Author Topic: Checklist puzzles  (Read 2259 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Checklist puzzles
« on: March 12, 2022, 08:39:03 AM »
I am getting close to having all original series stickers, only missing 1 or 2 series…My question for you expert collectors is…how crucial do you feel the checklist/puzzle cards are? I have a few complete puzzles of the middle series, but am missing complete puzzles on many series. I know its a matter of personal preference, but looking to get some opinions, as puzzles are fairly expensive…

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Checklist puzzles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 08:53:22 AM »
You should complete them… unless you don’t want to.

Ironically, they’re pretty cheap IMO for the most part. Yes, series 16’s is expensive but that’s a given. Other than that, the cloth puzzle is expensive. Not much else.

The diecut puzzle is really hard to find!!!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 08:56:58 AM »
I am getting close to having all original series stickers, only missing 1 or 2 series…My question for you expert collectors is…how crucial do you feel the checklist/puzzle cards are? I have a few complete puzzles of the middle series, but am missing complete puzzles on many series. I know its a matter of personal preference, but looking to get some opinions, as puzzles are fairly expensive…

My 2 cents - I would consider a raw set incomplete without the puzzle.  And they look so good in pages!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 09:00:19 AM »
Agree puzzle sets look nice in pages. Due to horror stories about expensive stickers being ruined in card pages, my 1-4 and 10-15 series are in individual sleeves rather than pages…
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:59:28 PM by JailOJohn »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 09:09:31 AM »
Agree puzzle sets look nice in pages. Due to horror stories about expensive stickers being ruined in card pages, my 1-4 and 10-15 series ate in individual sleeves rather than pages…

Understandable.  Most puzzles aren't too expensive.  Except for Series 16, of course.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 09:29:58 AM »
Puzzle pieces are more rigid. So, I for one keep them in pages and my other cards in a penny sleeve - toploader combo or PSA’ed.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
I’m a big believer in including the puzzles, both from a completist standpoint and a nostalgic one.  By nostalgic I’m referring more to the checklist side of the cards.  From the unique font to the distinct logo (i.e., ‘Wacky Packages’ spelled out in its own unique font), the thumbnail Topps product icons and the (eventually) changing background color, it’s always appealed to me a lot.  I guess part of it was also just reviewing the titles to see which ones you still haven’t seen, and trying to guess what the products are if it’s not obvious.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »
I’m a big believer in including the puzzles, both from a completist standpoint and a nostalgic one.  By nostalgic I’m referring more to the checklist side of the cards.  From the unique font to the distinct logo (i.e., ‘Wacky Packages’ spelled out in its own unique font), the thumbnail Topps product icons and the (eventually) changing background color, it’s always appealed to me a lot.  I guess part of it was also just reviewing the titles to see which ones you still haven’t seen, and trying to guess what the products are if it’s not obvious.

I used the checklists to put my stickers in order, too.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »
Agree with Pat about checklists helping put stickers in order…How averse are you folks to marked checklists???

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
No aversion per se - while I like clean unmarked checklists for my series sets, I don’t shun marked checklists as miscellaneous keeper material.  I like them for the little stories they tell - they were in some kid’s hands back in the day, and he or she was collecting and keeping track just like we were.  Interestingly, most of the ones I’ve come across only have a few titles checked, suggesting that most kids were in the same boat I was - struggling to scrape together some change to buy them and/or find sellers who weren’t constantly out of stock.  Also, most I’ve seen are from early Series, primarily 3, 4 and 5, which also makes sense - the height of the craze.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »
No aversion per se - while I like clean unmarked checklists for my series sets, I don’t shun marked checklists as miscellaneous keeper material.  I like them for the little stories they tell - they were in some kid’s hands back in the day, and he or she was collecting and keeping track just like we were.  Interestingly, most of the ones I’ve come across only have a few titles checked, suggesting that most kids were in the same boat I was - struggling to scrape together some change to buy them and/or find sellers who weren’t constantly out of stock.  Also, most I’ve seen are from early Series, primarily 3, 4 and 5, which also makes sense - the height of the craze.

I used to mark the top left piece of the puzzle.

anything