Author Topic: 1991 psa 10 shill bidding  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Bigmuc13

Re: 1991 psa 10 shill bidding
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2022, 07:08:47 PM »
...Or also like when the guy selling bottles of water for $4 ea. at an event sabotages the drinking fountain.

I wonder if National Spittoon has a problem with vendors selling bottles of water for $4 a a concert when you can buy a case of 48 bottles at the grocery stores for $3.98. To me that is way worse than what he was talking about.  Or $12 for a beer. 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 01:39:14 AM »
I wonder if National Spittoon has a problem with vendors selling bottles of water for $4 a a concert when you can buy a case of 48 bottles at the grocery stores for $3.98. To me that is way worse than what he was talking about.  Or $12 for a beer.

FREE ENTERPRISE! IT’S THE FREE ENTERPRISE! DEAL WITH IT!

No, water is not a hobby. This is. A hobby shouldn’t be turned into an enterprise by the collectors. It’s no longer a hobby at that point, it’s a business.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2022, 06:37:03 AM »
FREE ENTERPRISE! IT’S THE FREE ENTERPRISE! DEAL WITH IT!

No, water is not a hobby. This is. A hobby shouldn’t be turned into an enterprise by the collectors. It’s no longer a hobby at that point, it’s a business.

I still don't get your logic.  Yes, this is a hobby.  There are thousands of people that turn their hobby into a business.  That is free enterprise. You might not like it, but everyone has the right to do it if they want to.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »
Ironically, I already stated that it should not be illegal. I just don’t support the act of flipping.

I’m not quite sure what there isn’t to understand, but I will abstain from another redundant post.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2022, 12:01:22 PM »
Ironically, I already stated that it should not be illegal. I just don’t support the act of flipping.

I’m not quite sure what there isn’t to understand, but I will abstain from another redundant post.

OK, but there is no irony as I never stated that it should be illegal.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2022, 06:00:20 PM »
Well, I should add that I have no problem with $4 bottles of water at a ballgame as long as they allow you to bring your own water in.  That's the "free" in free enterprise, which I agree with.  So, when it comes to shill bidding, it's all about "transparency".  As long as a buyer knows that a seller is bidding his own stuff up, that's fine.  That would be like a 'floating reserve price' or something.  It's the obfuscation of it that makes it shilling in my book.  Which is why I think it's totally fair when prospective bidders rally together to decide a price and a selected bidder amongst them beforehand.  Evens the playing field in a way.  But I haven't used eBay or any auction for a very very long time. . .

They actually closed my account without my consent just for not logging in for a while.  Original user since early 1997 (so early that I never had to give them my credit card all this time)... and they shut it down just for not logging in.  Always liked to call it "EvilBay", and they've proved it again.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2022, 07:42:21 PM »
Well, I should add that I have no problem with $4 bottles of water at a ballgame as long as they allow you to bring your own water in.  That's the "free" in free enterprise, which I agree with.  So, when it comes to shill bidding, it's all about "transparency".  As long as a buyer knows that a seller is bidding his own stuff up, that's fine.  That would be like a 'floating reserve price' or something.  It's the obfuscation of it that makes it shilling in my book.  Which is why I think it's totally fair when prospective bidders rally together to decide a price and a selected bidder amongst them beforehand.  Evens the playing field in a way.  But I haven't used eBay or any auction for a very very long time. . .

They actually closed my account without my consent just for not logging in for a while.  Original user since early 1997 (so early that I never had to give them my credit card all this time)... and they shut it down just for not logging in.  Always liked to call it "EvilBay", and they've proved it again.
Wow, didn't know they would close down dormant accounts.  I think you and I became users of ebay before it was ebay, it was a classified ads website/auction site.  The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997 so I am not sure if one can have an ebay profile from earlier than Sept 1997, mine is September 1997 but I was a user of Auctionweb prior.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline drono

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2022, 01:09:07 PM »
The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997 so I am not sure if one can have an ebay profile from earlier than Sept 1997, mine is September 1997 but I was a user of Auctionweb prior.

Mine is Feb 28, 1997.  I was a user of AuctionWeb too, and I've never given them any credit card info.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2022, 06:43:33 PM »
Mine is Feb 28, 1997.  I was a user of AuctionWeb too, and I've never given them any credit card info.
Interesting, I wonder why mine matches when ebay actually started in September.  I could swear I was using ebay was it wasn't even auctionweb yet, it was like a west coast classified ads thing that people all across the country would use.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 02:09:56 AM »
Ernie... You're right.  AuctionWeb!  I totally forgot.  I guess that's why I started calling them "EvilBay", too, since the name changed & it felt like a new entity had taken over when the newer rules started making things more difficult.  If I remember right, it used to be free to list in the beginning, too.  And there weren't such things as 'reserve price auctions'.  AND you could see the email of the sellers, too, which was good for resourceful bidders and not so good for those waiting to spike on the last day.  Man, all the drama in those days over people contacting sellers & getting them to sell privately, and of course finding out about all the rest of the Wackys they also had.  It was still a "First Come, First Served" world where the resorceful sleuths still had the upper hand regardless of their bankrolls.  And we all spent many an hour arguing on the forums of the day about the 4 or 5 different styles of aquiring Wackys and which was more ethical, etc.  Wealth vs. Skill & Timing.  Collectors vs. Dealers.  In-group Back-scratching vs. Robin Hood Trickle-down...

...well anyway, regardless of my original support, my exclusive 1997 AuctionWeb/Evilbay Club Card is no more.  I probably didn't have the earliest signup, but I'm guessing mine was the only one still left without a credit-card on file, though... which I was proud of.  Hope no one else lost theirs due to inactivity.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2022, 04:19:54 AM »
Ernie... You're right.  AuctionWeb!  I totally forgot.  I guess that's why I started calling them "EvilBay", too, since the name changed & it felt like a new entity had taken over when the newer rules started making things more difficult.  If I remember right, it used to be free to list in the beginning, too.  And there weren't such things as 'reserve price auctions'.  AND you could see the email of the sellers, too, which was good for resourceful bidders and not so good for those waiting to spike on the last day.  Man, all the drama in those days over people contacting sellers & getting them to sell privately, and of course finding out about all the rest of the Wackys they also had.  It was still a "First Come, First Served" world where the resorceful sleuths still had the upper hand regardless of their bankrolls.  And we all spent many an hour arguing on the forums of the day about the 4 or 5 different styles of aquiring Wackys and which was more ethical, etc.  Wealth vs. Skill & Timing.  Collectors vs. Dealers.  In-group Back-scratching vs. Robin Hood Trickle-down...

...well anyway, regardless of my original support, my exclusive 1997 AuctionWeb/Evilbay Club Card is no more.  I probably didn't have the earliest signup, but I'm guessing mine was the only one still left without a credit-card on file, though... which I was proud of.  Hope no one else lost theirs due to inactivity.

I joined in Fall, 1998 and have never had a credit card on file. But I have also been exclusively a buyer.

Offline drono

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2022, 04:38:31 AM »
AND you could see the email of the sellers, too, which was good for resourceful bidders and not so good for those waiting to spike on the last day.

I was contacted by one eBayer who was angry that I won with a last-second bid.  I simply replied that they should have bid higher.

I joined in Fall, 1998 and have never had a credit card on file. But I have also been exclusively a buyer.

I've never had a credit card on file either, but I did sell a few items in the early '90s.  I think what make eBay explode was integrating with PayPal.  I hated having to send or wait for money orders or as a buyer and seller, respectively.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »

I too have been a Ebay users for OVER twenty years. I bought and sold countless items. However, lately I have only bought various items, until earlier this week.

I sold my first item in over a decade. So Ebay has a rule if you haven't sold anything recently they will hold the buyer's money hostage until you send the item to your buyer. My issue is the item I sold was had a final price over $2,300. So now, because I fall under the 'haven't sold things lately' category Ebay is hold my $2,300+ hostage until I not only send the item, but until it is delivered. What kind of crap is that?!?!?!

When I complained to Ebay they assured me that they are not earning interest on my money. However, I countered that I was losing interest on the money they are holding hostage, and that I should be compensated for my money being held hostage. Of course they basically told me to go pound sand.

Offline drono

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2022, 01:52:46 PM »
Ebay has a rule if you haven't sold anything recently they will hold the buyer's money hostage until you send the item to your buyer.

That's good to know.  If I ever start selling again, I'll make sure my first sale is a low dollar item.  Thanks for the info.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
It's great to know that I wasn't the only one who never gave eBay my credit card info.  Part of me wishes I'd seen their jerky email soon enough to save my 1997 account.  But the rest of me says 'good riddance' EvilBay!  They used to be cool in the early days, but it didn't take them long to keep milking $ out of both sides of the transactions & treating everyone like numbers.  So, they're really in the same boat as the social media companies & Amazon, none of which I use.  So, in a way, them ditching my account was like getting a digital bath.  ...An old-fashioned dude one, of course... like on "Duzn't Do Nuthin"... none of this "Jean Nutty" stuff.  Grrrr...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2022, 09:45:05 PM »

So, in a way, them ditching my account was like getting a digital bath.  ...An old-fashioned dude one, of course... like on "Duzn't Do Nuthin"... none of this "Jean Nutty" stuff.  Grrrr...

Toadally dude!    :]

These two wacky bathers might make a good mashup.

I'll scrub your back if you do mine.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2022, 03:29:29 PM »
Heh... forgot there was someone with that moniker on here.  No offense to the person, just the late-series Wacky.
(I just noticed the spelling of 'moniker'... why isn't it pronounced, "mon-ike-er", or have a "c"?)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
Heh... forgot there was someone with that moniker on here.  No offense to the person, just the late-series Wacky.
(I just noticed the spelling of 'moniker'... why isn't it pronounced, "mon-ike-er", or have a "c"?)

I feel like “moniker” is one of the few words that makes sense phonetically. I’m learning Serbian, which is quite difficult. However, each letter strictly has one pronunciation. So, no “cat” vs. “face” for example. Not sure why those were the first two words I thought of…

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2022, 06:21:43 AM »
I feel like “moniker” is one of the few words that makes sense phonetically. I’m learning Serbian, which is quite difficult. However, each letter strictly has one pronunciation. So, no “cat” vs. “face” for example. Not sure why those were the first two words I thought of…

To quote the incomparable Benny Hill:

She said, "You can't even see straight now."
He said, "I can see straight, you don't have to shout."
He said, "I can see clear as a die that cat coming in's only got one eye."
She said, "That cat ain't coming in; he's going out."
Send me your borderless wackys!

anything