Author Topic: What's up with this?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: What's up with this?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Anyone know anything about grey border ANS7 cards?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-7-ANS7-ERROR-CARD-Grey-Border-Card-2-/120625763255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c15db13b7

They obviously ran low on ink. I wonder if a whole sheet made it through this way?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:01:39 AM »
They obviously ran low on ink. I wonder if a whole sheet made it through this way?
I don't know that I would call it an error as much as a printing oddity.  Some will find these to be very cool, others ho hum, to each his own.  It is what makes collecting so enjoyable.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »

But the black on the image looks fine. I wonder if that means it was a color border or if the black border is printed differently than the black on the image.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »
But the black on the image looks fine. I wonder if that means it was a color border or if the black border is printed differently than the black on the image.

That is what made me wonder about it, because the rest of the black printing is fine.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »
That is what made me wonder about it, because the rest of the black printing is fine.

Didn't we learn from the Flashback printing plates that the black borders had their own individual printing plate, separate from the other parts of the image?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »
Didn't we learn from the Flashback printing plates that the black borders had their own individual printing plate, separate from the other parts of the image?
how soon we forget....
what I think is cool about the silver flash cards in ANS7 is that they don't have a printed border - it's just blank space.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »

That's exactly what this is.  There's a 5th unit printing just the black border and it's very weak.  If there was only one black plate for the artwork as well you would see that the artwork is weak with black as well, and it looks pretty close.  The reason the other side doesn't show any difference is because the other side of the sheet is running on separate press units, so what happens on the top of the web doesn't affect what happens on the bottom, and visa versa.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
I just bought another feed and got 2 play-doze with gray borders. So far it seems to only be that card.

Offline Beanball

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I don't know that I would call it an error as much as a printing oddity.  Some will find these to be very cool, others ho hum, to each his own.  It is what makes collecting so enjoyable.
Printing oddity sounds good to me. They do that kind of stuff because we asked for it. The grey border looks kinda cool. Looks better than the loco red in my opinion.
Would like to get one someday.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
Printing oddity sounds good to me. They do that kind of stuff because we asked for it. The grey border looks kinda cool.

Would like to get one someday.

I heard Brad may have an extra one!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
I heard Brad may have an extra one!

I have 2 extra's. They aren't exactly silver they look more like a faded black border. It's only on the play-doze from what I can tell. The guy that posted the auction probably was the same but the picture looks like it's silver