Author Topic: 1982 album series  (Read 1513 times)

Online JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
1982 album series
« on: May 11, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »
I found only a few mentions in some several year old threads. I found my set of these 120 stickers in a 3-ring binder. I dont love them because of their slightly smaller size. I guess that was so they would fit in the album. There are some good titles reprinted. At the risk of being pelted with rocks and garbage… What do you collectors think of the 1982 series?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:47:42 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline FourRoses

Re: 1982 album series
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 06:32:34 PM »
The small stickers (like many Topps in the 80's) was a nice departure from what we were used to and still used to today. What I do remember is the poor collation of the stickers in the boxes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 06:04:35 AM by FourRoses »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
I was very pumped when this series came out because it had a very high title count, including several which were not part of the ‘79-‘80 Reissues.  I didn’t mind the smaller size, as it didn’t really detract from the clarity of the images.  My only complaint is that they seemed to disappear before I could finish the set.  Or maybe I was dealing with other distractions at the time and lost focus, not sure.  I was 15 that year and going through freshman year of high school, so lots of new stuff going on.

I will say that the album made things a bit awkward.  While I liked the idea of grouping stickers by product type, creating ‘Wacky Supermarket’-like visuals, the background artwork in the album was strange to say the least.

As for the comment on poor collation in the previous post, I think that was more of an issue in the 77-title 1986 album set.  I don’t necessarily know for certain that 1982 collation was good, but the 1986 set had a very well-established issue.  Some full boxes only contained 33 of the 77 titles, and other boxes only the other 44.  So it was impossible to finish a set from a single box.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:43 PM »

…
As for the comment on poor collation in the previous post, I think that was more of an issue in the 77-title 1986 album set.  I don’t necessarily know for certain that 1982 collation was good, but the 1986 set had a very well-established issue.  Some full boxes only contained 33 of the 77 titles, and other boxes only the other 44.  So it was impossible to finish a set from a single box.

Was Super Impulse around back then taking notes?  :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online JailOJohn

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 08:16:30 PM »
I also was in high school, and not super interested in Wackys any more. I DO remember they were “only a quarter,” which is pretty funny, considering 8 years earlier 5 or 10 cents seemed like a lot of money….

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 01:25:12 AM »

Interesting, the only pricing reference I have at my fingertips for 1982 and 1986 is the Wacky Packages Gallery, which simply lists the 82 set at $60 and the 86 set at $20.   Granted, the Gallery was printed 22 years ago.   

So, as far as buying boxes, are you saying you had a 50/50 shot at getting a box that contained "the" 44 titles and a box that contained "the" other 33 titles.   IMHO, that's not such a bad collation issue; ie, no intentional short prints or anything....you just had luck of the draw at boxes.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 04:58:22 AM »
Fair point, I suppose it would matter most from the perspective of a pack-by-pack buying scenario, like during the OS era, where a kid with limited funds would hit a wall and get stymied out of finishing a set as long as he/she was pulling packs from a single box.  But that’s kind of a moot point with the 1986 minis, because they never got marketed through retail as originally intended.  IIRC, Topps dumped all the volume sometime later and it wound up in the hands of card dealers who would have it on hand for years to come, still priced cheaply enough for the older collector to buy by the box.  Even still, if I bought say 8 boxes only to find out 6 were one type and 2 the other, I’d be mightily frustrated by that.

Online JailOJohn

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 05:19:18 AM »
I looked at boxes on Gregs site to recall they were 25 cents per pack. Which didn’t seem like much money when i was in high school…but was still 5 times higher than 70s Wackys. Of course with  todays inflation, EVERYTHING at a pre 2020 price seems like a relative bargain…
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:31:05 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 12:36:23 PM »
The album idea was great (from the company point of view), because it helped encouraged you to buy more packs to complete the album. Today as a collector, I'm sure we all have a blank and completed album of each album series. The OPC series is harder to find.

I kind of like the idea of having a new album series. It would add a newer element to the 'old school' feel. Because I know I would for sure collect a virgin set (unused/clean album/stickers) and used set (complete album with stickers).

Maybe with all the history and knowledge from Topps/creators/artists/etc. there should be NEW collector albums for each series (or like Series 1-4, 5-10, 11-16). Similar to this Wacky Forum and Gregg's Wacky website the pages of the album would be packed full of everything to know about each series. Information and images of the base set, explanations of short runs/replacements, any possible variations, different boxes/wrappers of the set, list of artists (with artist photos) for each card (concept and actual artist...if known), various copyrights, and breakdown of any subsets and border/back variations.

In addition to selling series albums, there would be packs of stickers associated to each series. These packs would include 5 sticker cards, and one puzzle card. The puzzle card would have either a checklist of the series (similar to the original), a picture of the series box, or original wrappers. The completed puzzle would be the same as the original puzzle(s) (some series had more than one puzzle). The Album would have an empty 9 slot card holders to place the puzzle pieces (one page for each puzzle of the series or any variation of the puzzle).

Each sticker/card would be standard size, but would have two stickers per card (OR be the size of Wonky Ad cards, but with three to four Wackys on each card).Therefore, the wacky would be similar size as the minis stickers or slightly larger. Images in the album would be match the size of the stickers wackys. Otherwise, the binder would be too big for normal sized wackys, plus these stickers would not be confused with the actual original wacky series stickers.

These new binders would include all the Wacky series starting with 1967 & 69 punch cards-stickers, all the ANS sets/subsets, Old School sets, even a binder for all the Mars Wacky Attacky sets and explains the foreign sets (Canada/UK) which include sticker titles that weren't apart of the US sets....and/or more that I didn't mention. Basically an ultimate album/source of history/knowledge/artists of the Wacky Packages world.

That's my 2cents....

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:50:20 AM by Corndog »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 03:58:34 PM »
Is this the series with two different album covers, made in Italy?