Author Topic: Can you help identify these?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Brian Mc

Can you help identify these?
« on: March 13, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
Hey y'all,

I bought these a little while back, but have been unable to identify the specifics about them... like Year, Series, etc. They're printed on rigid card stock, and shiny-coated on both sides - they almost feel plastic. I have fourteen and the characters highlighted on the back of each card have a tenuous connection to the images on the front (except Cap'n Crud card).

They look legit, but were these official releases? How many are in the set? Anyone have any knowledge of these? I took the Ratz picture at an angle so you could see how shiny the coating is.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:41:30 AM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Re: Can you help identify these?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 10:14:14 AM »
I would think if they are bootlegs, they wouldn’t bother with copyright/trademark info on the back. It is interesting how there are a mix of Original Series and ANS titles…You have stumped my limited knowledge. My best guess would be done kind of promo or vending machine items?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 08:02:43 PM by JailOJohn »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »
They are definitely legit, Topps offered them in their online store maybe 10 years ago.  People could even customize the backs.  There is at least one recent thread here about them.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »

They were released by Topps - you actually could design your own but then they released a set. Came out around the time that they first started doing the post cards way back.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:25:50 PM by wormypackages »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 08:12:10 PM »
What were the details of the officially released set? I'm looking for one, incidentally.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 11:21:00 PM »
What were the details of the officially released set? 

I have a set along with the printout of the Topps online store at the time:  Jan 19, 2008.   I ordered a custom Plastered card.   I guess you could order a set of the 14 templates as well as N copies of your own custom card.   On your custom card, you could print a header and footer on the front, as well as a background color, and on the reverse you could have a custom photo w/caption and up to 8 lines of text.   I remember this because I also saved a rough layout of the card I ordered.

Topps must have done this after a successful promo at the 2007 Philly card show.   There were 9 templates, as well as a more strict template on the back with a picture of Band Aches and predefined information you could add:

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 02:41:29 AM »
Wow - great memory.  I remember going in with a group and designing a particular set.  The fronts were as pictured but as you said, you could customize the back.  I remember ordering multiple sets but a few weeks after getting them, the person that put in the order asked if I would sell him back a couple of sets due to folks wanting a particular “set”.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »
Hey y'all,

I bought these a little while back, but have been unable to identify the specifics about them... like Year, Series, etc. They're printed on rigid card stock, and shiny-coated on both sides - they almost feel plastic. I have fourteen and the characters highlighted on the back of each card have a tenuous connection to the images on the front (except Cap'n Crud card).

They look legit, but were these official releases? How many are in the set? Anyone have any knowledge of these? I took the Ratz picture at an angle so you could see how shiny the coating is.

I just located my cards. The set you have was the customly designed set.  There were 14 cards in the set.  The backs were customized with whatever character you wanted.  For instance we matched Burn em with Charboy etc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 07:44:54 AM »
Wow, great information! I didn't come back to Wackys until about 2010, so these were a mystery to me. Thanks so much!!
Brian Mc