Author Topic: Check out my Wacky quilt  (Read 2222 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Check out my Wacky quilt
« on: September 06, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »
So about ten years ago I first heard of the idea of taking old t-shirts and making a quilt out of them.  Apparently, this sort of thing is popular with folks who have, say, dozens of t-shirts from running races and that sort of thing.  I loved the idea of making a Wacky quilt out of my t-shirts, boxers, pajamas etc.  At the time I was dating a woman who was highly skilled at making quilts and I started to gather all my material together to start working with her on it.  Unfortunately, that relationship ended soon thereafter and I sort of gave up on the idea of a Wacky quilt.  Recently, however, someone on Nextdoor.com asked if there was a quiltmaker in the area.  A woman reported that she had quilt her corporate job and turned to quiltmaking full time.  Even better, she lived in my neighborhood.  I contacted her and we talked through my idea of making a Wacky quilt out of all sorts of Wacky clothing material I had.  After a fair amount of planning and work, I picked up my quilt yesterday.  I may never be able to paint a Wacky or even write one, but at least I can say I had some hand in the creation of this bit of "original art".  Hope you like it and please steal this idea.  I'd love to see more stuff like this in the Wacky-verse.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Check out my Wacky quilt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »
So about ten years ago I first heard of the idea of taking old t-shirts and making a quilt out of them.  Apparently, this sort of thing is popular with folks who have, say, dozens of t-shirts from running races and that sort of thing.  I loved the idea of making a Wacky quilt out of my t-shirts, boxers, pajamas etc.  At the time I was dating a woman who was highly skilled at making quilts and I started to gather all my material together to start working with her on it.  Unfortunately, that relationship ended soon thereafter and I sort of gave up on the idea of a Wacky quilt.  Recently, however, someone on Nextdoor.com asked if there was a quiltmaker in the area.  A woman reported that she had quilt her corporate job and turned to quiltmaking full time.  Even better, she lived in my neighborhood.  I contacted her and we talked through my idea of making a Wacky quilt out of all sorts of Wacky clothing material I had.  After a fair amount of planning and work, I picked up my quilt yesterday.  I may never be able to paint a Wacky or even write one, but at least I can say I had some hand in the creation of this bit of "original art".  Hope you like it and please steal this idea.  I'd love to see more stuff like this in the Wacky-verse.

Very nice. My son used to always wear novelty tees when he was in his teens. He passed of leukemia when he was 21. We had several quilts made from his over 40 shirts that we will always treasure as a remembrance. My daughter also has one of them.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
Very nice. My son used to always wear novelty tees when he was in his teens. He passed of leukemia when he was 21. We had several quilts made from his over 40 shirts that we will always treasure as a remembrance. My daughter also has one of them.

Thanks, Scot!  I'm so sorry to hear about your son; I didn't know that.  A quilt is certainly a nice way to remember someone.  I'm glad you have those.

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
That quilt rocks!!!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 04:12:28 PM »
The 1st series Cloth set used to be my favorite all-time, but I might just have a new favorite!!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 03:30:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing. That quilt is quite the work of wacky art!!

Andrew

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »
That quilt ts really nice. I like it!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »
Very cool quilt (is that an oxymoron?)   :great:

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »
Very cool quilt (is that an oxymoron?)   :great:

It's a quilt for cool people  ;)

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
That's really cool! What size is it?

Offline ebrookek

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:48:35 PM »
LOVE this idea! Super cool! Now you can stay warm in a wacky way!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 07:38:42 AM »
Thanks, all, for the compliments!  To answer a question, it is 6' by 5'.  Wish I had wall space to display it, but it will remain folded over the back of the couch in my basement/collectibles museum. 

Oh, and stay tuned.  I will have another unique work of Wacky art in the not-too-distant future that I hope others will copy for their own pleasure :)