Author Topic: Wacky Economics  (Read 6833 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Wacky Economics
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
We have had various discussions about why Wackys have disappeared from retail and are mostly special order at this point…Some if those include market fragmentation, changing retail distribution models, the rise of video games and cell phones and snazzier forms of rebellion for todays youth. My question here is straight up dollars and cents….A pack of Wackys cost 5 cents throughout the 70s (16th series was an outlier at 10 cents.) adjusted for inflation, 5 cents in 1973 is equal to 32 cents today, according to economists. ($1 in 1973 is $6.48 in todays purchasing power.) The last retail sets i can recall were ANS 10 and Flashbacks which retailed for $2 in 2009. That $2 would be $2.68 today. Now, the 5 cent packs contained two stickers, along with checklist and throwaway gum. Flashback packs contained 10 stickers, so to get 10 stickers in 1973 you would have had to buy 5 packs, for a total spend of 25 cents. 25 cents worth of Wackys SHOULD cost $1.62 today, but if they were being sold, would have a retail price of $2.68 (adjusting their $2 packs for inflation). Maybe Topps would round down to $2.50 or up to $3. For comparison, a comic that cost 25 cents in the 1970s now costs $4. For those of you who have stuck with me, would todays kids (adults have different purchasing power) be more or less willing to spend $2.68 or so on 10 stickers than we were to spend 25 cents on them in 1973? I usually could only afford 2-3 packs at a time. I cannot recall getting an allowance as an 8-10 year old, but others might have gotten 50 cents to $1 per week. $1 (a GENEROUS allowance) would have bought 40 OS Wackys and todays allowance of say $5 per week would buy about 20 stickers. A $10 allowance would buy the same 40 Wackys if a kid spent his entire allowance on them…

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Wacky Economics
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 08:27:39 PM »
We have had various discussions about why Wackys have disappeared from retail and are mostly special order at this point…Some if those include market fragmentation, changing retail distribution models, the rise of video games and cell phones and snazzier forms of rebellion for todays youth. My question here is straight up dollars and cents….A pack of Wackys cost 5 cents throughout the 70s (16th series was an outlier at 10 cents.) adjusted for inflation, 5 cents in 1973 is equal to 32 cents today, according to economists. ($1 in 1973 is $6.48 in todays purchasing power.) The last retail sets i can recall were ANS 10 and Flashbacks which retailed for $2 in 2009. That $2 would be $2.68 today. Now, the 5 cent packs contained two stickers, along with checklist and throwaway gum. Flashback packs contained 10 stickers, so to get 10 stickers in 1973 you would have had to buy 5 packs, for a total spend of 25 cents. 25 cents worth of Wackys SHOULD cost $1.62 today, but if they were being sold, would have a retail price of $2.68 (adjusting their $2 packs for inflation). Maybe Topps would round down to $2.50 or up to $3. For comparison, a comic that cost 25 cents in the 1970s now costs $4. For those of you who have stuck with me, would todays kids (adults have different purchasing power) be more or less willing to spend $2.68 or so on 10 stickers than we were to spend 25 cents on them in 1973? I usually could only afford 2-3 packs at a time. I cannot recall getting an allowance as an 8-10 year old, but others might have gotten 50 cents to $1 per week. $1 (a GENEROUS allowance) would have bought 40 OS Wackys and todays allowance of say $5 per week would buy about 20 stickers. A $10 allowance would buy the same 40 Wackys if a kid spent his entire allowance on them…
yes, today's kids would have the required purchasing power but that alone doesn't drive the answer "would they be willing to spend that money on wackys.  I think there are far greater options for kids to spend money which makes the wacky purchase a challenge on top of the fact that wackys are really not a new edgy thing any more either.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:13:56 AM »
Okay, let's accept the apparent argument that Wackys have lost their way. What then? What is the solution? The most desirable would be to find a way to generate new fans. Youth would create a next generation that would give new lifeblood to our hobby. For the reasons already listed, that option is problematic. So what is Plan B? Maybe take the gloves off of Wackys, and allow them to get edgy again! We continue to limit designs to what would be appropriate for 6 to 12 year olds when we all know not a single kid has likely purchased Wackys in years! Let us design stuff that is racy, or politically edgy. Let social commentary sneak in. Put warning labels on Wackys if you have to, or restrict sales to over 18, for specialized sets. Actually, that might drive up sales, since the best way to get people to want something is to tell them they can't have it! It doesn't have to be a complete change. We could add the Over 18 Wackys to the line up, while keeping the original style as well. I'm just thinking out loud here. What is certain is that if we keep doing the same thing, we'll keep getting the same results!

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 06:55:04 AM »
Okay, let's accept the apparent argument that Wackys have lost their way. What then? What is the solution? The most desirable would be to find a way to generate new fans. Youth would create a next generation that would give new lifeblood to our hobby. For the reasons already listed, that option is problematic. So what is Plan B? Maybe take the gloves off of Wackys, and allow them to get edgy again! We continue to limit designs to what would be appropriate for 6 to 12 year olds when we all know not a single kid has likely purchased Wackys in years! Let us design stuff that is racy, or politically edgy. Let social commentary sneak in. Put warning labels on Wackys if you have to, or restrict sales to over 18, for specialized sets. Actually, that might drive up sales, since the best way to get people to want something is to tell them they can't have it! It doesn't have to be a complete change. We could add the Over 18 Wackys to the line up, while keeping the original style as well. I'm just thinking out loud here. What is certain is that if we keep doing the same thing, we'll keep getting the same results!

Thanks for starting the discussion.  There was the political-type spoofs a few years ago, like Trumpocracy.  A lot of Trump and Hillary stuff.  There was Go To The Movies, which was probably everyone here's least favorite series.  How about a simple rebranding?  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Just rename Wacky Packages to be "Garbage Pail Ads."  I realize that is probably sacrilege to most of us, but it might work.  Drop the Ludlow inserts and replace them with Chrome inserts, Chrome refractor inserts, etc.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »
Thanks for starting the discussion.  There was the political-type spoofs a few years ago, like Trumpocracy.  A lot of Trump and Hillary stuff.  There was Go To The Movies, which was probably everyone here's least favorite series.  How about a simple rebranding?  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  Just rename Wacky Packages to be "Garbage Pail Ads."  I realize that is probably sacrilege to most of us, but it might work.  Drop the Ludlow inserts and replace them with Chrome inserts, Chrome refractor inserts, etc.

I think this is a bad idea. The most likely outcome of such a decision would be to alienate longtime fans while making only marginal gains of new ones.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 07:42:07 AM »
I agree that the distribution model needs to change and perhaps even the target audience. However my question was more in reference to price point/elasticity….the more I think about it, a few bucks doesnt mean much to todays kids, so maybe it really is a matter of the product and its distribution. Hopefully someone at Topps can figure out how to keep Wackys going. It seems like they arent making much profit on 500-600 sets. I will say you have to know what you are doing and search pretty hard to find the weekly/monthly/Old School sets on Topps’ web site…
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 12:12:59 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline quas

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 08:12:00 AM »
I think this is a bad idea. The most likely outcome of such a decision would be to alienate longtime fans while making only marginal gains of new ones.

What about the replacement of Ludlow backs (for which the front of the sticker is the same as in the base set - boring!) with Chrome inserts?  I think the Ludlows theme has played itself out, just like all those green border, pink border, silver border inserts, etc. did for the Flashback and other series. And there are at least some Forum members who have expressed interest in a second Chrome series, which of course Topps never did, so this would kind of be a hybrid.

I'm not saying it would expand the audience (it wouldn't), but at least it would be something different for us die-hards.
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 09:39:52 AM »
What about the replacement of Ludlow backs (for which the front of the sticker is the same as in the base set - boring!) with Chrome inserts?  I think the Ludlows theme has played itself out, just like all those green border, pink border, silver border inserts, etc. did for the Flashback and other series. And there are at least some Forum members who have expressed interest in a second Chrome series, which of course Topps never did, so this would kind of be a hybrid.

I'm not saying it would expand the audience (it wouldn't), but at least it would be something different for us die-hards.

I think all the back and border variations have played themselves out.  Does the puzzle really add anything extra?  It's so 1970s - Topps even did it in their baseball and football card sets too.  I already have a sticker with the puzzle on it, and I certainly don't need a sticker with its back showing me the completed puzzle either.  I think all stickers should be coupon backs that are a further parody of the sticker itself.  It's the only one of the back variations we've seen that adds any value to the front. 

I know some of you only want to collect the really rare ones, so if they want to use chrome or super refractor inserts or other chase cards to make the completist buy more, go ahead.  I'm guessing that the number of those buyers are decreasing and more are buying to flip instead.  I don't buy for the rare, I buy to enjoy, so I'll stick to the basic set and spend the extra money elsewhere.  Now that I'm no longer a child, I've put away most childish things. 

Offline quas

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 09:46:44 AM »
I think all the back and border variations have played themselves out.  Does the puzzle really add anything extra?  It's so 1970s - Topps even did it in their baseball and football card sets too.  I already have a sticker with the puzzle on it, and I certainly don't need a sticker with its back showing me the completed puzzle either.  I think all stickers should be coupon backs that are a further parody of the sticker itself.  It's the only one of the back variations we've seen that adds any value to the front. 

I know some of you only want to collect the really rare ones, so if they want to use chrome or super refractor inserts or other chase cards to make the completist buy more, go ahead.  I'm guessing that the number of those buyers are decreasing and more are buying to flip instead.  I don't buy for the rare, I buy to enjoy, so I'll stick to the basic set and spend the extra money elsewhere.  Now that I'm no longer a child, I've put away most childish things.

No argument here.  I'd be fine if Topps never did another back or front variation again!  I'm good with base sets and sketch cards!  But I must say I did like the playing cards idea.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 09:50:25 AM »

I agree, the coupon backs are great!

Offline quas

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »
I agree, the coupon backs are great!

How about doing coupon backs for OS 1-16?
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
How about doing coupon backs for OS 1-16?

That would be awesome!!

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 12:57:37 PM »
I think the image variations stickers are great.   The concept was done nicely in Mars Attacks and Wonky Ads.  Would be nice to see in Old School as well. 

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »

I can only speak for myself, but a "rebranding" WOULD be sacrilegious! If it isn't WACKYS, I'm out! I haven't worked on GPK yet, and I have no desire to. I'm a One Trick Pony, and will retire if Wackys go down.

Offline quas

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but a "rebranding" WOULD be sacrilegious! If it isn't WACKYS, I'm out! I haven't worked on GPK yet, and I have no desire to. I'm a One Trick Pony, and will retire if Wackys go down.

OK, time to throw that Wacky idea in the Garbage Pail!   8)
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »

I agree; when I was collecting the ANS run (ANS1-ANS8; I stopped there because the other ANS just got too extensive and too expensive to keep going on from there) I only did the basic base stickers (white backgrounds with black borders), bonus stickers (which ran from ANS1 to 2014 S1, after which bonus stickers were no longer made in Wackys from that point on) and rainbow foil stickers (which ran from ANS3 to ANS6; ANS7 had only classic foil stickers (just like the previous four series did) but no rainbow foil stickers, after which, again, foil stickers were no longer made in Wackys from that point on). The only exceptions were Wacky Pack Flashback and Wacky Pack Flashback 2, where the backgrounds were already made in the style of 1970s color patterns (I still got only the black borders, though) and Wacky Packages Chrome, which were the first foil cards (not stickers) since ANS7 and which I figured had in it the closest thing to the original 44 Die-Cuts as I'd ever get (again, I only got the basic chrome cards, though, and none of the variations).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 03:53:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »
Kids are not going to spend $2.68 on Wacky Packages when they can spend a similar amount for Pokemon and such.

Not saying our hobby will never come back to retail but I think we all know the reasons why it has switched to an online basis.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 02:45:26 PM »
No argument here.  I'd be fine if Topps never did another back or front variation again!  I'm good with base sets and sketch cards!  But I must say I did like the playing cards idea.
I agree again; it was a good idea, and a unique one. The only thing Topps botched up with it was not including the two Jokers, thus finishing the deck.

In fact, I'd love to see Topps take this Wacky subset and make it into an actual, physical playing card deck (this time, with the two Jokers included) and sell it themselves, if not on their website, then at least in brick-and-mortar stores. I'd buy it in a heartbeat! That's something you don't see every day, just like the Wacky jigsaw puzzle that Greg Grant sent out last year from the other forum. The only difference is playing cards I can use, but I don't do jigsaw puzzles.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 03:51:58 PM by mikecho »

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
Start having a shotty printing process again like the 70’s and people will forever buy packs to upgrade their sets.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »
Interesting topic. 

I like the Old School mode: 30 Base Cards and a puzzle/checklist. To make things more 'exciting', I would have randomly added sketches and then have maybe 6 additional cards either be short printed with new parodies or being variations of the base cards of the set.   By 'short printed', I don't mean having to buy a case to get one.  Maybe a couple in each box, so buying 3 boxes would get you a couple of base sets and the variations.  Making it fun to open packs and not concentrating as much on finding an ultra rare insert which usually ends with disappointment with piles and piles of extras and nothing to show for it; just trying to get a complete set which is obtainable without killing your wallet...and the environment  LOL

I think it would be better for the secondary market to not overproduce the product to make the base cards themselves more desirable.

Being a card collector in the 70's, the 'thrill of the hunt' was part of the fun as well.  I used to have to go to every five and dime and convenience store in the area to try to find more product. I doubt in the internet age, this can be done again.

I would love to see an OS 1-16 with coupon backs. Maybe reissue them along with a new 'modern' rendering of the same parody which would be the base set. Yes, including the cigarettes and the 'Seventon'- type non PC stuff. Maybe that would interest the kids by being a bit controversial.   

Offline bandaches

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2022, 05:07:13 AM »
I don't think this thread is geared towards what we adults who already love wackys would purchase so coupon backs and the like aren't really relevant in my mind.  I thought the question was in regards to getting kids to purchase these if they were in fact available in retail ever again.  I stand behind my statement that edgy has to come back.  Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, bring back Aunt Jemima, naked Butts, goofy characters, spoof the various Youtubers that draw their attention, spoof the influencers who have their attention on Twitter, spoof twitter, spoof facebook, spoof tiktok and the various dances and videos that have their attention, get into what they are into today and shake it up.  While not all of those are "store bought products" they are products, make a social media spoof series.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline mikecho

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 09:35:51 AM »
Interesting topic. 

I like the Old School mode: 30 Base Cards and a puzzle/checklist. To make things more 'exciting', I would have randomly added sketches and then have maybe 6 additional cards either be short printed with new parodies or being variations of the base cards of the set.   By 'short printed', I don't mean having to buy a case to get one.  Maybe a couple in each box, so buying 3 boxes would get you a couple of base sets and the variations.  Making it fun to open packs and not concentrating as much on finding an ultra rare insert which usually ends with disappointment with piles and piles of extras and nothing to show for it; just trying to get a complete set which is obtainable without killing your wallet...and the environment  LOL

I think it would be better for the secondary market to not overproduce the product to make the base cards themselves more desirable.

Being a card collector in the 70's, the 'thrill of the hunt' was part of the fun as well.  I used to have to go to every five and dime and convenience store in the area to try to find more product. I doubt in the internet age, this can be done again.

I would love to see an OS 1-16 with coupon backs. Maybe reissue them along with a new 'modern' rendering of the same parody which would be the base set. Yes, including the cigarettes and the 'Seventon'- type non PC stuff. Maybe that would interest the kids by being a bit controversial.
The last part of your statement was briefly done in Chrome's "Where Are They Now?" subset of five cards. I think this could be done again, only this time on a wider scale, as you said here. In fact, the way I see it, Topps could go all out with this and re-do as many of the original 44 Die-Cuts (and maybe include what we already know was going to be the 45th one, Lipoff Tea Bags), the 30 Wacky Ads (and again, include Good and Empty this time, maybe also include Mixwell Hearse and Muleburro (the Ad version) and possibly remove all six of the four-in-one Die-Cut cards in the Ads, since at least a few of them would've been done already), and the eight extra Wackys that were in the 2nd Series, etc. as they could, all with corresponding modern day Wackys of these products using the same parody names (when possible) and maybe the same jokes on the packaging - the ones that are still in existence, that is; remember, a great number of these products that were around between 1967 and 1976 no longer exist today. It would probably mean less products in the modern day versions of all 16 series than it was back then, but I'm sure Topps could adjust to this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 08:56:00 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »
I don't think this thread is geared towards what we adults who already love wackys would purchase so coupon backs and the like aren't really relevant in my mind.  I thought the question was in regards to getting kids to purchase these if they were in fact available in retail ever again.  I stand behind my statement that edgy has to come back.  Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, bring back Aunt Jemima, naked Butts, goofy characters, spoof the various Youtubers that draw their attention, spoof the influencers who have their attention on Twitter, spoof twitter, spoof facebook, spoof tiktok and the various dances and videos that have their attention, get into what they are into today and shake it up.  While not all of those are "store bought products" they are products, make a social media spoof series.
What you're describing is something similar to the 55 Wacky Websites (which were done as 52 card backs in ANS1, ANS2 and ANS3 and as three bonus stickers in ANS7) and the 20 Awful Apps (which were done as two 10-sticker subsets in both ANS9 and ANS10), am I right? Only this time, Topps could go all out with it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 01:41:42 PM by mikecho »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »

The motivation generated from experiencing the Thrill of the Hunt is gone and that was one of the huge positives of having retail releases. Like all things though, it pretty much ended when people figured out how to ascertain if a chase card was in the pack. Unfortunately all sorts of hobbies have succumb to such nonsense.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
The motivation generated from experiencing the Thrill of the Hunt is gone and that was one of the huge positives of having retail releases. Like all things though, it pretty much ended when people figured out how to ascertain if a chase card was in the pack. Unfortunately all sorts of hobbies have succumb to such nonsense.
You are so right.  That is why I enjoy the trading of the monthly series.  Or putting together a set of OS.  It is the thrill of the search (hunt).  I think that is why I enjoy PSA registry collecting.  There is always one you can look for that will enhance your collection.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 06:12:03 PM »
I love this discussion  :] ....so many ideas and common sense points made. So now here is my 2 cents.

Honestly I fear the Wacky Packages will die out just as us old Wacky collectors.  :sad: I bet if we conduct a poll, we would find what we all refuse to admit, that we're in our 50's, 60's, and older. I have tried to get my son (who is in this 20's and who is big into Yu-Gi-Oh! card games) to get hooked on Wackys, but with no success. We're a dying breed, with little to no interest by today's youth.

Secondly, what we all enjoyed growing up with Wacky Packages was the THRILL of the hunt!!!  :^) We needed to get the whole set. Unfortunately, the thrill of the hunt, has turned into how can I {Topps Company} make a bigger profit from these Wacky addicts?  >( I noticed this during the ANS phase of my addiction. Instead of just being satisficed to collect the set, it turned into now I need to collect the SAME titles, but with different borders? How much money am I willing to spend on these? Yikes!!! So I took a break from the Wacky world and went through detox (due to my wife to put a stop to my Wacky spending)  :-X ....only to find out I missed out on the world of Old School, Lost Wacky sets, and others.  :'(

There was also a time where I without better judgement and due to the need to come up with extra cash I sold all but a few of my Wackys from 1967-1976 era to pay bills....heck I even have nightmares from selling my 'Good n Empty' Ad (which was in near mint condition) for only $450  :o (which was a fair price then), but now wish I still have it.

Now that I am back on better financial ground (living within my means....not rich) I find myself playing catch-up...and forced to use places like this forum, ebay, and other venues to gather my collection again. Which is one reason why I have also focused my addition on a select few Wacky characters, than whole sets (which are still nice...don't get me wrong). For instance, if you didn't know already my favorite character is and always has been BLUNDER BREAD!!!

OK ok ok....enough about me, back to the topic. Here is what I would like see happen with the future of Wacky Packages. Go back to the basics.
* Wax wrappers (for online sales) and ANS style wrappers for store sales.
* Stickers have blank backs, with random inserts with ad backs.
* Each pack contain one card stock checklist with a puzzle piece.
* Each set(series) would have a variation of the puzzle (one common and one rare variation).
* Each box would contain either one of nine bonus stickers or a sketch card.

* common set stickers would be fresh new titles.
* bonus stickers & puzzles would be from previous set characters.
* each new series would have a different theme. Themes would be product types, comic book characters, movies/TV shows, political characters, world leaders, video games, books, magazines, pokemon, cartoon characters, etc....

This way everyone would be happy. There would be cheaper common sets (easier to complete), there would be ways to hunt for special puzzle pieces, and BIG buyers would still be able to cash in on special bonus stickers and sketch cards.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:54:50 AM by Corndog »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 06:41:57 PM »

Completely agree.   

I think one thing that subliminally appealed to me about Wackys as a kid was the edginess.  The willingness to taunt the establishment.   Hell, that's what gave us rare wackys at the time and we didn't even know it at the time.   Corporate America flipping out about a parody sticker!!??  Same reason I liked MAD Magazine and not so much Cracked or...what was the other one?   

Did tobacco wackys make me want to smoke?   Of course not.   Did alcohol wackys make me want to drink?   Of course not.   I didn't drink until my senior year in high school...wayyyyyyyy past my wacky days of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades.   

This whole PC shit today is killing comedy, killing parody, killing creativity.   While I enjoyed collecting the ANS series when they first came about, that joy quickly waned with ever-growing and ever-more-rare chase cards, lack of pushing the boundaries for PC's sake, and towards the end (for me at least, with ANS9, ANS10, and ANS11) the low-brow humor that just got to be too banal, too not funny, and down right repulsive.   And don't give me "that's what the kids want" BS...show me a wacky from the 70's, all the way up to series 16, that shows a character projectile-vomiting.   You can't.  It doesn't exist.   Even titles like Heave, Pepto Dismal, and Sicken of the Sea don't succumb to unnecessary graphic and gross images.   You simply see a goofy, queasy character....the rest is left to your imagination.

Is a coupon back going to make we want a "Call to Doody" sticker or an "Angry Turds" sticker?  Nope.   Not as a kid, not as an adult.
If series 2 back in the 70's had stickers the like of "Vomit" (parodying Comet) with a character graphically vomiting or "Bile" (parodying Dial) with a big cartoon turd, I would have never bought another wacky pack after that.    Instead they were zany, funny, and some even challenged the young mind of a child....what is a "Commie"?....did you use the word "vile" when you were in the 3rd grade?

What were we talking about.....oh yes, economics....at least I knew the value of a quarter when I was a kid....I doubt very seriously kids today know the value of anything.

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2022, 04:50:19 AM »
You have to have enough money to afford what you want, and for kids, that money comes from Mom and Dad. What is missing when you buy online (at adult prices) is the sense of wonder and mystery that comes from opening packs. My market research is from my 9 year old daughter and a couple of her friends. I have scored some unopened packs of Flashback and Re-issues and they absolutely LOVE opening packs. Some of the products they know, sone they dont, but they just love opening blind packs. Similarly they like opening minis. They also want to get the rares and complete a set. My daughter danced a jig when she got the last sticker to complete a Flashback set. They wouldnt know what Wackys are without me, but still think they are cool. They are not THAT keen on booger and turd stickers. But their main interest is opening packs. If i bought a completed set, they would just look through them once and be done. Im trying to keep it going to the next generation, but tastes and expectations have changed…

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »
You have to have enough money to afford what you want, and for kids, that money comes from Mom and Dad. What is missing when you buy online (at adult prices) is the sense of wonder and mystery that comes from opening packs. My market research is from my 9 year old daughter and a couple of her friends. I have scored some unopened packs of Flashback and Re-issues and they absolutely LOVE opening packs. Some of the products they know, sone they dont, but they just love opening blind packs. Similarly they like opening minis. They also want to get the rares and complete a set. My daughter danced a jig when she got the last sticker to complete a Flashback set. They wouldnt know what Wackys are without me, but still think they are cool. They are not THAT keen on booger and turd stickers. But their main interest is opening packs. If i bought a completed set, they would just look through them once and be done. Im trying to keep it going to the next generation, but tastes and expectations have changed…

cool story!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 09:11:47 AM »
totally agree with my market study of my kids and their friends, opening packs, chasing rares and completing sets is important.  Buying a completed set in a box, zero interest.  Some wackys do appeal to them, products they see in stores today and consume, my minis are all in their barbie houses.  They found back variations to be boring.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 05:06:48 PM »
Thought I'd wait a little while to chime in here. Lots of interesting and valid points, so far! The one thing most everyone seems to agree on is the importance of opening packs (and the thrill that goes along with the hunt). That would definitely be the #1 thing in my book, too.

As for back variations and things like coupons, keep in mind, these were never really meant to be chase items, just a small way to enhance the front side of the card and make the cards more interesting. At least, that's the primary intent. Inevitably, we want to collect all the cards, so it's natural that people choose to go after the coupon backs, too.

And then there's things like the wonkys, playing cards, sketch cards and portraits (the chase cards). We put a lot of thought into trying to find things that would be fun to collect. Naturally, some are more popular than others, but if they don't catch on with, we're always open to looking at new ideas.

The bottom line is that there will always be something people enjoy about wackys, but trying to find something that everyone enjoys is a bit more elusive. We may never get there, but in the meantime, I encourage you to support the sets we do get. Who knows how long we get to ride this train?

As an artist, a fan and a general card enthusiast, I'm just happy to see so many people share their enthusiasm here. Thanks for a lively discussion!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »
but trying to find something that everyone enjoys is a bit more elusive.

The Base Set covers this.  Lents, super cool refractors, magnets, sketches and all the other chase cards do not make a set. OS was nothing but a base set. OH, and don't short print anything. Short Print everything!!!. When its gone its gone! That line sells more shit than any other.

Jim

Offline bandaches

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2022, 07:33:30 PM »
Thought I'd wait a little while to chime in here. Lots of interesting and valid points, so far! The one thing most everyone seems to agree on is the importance of opening packs (and the thrill that goes along with the hunt). That would definitely be the #1 thing in my book, too.

As for back variations and things like coupons, keep in mind, these were never really meant to be chase items, just a small way to enhance the front side of the card and make the cards more interesting. At least, that's the primary intent. Inevitably, we want to collect all the cards, so it's natural that people choose to go after the coupon backs, too.

And then there's things like the wonkys, playing cards, sketch cards and portraits (the chase cards). We put a lot of thought into trying to find things that would be fun to collect. Naturally, some are more popular than others, but if they don't catch on with, we're always open to looking at new ideas.

The bottom line is that there will always be something people enjoy about wackys, but trying to find something that everyone enjoys is a bit more elusive. We may never get there, but in the meantime, I encourage you to support the sets we do get. Who knows how long we get to ride this train?

As an artist, a fan and a general card enthusiast, I'm just happy to see so many people share their enthusiasm here. Thanks for a lively discussion!
Neil,

Is your feedback for the "what would today's kids want" version of the responses or "what us nostalgic 50 and up" crowd would want?  This conversation seems to have diverged into those 2 directions. 

I will attempt to stay on course to the original question of how to make these appeal to kids.  So far, the kids I have shown wackys have shown very little interest in the sketches so the stand alone goofy character isn't the draw for them, the overall gag and product recognition is definitely appealing to them. 

The concept of collecting items that are instantly considered rare and valuable I feel has hurt collecting and turned it into investing.  When we were kids, we stuck them everywhere and we were not brainwashed into saving everything because it has "value" so the functional aspect of wacky packs being stickers is lost when there are prebuilt in "rares" and back variations.  The backs are meant to be discarded.  Ultimately, a decision has to be made if these are collectibles or something fun to play with and stick. 

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »

The concept of collecting items that are instantly considered rare and valuable I feel has hurt collecting and turned it into investing.   

Another important point made more succinctly than I.   Back in the 70's, and again I bring up that era because Wackys were without a doubt a most successful product during that time aimed at kids, nothing was intentionally produced to be "rare".   The only stickers that became "rare" were due to pulled titles over which Topps had no control.   Sure, there were some stickers that appeared more often on an uncut sheet than others, but that only enhanced the thrill of the chase.   Nothing was intentionally made, say, a 1 in 200 chance of obtaining.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2022, 04:52:29 AM »
Its true, kids (and some adults) like to chase rares. (Thus the name chase cards.) However, it gets expensive and frustrating trying to get a 1 in 256 card. As kids, we had a checklist, which drove sales…Sales and Marketing remain based on the premise that if you can get word of mouth….kids (and adults) will buy because they want to keep up with, or outdo, the cool kids…

anything