Author Topic: World Of Wackies...  (Read 39490 times)

Offline wackyman

• ^ GOD is spelled wrong, should say DEVIL ^
    • World Of Wackies
World Of Wackies...
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen..... Boys And Girls....Children of all ages,  I'm please to announce the grand opening of THE WORLD OF WACKIES.

The site is aimed to be your #1 spot for everything Wacky Packages related and will be featuring ALL the various WP Series scans, info interviews and more!

I've been working on the site for the last 3 months or so in my free time and there is still quite a bit that needs to be added BUT I am content enough to open the doors and let in my fellow Wacky Community.

Originally W.O.W. had a forum like this one but since Brad stepped up and announced this forum before I announced mine, I have closed down my forum and integrated this forum into W.O.W (just click on 'The Fourm' link and you'll be right here on the forum :) )

Coming shortly as I can complete the tasks there will audio interviews, new articles, contests and much more!  I will be tying the site into this forum until Brad gets sick and tired of me lol  my plan and hope is that we can merge the two sites into one massive entity and provide the entire Wacky Packages community the best possible site!

Now, as new things can be confusing and even scary I'd like to break down the World Of Wackies for you and show you what the site offers you right now.....

When you first visit the site you will see a place where you can  Login in OR Register for a free account (your current login here will NOT work on the W.O.W site unless you register with that same  info, BUT if you click on The Forum link you may not have to login to the forum depending on how you have your internet settings configured (I myself stay logged in via my browser)

If you would like, feel free to create your free account,  that will allow you access to a few cool features on the site!

Once signed up and logged in you'll notice the main navigation system on the left of all pages, I'll break down a few of the features now:

This is the link back to the main homepage where you will see the most current news items and important threads going on here in The Forum.

This link will open this forum inside of the W.O.W website.

This is the News Section (the same content that appears on the home page of W.O.W.)

This is where you will find scans of ALL of the Wacky Packages Series, Each series is represented by it's box (if I have scans for them lol), click on a box to go to that series's photo gallery.

This section is where you will find ALL the info on the various Wacky Series, Artists, and more.... This section is a work in progress and will be changing as I fill it with more content.

Here you will find various Surveys created by YOU the community, I will be setting it up where you can create and add your own survey, but until then let me know what types of surveys you want to see there!

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT! This is the SUBMIT NEWS section where YOU, that's right YOU get to submit your own wacky related news stories (Registered members only) simply click on that link, write up your news item and hit submit,  once your news item is approved (just to make sure it's appropriate and not 'spam') it will be displayed proudly on the main page and news sections of the W.O.W site!

Other Sites:  Do YOU have a wacky related website OR a non wacky related website,blog, facebook, myspace, Youtube site you'd like to share?  this is where you can add a link to your site (Registered Members only) I will be adding a number of categories to this section later on today,  and will move any links to where they need to go when I get that done.

This is where YOU can help spread the word about W.O.W and The Forum! If you have your own website, blog or social network site you can pick on of the many styles and sized banners or buttons and add a link to us on your site,  simply pick the banner or button that will best fit your site and copy the code provided into your site.

That's about it,   hope you all enjoy the site.

-Jay-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:53:47 PM by wackyman »

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
Re: World Of Wackies...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
This is awesome!!!!!  Excellent job Jay!!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
Jay, I'm getting the following when I click on the photo and try to enter:  Unknown User-Agent - You are banned from this site due to a unknown user-agent.

Any clue what that means?
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
Fantastic! This looks like the perfect site for all Wacky fans.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »
Jay, I'm getting the following when I click on the photo and try to enter:  Unknown User-Agent - You are banned from this site due to a unknown user-agent.

Martin, that's the new zero strike system being implemented.  (just kidding, of course)
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
Kris, LOL.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with my computer being on Windows 7.  I'll try it from my laptop later tonight (when my son boots me off the family desktop so he can play Runescape).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »

Try accessing the site directly:  http://www.worldofwackies.com/index.php  and let me know what happens then.

I honestly have no idea why you would get that type of error...   user agent would have to do with your browser, but again no clue why that would be happening.

-Jay-

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
It's getting better every day! ;D
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
Same error.  I am on Internet Explorer running on Windows 7.  Maybe something in Windows 7 is blocking it?  Or perhaps I have a pop-up blocker on my IE?  I'll try another computer later.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
Try accessing the site directly:  http://www.worldofwackies.com/index.php  and let me know what happens then.

I honestly have no idea why you would get that type of error...   user agent would have to do with your browser, but again no clue why that would be happening.

-Jay-
I'm having the same problem and the direct link didn't help. I'm using Safari, if that makes a difference.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
I'm having the same problem and the direct link didn't help. I'm using Safari, if that makes a difference.

That's strange. It works great for me with Safari on my Mac. Gurgle, you must be a Mac guy also.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »
That's strange. It works great for me with Safari on my Mac. Gurgle, you must be a Mac guy also.

both links work in Firefox. The top link works in Safari but the direct link give the user agent error.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »
Very cool Jay!  I said it on Brad's "Thank You" thread and I'll say it again here.  This is something that should have happened a long time ago.  I think it is very healthy for the hobby that their be more than just one site to go to.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be happy to provide scans for any of the images that you need.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
both links work in Firefox. The top link works in Safari but the direct link give the user agent error.
Then it's something other than the browser. I still can't get in.

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Thanks Everyone....

I THINK... I got the user agent issue solved, anyone who had that problem PLEASE refresh your pages and try again

As for scans...  here is a list of what I need

1979 Topps test series (everything)

1986 Topps Stickers (cards, pack, box)

The plush toys (both series)

The Shirts (from 10again)

any scans of posters, dealer sheets etc

scans of book covers, media spotings (newspapers, magazines, in stores, movies etc)

(Slamjim is going to get me artwork, and some other stuff, once I get his stuff I'll update my list accordingly)

I have ALL of the ANS base cards, packs and boxes I just need to assemble and upload them and add them to their respective galleries, BUT I need the following for ANS:

ANS  1 - 6 All chase cards (sorted by series) magnets, motion, peels, tattoos, build your owns, promo cards etc etc

Same thing for Flashback I and Flashback II (chase cards)

-Jay-

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
Very cool. It works now. You may want to view it in Safari as the page seems way wide.

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
Very cool. It works now. You may want to view it in Safari as the page seems way wide.

I don't Have Safari on any of my computers actually,  but I'll have my nephew bring his Macbook over so I can check it out, and see if there is any kind of tweaks  I can do to make it smoother in Safari.

-Jay-

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Jay I have an extra 1986 set around here {studio} some where if you want it
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Jay I have an extra 1986 set around here {studio} some where if you want it

I have in my mancave 4 sets of the 86,  I just have not gotten around scanning them lol  sooo If you have scans I will DEFF take them and put them up :)

-Jay-

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 03:41:10 PM »
Wackyman Jay - it is working for me now too!  Very nice.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

I'm really looking forward to the new W.O.W. image gallery because it will be nice to finally have a centralized location for the Post Cards and Old Schools.   I would even go so far as to suggest re-opening W.O.W. asap with just those galleries to start and fill in the old stuff as time allows. It doesn't make since to have a Wacky Gallery and leave stuff out that is wildly popular with collectors. I hope there will be a home for all of these post card and old school sketch cards too. It will also be an opportunity to display larger sizes than what is available on other forums.  Seeing these cards in large format is a great way to better appreciate the artwork.

I'm actually going to put the site back up in the next hour or so (I'm  out in the garage having a cig right now) I'm going to pull EVERYTHING except for the Old School Related stuff EVEN THOUGH The  ANS Stuff was NOT from Greg's site,  I'm going to fire up the scanners  and pull out MY Boxes, packs, etc and scan it all myself and I will add it back to the W.O.W. site in the next week as I have to get back to my day job 2morrow so my time will be a bit limited this coming week.

-Jay-

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 04:31:08 AM »
I see that greg has registered www.worldofwackys.com and has it pointing to his site now.  I didn't even realize that Jay had spelled it Wackies in his domain name.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »
I see that greg has registered www.worldofwackys.com and has it pointing to his site now.  I didn't even realize that Jay had spelled it Wackies in his domain name.

I think Jay should change the URL completely to something like 'Wackypackgallery.com' or 'wackypackagesarchive.com'. Something along those lines.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »
I think Jay should change the URL completely to something like 'Wackypackgallery.com' or 'wackypackagesarchive.com'. Something along those lines.
Better check with Paul before using gallery in the name!   :P

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »

I saw that too.  I am not surprised by that action at all, given the debate over the spelling of the plural over on the other forum.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
I thought greg was all about embracing competition and rival websites.  Why would he have a need to grab the URL sister's of rival websites?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
I thought greg was all about embracing competition and rival websites.  Why would he have a need to grab the URL sister's of rival websites?

I can only guess it was some sort of 'revenge fantasy'

I do find it funny as all hell though, but I guess IF he really feels that I'm such an evil bad horrible guy, who was trying to single handedly destroy both his business and the entire hobby then spending $10.00 on a domain name (that IF I wanted in the first place I would have already bought it) Then more  power to him.

I picked the name as is for good reasons,  it had nothing really to do with whether or not fans of the hobby USE that spelling or not,  but it was MORE of making sure my domain name did NOT infringe on Topps's trademarks, copyrights and or brands.

The G Man has not detoured me in the slightest, it WILL take me a few months to intagrate the new stuff I want to have going over at W.O.W. (Not scans I'm talking features) cause I'm pretty busy with my 'day job' and have to play catch up and then I have to raise a bit of extra cash to have my coders make some scripts and toys for the W.O.W. site ;)

There's also allot more to W.O.W. going on behind the scenes I'll share some of those things as they get farther along.

-Jay-

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »

Maybe because the sister tried to capitalize on Greg's blood and sweat.

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 07:31:17 PM »

lol I'm no sister,   in fact I'm not even anyone's brother lmao

and for me to 'capitalize' on anything I'd need to have some sort of ads running, or be selling something.

He bought it solely to 'teach me a lesson' but the teacher failed to realize that IF I wanted that domain I would have snagged it too, I bought about 10 wacky related domains the day I grabbed the W.O.W. domain, only one is in use at the moment.

I damn near snagged up worldofdipshits.com cause he kept calling W.O.W. that for like 3 days straight,  I was gonna buy it and redirect the traffic to his site,  BUT even at $10.00 per year it was not worth it lol

-Jay-

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 07:55:23 PM »
and for me to 'capitalize' on anything I'd need to have some sort of ads running, or be selling something.
What do you mean? W.O.W. is crawling with ads.

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
What do you mean? W.O.W. is crawling with ads.

What I mean by 'ads' are:

(1) Something being displayed that I'm being paid to display

(2) something that IF you click, and buy I get a % of that sale (Affiliate Ads)

I guess you could say that W.O.W. is crawling with 'ads' IF

(1) you are talking about the front page news  about Old School, Binders, etc but I make no money from any of that stuff,

(2) The actual content of the cards themselves that are parodies of actual products ;)

Oh and that Amazon block on the right side of the page,  I guess I do kind of make money from that,  but It such a small amount that IF I actually get a payout from them I have it setup to go into Amazon gift cards and I'll just use that for a prize to give away.

-Jay-

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
What I mean by 'ads' are:

(1) Something being displayed that I'm being paid to display

(2) something that IF you click, and buy I get a % of that sale (Affiliate Ads)

I guess you could say that W.O.W. is crawling with 'ads' IF

(1) you are talking about the front page news  about Old School, Binders, etc but I make no money from any of that stuff,

(2) The actual content of the cards themselves that are parodies of actual products ;)

Oh and that Amazon block on the right side of the page,  I guess I do kind of make money from that,  but It such a small amount that IF I actually get a payout from them I have it setup to go into Amazon gift cards and I'll just use that for a prize to give away.

-Jay-
Yes; by "ads," I was referring to the "ads."

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »
Last I checked, WOW was rid of greg's content after his first day of whining about it.  greg bought the sister URLs AFTER WOW was rid of his content as it seems as usual, greg is battling a war that only exists in his mind.....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
Last I checked, WOW was rid of greg's content after his first day of whining about it.  greg bought the sister URLs AFTER WOW was rid of his content as it seems as usual, greg is battling a war that only exists in his mind.....
Can't resist sticking my hands in this tar baby:

Greg slams Brad and Jay for "competing" with him, as though competition were bad, and beneath Greg. If that were true, he wouldn't have purchased that domain name. It does Greg no good except that it might do Jay some harm, however small.

("Queeg"!)

anything