Author Topic: Anybody know about these promo posters?  (Read 5636 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Anybody know about these promo posters?
« on: September 01, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
Not the folded up posters Topps sold in the 1970s, these were both (promo?) posters from the 1970s…I apologize, I am terrible at uploading links and photos, but there are currently two different posters on e-bay..First is asking $600 for a poster of reproductions of first series stickers, the seller makes it clear it is not an uncut sheet, but a poster he saved wrappers and sent in to get. Ebay auction number is 324773679623….second poster is for sale at $375, has Wacky Package logo in the center, and reproductions of a ton of OS Wackys. The ebay auction number of that item is 384243384397…Does anyone know how rare these posters are? Im sorry if this has been previously covered in this forum, but when i searched for “posters” i get a bunch of threads about the folded poster packs that were sold…

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Anybody know about these promo posters?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »
The mail in poster is indeed difficult to find, and is a vintage Topps item. The other poster I believe is fan produced.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
Would you think it is $600 rare? I realize items are always worth whatever someone us willing to pay. Anyone on here have a mail-in poster?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 02:45:04 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »
Would you think it is $600 rare? I realize items are always worth whatever someone us willing to pay. Anyone on here have a mail-in poster?

I had one I received in the mail when I was about 14 but cut it up to fill holes in my collection.  :sad:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »
I had one I received in the mail when I was about 14 but cut it up to fill holes in my collection.  :sad:

Don't cry, I used uncut sheets to fill my holes.   :'(

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
Ah, the foolish things we did when we were young….It is a wonder that we, and our collections even survived…

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
I think I have two sets of all three mail away posters and some of the mailing tubes Topps used to mail them out originally.  They are very difficult to find.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »
I think I have two sets of all three mail away posters and some of the mailing tubes Topps used to mail them out originally.  They are very difficult to find.
It is escaping me: what's the third mail away poster? I can only think of the Hostage and Weakies versions of the one JOJ pointed out. I have both Hostage and Weakies versions, though the latter is in pretty poor shape. I also have two versions of the other (fan made) poster with all the die-cut/OS stickers on it.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »
It is escaping me: what's the third mail away poster? I can only think of the Hostage and Weakies versions of the one JOJ pointed out. I have both Hostage and Weakies versions, though the latter is in pretty poor shape. I also have two versions of the other (fan made) poster with all the die-cut/OS stickers on it.
Believe Ernie is referring to the 1979 reprint mail away poster.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
Posters are very cool, but that is a LOT of money, and framing larger items is NOT cheap...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
Believe Ernie is referring to the 1979 reprint mail away poster.
Ah, OK. That one completely slipped my mind, obviously.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »

I have all three mail in posters - $600 could be fair depending on condition.  The $375 poster was fan produced and I think we paid $25 for one

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
Anyone have a link to these posters to see what we're talking about?

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »
Sorry, the original listing for item #324773779623, the mail in poster for $600, is no longer on eBay, nor is it listed as having been sold. Maybe the seller pulled it. There is the same item, listed at $660 in slightly worse condition fir $660 as item #324789716259. The $375 fan poster is still listed as item #384243384397….

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
No links to images elsewhere on the web?

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »
No links to images elsewhere on the web?

Here is the link to an auction for the mail in poster:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324789716259?ViewItem=&item=324789716259

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 04:22:00 PM »
Here is the picture of the mail in poster, so we might still see it for a while after the auction is gone.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2023, 04:09:51 PM »
Anyone have recent comps on these?  I just realized I have all three versions of the mail away posters still available as i never brought them to market.    I was thinking of bringing them to the show but I think I might be better off sending them to an auction house just to see what I get.  I don't really do eBay anymore.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 04:11:28 PM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2023, 11:16:39 PM »
Posters are very cool, but that is a LOT of money, and framing larger items is NOT cheap...

Posterboard is the next best thing!   And at a fraction of the cost (well, it used to be anyways; haven't had a poster mounted in some time).   

And this just ain't "a ton of wackys".....it's ALL OS wackys, and very well done; particularly with the red pack in the middle (I voted for that).

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 12:04:37 AM »
 And the 2nd one of my fav posters...you gotta see the larger picture to appreciate this one.    I tried looking through my wacky papers and could not find the author of this incredible poster:  (I think it was the same author as the all-OS poster.)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 12:10:25 AM by Plastered Peanut »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2023, 12:25:43 AM »
Posterboard is the next best thing!   And at a fraction of the cost (well, it used to be anyways; haven't had a poster mounted in some time).   

And this just ain't "a ton of wackys".....it's ALL OS wackys, and very well done; particularly with the red pack in the middle (I voted for that).

I kept looking through my notebook of wacky history....John Dubinski!   That's the man that created the OS poster.   John you still out there???    I think he is also the collage creator.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2023, 04:53:59 AM »
I kept looking through my notebook of wacky history....John Dubinski!   That's the man that created the OS poster.   John you still out there???    I think he is also the collage creator.

That is an awesome poster!  What are the dimensions, and do you know where I could get one?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 05:18:38 AM »
That is an awesome poster!  What are the dimensions, and do you know where I could get one?
I’m curious as well.  While I know I don’t own one, I’m baffled as to how I could have passed on this at the time it was offered.  Maybe I just never took a good look at one.  Seeing the whole run of ‘67 through OS16 in one visual is just awesome.  I imagine they must be at a somewhat reduced scale to make the overall poster size manageable.

Offline drono

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 06:05:45 AM »
What are the dimensions?

I seem to remember that it's standard movie poster size.  I think I bought a frame for mine from Michael's.

And the 2nd one of my fav posters...you gotta see the larger picture to appreciate this one.

I wanted to get one of those in Dr. Ono, but he only had a few designs that he made.  I seem to remember his saying that it was very expensive to print, so he only chose a few.  Unfortunately Dr. Ono didn't win out.  :sad:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2023, 08:15:40 AM »
I imagine they must be at a somewhat reduced scale to make the overall poster size manageable.
Each image is 45% of the card size. I have one of these posters; I got lucky that I got into the hobby almost at the same time these were made available by John.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2023, 11:44:29 AM »
Each image is 45% of the card size. I have one of these posters; I got lucky that I got into the hobby almost at the same time these were made available by John.

When was that?  Like Moldrush, I cannot see myself skipping this   :-\

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2023, 05:30:37 PM »
I have at least one.  I have to go through these tubes I have as it seems I have all sorts of old school sketch posters, this poster and some other stuff.  Very unlikely that I am keeping any of it as I am in massive sell off mode.

Offline drono

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2023, 06:56:14 PM »

It had to be mid to late 90s?  I think it was around the same time I went to the Philly Non-Sports show when the Hale-Bopp comet was visible in 1997.  IIRC, John was the fractal guy, and it seems like he disappeared just as quickly as he appeared.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2023, 07:39:45 PM »
I’d have to disagree with Dennis’ timeline, though he isn’t way off. I have distinct recollections of the poster being designed (including the red pack in the middle choice) in my early months of the hobby. I believe it was discussed amongst many collectors on the Delphi forum. The best I can narrow it down would be between Fall 2001 and Spring/Summer 2002.

I think I have a variation of this poster (which I acquired much more recently). I’ll hunt it down and post pictures when I can.

Offline drono

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2023, 08:26:55 PM »
I’d have to disagree with Dennis’ timeline, though he isn’t way off.

I don't doubt it.  I seem to have a serious case of CRS lately.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2023, 08:40:59 PM »
I’d have to disagree with Dennis’ timeline, though he isn’t way off. I have distinct recollections of the poster being designed (including the red pack in the middle choice) in my early months of the hobby. I believe it was discussed amongst many collectors on the Delphi forum. The best I can narrow it down would be between Fall 2001 and Spring/Summer 2002.

You have an excellent sense of timing!  It was December of 2001.   Dec 15, 2001 at 11:35pm to be precise.   I dug up a copy (that I printed) of John's announcement on Delphi of the finished product.    :P   20 bucks plus 5 shipping was all he was asking!    Super quality poster!   The dimensions are 27" by 38".   I ordered two; one for the home and one for the office; unfortunately, I gave the office one away years ago, or I'd offer it here.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2023, 04:29:08 AM »
Well, that explains why I don't have one.  I never knew about the Delphi forum.  I was just reading The Wrapper and NSU magazines, and attending local shows until stumbling upon Greg's first forum around the time ANS1 was in stores.

Offline drono

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2023, 05:16:44 AM »
You have an excellent sense of timing!  It was December of 2001.   Dec 15, 2001 at 11:35pm to be precise.   I dug up a copy (that I printed) of John's announcement on Delphi of the finished product.    :P   20 bucks plus 5 shipping was all he was asking!    Super quality poster!   The dimensions are 27" by 38".

Kudos for looking that up! I have mine in a movie poster sized frame, which is 27" x 40", and there is a gap at the top and bottom.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 07:30:10 AM »
Well, that explains why I don't have one.  I never knew about the Delphi forum.  I was just reading The Wrapper and NSU magazines, and attending local shows until stumbling upon Greg's first forum around the time ANS1 was in stores.
Same here.  Though I attended a couple Philly & NJ shows and utilized The Wrapper for contacts in the late 90’s, I was completely oblivious to the existence of an online Wacky community until first finding Greg’s forum at the time ANS4 was out, which would have been sometime in 2006 I think.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2023, 08:06:38 AM »
Same here.  Though I attended a couple Philly & NJ shows and utilized The Wrapper for contacts in the late 90’s, I was completely oblivious to the existence of an online Wacky community until first finding Greg’s forum at the time ANS4 was out, which would have been sometime in 2006 I think.
I checked the Spreadshett and ANS4 came out in 2005. Now ANS5, that came out in 2006.