Author Topic: Knock Off Wackys - multiple series  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Wgblood

Knock Off Wackys - multiple series
« on: April 23, 2022, 09:26:44 AM »
One of my employees found out that I like Wacky Packages and brought these in for me. She can’t remember where exactly she got them - “somewhere online”.  Does anyone know what these are? There are originals, new series, mlb, and some that I don’t even know what they are.  Thanks!

Offline MoldRush

Re: Knock Off Wackys - multiple series
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 05:55:42 PM »
Amazon was offering a mixed lot of stickers that look like these, something like $8 per batch.  Are they bigger than what you’d expect on a standard 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 card?  I think they were marketed to a younger crowd that likes to stick stuff on skateboards, school lockers and whatnot.  Can’t say for sure because I never bought any, but they looked like these on the item page.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 06:58:26 PM »
I’ve purchased 3 or 4 lots of these that have appeared on Amazon or eBay over the past 15 years. In addition, my daughter gave me some for Christmas a few years ago. Most of them or nice vinyl stickers but definitely unlicensed.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »
They are really fun to stick them anywhere

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 02:34:41 PM »
This brings up a good question…if these knock offs are not licensed by Topps, but Topps’ Wacky Packages themselves are knock offs not licensed by the original brands….what does “unlicensed” really mean? I always preferred wackys because of the superior artwork and gags….
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 04:52:13 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 02:58:02 PM »
Parody and knock offs are two different things.

One is legal to a degree, the other is illegal to a degree.

Jim

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 04:56:03 PM »
True that. So, a knock off of a parody (which Topps spent time and money to develop said parody card) is illegal. With new mega dollar owners, i am not sure whether Topps is more or less likely to go after intellectual property thieves. I always felt if any of the companies who threatened to sue Topps actually did so, Topps would prevail as parody. This the continued existence of Mad Magazine (R.I.P.)….

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 08:31:01 PM »
True that. So, a knock off of a parody (which Topps spent time and money to develop said parody card) is illegal. With new mega dollar owners, i am not sure whether Topps is more or less likely to go after intellectual property thieves. I always felt if any of the companies who threatened to sue Topps actually did so, Topps would prevail as parody. This the continued existence of Mad Magazine (R.I.P.)….
Not sure what you mean by illegal like go to jail?  Topps sure doesn't seem to give a rats ass about protecting any image rights based on the numerous knockoff sets using wacky images found on ebay(pin ups etc).
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 06:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  The stickers are thin diecut stickers.
Good to know that I can turn to this forum whenever I have a Wacky related question.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:27:31 PM by Corndog »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 05:04:11 PM »
Thanks for helping me spend my Wacky Loot!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »
JOJ, if you'd like your question answered, first go to the Master Spreadsheet, look at the OS run (Die-Cuts to 16th Series), and you'll see just how many Wackys were pulled in that run. Then go over to the thread "What is the most-parodied Wacky?" in General Wacky Packages Discussion and look on pgs. 2 and 3 for more information on the subject there.

anything