Author Topic: 1973 Wacky Packages on checkout counter (from January 1974 trade magazine)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Thought the forum would enjoy this. 

Taken from a January 1974 candy trade magazine cover. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bigtomi

Re: 1973 Wacky Packages on checkout counter (from January 1974 trade magazine)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
Taken from a January 1974 candy trade magazine cover. 
Thanks, Jason! Neat pic!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 12:15:16 PM »
Yeah, a fun little moment in time. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »
Candy and cigarettes all together - definitely another era!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »
little did they know they were walking by a $50k box to get their cigarettes.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 02:38:10 PM »
Yeah if anyone would have had the foresight…and the $4-$5 you could have bought a box, left it unopened, and 46 years later… Cha-ching!!!!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »
Yeah if anyone would have had the foresight…and the $4-$5 you could have bought a box, left it unopened, and 46 years later… Cha-ching!!!!

Unfortunately, I was heading in the right direction in the 70's, but fell short of the mark! I bought full boxes from all of the local mom & pop and convenience stores in my childhood stomping grounds, but I opened almost every pack from those boxes. Where I DID luck out, was that I opened each pack as carefully as possible, as not to rip the wrapper. Then, after opening the packs, I would then store the flattened stack of un-ripped wrappers back in their respective boxes. I was constantly ridiculed by my friends for saving the "stuff that was supposed to be thrown in the trash", but I shrugged it off. To this day, I still have all of those boxes, with the wrappers still in them. I try not to dwell on the "what if" scenario, regarding not opening boxes for future investment purposes because I think I'd go crazy! LOL!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 05:26:40 PM »
Is it just me or does the box look kind of strange? I can’t see any packs within it, it just kind of looks like there is something red laying over where the packs should be.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 06:29:24 PM »
Is it just me or does the box look kind of strange? I can’t see any packs within it, it just kind of looks like there is something red laying over where the packs should be.
Yes. With the backing panel blocked to the bottom of the ‘P’, it could just be a carton or box of one of those other items that’s about two inches thick that’s resting on the open area.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 12:30:16 PM »
little did they know they were walking by a $50k box to get their cigarettes.

Zoinks!!   :]

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 12:35:24 PM »

Possible they loaded up two-boxes worth of packs, stacking the packs up vertically? 

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 04:50:45 PM »
15c for a box of Vicks cough drops...used to eat those like candy in school.   Ah, the days when a quarter was a lot of dough to a 10-yr-old.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 04:40:00 AM »
15c for a box of Vicks cough drops...used to eat those like candy in school.   Ah, the days when a quarter was a lot of dough to a 10-yr-old.

Strangely, there was a time in the mid-70s I was collecting different boxes of cough drops. Maybe I liked all the colors and varieties. My dad told me it was weird so I stopped. Our family didn't cough for a long long time though!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 05:29:04 AM »
Strangely, there was a time in the mid-70s I was collecting different boxes of cough drops. Maybe I liked all the colors and varieties. My dad told me it was weird so I stopped. Our family didn't cough for a long long time though!

My dad told me Wackys were stupid.  I am so glad my mom disagreed and let me keep buying them!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 05:50:51 AM »
My dad told me Wackys were stupid.  I am so glad my mom disagreed and let me keep buying them!

My dad was the same!   He said they were a "waste of money!!!".   I had to hide them after that. 

I got the last laugh after I showed him some years ago what they were selling for now.   
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 09:23:21 AM »
Why are Dads always the haters? My Dad and Grandpa said Wackys and comic books were a waste of money…i pointed out if i earned a quarter, they couldn’t tell me how i could spend MY quarter… In 1974, it was always a tough choice between ONE comic, or Five packages of Wackys…

Offline mikecho

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 12:27:31 PM »
I see the guy in the blue shirt is holding a box of something called Snaps.

I don't remember seeing them in any of the candy displays in PA before. Jason, do you know anything about this brand?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 03:25:01 PM »
LOL! Pretty sure that's a woman...or a guy with a frilly shirt and good-sized boobs.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
LOL! Pretty sure that's a woman...or a guy with a frilly shirt and good-sized boobs.

That's Benny Hill.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 06:45:53 PM »
I just checked and so she is. Looks like the joke's on me.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »

I don't remember seeing them in any of the candy displays in PA before. Jason, do you know anything about this brand?

70’s Flashback with Licorice Snaps!
http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=10753