Author Topic: Wrappers and Boxes  (Read 4773 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Wrappers and Boxes
« on: April 06, 2022, 10:28:56 AM »
I admit to shamelessly trying to drum up some posts.....But I was wondering how many of you collect empty wrappers and Boxes? Boxes to put on display seem very cool, although very expensive. Are boxes pretty rare? I am thinking that's because they were cardboard displays and were thrown out or destroyed by our tiny grabbing hands.....

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Wrappers and Boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
I collect both, and they are among my favorite items to collect (along with unopened packs). Wrappers are easy to find and inexpensive for the most part, with a few notable exceptions. Display boxes are much more difficult to find, especially in decent shape. Like many things in my collection, I obtained most of mine a long time ago, and so I really don’t know what they would currently go for.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:04:46 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 11:04:35 AM »
I collect boxes, and they are tough to find!!

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 11:40:18 AM »
I collect both, and they are among my favorite items to collect (along with unopened packs). Wrappers are easy to find and inexpensive for the most part, with a few notable exceptions. Display boxes are much more difficult to find, especially in decent shape. Like many things in my collection, I obtained most of mine a long time ago, and so I really don’t know what they would currently go for.

(Image removed from quote.)

JEALOUS.   Damn nice looking boxes and wrappers. Wow.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »
I also collect both and like has been mentioned, display boxes from OS are difficult to find in reasonable condition. I don't expect I'll ever have a complete run, but I do have about half the OS ones in most color variations. Like Dave said, wrappers are not a big deal to get hold of, with a few exceptions.

The cloth patches box is particularly elusive and Dave's is really nice. When I look at the photo of it, all I hear are the seagulls in Finding Nemo: "mine, mine, mine".  LOL

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 07:46:51 PM »
This represents a snapshot of the boxes I had at one time, I have since added to it but not updated the list.  I keep them all in a glass display case.

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/DisplayBoxes.html
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 09:56:45 AM »
I enjoyed collecting all the boxes, packs, and wrappers mainly with the ANS1 and beyond until there were too many subsets to collect. It was fun trying to gather the different packs from each series that were included in the different boxes (i.e., hobby, store, gravity feeders, blister packs, etc.).

My favorite were all the wax wrappers with the different variations in each 1970's series. However it is hard to know for sure which series had which wrapper at times, similar to knowing which are the later Wonder Bread series stickers verses normal series stickers.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »
This represents a snapshot of the boxes I had at one time, I have since added to it but not updated the list.  I keep them all in a glass display case.

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/HTML%20Stuff/DisplayBoxes.html

A picture of the display case would be awesome!! 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:21:39 AM by RawGoo »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
In terms of monetary value I do not know but some of the vertical feeds have been on the rare side because a point in time came in which Target wasn't fond of people taking the box even when buying each pack.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 01:11:55 AM »
In terms of monetary value I do not know but some of the vertical feeds have been on the rare side because a point in time came in which Target wasn't fond of people taking the box even when buying each pack.

Having regretted not keeping a box from the 70's, much less even at the time considering a box as a keeper (the only box I ever purchased was an 11th because by that time I had saved my dimes and quarters--oh why did I not keep it?  (btw, it was the last series I ever saw as a kid)), I decided early when the gravity boxes appeared for ANS2 to make it a goal to acquire a retail box for each series.   

I would often visit the same Target or Walmart, noticing how many packs were left in the box.   When they got down to a reasonable number, I would buy the lot and procure the box along with them.   Never got any slack from the check-out folks, except one time I seem to remember a girl asking her supervisor if it was ok.   And one time I used my familiar line, "that's all the packs left in box," and this one girl started to chunk the box in the trash.   I must have left out the most horrible gasp as it never left her hand, thank goodness.   I was like, "No, I'll just take the box and save you the trouble."    >( ;D
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »
Having regretted not keeping a box from the 70's, much less even at the time considering a box as a keeper (the only box I ever purchased was an 11th because by that time I had saved my dimes and quarters--oh why did I not keep it?  (btw, it was the last series I ever saw as a kid)), I decided early when the gravity boxes appeared for ANS2 to make it a goal to acquire a retail box for each series.   

I would often visit the same Target or Walmart, noticing how many packs were left in the box.   When they got down to a reasonable number, I would buy the lot and procure the box along with them.   Never got any slack from the check-out folks, except one time I seem to remember a girl asking her supervisor if it was ok.   And one time I used my familiar line, "that's all the packs left in box," and this one girl started to chunk the box in the trash.   I must have left out the most horrible gasp as it never left her hand, thank goodness.   I was like, "No, I'll just take the box and save you the trouble."    >( ;D
I’ve done that with Pez counter boxes a few times and sometimes retail candy boxes if there’s visual appeal.  I do recall a couple times where I also had to stop the cashier from tossing the box aside, but literally all you’re doing is reducing their garbage output just a tiny bit, so it’s kind of silly for anyone to question it.  The best scenario you can hope for is for a self-checkout option.  No one worries about container theft, only the product inside, so no concerns about security stickers or anything like that.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 07:00:30 AM »
I admit to shamelessly trying to drum up some posts.....But I was wondering how many of you collect empty wrappers and Boxes? Boxes to put on display seem very cool, although very expensive. Are boxes pretty rare? I am thinking that's because they were cardboard displays and were thrown out or destroyed by our tiny grabbing hands.....

When I first got back into collecting Wackys in the late 90's, I picked up one wrapper from each original series.  I like how some have displayed them flat, but I keep mine folded up in the 9 pocket pages with the stickers from the respective series.  I was able to pick up a couple boxes (I think 11th and 16th) that weren't too expensive.  I'd love to get another display box or two, but I rarely see them for sale (though maybe i'm not looking too hard).

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
I’d love to get another 16th box to upgrade my damaged one.  Funny how the rarest & priciest series in terms of the cards has one of the more common boxes associated with it, although I’m not sure if the term common applies anymore for any OS boxes.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 01:25:03 PM »
I’d love to get another 16th box to upgrade my damaged one.  Funny how the rarest & priciest series in terms of the cards has one of the more common boxes associated with it, although I’m not sure if the term common applies anymore for any OS boxes.

It actually makes perfect sense when you realize that the vast majority of the 16ths that are out there come from finds of unopened material. So a lot of the boxes were opened to put sets together and the boxes were retained.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »
Agreed, unfortunately I couldn’t capitalize on that in the late 90’s when a dealer from the NJ and Philly shows who had a copious supply of 14th, 15th and 16th packs did not have any boxes to go along with them.  I remember asking him but did not ask the follow-up question as to why - did his supply come without boxes, had he already sold them, etc.  My beat-up 16th box ultimately came from a different source.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 03:39:58 PM »

On a few occasions the cashier used the line "The manager won't allow anyone to take those boxes but if you want her to come over....."

My response was always the same and it went a little like this: I appreciate you doing your job and you can have your manager come over here but I guarantee he/she won't have any issue with me taking the box. I can always go next door to Walmart and I don't think Target wants to lose a Ben Franklin over a cardboard box." Was I a dick? Maybe but I don't take well to nonsense and when I am purchasing the entire feed, you bet I am taking the box too.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 08:17:52 AM »
On occasion I’ve also been guilty of shifting product from a half-full box to another so as to create that ‘just a few left’ scenario and justify taking the box along with a purchase.  Of course you have to have multiple boxes of the same product present in order to pull it off, but again no offense committed.  You’re just consolidating their inventory and freeing up shelf space when all is said and done.  This was easy to do with Pez boxes, but I have noticed in the past few years that blister packs hanging from a peg stand (sans boxes) have become much more prominent than the bagged dispensers in themed boxes, so box opportunities have been few and far between.  The blister packs have much more eye appeal and maybe an extra roll of candy, so they’re charging much more also.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 10:28:03 PM »
On occasion I’ve also been guilty of shifting product from a half-full box to another so as to create that ‘just a few left’ scenario and justify taking the box along with a purchase. 

I did that a few times as well.    8)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »
Im not a packaging expert, but is there a UPC bar code on the bottom of boxes? Is that the issue? Or are the store employees merely following their store policy????

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 04:50:31 PM »
Im not a packaging expert, but is there a UPC bar code on the bottom of boxes? Is that the issue? Or are the store employees merely following their store policy????
From what I’ve seen cardboard boxes are flattened and compressed into those baling machines behind the store for recycling pickup.  Whether smaller counter boxes are treated differently I’m not sure.  Coincidentally my local municipality announced a policy change in January asking that only brown corrugated cardboard be put out for recycling.  Any cardboard with a glossy colored finish on one side, like cereal boxes, toothpaste boxes, etc are to be thrown out with regular trash.  That’s a major change after many years of including everything.  But either way, the only way I could see packaging being important to a business is to possibly get a credit or refund for unsold/expired product, similar to returning the title strip from magazines or front page from newspapers.  But in this case, we’re looking to abscond with a box under the pretense that all product contained therein is spoken for, once we’ve shown we are buying whatever is left in it.  So there’s no defensible reason for anyone to give you a hard time - I chalk up any difficulties to the employee never having encountered such a request before, and being bewildered by it, the proverbial deer in the headlights.  Makes me want to say “it’s not a trick question, I just have an unusual hobby.”

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 02:53:03 PM »

It is kind of strange that the ANS gravity boxes and store ad-sheets have not been assigned price-guide values, as they're not exactly plentiful.  Once each set was gone from the store, the only boxes and ads in circulation are the ones that collectors took the trouble to buy their packs inside of without the cashiers either tossing them or saying, "that ain't for sale, sir."

I remember when the shipping boxes for the 1-16 sets first started getting discovered, they were a big deal since that's the kind of thing that would end up as trash 99.9% of the time.  At least the display boxes had the potential to survive if a kid bought a whole box of Wackys & decided to just keep his sets in there or something.

It would be interesting to get a tally of how much of this stuff exists, too.  I only have the ad-sheet for ANS 1 and 2 (and possibly one more), and about 7 gravity boxes for various sets.  I can't imagine there would be more than 10 or 20 of these kind of things out there.  I mean, maybe gravity boxes for the later series.  But early on, I don't know that people gathered them much.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 07:15:21 AM »
It is kind of strange that the ANS gravity boxes and store ad-sheets have not been assigned price-guide values, as they're not exactly plentiful.  Once each set was gone from the store, the only boxes and ads in circulation are the ones that collectors took the trouble to buy their packs inside of without the cashiers either tossing them or saying, "that ain't for sale, sir."

I remember when the shipping boxes for the 1-16 sets first started getting discovered, they were a big deal since that's the kind of thing that would end up as trash 99.9% of the time.  At least the display boxes had the potential to survive if a kid bought a whole box of Wackys & decided to just keep his sets in there or something.

It would be interesting to get a tally of how much of this stuff exists, too.  I only have the ad-sheet for ANS 1 and 2 (and possibly one more), and about 7 gravity boxes for various sets.  I can't imagine there would be more than 10 or 20 of these kind of things out there.  I mean, maybe gravity boxes for the later series.  But early on, I don't know that people gathered them much.

I saved one or two gravity feeds for most of the ANS, though I think I've already thrown out the ones I had doubles on.  My recollection is that folks did try to grab those, so I suspect there may be more than you think, but who knows for sure.  They are a unique item and I would think, other than that they are hard to store, would be sought after by collectors.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2022, 05:58:14 PM »
I saved one or two gravity feeds for most of the ANS, though I think I've already thrown out the ones I had doubles on.  My recollection is that folks did try to grab those, so I suspect there may be more than you think, but who knows for sure.  They are a unique item and I would think, other than that they are hard to store, would be sought after by collectors.

I have gravity feeds for ANS2-ANS10, as well as FB1, FB2, Chrome, and 50th.   Some have interesting anecdotes on how they were obtained.    :]

Was there a gravity feed for ANS1?   I don't remember seeing one....

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
So, what's the consensus on value / rarity among the collectors for gravity boxes?  10 bucks, 100 bucks, 2¢?  Totally curious why this specific item doesn't seem to have an associated value.  I never see the on eBay either.  And the ad sheets must be exponentially rare, as a lot of stores didn't even put them out, let alone make them available.  Any guesses?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 03:52:41 PM »
So, what's the consensus on value / rarity among the collectors for gravity boxes?  10 bucks, 100 bucks, 2¢?  Totally curious why this specific item doesn't seem to have an associated value.  I never see the on eBay either.  And the ad sheets must be exponentially rare, as a lot of stores didn't even put them out, let alone make them available.  Any guesses?
Sounds like these are low quantity but low demand items which are the worst to put a value on.  Those tend to have the widest disparity based on timing, someone happens to want them when they are for sale and boom, there is value.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 08:56:56 PM »

Was there a gravity feed for ANS1?   I don't remember seeing one....

Beuller?   Beuller?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 09:25:41 PM »
That's because there was NOT one.

Jim

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 10:46:00 PM »

I have a few too and considered pitching them when I recently moved as they take up so much space! Hung onto them though…
A

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 03:16:29 AM »
I have a few too and considered pitching them when I recently moved as they take up so much space! Hung onto them though…
A

I have most of them, and am considering selling them for space reasons, too.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 08:26:09 AM »
I have most of them, and am considering selling them for space reasons, too.
I had a couple of shipping cases for I think ANS2 or ANS3 and recycled them

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »
I had a couple of shipping cases for I think ANS2 or ANS3 and recycled them

I can see it now, Ernie... The year is 2045, and some collector claims to have the rarest ANS Wacky item in history... an ANS2 shipping box he found as a kid in his neighbor's recycling can.  Some on the forum think he's making it up and this item can't possibly exist, or it's a counterfeit.  But he eBay's it with no reserve and it hits $5 Billion dollars!

Then of course, we all realize that, adjusted for inflation, that record price is actually $1.50 in 2019-era dollars.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2023, 09:36:31 AM »
I have a bunch of ANS gravity feeds and shipping cases here - does anybody collect them? 

Offline chipereno

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2023, 10:35:26 AM »

Lots of trips to Target back in the day!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 10:40:57 AM by chipereno »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2023, 12:32:01 PM »

That's the understatement of the year, Chip!  Impressive!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2023, 01:12:21 PM »

I guess you don't need mine.........  All I can say is "WOW!"

anything