Author Topic: Smoke em if you got em….  (Read 2348 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Smoke em if you got em….
« on: September 25, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
Does anyone have a theory on why they did so many cigarette and cigar parodies in the 16 Original Series? I count at least 25 cigarette or cigar parodies, and that does not count alcohol. Considering these stickers were aimed at kids, why did they do so many cigarette stickers?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:55:46 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Smoke em if you got em….
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
Does anyone have a theory on why they did so many cigarette and cigar parities in the 16 Original Series? I count at least 25 cigarette or cigar parities, and that does not count alcohol. Considering these stickers were aimed at kids, why did they do so many cigarette stickers?

They were widely advertised in the 70's. 

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
They were widely advertised in the 70's.

It's funny these days, whenever I watch a Disney movie with my grandchildren, right under the G Rating, it warns of tobacco depiction in the movie.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 11:41:50 AM »
You do realize in the 70's they sold candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars. So the sticker is not that far fetched.  Still in 79 Crazy Labels had Alcohol and tobacco stickers

Offline drono

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »
On April 1, 1970, President Richard Nixon signed legislation officially banning cigarette ads on television and radio. In 1964, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) agreed that advertisers had a responsibility to warn the public of the health hazards of cigarette smoking.

I guess that was the first anti-cigarette Wacky Packages Day.

In America it was reported erroneously in 2010 that the Family Smoking and Prevention Control Act banned candy cigarettes. However, the rule bans any form of added flavoring in tobacco cigarettes other than menthol. It does not regulate the candy industry. Most candy cigarettes continue to be manufactured in the United States, with the largest maker of candy cigarettes, World Confections Inc, being based in New Jersey.

You can buy a 24-pack on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/World-Confections-Candy-Cigarettes-Pack/dp/B000BXSRT2
https://www.amazon.com/Dubble-Bubble-Cigars-Assorted-Flavors/dp/B000CPQXEK
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:14:41 PM by drono »

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »
We loved those candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars…Luckily i was smart enough to not get started on the real things….

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:23:36 PM »
Wasn't there such a thing as chocolate cigars once?

I remember a Peanuts daily comic strip where Charlie Brown passed some out to the other kids after his little sister Sally was born. Even Snoopy got one in the last panel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:09:15 AM by mikecho »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 07:22:36 AM »

It's funny these days, whenever I watch a Disney movie with my grandchildren, right under the G Rating, it warns of tobacco depiction in the movie.

I guess today they'd warn of violence for Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker, Roadrunner, & The Three Stooges

I'm grateful that my Choke Wagon sticker didn't turn me into an animal abuser! 

Offline DaffyBP

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 08:48:43 AM »
I suppose many of us here grew up in the 1970s, as did I. My father smoked cigarettes (thankfully outside and never in the house). Neither of my parents drank; however, there were plenty of alcohol and tobacco ads on TV or in print, so I honestly never gave it another thought when there were parodies of these products in the Wacky Packages.  I eventually did become a cigarette smoker (and now have been a non-smoker for 20 years), but I didn't start smoking because of the Wackys!!

Offline freetoes

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »
Does anyone have a theory on why they did so many cigarette and cigar parodies in the 16 Original Series? I count at least 25 cigarette or cigar parodies, and that does not count alcohol. Considering these stickers were aimed at kids, why did they do so many cigarette stickers?

Many of their parents smoked (and some of the kids would soon start). So they were definitely familiar with the different brands. Many other parodied products like detergents and house cleaning agents were mainly used by adults, though the toy and candy Wackys tend to hold a special place for us.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 11:12:23 AM »
Yes, i never did any laundry as a boy, but i LOVED “Ill Tempered Sneer!” 

anything