Author Topic: New Wacky Packages Retail Set Nov,2022  (Read 5750 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
New Wacky Packages Retail Set Nov,2022
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
Hey all,

Well the cat is out of the bag as the Topps schedule was released to the dealers today. There is a NEW Wacky Packages retail set set for release this coming November! No details announced for it (well to the public anyway...we all know what it is). So get pumped. Wack Packages will have a big presence this coming year.

Offline BattleCaps

Re: New Wacky Packages Retail Set Nov,2022
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!

I hope it's something like an old school release. I'd definitely consider opening some packs if it was.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 03:31:59 PM »
By this coming November I mean next year November of course!

Retail Wal-Mart/ Target type release with box and packs and all that good stuff.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »
Great news, Dave!  It'll be a long wait, but I hope Topps will make it worth the wait.  Nothing like an old school experience (even if mom and pops have long since been replaced by Targets and Walmarts).

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
Wackys in the Wild Again!!!!   Great news for 2022!!!!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 08:22:29 PM »
I wonder if they have considered selling at drug stores or 7 Elevens again……Those still exist…

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
I'll start saving in my piggy bank NOW!   ;)
I hope the distribution of the cards is like Topps's previous releases to Target and Walmart in that ALL the base set cards and ALL the subsets are available at both places (with maybe the exception of a few bonus cards in the bonus boxes so they are at least obtainable).  I hope they don't pull an SI Minis on us and only release SOME of the cards to each store in "waves."  That would probably tick me off to the point of buying them from secondary dealers (ie, eBay).

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 02:48:24 AM »
Expected release November, 2022 aka Q1, 2023

Offline Swiski

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »
Excellent! Hopefully Topps card distribution will improve at retail chains by then. The sports cards and Pokemon card scalpers who line up at Target will take ANY trading card box or pack these days to flip. I haven't seen any Star Wars cards at Targets or Walmarts this year, so I had to resort to eBay a few times. I really hope things change this time next year!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 10:58:33 AM »
as we say in my neck of the woods..."Cool Beans!"

Looking forward to it, definitely!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
Hey all,

Well the cat is out of the bag as the Topps schedule was released to the dealers today. There is a NEW Wacky Packages retail set set for release this coming November! No details announced for it (well to the public anyway...we all know what it is). So get pumped. Wack Packages will have a big presence this coming year.

What could it be? Wacky Packages Decades featuring all new art Wacky Packages takes on products from the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, 2010's, and even the 2020-2021 going into 2022 COVID pandemic?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »
By this coming November I mean next year November of course!

Retail Wal-Mart/ Target type release with box and packs and all that good stuff.

Of course, I don't know if you can say anything about this question, Dave, but is it usual for Topps to have such a far-out release date?  It seems to me in previous ANS series, for example, that we often found out roughly 3 months ahead of time, never even close to a year out.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 06:10:11 AM »
Of course, I don't know if you can say anything about this question, Dave, but is it usual for Topps to have such a far-out release date?  It seems to me in previous ANS series, for example, that we often found out roughly 3 months ahead of time, never even close to a year out.
This is incredibly early to hear an announcement from what I recall for any non-sport release. Like you say, usually the Sell sheets and other info (like Previews magazine) doesn’t show up until 3-6 months prior to drop.

Offline Corndog

• Corndog....the NEW Blunder
  • There's no need to fear, because Corndog is here.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 04:29:35 AM »
Other than wish lists or whole lot of guessing by us.....is there any concrete facts about this new release? Is it going to be another traditional series, a one time special set, another reissue of the best of the ages, or something else?

I am very excited, but so curious now. I just don't want to have to break the bank trying to buy up half the store or by box after box to get my hands on a special insert card/set. KISS!!! Just Keep It Simple Silly!!!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 06:20:22 AM »
I can scarcely believe it takes a full year to turn out a set. Back in the 70s, they churned out a set every 3 months. It will be worth it for a good set. Can anyone remember what was the last set sold through retail stores?? 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »
I can scarcely believe it takes a full year to turn out a set. Back in the 70s, they churned out a set every 3 months. It will be worth it for a good set. Can anyone remember what was the last set sold through retail stores??

By the time of 6th-11th series it was more like a set every 1-2 months.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »
Hey all,

That is great news! Glad to hear 2022 will be a big year for Wacky Packages!

Offline Hungry Jerk Kid

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »
Hey Dave…Is there any chance of the next Old School release (or the one after that) can include a scratch and sniff card in the box that brings back that classic Topps bubble gum smell? Or maybe an actual new piece of gum wrapped  well enough so that it doesn’t damage the stickers, of course? As we know, the sense of smell can bring us right back to a particular time and place. I really want to re-create my experience of getting WPs at my local 7-11, opening wrappers and drinking a Slurpee with the smell of Topps bubble gum in the air.  8)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:47 AM »
I've got an idea! Why not get Yankee Candle to make a Topps Bubble Gum scented candle! Assuming that would take too long, it might be more practical to simply buy a pack of Bazooka gum at the same time you buy your Slurpee, and take sniffs as needed to trigger your time warp back to the Seventies!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 09:44:12 PM »
So what is the status of this new set? I've looked in Target and haven't seen anything so far.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 10:16:39 PM »
So what is the status of this new set? I've looked in Target and haven't seen anything so far.

It is supposed to be out in 2022.  Target should have Series 3 minis soon, though.

Offline drono

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 02:10:56 AM »
I've got an idea! Why not get Yankee Candle to make a Topps Bubble Gum scented candle!

The napkins on Continental Airlines smelled just like the bubble gum from Crazy Labels.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »
It is supposed to be out in 2022.  Target should have Series 3 minis soon, though.

Oh, I thought it was this year. I don't remember Slamjim's original announcement on Facebook saying it was 2022, but I see now that it's indicated on this thread. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
"I see you shiver with antici..............pation!"

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2021, 10:56:38 PM »
"I see you shiver with antici..............

"Say it!  Say it!"

".....pation!"

Ah, the Rocky Horror years.  Not costumes.  Just yelling at the screen & throwing stuff in the theater without being tossed out.  Perfect teen-age outlet.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »
I wonder if they have considered selling at drug stores or 7 Elevens again……Those still exist…

Tons of them in So. Cal.  But if they ever sold Wackys at "Stop-n-Go" again, that would be a blast from the past. 

... but what I want to know is if there's any "STUCKEY'S" left on those cross-country highways anymore.  Seem to remember seeing Wackys at a few on family road trips, along with those disgusting but somehow tasty grilled-cheese sandwiches.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:00:58 PM by ToadallyDude »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 06:24:00 AM »
Tons of them in So. Cal.  But if they ever sold Wackys at "Stop-n-Go" again, that would be a blast from the past. 

... but what I want to know is if there's any "STUCKEY'S" left on those cross-country highways anymore.  Seem to remember seeing Wackys at a few on family road trips, along with those disgusting but somehow tasty grilled-cheese sandwiches.

The Stuckeys sound these parts was about 5 miles from our place. It closed a good 20 years ago and subsequently became a gas station. People still call the road it was on, Stuckey road, even though that’s not the actual name. I guess because it was out in the middle of nowhere with only farms around.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 11:34:27 AM »
Is this set still happening next month? Do you have any further details on it?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:53 AM »
Is this set still happening next month? Do you have any further details on it?

No, delayed a long time ago. Hopefully something happens next year but who knows

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »
No, delayed a long time ago. Hopefully something happens next year but who knows

Bummer!  Still seems odd that a new set would have been announced so long ago (though maybe that's not so odd and I'm just not aware of how these things work).  Any idea why the set was delayed/canceled?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2022, 12:07:16 PM »
Bummer!  Still seems odd that a new set would have been announced so long ago (though maybe that's not so odd and I'm just not aware of how these things work).  Any idea why the set was delayed/canceled?

Someone had leaked the info by mistake which was the only reason we made a post about it otherwise it would have been planned/ scrapped without anyone knowing.

Problems with getting any retail sets out the past year just pushed this completely off the table along with the sale of Topps. They are making decisions on a lot of stuff soon.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »
Someone had leaked the info by mistake which was the only reason we made a post about it otherwise it would have been planned/ scrapped without anyone knowing.

Problems with getting any retail sets out the past year just pushed this completely off the table along with the sale of Topps. They are making decisions on a lot of stuff soon.

Thanks for the info!  Fingers crossed that those decisions will be positive news for us Wacky collectors, especially if it means we can get some cool sets at retail.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2022, 01:46:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply and info. Fingers crossed it happens at some point!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2022, 11:07:35 AM »
It was Wacky Packages Go to the Movies in 2018.

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »
It was Wacky Packages Go to the Movies in 2018.

I think that was a rhetorical question and not meant to be taken literally, but I could be wrong.

anything