Author Topic: Coolest Wacky Package item?  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Coolest Wacky Package item?
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
By far my coolest item is series 1 display box because that is where it all started for me.  I have many other cool/rare items but they have less nostalgic feeling since I never saw them as a kid.

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/Boxes/box-series1.JPG

Is that the one you bought from my chiropractor?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
Is that the one you bought from my chiropractor?
Your chiropractor?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2021, 07:09:13 PM »
Your chiropractor?

Art Donohue, he sold you a 1st series box I believe.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2021, 06:18:12 PM »
Art Donohue, he sold you a 1st series box I believe.
I thought I got my 1st Box from Eric but I honestly don't remember
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »
I thought I got my 1st Box from Eric but I honestly don't remember

I don’t remember how long ago it was as I’ve known him for 25 years and we always talk wackys. But he said he sold a 1st series box to “Deb_& _Ern” so it must have been quite awhile ago…was that ever your eBay handle?

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 09:09:27 PM »
I don’t remember how long ago it was as I’ve known him for 25 years and we always talk wackys. But he said he sold a 1st series box to “Deb_& _Ern” so it must have been quite awhile ago…was that ever your eBay handle?

My coolest and favorite pieces are the original art pieces that Jay Lynch did for me.  They were commissioned back in 2001.  I cherish them even more now since Jay's early passing.. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »
My eBay handle has never changed but that has to be me, maybe my email the email signature used to be deb and ern.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
By far my coolest item is series 1 display box because that is where it all started for me.  I have many other cool/rare items but they have less nostalgic feeling since I never saw them as a kid.

http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/Boxes/box-series1.JPG

That's a good point, old pal.  The only empty box I kept from the 20+ I had over the years was the green 8th series, as that's the series that started my frenzy (Just like StarWars movies, my collecting order was weird as our ice-cream vendor found older boxes after 8 came out, and just brought whatver was in the warehouse... so I collected 8,7,9,5,2,6,10,11,12,13,14,15,16.  Never had 1,3,4 other than what I pulled from Wonderbread or traded from kids.) 

Star Wars movies I like in order:  5,4,RO,HS,6... (five miles lower down the list)... Star Wars Christmas Special... (five more miles)... 9, 7, 3...  (and any other numbered movie doesn't really exist).

Offline bandaches

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2021, 08:22:30 PM »
That's a good point, old pal.  The only empty box I kept from the 20+ I had over the years was the green 8th series, as that's the series that started my frenzy (Just like StarWars movies, my collecting order was weird as our ice-cream vendor found older boxes after 8 came out, and just brought whatver was in the warehouse... so I collected 8,7,9,5,2,6,10,11,12,13,14,15,16.  Never had 1,3,4 other than what I pulled from Wonderbread or traded from kids.) 

Star Wars movies I like in order:  5,4,RO,HS,6... (five miles lower down the list)... Star Wars Christmas Special... (five more miles)... 9, 7, 3...  (and any other numbered movie doesn't really exist).
How do you remember the sequence of series that you collected?   I collected 1234567 but something weird happened at 7 I remember something was out of order like suddenly  6th started showing up again and I never saw 8 or later.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »
How do you remember the sequence of series that you collected?   I collected 1234567 but something weird happened at 7 I remember something was out of order like suddenly  6th started showing up again and I never saw 8 or later.

Well, although the isolative nature of this stupid pandemic seems to have zapped my short-term memory (well, 2000-2020, really), my long-term is totally in tact.  And also, because I was one of the few people who started collecting Wackys in the 7,8,9 wave, with 8 being the one that hooked me... from there I remembered when they came because it was SO weird to get a chance to buy series 2 packs after already completing 7 and 8.  My Wacky story is definintely non-standard, for sure.  I bought 16th series when it came out, and had a near complete Wacky Ads set from a collectables shop even though I never got to buy die-cuts or 1,3,4 series.  So, when I started collecting again in 1997 & pulled out my collection, it was very different from most of the other 30-somethings raiding their closet at the same time.  Full set of posters w/the 3 hard ones.  2 Grime-Heavy's.  An English 2nd series checklist.  A couple Wacky Placks.  But no boxes, wrappers, tattoos, Ludlows, mail-away posters, or complete puzzles to speak of.  Only kept one checklist for each set.  But they were in little plastic bags instead of rubber-banded anyway.

Yah, something weird did happen around the 7th series timeframe... and I do remember the gumless packs confusing the heck out of us.  The box being thin, it blended in with the baseball cards, too, so at first we though the guy didn't have any Wackys (which was always an extreme source of sadness... until we convinced our icecream man to SAVE a box for our street, since he was my school-buddy's uncle, and the kids on the street before us often bought 'em all up before he got to us... jerks.)  Yah... 1970s memory is still good.  Can't tell you what the hell I did in 2007, though.  heh.  Well, I can.  But it was a boring year.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2021, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm like that with 1970s Yankee lineup and teams that won the World Series you ask me who won the World Series 3 years ago and I have no effing idea

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2021, 08:56:51 AM »
I'm like that with 1970s Yankee lineup and teams that won the World Series you ask me who won the World Series 3 years ago and I have no effing idea

That's because 3 years ago it was the Red Sox!  >:D

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
I don't think this has been covered here before. What is the coolest Wacky item, besides traditional stickers, that you have ever owned or seen? Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a picture on this forum of one of those semi truck toys with a Wacky logo on the side, maybe only a couple in existence. That's probably the rarest and coolest item I've ever seen.   

It's a little hard to talk about the coolest I've ever seen as there have been lots (especially if you count "seeing" as just seeing a picture of it).  But as far as owning, my favorite may be the original art I have of Qreep (from Old School 1) and Runny Face (not an official Wacky, but something I commissioned Jay Lynch to do back in '99).  Both are of real products I love and working with the artists, Jay and David Gross, was lots of fun.  Not sure what either would be worth and I certainly have no plans to sell them.  But looking at them, and sharing the stories, are part of what makes collecting so enjoyable to me.

And, if you check out the new thread I just created ("Check out my Wacky quilt"), you'll see a pic of my most recent addition to my collection that, like those two paintings, is a unique one whose story is as much of the appeal as the item itself.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »
Same here.  The affinity for baseball cards (1978 Topps being my all-time favorite), plus having summers off from school and watching most of their games, I have stronger memories of those Yankee championship teams of 77 and 78 than anything from the last 10+ years.  Same for Islanders dynasty seasons vs the last say 25 years in hockey.  Even the Islanders’ deep playoff runs of the past few years barely registered with me by comparison.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2021, 07:41:42 AM »
Same here.  The affinity for baseball cards (1978 Topps being my all-time favorite

1978 baseball (and 1977 football) are so clearly etched in my brain, not unlike original Wackys series 1-8 or so.  I truly do forget many things these days that I feel like should be on the tip of my tongue.  But name a player from one of those Topps sets mentioned above, and there's a good chance I can picture it in my mind.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2021, 08:04:45 AM »
I love ‘78 baseball also. I work on all of these sets very gradually, I think I’m only about 43% complete on this one….

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
I love ‘78 baseball also. I work on all of these sets very gradually, I think I’m only about 43% complete on this one….

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Whoa!  Are you trying to build an entire set graded?  That would be a huge task.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2021, 04:41:48 PM »
Whoa!  Are you trying to build an entire set graded?  That would be a huge task.

No, I have a mixed raw/graded set. Most of the raw cards are very nice, but grading 1978 commons is no longer affordable so I’m OK with a mixed set.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »

Actually, the 1978 set is the only one from the 1970s that someone completed in all PSA 10, believe it or not.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
No, I have a mixed raw/graded set. Most of the raw cards are very nice, but grading 1978 commons is no longer affordable so I’m OK with a mixed set.
In the ‘00s I wanted to push my 1978 baseball closer to a full set and knew I still needed quite a few commons, so I bought several eBay lots of at least 150-200 cards each.  Probably a good 6 or 7 separate lots.  Some have centering issues but most are in decent shape.  I have most of the keys from my childhood partial set which I managed not to lose, but still need probably a dozen or so semi-keys.  Sorting everything out and cataloguing them is still a future project, but I’m glad I bought them when I did, at 3 or 4 cents per card, compared to current prices i’m seeing on the ‘bay. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2021, 06:18:22 PM »
Same here.  The affinity for baseball cards (1978 Topps being my all-time favorite), plus having summers off from school and watching most of their games, I have stronger memories of those Yankee championship teams of 77 and 78 than anything from the last 10+ years.  Same for Islanders dynasty seasons vs the last say 25 years in hockey.  Even the Islanders’ deep playoff runs of the past few years barely registered with me by comparison.
wow, we are both hard core Yankee and Islander fans.  The Islander GTB line was the best!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
wow, we are both hard core Yankee and Islander fans.  The Islander GTB line was the best!
I started out a Ranger fan because my Dad and three brothers were all Ranger fans, but then something changed and I got hooked on the Isles during the heartbreaking 1978 quarterfinal loss to Toronto.  I still maintained an interest in the Rangers since then, but whenever it came down to the teams facing each other, my loyalty to the blue and orange never wavered.

The bittersweet thing for me about that era was the complete television blackout of all the home games of both teams.  I listened to a lot of games on radio back then, which I remember enjoying, you would still get caught up in the intensity of the game-calling, the crowd noise, etc, but not being able to see any of the games was a major drag.  I lived for the 11pm news just to see the highlights.  Today vintage games transferred from old tapes to DVDs are traded on the internet and some key games made their way onto a commercial box set which I bought, but it sure would have been nice to have seen them back in the day as they were happening.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2021, 06:58:26 PM »
I started out a Ranger fan because my Dad and three brothers were all Ranger fans, but then something changed and I got hooked on the Isles during the heartbreaking 1978 quarterfinal loss to Toronto.  I still maintained an interest in the Rangers since then, but whenever it came down to the teams facing each other, my loyalty to the blue and orange never wavered.

The bittersweet thing for me about that era was the complete television blackout of all the home games of both teams.  I listened to a lot of games on radio back then, which I remember enjoying, you would still get caught up in the intensity of the game-calling, the crowd noise, etc, but not being able to see any of the games was a major drag.  I lived for the 11pm news just to see the highlights.  Today vintage games transferred from old tapes to DVDs are traded on the internet and some key games made their way onto a commercial box set which I bought, but it sure would have been nice to have seen them back in the day as they were happening.
yeah I remember listening to the games on the radio and when visiting my Dad in Massachusetts(my parents were divorced) I was lucky enough to catch Isles games if I sat in the right spot in the house with static am radio barely coming in.  I became hooked on the Isles in 1975 mainly during the incredible series against the Penguins.  didn't really have a favorite player until Bossy was drafted and he forever became my favorite.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2021, 06:31:02 PM »
I find the Irish set to be very cool. I wish more countries had exclusive Wacky sets that we could chase.

My coolest and favorite pieces are the original art pieces that Jay Lynch did for me.  They were commissioned back in 2001.  I cherish them even more now since Jay's early passing..

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2021, 06:58:08 PM »
I find the Irish set to be very cool. I wish more countries had exclusive Wacky sets that we could chase.

That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure I'd agree as that sounds like they could be very challenging to find.  But the Irish set, with so many high quality ones (all Saunders?  Most?) surely makes for a fun set to chase.  I'm very glad I got my set.  Used to own the original art to Doglix, but sold it when I remodeled my kitchen years ago and needed some cash.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »
Just imagine if there was an Italian set, a French set, a Brazilian set, a Japanese set... just one series per country in the same vein as the Irish set. If a warehouse full of Saunders Wackys from canceled foreign sets was found, that would be really fun.

That's an interesting thought.  I'm not sure I'd agree as that sounds like they could be very challenging to find.  But the Irish set, with so many high quality ones (all Saunders?  Most?) surely makes for a fun set to chase.  I'm very glad I got my set.  Used to own the original art to Doglix, but sold it when I remodeled my kitchen years ago and needed some cash.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
Just imagine if there was an Italian set, a French set, a Brazilian set, a Japanese set... just one series per country in the same vein as the Irish set. If a warehouse full of Saunders Wackys from canceled foreign sets was found, that would be really fun.

Popular beverages in Japan include Calpis soda and Pocari Sweat. Let them have at it.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2021, 02:17:52 AM »
Popular beverages in Japan include Calpis soda and Pocari Sweat. Let them have at it.

When I was in Japan, I was constantly calling Calpis (Calpico) "Cow-piss", which apparently they sometimes do to.  Tastes more like carbonated milk & orange julius.  And I DID find ONE example of a Japanese "Wacky" (sort of) in one of those impossible 'claw-arm' arcade machines.  I actually ended up giving it away, though, so I can't even remember now what the gag was.  I think it was a spoof on Asahi beer.  It was a fairly large plush-toy of a tan/yellowish beer can... that's all I remember.  And it only took me 3 tries to win it, too.  Anyone who's ever played a claw machine (since the 1980s anyway, when they purposely made them nearly 100% impossible to win because the claws don't actually stay clenched) knows that 3 tries is insanely hard... but it was a Japanese Wacky Package plushy!  I wasn't going to leave that damn arcade without that thing in my hands if I had to empty out all my Rotsa-Root into that machine!  (Note to Cancel-Culture:  I'm allowed to make that reference without being cancelled as Topps made the un-PC joke first and I'm just referencing it to refer to yen coins).  (Can't be too careful these days).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:20:32 AM by ToadallyDude »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »
Big T - Those drinking glasses ROCK!  If you ever want to sell them I am interested,

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2021, 03:43:14 PM »

Interesting, Ern, I don't think I ever knew that 7th was your last series as a kid.   Mine, growing up in Albemarle, NC, was 11.   Never saw a wacky pack after that series.   My area also never saw series 7 or 9, and very little of 3, 10, and 11.  Where did you grow up?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2021, 09:43:33 AM »
Interesting, Ern, I don't think I ever knew that 7th was your last series as a kid.   Mine, growing up in Albemarle, NC, was 11.   Never saw a wacky pack after that series.   My area also never saw series 7 or 9, and very little of 3, 10, and 11.  Where did you grow up?
I grew up in parsippany nj but my wacky packages reach was limited to a mom and pop convenience store so that might be the reason fir my limited series run.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I grew up in parsippany nj but my wacky packages reach was limited to a mom and pop convenience store so that might be the reason fir my limited series run.

I never saw any wackys after series 7 either. That may have been that my interest had moved on to baseball cards, but I don’t remember ever seeing series 8 up.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2021, 11:05:07 AM »

I like the Irish set too!  I got one in the late 90's but traded it away.  I wish I still had it as it is pretty tough to find nowadays.  Jeff

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »
I have a few to share

Wacky Pins Set #21 of 30

COMPLETE SET of Service Wackies

Set of Wiggly packages Printing Plates

Wacky Lapel Pins - Have no idea where they came from - looks like a homemade item

Wacky Banks - Finally have the set!

Custom from Jeff Zapata

Wacky Record

Wacky Charm used by Vincent price in the Brady Bunch episode in Hawaii ?????????

COMPLETELY!!!! NON-Wacky - But part of the dream of a Wacky Kid in the 1980s like you - I loved my Atari Adventure!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline bandaches

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
I have a few to share

Wacky Pins Set #21 of 30

COMPLETE SET of Service Wackies

Set of Wiggly packages Printing Plates

Wacky Lapel Pins - Have no idea where they came from - looks like a homemade item

Wacky Banks - Finally have the set!

Custom from Jeff Zapata

Wacky Record

Wacky Charm used by Vincent price in the Brady Bunch episode in Hawaii ?????????

COMPLETELY!!!! NON-Wacky - But part of the dream of a Wacky Kid in the 1980s like you - I loved my Atari Adventure!

Richard
#StayWacky
wacky charm is not something I have seen before!  What is the history on that?