Author Topic: Topps Compromised?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline FourRoses

Topps Compromised?
« on: August 21, 2021, 05:24:46 PM »
What I am about to tell you is all true and although it isn't Wacky Packages related per se, I found myself in an odd series of events that has me curious if anyone has experienced the same.

In the past two weeks one of my credit cards alerted me (twice) of suspicious activity which ended up with the original card being replaced with a new number and now, today, that card meeting the same fate. The first incident of suspicious activity occurred on or about the day in which I purchased the Wonky Ads. The second suspicious activity occurred on Wednesday when I ordered the August set of WPs. I do not believe in coincidence but I do believe in starting with a common denominator.

Has anyone had a credit card compromised after buying from Topps.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Topps Compromised?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
A quick google search shows that Topps had security breaches both in 2017 and 2019. It sounds like they have done a pretty poor job of securing their site over the years.

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 08:15:25 AM »
I bought Wonky ads recently without an issue. I did receive a notice of compromise from Topps back in 2019 without any further issues with the card I used. I really don't know if it makes any difference or not, but a couple of years ago I stopped saving any payment info on any websites. I uncheck the save payment if given the option, and where that option is not offered, once I make the payment I go back and delete the payment info so it's not saved as some sites save it automatically. Luckily, I have not had any issues.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 12:05:28 AM »
I bought Wonky ads recently without an issue. I did receive a notice of compromise from Topps back in 2019 without any further issues with the card I used. I really don't know if it makes any difference or not, but a couple of years ago I stopped saving any payment info on any websites. I uncheck the save payment if given the option, and where that option is not offered, once I make the payment I go back and delete the payment info so it's not saved as some sites save it automatically. Luckily, I have not had any issues.

Great call.  Everyone should be doing this.  And it doesn't hurt to use Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and ProtonVPN (free) either.  Although, I think I remember Topps blocking that last time I ordered anything (which was probably about the time those breaches happened, actually).

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 03:56:15 AM »
Great call.  Everyone should be doing this.  And it doesn't hurt to use Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and ProtonVPN (free) either.  Although, I think I remember Topps blocking that last time I ordered anything (which was probably about the time those breaches happened, actually).

Thanks. I also use DuckDuckGo.

anything