them to things they've never experienced such as making paper airplanes, playing with a big superball, or throwing a small Frisbee (fling rings are easy for even a 6-year-old to throw). Sometimes I can tell certain children have never played with a ball.  There's nothing like witnessing a kid's joy the first time they catch a ball - the look of shock and pride on their face is priceless. There have been times I've felt guilty that I was the one to experience it, instead of their parent.   

Although a few kids might collect cards of various types (Magic the Gathering & Pokémon) collecting physical objects seems to be quickly dying.  Most kids are not exposed to collecting objects as in previous times, such as stamps and coins and seashells and rocks. The shell collection I kept in a cigar box was one of my most cherished things as a kid. But I'm glad to see that Hot Wheels are still around, even if some are plastic. I think there are some die-cast. And I guess there are some small figurine type collectibles I see around sometimes. 

Recently I showed an 8-year-old how to make a disappearing knot on a rope (a tightened slip knot).

He was enthralled & spent the next 2 days showing his family and friends the trick in fun dramatic ways.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 01:51:33 AM »
It's all about "MEMES".
It's all about memes.  If someone were to do MEME-style Wacky parodies of CURRENT products (the TikTok crowd has no clue what most of the 1-16 products are)... and then suddenly the same meme parody shows up as an NFT on OpenSea, AND a limited edition card or mini pops on eBay, too?... then I think there could be a new crowd.  But that won't necessarily keep the old crowd interested.  1) because we wouldn't be opening packs, and 2) because we probably don't use half the products that would be parodied for the new crowd (like "OpenPee" and "TickTalk").  Another downside would be that any politically-charged parody-memes (esp. non-PC, which is half the dictionary at this point) would be instantly 'cancelled' and mobbed and doxxed and yelled at vigorously in Youtube videos.  ("Pootube"). 

Offline Swiski

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2022, 08:17:07 AM »
I don't want Wackies to go the Meme or NFT route!! Keep it simple, old school and classic! Our group here are the people spending the money. Kids simply don't care about this stuff.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 01:28:58 PM »
What is the real GOAL here? To raise sales? To reach more collectors? To get the younger generation into Wackys?

Now to be honest...if you go the same current route by only releasing things online (Topps.com), higher prices for the 'set', nothing in the stores....then you will never reach any new collectors or spread the wacky fever outside of the current infected.

You need to work with OTHER card series and through out teasers. For example work with Pokemon, Magic, or Yu-Gi-Oh gamers....make a mini series on some of their most common characters or even a funny wrapper and other similar products in their packs. I would open their eyes to our world and Wacky collectors would try to find and collect those cards.

What comes to mind is the 2016 MLB stickers
https://wackypacks.com/stickers/mlb/base/album.html

or even the 1970's baseball crossover/error cards
https://wackypacks.com/stickers/baseball/

If you think about it....what if Wacky Packages would make STAR WARS wackys? More video game spin offs? or even NFL/NHL teams or NASCAR wackys?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 10:50:19 AM »
....what if Wacky Packages would make STAR WARS wackys?
Been there, didn't done that.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »
What he said ..........o.0

Offline Swiski

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 05:22:10 AM »
Continuing the playing card deck discussion earlier, I saw that Topps is releasing a Garbage Pail Kids Tarot Deck and Handbook this August.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:24:25 AM by Swiski »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 11:09:28 AM »
Continuing the playing card deck discussion earlier, I saw that Topps is releasing a Garbage Pail Kids Tarot Deck and Handbook this August.

What an odd item.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 01:17:59 PM »

That IS odd - can you post a link?

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 04:38:50 PM »
What's next, a GPK Ouija Board?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 05:07:22 PM »
The online only series are great but it would also be nice if Topps made other Wacky products available on the website like it did years back with cereal boxes, uncut sheets, hobby boxes, etc..,

Offline Swiski

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2022, 07:09:02 PM »
That IS odd - can you post a link?

Sure! Amazon has a pre-sale link among other online stores. I probably should have said Topps approved it, but not actually releasing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Pail-Kids-Official-Guidebook/dp/1647225450/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CI0ADP3SPQM2&keywords=garbage+pail+kids+tarot&qid=1653098896&sprefix=garbage+pail+kids+tarot%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:10:59 PM by Swiski »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2022, 03:49:55 AM »

May the Farce be with you.   or not.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2022, 06:47:48 AM »
Sure! Amazon has a pre-sale link among other online stores. I probably should have said Topps approved it, but not actually releasing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Pail-Kids-Official-Guidebook/dp/1647225450/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CI0ADP3SPQM2&keywords=garbage+pail+kids+tarot&qid=1653098896&sprefix=garbage+pail+kids+tarot%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1

Some of these oddball items are my favorite.  I know they're not the bread and butter of Wackys, but I would love to see some more wacky Wacky items.

anything