Author Topic: ANS7 sealed pack auctions  (Read 12866 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
ANS7 sealed pack auctions
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
I’m sorry if this has been already talked about, but how can someone tell if there is an autographed foil / auto error / Sketch in an unopened pack?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-ANS7-AUTO-SKETCH-ERROR-CARD-HOT-PACK-/280566548960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415311c9e0

I just bought it to see what this is all about. I have to see if there are any type of visual clues.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
RE: ANS7 sealed pack auctions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
I just bought it to see what this is all about. I have to see if there are any type of visual clues.

Good deal, I would scrutenize the heck out of it before you open it!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
and take quality pictures for documentation. you need to go all-out CSI on this pack

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »

I remember reading a while back that flashback cases could be picked through for golds. It seems ans 7 is no different. Is there a "tell" on the pack itself, or could it just be in the placement of the pack in the box & case?

Knowing this has made me not want to buy boxes off ebay for flashback or ans7.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
I remember reading a while back that flashback cases could be picked through for golds. It seems ans 7 is no different. Is there a "tell" on the pack itself, or could it just be in the placement of the pack in the box & case?

Knowing this has made me not want to buy boxes off ebay for flashback or ans7.
I don't recall if there was really any tell with the flashbacks, but I think there was the reverse assumption going on - if a box was opened from a case and found to have a gold, then most likely no other box remaining in that case would have a gold
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:33:40 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »

From playing around with some packs... usually, the hot card is is the next to the last in the pack. There is enough room in the pack
to slide the last card up or down a little to reveal the edge of the next to the last card. In sufficient lighting, it is possible to see if
this next to last card has red around the edge such as the foils and sketch cards have. I can see where this would allow you to narrow it down to a foil (whether auto, missed auto, or regular) or a sketch. But I don't see how it would eliminate the possibility of a regular foil. Good luck with you detective work, our fates rest in the balance. Well, maybe nothing quite that dramatic but, "Inquiring minds want to know".
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
From playing around with some packs... usually, the hot card is is the next to the last in the pack. There is enough room in the pack
to slide the last card up or down a little to reveal the edge of the next to the last card. In sufficient lighting, it is possible to see if
this next to last card has red around the edge such as the foils and sketch cards have. I can see where this would allow you to narrow it down to a foil (whether auto, missed auto, or regular) or a sketch. But I don't see how it would eliminate the possibility of a regular foil. Good luck with you detective work, our fates rest in the balance. Well, maybe nothing quite that dramatic but, "Inquiring minds want to know".

So are you saying that you can see the red border through the wrapper?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
I will take several pictures and weigh the pack before opening. I will also see if I can slide any of the cards to see if you can tell. I think I will start a new thread to discuss this further. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I will get the pack around the end of the week.

Offline sco(o)t

Re: RE: ANS7 sealed pack auctions
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
So are you saying that you can see the red border through the wrapper?

Well kinda...let me explain. All the card/sticker backs are white at the very edges except the foils, sketches and bonus cards. We can rule out bonus cards since they are in the celophane packs in the cereal boxes. Even the red puzzle pieces cards are white at the very edge. For the non-foil packs, in good sun light, I can tell whether the card edge is light or dark when looking in the white portion of the wrapper. Since all dark edge cards will be red edge cards, in a way you can tell they are red. I cannot do this accurately with the foil interior packs. The real trick is to move all the cards in the pack to either the top or bottom and to push the backmost card, only, to the other side to reveal the edge of the next to the bottom card. There is quite a bit of room in a sealed pack to move the cards up and down. But, as noted earlier, I don;t know how this rules out regular foil cards.

With that said, I did not open either a sketch or autograph card so ! don't know for sure if these show up as the next to the bottom card in the pack. Those of you who have found them, do you remember where the chase cards where in respect to the pack? I think I read Melty Way uncovered at least one in his efforts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:49:52 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »
I bought two cases of ANS7 and one case had both a gold and sketch (both cards came in the same box that was at or near the bottom of the case).

Melty, do you remember where the sketch card was in respect to the other cards in the pack? For example, bottom card, top card, etc?

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
Melty, do you remember where the sketch card was in respect to the other cards in the pack? For example, bottom card, top card, etc?

I'm not sure...seems like it was near the top. I was so shocked to pull one plus it was approx 2am...I wasn't thinking clearly.  :]

Offline BustedFinger

Re: ANS7 sealed pack auctions
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
It seems like all the chase cards since about ANS3 have been 2nd from the back of the pack.  It seems like Topps did this in response to all the people who were searching for magnet packs in ANS2 by feeling the diecut through the back of the pack.  They moved the chase card to 2nd from the back to keep people from searching the packs.

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't recall if there was really any tell with the flashbacks, but I think there was the reverse assumption going on - if a box was opened from a case and found to have a gold, then most likely no other box remaining in that case would have a gold

I seem to remember that there was a thread about this on the other forum (I'm not sure which one) that mentioned a "hot box" (containing a gold) could be pulled from a flashback case. I thought it had to do with placement in the case. That meant the other boxes in the case were "dead" as far as golds were concerned. I don't know if it was possible to get it to a pack level. Maybe some who remember this issue or have experience with it can help out.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
I seem to remember that there was a thread about this on the other forum (I'm not sure which one) that mentioned a "hot box" (containing a gold) could be pulled from a flashback case. I thought it had to do with placement in the case. That meant the other boxes in the case were "dead" as far as golds were concerned. I don't know if it was possible to get it to a pack level. Maybe some who remember this issue or have experience with it can help out.

I remember that discussion, too, and I believe you're right, it was a "hot box", not a specific pack.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »
I will take several pictures and weigh the pack before opening. I will also see if I can slide any of the cards to see if you can tell. I think I will start a new thread to discuss this further. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I will get the pack around the end of the week.
I don't think you will find anything.  Aren't the sellers of the "hot packs" sport card dealers?  There is no such thing as random, keep that in mind. I am sure these guys have figured out how Topps collates cards, packs, boxes and cases from their years of chasing stuff in sport card sets and have applied the logic to Wackys.  I am fairly confident that you won't find any special about the pack itself.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:14:58 AM »
I don't think you will find anything.  Aren't the sellers of the "hot packs" sport card dealers?  There is no such thing as random, keep that in mind. I am sure these guys have figured out how Topps collates cards, packs, boxes and cases from their years of chasing stuff in sport card sets and have applied the logic to Wackys.  I am fairly confident that you won't find any special about the pack itself.

I thought about that but do you think the collation and packaging is so predictable that someone can accurately tell a card that has 1:700 odds?  Based on his response to me he seems convinced he is selling what he claims, so I really think he has a way of seeing what's inside.  He may use the collation to get a rough idea of what packs to inspect, but I can't believe it's the only measure he uses.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
  Well kinda...let me explain. All the card/sticker backs are white at the very edges except the foils, sketches and bonus cards. We can rule out bonus cards since they are in the celophane packs in the cereal boxes. Even the red puzzle pieces cards are white at the very edge. For the non-foil packs, in good sun light, I can tell whether the card edge is light or dark when looking in the white portion of the wrapper. Since all dark edge cards will be red edge cards, in a way you can tell they are red. I cannot do this accurately with the foil interior packs. The real trick is to move all the cards in the pack to either the top or bottom and to push the backmost card, only, to the other side to reveal the edge of the next to the bottom card. There is quite a bit of room in a sealed pack to move the cards up and down. But, as noted earlier, I don;t know how this rules out regular foil cards.

With that said, I did not open either a sketch or autograph card so ! don't know for sure if these show up as the next to the bottom card in the pack. Those of you who have found them, do you remember where the chase cards where in respect to the pack? I think I read Melty Way uncovered at least one in his efforts.

Didn't this guy also sell packs guaranteed to have a flash foil? How would they tell on the backs of those?

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
Didn't this guy also sell packs guaranteed to have a flash foil? How would they tell on the backs of those?

I think we decided that the Flash Foils (at least the Silvers) will always be exactly 12 packs apart in a box.  I think Patrick confirmed this with a gravity feed he opened and Leslie confirmed that she bought two "hot packs" from this seller and they both did contains Silver flash foils.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »
I got a response on how the seller is determining if it's a hot pack.

Dear allproductssoldhere,

Hello, I bought one of your hot packs. How will I be able to tell when I receive the pack without opening it? There has to be some identifiable marking or you can see through the pack since your guaranteeing it. I may not open the pack but I want to be certain it really does contain an Auto or sketch in case I want to resell it in the future.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Brad

- wacky-base

Dear wacky-base,

Hi Brad, you can see through the back of the pack and see the back of the card. If you look closely you can tell if it is a auto card or sketch. thanks

- allproductssoldhere

I bought some packs yesterday from a feed and I couldn't see through the backs. There is always a WOM card in the way and it's kinda tricky to move it. I can't imaging doing this for every pack you open. I'm sure you would get rather skilled at this but it would be painful. I will see when the pack arrives.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 10:56:14 AM »
I got a response on how the seller is determining if it's a hot pack.

Dear allproductssoldhere,

Hello, I bought one of your hot packs. How will I be able to tell when I receive the pack without opening it? There has to be some identifiable marking or you can see through the pack since your guaranteeing it. I may not open the pack but I want to be certain it really does contain an Auto or sketch in case I want to resell it in the future.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Brad

- wacky-base

Dear wacky-base,

Hi Brad, you can see through the back of the pack and see the back of the card. If you look closely you can tell if it is a auto card or sketch. thanks

- allproductssoldhere

I bought some packs yesterday from a feed and I couldn't see through the backs. There is always a WOM card in the way and it's kinda tricky to move it. I can't imaging doing this for every pack you open. I'm sure you would get rather skilled at this but it would be painful. I will see when the pack arrives.

Either these cards are at the bottom (or top) of the pack, or they are able to spread the cards apart even more than I was
able to in a pack to see more information. Although, not having an auto or sketch card makes me a poor tester since I don't know how far from the edge you need to be able to see to make a positive ID.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »

- allproductssoldhere

But if the follow the sequence based on the odds you wouldn't have to check every pack.  You could take the 20 packs or so closest to where the odds say the pack should be.  You would have to have a ton of stock to get a bunch of them though. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
But if the follow the sequence based on the odds you wouldn't have to check every pack.  You could take the 20 packs or so closest to where the odds say the pack should be.  You would have to have a ton of stock to get a bunch of them though. 

With 1 in 700 odds how would you know what box to even start looking at? There isn't even that many packs in a case.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
I think we decided that the Flash Foils (at least the Silvers) will always be exactly 12 packs apart in a box.  I think Patrick confirmed this with a gravity feed he opened and Leslie confirmed that she bought two "hot packs" from this seller and they both did contains Silver flash foils.

This doesn't make sense either because there are only 12 packs per side in a box. So are you saying both silvers are always going to be next to each other if you open one pack from each side and work your way down?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
I think that "wacky-base" is actually an eBay account for someone in the forum, like Ernie, who is getting a tremendous laugh  :57:  out of watching us bang our heads against a wall trying to figure it out. Then he pops back in occasionally, when the speculation dies down, to fan the flames again. (Only kidding Ernie).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »
I think that "wacky-base" is actually an eBay account for someone in the forum, like Ernie, who is getting a tremendous laugh  :57:  out of watching us bang our heads against a wall trying to figure it out. Then he pops back in occasionally, when the speculation dies down, to fan the flames again. (Only kidding Ernie).

I'm Wacky-Base. The seller is the other guy...LOL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
With 1 in 700 odds how would you know what box to even start looking at? There isn't even that many packs in a case.

That's why I said you would have to have a lot of stock to do it!  You open packs until you get an auto foil, then you would have to count 700 packs and use the system to check the surrounding packs.  if his claim is legit he would have to go through that many packs anyway, right?  The odds are the same for him whether or not he has a system that works. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »
That's why I said you would have to have a lot of stock to do it!  You open packs until you get an auto foil, then you would have to count 700 packs and use the system to check the surrounding packs.  if his claim is legit he would have to go through that many packs anyway, right?  The odds are the same for him whether or not he has a system that works. 

How would you know what case follows the case you just opened? If you bought 6 cases they would all be random so there is no way of knowing how they fall in line from production. Basically you would have one case with a gold and auto and one case with nothing. How would you know what cases had nothing? This would be going off a case based on 16 boxes. There are only 384 packs in a case.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »
How would you know what case follows the case you just opened? If you bought 6 cases they would all be random so there is no way of knowing how they fall in line from production. Basically you would have one case with a gold and auto and one case with nothing. How would you know what cases had nothing? This would be going off a case based on 16 boxes. There are only 384 packs in a case.

Good point.  I never paid attention to the cases but they don't put ID #'s on them?  If they had to do them one-by-one can you imagine how long that would take?  It would take a lot longer than having to open the pack.  I can't imagine he does them one at a time.  The other thing I don't get is if he can legitimately do what he claims wouldn't he be better off opening them for a potential sketch? 

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
I'm Wacky-Base. The seller is the other guy...LOL

Ooops, sorry  :^)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Good point.  I never paid attention to the cases but they don't put ID #'s on them?  If they had to do them one-by-one can you imagine how long that would take?  It would take a lot longer than having to open the pack.  I can't imagine he does them one at a time.  The other thing I don't get is if he can legitimately do what he claims wouldn't he be better off opening them for a potential sketch? 
My money still says that he knows pack collation and all he has to do is open one pack in a case and he will know exactly where in the "flow" that case falls and then then target packs from there.  I don't buy that he is taking the time to look through the back of hundreds of packs merely to make $80.....but I bet he is having fun giving clues on how to do this....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
This doesn't make sense either because there are only 12 packs per side in a box. So are you saying both silvers are always going to be next to each other if you open one pack from each side and work your way down?

I think Patrick was basing his findings on a Gravity feed.  As soon as he found one flash-foil pack, the next one was exactly 12 packs down in the stack.

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
I think Patrick was basing his findings on a Gravity feed.  As soon as he found one flash-foil pack, the next one was exactly 12 packs down in the stack.
right. it was a gravity feed at a target that had a specific sequence of pack types that repeated after 12.
the hobby boxes I picked up seem fairly randomized though.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
I think Patrick was basing his findings on a Gravity feed.  As soon as he found one flash-foil pack, the next one was exactly 12 packs down in the stack.

I don't know how you could figure that either because each gravity feed I have bought were all over the place. They are not in any order and are usually a mess. The packs move around in the boxes because they aren't tight like a regular box. Packs can easily move on shipment with feeds.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
My money still says that he knows pack collation and all he has to do is open one pack in a case and he will know exactly where in the "flow" that case falls and then then target packs from there.  I don't buy that he is taking the time to look through the back of hundreds of packs merely to make $80.....but I bet he is having fun giving clues on how to do this....
I don't buy that either because there isn't a guarantee you are going to get a gold, auto, or sketch in any case. There are only 384 packs to a 16/24 case. You could possibly open 4 cases in a row and not get anything. How would you know if the cases you ordered were all in order as they were packed? You still have no idea which would be the case without the specials. With one in 700 odds there is no way of knowing you will get anything in any case. With the FB's you at least knew you would get one or 2 golds per case because of the odds. I would think this person would have to go through every pack to find the specials. Once found they would probably move to another case. This would take an incredible amount of time. I don't know of any other way. I will let you all know once I get my pack.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
My pack should be in the mail later this afternoon and I will let everyone know what I can see through the pack. I have a hunch it's an autograph because why would they not open it if it was obviously a sketch?
Here is a seller that has a hot pack for sale. This is more than likely an auto because the same seller also has a sketch for sale so if it were a sketch why not open it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Topps-Wacky-Packages-ANS7-Sketch-Auto-Error-Hot-Pack-/320597458631

anything