Author Topic: Czechlets  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Jean Nutty

Czechlets
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
Recently I ran across some info that may relate to the nature of the Czechlets title. 

(I mean no disrespect by repeating these non-PC words.)

The story of the Ovitz family (Hungarian Jews from Romania) is well known. The father and 7 of the 10 children were dwarfs. In the 30’s, the children founded their own ensemble, the Lilliput Troupe, and sang and played music all over Czechoslovakia, Romania, & Hungary. Their story is fascinating and tragic. Here is a photo.

Hermine’s Midgets have been featured in “The Court Jester” (1955 musical-comedy with Danny Kaye), Robert Downey’s “Putney Swope” (1969), and the 1970s children’s show Lidsville. It is reported they came from Vienna and moved to the US in 1939 and performed at the World’s Fair. During the 40’s, Bob Hermine published "The Magazine of Midgets". One reference says the group was originally assembled by a Czech woman.

Offline DaffyBP

Re: Czechlets
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks for posting this, as I was unaware of any potential connection. I wonder if there are any other subtle Wacky references that I might have missed over the years?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
The Ovitz family was 12 people and the Wacky says “12 people”.  Odd coincidence?

The Ovitzes sang in Yiddish, Hungarian, Romanian, Russian and German. They were supposedly the largest family of dwarfs ever recorded and the largest family to enter Auschwitz. They suffered at the hands of Josef Mengele. Most of the family survived Auschwitz.

In Jay’s rough, I'm unsure of the meaning or gag for "Russian Satellite Citizens"

Maybe a reference to Sputnik?

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
I believe that gag is referring to the fact that after WW II, eight countries in Europe were referred to as Soviet satellite states: Czechoslovakia, Albania, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary,  Yugoslavia and East Germany.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 01:35:15 PM »
Wow - fascinating and in-depth...
A

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 01:52:40 PM »
I remember seeing that picture of the Ovitzes in one of the volumes of the Life Nature Library (I can't remember which one, though).

anything