Author Topic: Wacky Packages Series 7 Postcards/Wacky Packages Old School Series 2  (Read 20397 times)

Offline dth1971

Now that Wacky Packages All New Series 7 has been released, when do we expect to see...
a) Wacky Packages Postcards series 7 (I guess sometime this Fall 2010)
b) Wacky Packages Old School series 2 (I guess sometime before Christmas 2010)

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
Re: Wacky Packages Series 7 Postcards/Wacky Packages Old School Series 2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »
Now that Wacky Packages All New Series 7 has been released, when do we expect to see...
a) Wacky Packages Postcards series 7 (I guess sometime this Fall 2010)
b) Wacky Packages Old School series 2 (I guess sometime before Christmas 2010)

I hope BOTH!! There seems to be a momentum I haven't seen in years, so many things in 2010!!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »
I hope BOTH!! There seems to be a momentum I haven't seen in years, so many things in 2010!!
No doubt! I got (back) into the hobby about (3) years ago & this is the best year by far since I've been back! Cannot wait for the "Old-School" (2) series! WOO HOO!!! WACKY PACKAGES!!!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:57:52 AM »
Still hoping for a presale link via email for Forum members to buy one limited postcard set #7 or a subscription opportunity to get one of each limited postcard set as they are released. They did a link for the wait list Series 6 postcard people so it is doable. Fingers crossed. Trying to avoid the 5 minute limited postcard sell out blues and the depression that will follow.

DrDeal

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:52:58 AM »
I hope the Series 7 postcard set coincides with Halloween, like last year!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »
I hope the Series 7 postcard set coincides with Halloween, like last year!

Or maybe Christmas!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:18:08 AM »
My two cents: if we didn't get any new stuff until after the 1st of the year, I would certainly be fine with that.  My pocketbook is feeling the pinch right now.   Also I'd rather have a few months between each product release so that we have time to enjoy the latest release sufficiently.  That - and it would allow the production folks time to really put the best work into each set (as opposed to cranking them out as fast as possible to jump on a "hot" buying trend).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »
My two cents: if we didn't get any new stuff until after the 1st of the year, I would certainly be fine with that.  My pocketbook is feeling the pinch right now.   Also I'd rather have a few months between each product release so that we have time to enjoy the latest release sufficiently.  That - and it would allow the production folks time to really put the best work into each set (as opposed to cranking them out as fast as possible to jump on a "hot" buying trend).

I wouldn't have a problem with that either.  I feel like I need a chance to "catch my breath".  If new series keep coming out at this pace I won't be able to keep my run of collecting everything going. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »
I wouldn't have a problem with that either.  I feel like I need a chance to "catch my breath".  If new series keep coming out at this pace I won't be able to keep my run of collecting everything going. 

Amen brother!
I am about to begin the busy time of year where I work. It is nothing for me to put in 65-80 hour work weeks between November 1st thru December 24th. Everything takes a back seat for those 2 months. I probably wouldn't know if the prez got shot during that time, much less any kind of Wacky related release. This year has been a great ride, but it has been a bit much to keep up with. Hit us again in January Topps. I know I will be flush with overtime cash!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
If the sketch cards are done then pull the trigger and do the sale. We will find a way to pay and support the next release. Not a fan of waiting till Jan if they are ready soon.

DrDeal

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »

Amen brother!
I am about to begin the busy time of year where I work. It is nothing for me to put in 65-80 hour work weeks between November 1st thru December 24th. Everything takes a back seat for those 2 months. I probably wouldn't know if the prez got shot during that time, much less any kind of Wacky related release. This year has been a great ride, but it has been a bit much to keep up with. Hit us again in January Topps. I know I will be flush with overtime cash!
I see what you're saying...But I can't wait for "Old School (2)" After that we can take a breather!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
If the sketch cards are done then pull the trigger and do the sale. We will find a way to pay and support the next release. Not a fan of waiting till Jan if they are ready soon.

DrDeal

Do you mean sketch cards for OLDS2 or PC7? I'm not sure if there will be sketch cards with OLDS2. I sure hope there are!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:06 PM »
Do you mean sketch cards for OLDS2 or PC7? I'm not sure if there will be sketch cards with OLDS2. I sure hope there are!

I'm sure they'll do sketch cards for Olds 2.  It helped sell a lot of inventory and everyone had fun with them!  I wouldn't be surprised if they mixed up the artists doing them though.  It would make it a lot easier than what Jay went through.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 03:09:45 AM »

I mean both. If they are ready to go ;waiting untill a future date  just to spread out release dates more is not my preference.

DrDeal

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:07 AM »

I would prefer to wait until at least around Halloween for the next item.  I do like that we have new stuff coming out pretty frequently though. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
I would prefer to wait until at least around Halloween for the next item.  I do like that we have new stuff coming out pretty frequently though. 

We all have our preferences but unfortunately Topps isn't going to shape their release dates around a handful of forum members.  We have to take them as they come!  When this all stops we'll look back at what a fun time this was, even if it was a little hectic and expensive! 

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
We all have our preferences but unfortunately Topps isn't going to shape their release dates around a handful of forum members.  We have to take them as they come!  When this all stops we'll look back at what a fun time this was, even if it was a little hectic and expensive! 
That's how I look at it to Rob! Personaly I'm lovin every minute of it! :great:

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  Topps can pull the plug on new Wacky releases at anytime and without warning.  Enjoy it while Topps is still putting out some great new Wacky items.  I know that Topps is not making huge profits from the Old School releases.  With 3650 boxes at $49 each, this only brings in $175K to Topps.  I think that Dave Gross, Jay Lynch and Mike Jaspersen have done a great job so far.  I believe that Topps agreed to allow the Old School to be produced if Dave agreed to help with ANS releases. So far, Topps has agreed to at least 4 Old School releases. I can only hope that there will be at least 16 like the original series.  At this time, I am quite happy with 1-2 Old releases a year.  I have heard rumors that there will be a lot more inserts in Old School Series Two. They have finalized the base sticker set and puzzle already.  They are considering Red and Black Ludlows, Tan and White Backs and Short printing certain stickers and puzzle pieces. I am not sure that all of these inserts will be in the Series Two.  Topps may spread out these ideas over the next few releases of Old School. They are also considering limits on the sketch characters and there should definitely be more color sketches.  I believe that they will also have other artists drawing the sketch cards in addition to Jay Lynch.  They will not produce more than 4000 boxes.   Keep the Wackies coming.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:44 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  Topps can pull the plug on new Wacky releases at anytime and without warning.  Enjoy it while Topps is still putting out some great new Wacky items.  I know that Topps is not making huge profits from the Old School releases.  With 3650 boxes at $49 each, this only brings in $175K to Topps.  I think that Dave Gross, Jay Lynch and Mike Jaspersen have done a great job so far.  I believe that Topps agreed to allow the Old School to be produced if Dave agreed to help with ANS releases. So far, Topps has agreed to at least 4 Old School releases. I can only hope that there will be at least 16 like the original series.  At this time, I am quite happy with 1-2 Old releases a year.  I have heard rumors that there will be a lot more inserts in Old School Series Two. They have finalized the base sticker set and puzzle already.  They are considering Red and Black Ludlows, Tan and White Backs and Short printing certain stickers and puzzle pieces. I am not sure that all of these inserts will be in the Series Two.  Topps may spread out these ideas over the next few releases of Old School. They are also considering limits on the sketch characters and there should definitely be more color sketches.  I believe that they will also have other artists drawing the sketch cards in addition to Jay Lynch.  They will not produce more than 4000 boxes.   Keep the Wackies coming.

Thanks for posting that intriguing info! It certainly whets my appetite for Old School 2. I like the idea of the different backs - how cool would it be to pull a Ludlow?

Any chance you'd want to reveal where you got your information?

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:28 AM »
I actually received an email from Dave Gross a few months ago. He said that they have a number of options that they are considering for series II as far as inserts and what not. Ludlows, tan backs and stuff like that will be appearing in future releases (but not all at once). The sketch cards generated lots of comments from collectors. They are putting together a plan to make maximize interest in them without upping the cost to people. Limits on characters are being considered but they don't want to stifle Jay who likes to spice things up here and there.  There should definitely be more color sketches.  As for box counts for next time last I heard they want to do the same number but if it goes up I can't really see it going any higher than 4000.  He didn't want to give too much information and they expect a formal announcement sometime in October.  I hope I have my facts right; I don't want to spread any rumors.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 06:09:41 AM »
I actually received an email from Dave Gross a few months ago. He said that they have a number of options that they are considering for series II as far as inserts and what not. Ludlows, tan backs and stuff like that will be appearing in future releases (but not all at once). The sketch cards generated lots of comments from collectors. They are putting together a plan to make maximize interest in them without upping the cost to people. Limits on characters are being considered but they don't want to stifle Jay who likes to spice things up here and there.  There should definitely be more color sketches.  As for box counts for next time last I heard they want to do the same number but if it goes up I can't really see it going any higher than 4000.  He didn't want to give too much information and they expect a formal announcement sometime in October.  I hope I have my facts right; I don't want to spread any rumors.

I'm sure most forum members will take that info with a grain of salt knowing how rapidly things can change with Topps. But it's fun to hear the possibilities, so thanks for posting.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:34 AM »
Some of that is happening and some of that is not. Things are changing all the time. One of the big things I planned for series 2 may have to be delayed until series 4 because it requires lots of legal legwork before it can be done and there may not be enough time for it to be included this go around. Yes, there will be a bump up in the box count due to the interest and the too quick sell-out. Final numbers will come later (definitely not more than 5000 boxes so no worries). The inserts are going to be very interesting.  No short printing has been discussed. I don't want to get into any specifics until the flyer is released.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:30:39 AM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:56 AM »
I believe that Topps agreed to allow the Old School to be produced if Dave agreed to help with ANS releases.

Not at all. They did it because they like the idea and they hope it makes them some money. I am happy to work on both series and they are run by two different editors who I have excellent relationships with. Neither series has any connection to each other. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »
Some of that is happening and some of that is not. Things are changing all the time. One of the big things I planned for series 2 may have to be delayed until series 4 because it requires lots of legal legwork before it can be done and there may not be enough time for it to be included this go around. Yes, there will be a bump up in the box count due to the interest and the too quick sell-out. Final numbers will come later (definitely not more than 5000 boxes so no worries). The inserts are going to be very interesting.  I don't want to get into any specifics until the flyer is released.

PLEASE don't kill me with rare chasers!!  I know the last thing you would do is shape a series around one collector, but I hope you will consider doing exactly that this time.  Email me the current scenario and I'll let you know what revisions I would suggest (ASAP).  LOL! 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »
PLEASE don't kill me with rare chasers!!  I know the last thing you would do is shape a series around one collector, but I hope you will consider doing exactly that this time.  Email me the current scenario and I'll let you know what revisions I would suggest (ASAP).  LOL! 

Other than sketch cards which will be a personal preference concerning what people want to collect everything else will be as easy to get as the last time. We tinkered with the sketch cards to make collecting them more interesting. We also will be utilizing a request some people made here. More in October...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:30 AM »
Other than sketch cards which will be a personal preference concerning what people want to collect everything else will be as easy to get as the last time. We tinkered with the sketch cards to make collecting them more interesting. We also will be utilizing a request some people made here. More in October...

Ahh, good news!  I'm hanging by a thread with these new series.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the updates Dave. Sure hope my pockets are deep enough to keep up with everything.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »

I like to criticize as much as the next guy, but I really think Old School was as close to perfect as could be done.  In my opinion, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.  A bit of tinkering can add some spice, but in something as well done as Old School I, I fear there's more downside to upside if the tinkering becomes significant changes.  Even though shortprints were a part of many original series (though certainly not all), that would be a huge downside if you ask me.  Stick with a winner with a bit of fine-tuning and all will be well in Wackyland!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »
I like to criticize as much as the next guy, but I really think Old School was as close to perfect as could be done.  In my opinion, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.  A bit of tinkering can add some spice, but in something as well done as Old School I, I fear there's more downside to upside if the tinkering becomes significant changes.  Even though shortprints were a part of many original series (though certainly not all), that would be a huge downside if you ask me.  Stick with a winner with a bit of fine-tuning and all will be well in Wackyland!

I thought it was awesome as well, but the one thing I would alter a bit would be with the packaging.  I would put the sketch cards and any other chasers into the packs.  That would make the opening process much more exciting.  Opening packs with chasers has turned into a really fun ritual for me and my kids.  Even my girlfriend and her kids get into it.  They love the excitement of getting something somewhat rare.  With Old School once you had your envelope opened and a base set complete, killing more packs became rather mundane. 

I know, it was supposed to be like it was when we were kids and there weren't rare chase or sketch cards, but the difference is that now we buy them by the box, not by the pack.  I remember buying 5 packs, sticking them in my pocket and then riding my bike home to open them.  The amount I open now yields a base set very quickly.   

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I thought it was awesome as well, but the one thing I would alter a bit would be with the packaging.  I would put the sketch cards and any other chasers into the packs.  That would make the opening process much more exciting.  Opening packs with chasers has turned into a really fun ritual for me and my kids.  Even my girlfriend and her kids get into it.  They love the excitement of getting something somewhat rare.  With Old School once you had your envelope opened and a base set complete, killing more packs became rather mundane.  

I know, it was supposed to be like it was when we were kids and there weren't rare chase or sketch cards, but the difference is that now we buy them by the box, not by the pack.  I remember buying 5 packs, sticking them in my pocket and then riding my bike home to open them.  The amount I open now yields a base set very quickly.    

The thing with putting sketch cards into packs is that they won't be in penny sleeves, and will also be subject to mechanical damage during packaging.  Even with series 6 postcards, when my sketches were loose in the larger packs without the penny sleeves, one slid all the way to the side and ended up with a bend in a corner.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
I would put the sketch cards and any other chasers into the packs.

I'm definitely with Rob on this one.  I have a bunch of un-opened Old School packs that you know exactly which cards are inside (since you can see through the wrapper).

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
The thing with putting sketch cards into packs is that they won't be in penny sleeves, and will also be subject to mechanical damage during packaging.  Even with series 6 postcards, when my sketches were loose in the larger packs without the penny sleeves, one slid all the way to the side and ended up with a bend in a corner.

That didn't seem to be a problem with the Flashbacks.  If they go into the middle of the packs it shouldn't be a problem.  I know there's been a couple of rare damaged cards with ANS7 but it doesn't sound like a widespread issue.  It's a good point though and definitely has to be considered because the sketch cards are unique and are not cut from sheets and collated the same as the others.

With the postcards though the quantities are so limited they should really put the sketches into the plastic toploaders.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »

No short printing. That is a definite. The tinkering is only to enhance things not change things mightily. We made some obvious changes like getting rid of the logo stickers as we don't need to repeat that again. The rest are all fun changes or things that will enhance the collecting experience.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »
I thought it was awesome as well, but the one thing I would alter a bit would be with the packaging.  I would put the sketch cards and any other chasers into the packs.  That would make the opening process much more exciting.  Opening packs with chasers has turned into a really fun ritual for me and my kids.  Even my girlfriend and her kids get into it.  They love the excitement of getting something somewhat rare.  With Old School once you had your envelope opened and a base set complete, killing more packs became rather mundane.  

I know, it was supposed to be like it was when we were kids and there weren't rare chase or sketch cards, but the difference is that now we buy them by the box, not by the pack.  I remember buying 5 packs, sticking them in my pocket and then riding my bike home to open them.  The amount I open now yields a base set very quickly.    

I don't think that will happen as the run is too small to deal with that headache. I can just see all kinds of mistakes happening where some box gets two or more packs with sketches, another gets none and so on.

I will ask about making the order a bit more random for what is in the packs and I know they want to do different wrappers. I expect them to be better this time around. The print quality will also be better. One thing I do want to do is have some special "golden ticket" cards randomly inserted in packs. That would definitely result in pack opening excitement. This has been an ongoing debate though. You will know when I know!

We will definitely have the mini promo sticker for the 3rd series. That is all I will say is included.

PS - I saw some of Jay's sketch cards for the series today. This is me:  :c029:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:39:20 PM by slamjim »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »

The hard to get one off and color sketch card is what sold out OLDS so quick. People would spend the money because they knew they would at least get a sketch card. The tougher chase cards are what attracts brisk sales. The formula worked for OLDS because even if you didn't get a rare sketch you still hot a sketch. This same formula has worked for the Postcard series as well. I feel that Topps knows the formula for success.

anything