Author Topic: If you see the word "Vintage".... run!!  (Read 2141 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

If you see the word "Vintage".... run!!
« on: September 08, 2021, 04:17:06 PM »
It has been my experience over the last 25 years of rediscovering wackys again to avoid any ebay or such listing that has the word "vintage" in it...  it almost always means the seller has no idea of what they are listing... or what it may be worth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324770671136?hash=item4b9dd72a20:g:GqkAAOSwFqVhLEZS
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:32:51 PM by 70s_Kid »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: If you see the word "Vintage".... run!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
It has been my experience over the last 25 years of rediscovering wackys again to avoid any ebay or such listing that has the word "vintage" in it...  is almost always means the seller has no idea of what they are listing... or what it may be worth

only lightly nibbled on by Silverfish. LOL

and anyone that still uses L@@K should be avoided at all costs too

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
only lightly nibbled on by Silverfish. LOL

and anyone that still uses L@@K should be avoided at all costs too

L@@k means.... run!!  LOL

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »
Don’t forget “rare”, and my personal favorite, “ultra rare.”

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:20:48 PM »

Yeah, like the minis for Ebayer and Minute Mud that used to be rare and now are common but still listed as rare.
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 08:40:40 PM »
Yeah, like the minis for Ebayer and Minute Mud that used to be rare and now are common but still listed as rare.

Still ultra super secret rare in series 1.  :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:38:51 PM »

LOL....  yep!  When I see the word rare....  it usually means rare "not" to see it everywhere!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 09:48:53 PM »
Lets not forget the ever popular W@W !!!

Jim

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 04:26:17 AM »
I have used "rare" recently for some of the chase minis like black Cram minis, and I don't think that's inaccurate, since the manufacturer itself designated those as "really rare."

And, I have used "vintage" on many occasions when listing items like action figures from the 1970's and 1980's to distinguish my items from recent issues.  There's a huge difference between a 1983 Jedi Luke figure and something Kenner produced two years ago.  And when I was still buying older figures, I actually used to search using that word along with other descriptive terms.  Even with Wackys, to me "vintage" means anything before ANS, or at least before 1991.

Just my 2 cents; those words in descriptions don't make me run.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
I have used "rare" recently for some of the chase minis like black Cram minis, and I don't think that's inaccurate, since the manufacturer itself designated those as "really rare."

And, I have used "vintage" on many occasions when listing items like action figures from the 1970's and 1980's to distinguish my items from recent issues.  There's a huge difference between a 1983 Jedi Luke figure and something Kenner produced two years ago.  And when I was still buying older figures, I actually used to search using that word along with other descriptive terms.  Even with Wackys, to me "vintage" means anything before ANS, or at least before 1991.

Just my 2 cents; those words in descriptions don't make me run.

Valid point, I was only thinking of cases where the product being offered is common as dirt or totally ruined by excessive wear or damage.  Not that anyone here would fall for an overpriced common and/or poor condition item, but the uninitiated certainly might.  There will of course always be honest sellers like yourself who use these terms appropriately, but we see endless examples of sellers who try to create the illusion of rarity to appeal to the uninformed bidder/buyer.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 10:14:05 PM »
I use the word vintage too in listings - there's almost no better one word description for items that are in-between antique and recent, though vintage is actually a term used for wine. When we were describing items from the 1960s in the 1980s, we used the term modern. Guess we can still use that for items from the 1960s-1990s but that seems to be a moving target, and it's moved on....
A