Author Topic: Wacky Packages PSA Grading Services  (Read 30697 times)

Offline jeffcaff

Wacky Packages PSA Grading Services
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:51 AM »
Hello Everyone:

I am considering using PSA grading services for the first time. I want to keep a Mint set for myself and then sell off all of the other stickers. I would like to grade some of my best stickers from the original series but I have a few questions.  Do collectors really want PSA graded stickers or would they rather purchase the raw stickers?  How easy is it to sell PSA stickers? It seems that most PSA stickers graded 7 or below will sell for under $10.00. I realize the cost is pretty steep at $5.00 to $7.00 per sticker. If anyone has used PSA in the past, I would love your input.  Postive & Negative feedback are welcomed along with any opinions or advice.

Thanks,

Jeffcaff

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Packages PSA Grading Services
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
Now you've done it ;)
People have some very strong opinions about PSA. This should be fun!

I, personally, have had very good luck with them. I haven't used them in over 2 years but do agree with about 90% of the grades I received. I have heard they are getting a bit tougher such as roller marks and any die-cut through the back.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I am considering using PSA grading services for the first time. I want to keep a Mint set for myself and then sell off all of the other stickers. I would like to grade some of my best stickers from the original series but I have a few questions.  Do collectors really want PSA graded stickers or would they rather purchase the raw stickers?  How easy is it to sell PSA stickers? It seems that most PSA stickers graded 7 or below will sell for under $10.00. I realize the cost is pretty steep at $5.00 to $7.00 per sticker. If anyone has used PSA in the past, I would love your input.  Postive & Negative feedback are welcomed along with any opinions or advice.

Thanks,

Jeffcaff
I have found PSA to be fairly accurate with its grades and I have some I should send in but I am too lazy to follow through.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
Hello Everyone:

Thanks,

Jeffcaff

PSA means to me that if I see a card I want and need in a PSA slab I will have to pay a premium for it and then slice open the ugly plastic case they come in when I get it home.  I can see how it would be fun to look for mint cards and hope PSA grades them as such so you can sell them to others willing to pay a premium for them, because it can lead to some nice profits, but as a collector like me I avoid them as much as possible.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:08:12 AM »
PSA means to me that if I see a card I want and need in a PSA slab I will have to pay a premium for it and then slice open the ugly plastic case they come in when I get it home.  I can see how it would be fun to look for mint cards and hope PSA grades them as such so you can sell them to others willing to pay a premium for them, because it can lead to some nice profits, but as a collector like me I avoid them as much as possible.

You think the cases are ugly? I think they are really nice! I also like how the cards will be very well protected so anyone can handle them. I know top loaders work very well but I really love the PSA holders.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
You think the cases are ugly? I think they are really nice! I also like how the cards will be very well protected so anyone can handle them. I know top loaders work very well but I really love the PSA holders.

I use the Ultra Pro 1/4" screwdowns with the gold color screws and they really look sweet.  If you compare the PSA cases to a regular plastic toploader sleeves sure, they will look decent, but put it next to one of these screwdowns and there's no comparison.  I'll take some pics soon to show the unique way I store.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
I always said I would'nt collect (PSAs) but lately there have been some crazy good deals, I even got a "PSA 8" "Hurtz Baked Bears" a couple of months back for .99!!! Incredible! :o
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

wackyone

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »
Hello Everyone:

Thanks,
Jeffcaff

Hey Jeff,I bought alot of stickers from you last year,good to see you on the board as i know your usually very busy.
I'm surprised you never got more replys on this topic.
I buy alot of PSA's if it's a nice card for the right price,some i keep sealed for various reasons and others i bust open for my binder sets.

I know you have tons of cards and they give members special rates i think,but be very strict with what you send in.they grade strict but don't usually compensate for yellowing/oxidation and centering,may still grade well but may not get the big e-bay numbers.On the other hand I have seen really yellow cards graded very high and morons bidding thru the roof on them just cause it's a such a high grade,,make me laugh when you can get a nicer card for much less money.

Times have changed and they seem to throw a EX-NM on just about anything these days.Getting true solid NM or Mint 8-9 is tuff it seems,sending in super solid, sharp and clean pack fresh cards is the only way to make some money with PSA stuff,unless it's a more desirable card or from the 1st series.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
Here's a perfect example of PSA's odd treatment of wackys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-SERIES-3-HIRED-PSA-9-MINT-1-3-/350481407560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a51de48

This sticker has tanning to the point of being completely unattractive. Yet it scores an unqualified PSA 9. Is there anyone except registry set geeks who wouldn't rather have a nice bright white PSA 7? I can't fathom wanting this sticker for a high grade collection.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-SERIES-3-HIRED-PSA-9-MINT-1-3-/350481407560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a51de48

This sticker has tanning to the point of being completely unattractive. Yet it scores an unqualified PSA 9. Is there anyone except registry set geeks who wouldn't rather have a nice bright white PSA 7? I can't fathom wanting this sticker for a high grade collection.

That's terrible.  It's like they completely disregard discoloration as one of the grading parameters.  To me having that extent of tanning knocks it way down to at least EX, even if the rest of card is NM. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »

Are you sure it's just not the guys scanner setup too dark? It might be slightly tanned but it may look even worse in the picture. I know mines not the greatest and have to tweak it a bit to get it to look right.
Even the white PSA card looks a bit dark.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »

Are all of the colors on baseball cards, fronts and backs exactly the same?  Have you seen baseball cards that are qualified or downgraded due to the grey in the stats area being darker than average? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
That's terrible.  It's like they completely disregard discoloration as one of the grading parameters.  To me having that extent of tanning knocks it way down to at least EX, even if the rest of card is NM.  

It also sort of looks like you can see the black border start of the next card on the sheet at the bottom of the cards white edge. Anyone know off hand what the card below Hired is on this uncut sheet?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:27:01 PM »
It also sort of looks like you can see the black border start of the next card on the sheet at the bottom of the cards white edge. Anyone know off hand what the card below Hired is on this uncut sheet?

It looks like that, but it is only the plastic tab inside the holder that keeps the corners from banking. Its a slight shadow.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
Are you sure it's just not the guys scanner setup too dark? It might be slightly tanned but it may look even worse in the picture. I know mines not the greatest and have to tweak it a bit to get it to look right.
Even the white PSA card looks a bit dark.

As someone else pointed out here in the past, the way to account for scanner effect is to compare the border area of the sticker to the PSA flip. The PSA flip is infinitely whiter. This sticker has serious toning.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 07:50:14 AM »
Are all of the colors on baseball cards, fronts and backs exactly the same?  Have you seen baseball cards that are qualified or downgraded due to the grey in the stats area being darker than average?  

The reason PSA drops the ball on this issue is because sports cards rarely suffer from this due to the heavier stock. The glossy fronts of cards never have toning. The backs can have it, but it's only noticeable when the back of the card has light areas (the 1970 baseball set for example). I don't collect that set, so I'm not sure whether PSA downgrades for it or not, but it would bother me as a buyer in that case too.

I guess it all depends on the stock. The fronts of die cuts seem to always be very bright. On the other hand, the tanback wacky sticker stock (especially from series 2-6) seems to suffer severely from toning. It must have something to do with the sticky part.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
The reason PSA drops the ball on this issue is because sports cards rarely suffer from this due to the heavier stock. The glossy fronts of cards never have toning. The backs can have it, but it's only noticeable when the back of the card has light areas (the 1970 baseball set for example). I don't collect that set, so I'm not sure whether PSA downgrades for it or not, but it would bother me as a buyer in that case too.

I guess it all depends on the stock. The fronts of die cuts seem to always be very bright. On the other hand, the tanback wacky sticker stock (especially from series 2-6) seems to suffer severely from toning. It must have something to do with the sticky part.

I vote for Paul Maul Wacky Packages PSA Service !!!!  :great:
You'd seriously would do a way better and fair examination.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Totally agree!

Offline Kook

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »
Ditto

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 04:16:22 AM »
Ditto

When Dave tells me a grade on something I buy from him, I put a post-it note on the toploaders stating where they came from and what conditions Dave considered them.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
When Dave tells me a grade on something I buy from him, I put a post-it note on the toploaders stating where they came from and what conditions Dave considered them.

Dave should start a thread where he scans the front and back of a card in hi-res so we all can see it, and then we PM him what we think the grade should be.  Then when everyone is done we could discuss the grades and why some graded them differently than others.  I think it would be very educational for us and help some with grading.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »
Dave should start a thread where he scans the front and back of a card in hi-res so we all can see it, and then we PM him what we think the grade should be.  Then when everyone is done we could discuss the grades and why some graded them differently than others.  I think it would be very educational for us and help some with grading.

That is an excellent idea...As I would also look for the packs being graded - it would help clear it up for many of my OS stickers which are a NRMT condition - or so 'I' think...I also agree with Raw Goo's assessment of Dave's Grading...

This might go for other odd items as well like BOXES - even if its only a forum concensus...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, but I really don't think of myself as an expert grader. As a lover of high grade items, I've spent too much of my collecting life assigning only two grades: "good enough" and "not good enough." So I still have a tough time sometimes with pinning down mid and lower grades.

I'd vote for John Frick as an expert grader of wackys.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
Dave is the EF Hutton of Wacky grading.   lol

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, but I really don't think of myself as an expert grader. As a lover of high grade items, I've spent too much of my collecting life assigning only two grades: "good enough" and "not good enough." So I still have a tough time sometimes with pinning down mid and lower grades.

What do you think about doing a thread where we can all grade individual cards?  I'll do it if you want.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
Dave is the EF Hutton of Wacky grading.   lol

I'm listening

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
What do you think about doing a thread where we can all grade individual cards?  I'll do it if you want.

That sounds cool. On a massive scale of a number of different participants it should be more unbiased and thorough.  :D

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
I guess if a wacky is so mis-cut that the copyright disappears, it is no longer miscut!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

Personally, I'm on the fence, but lean toward PSA stuff sucking, in that #1: Wackys weren't printed to be collected as much as to be peeled and stuck, so unlike cards, true PSA 10's are more of an anomaly, like a printing-error in a way.  All the tire-tracks & miscuts & color shifts give Wackys some charm & character, and remind us that they were supposed to be used, not hermetically sealed.  And #2: Unless one is a zillionaire, with a lot of ridiculous cash to burn, the average collector's not going to ever get a 1-16 run of 9's and 10's., all in the same sized slabs.  So, most of us are stuck with our collections in a mixed state of 9-sleeve pages in binders, top-loaders, and the odd PSA slab here & there.  It's much more fun to view the stickers if they're all the same, though IMO.  So, it seems like the only people going after PSA's really hard are the few who want entire PSA runs, or those who are just trying to flip 'em (which doesn't seem lucrative anymore).  I tried my hand at grading my best examples & eBaying them a bunch of years ago, which was cool for a while.  But I replaced them with acceptable doubles, and don't really care if my run's not Crispy Minty-Mint.  (I'm sure others would disagree with me, though.  I've never been in the Minty-Mint camp.)

Offline Kook

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
I guess if a wacky is so mis-cut that the copyright disappears, it is no longer miscut!

(Image removed from quote.)

No guarantees it's not a 1st opc tan, though it's a longshot.

Here's a wonderbread impersonating a 1st series tanback:

There's no excuse for this one, especially since PSA has wonderbread sets registered. I could see if it's a diecut variation, but not an in your face copyright.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:43:56 PM by Kook »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
There's no excuse for this one, especially since PSA has wonderbread sets registered. I could see if it's a diecut variation, but not an in your face copyright.
This irks me as well. However, in all fairness, I think PSA just slabs it labeled as what they were told it is by the submitter. If the submitter is clueless, you see this. Of course, it could be argued that PSA shouldn't label something incorrectly, regardless, but...

Offline Kook

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
This irks me as well. However, in all fairness, I think PSA just slabs it labeled as what they were told it is by the submitter. If the submitter is clueless, you see this. Of course, it could be argued that PSA shouldn't label something incorrectly, regardless, but...

I think part of their slabbing service is authentication in addition to grading. I'm sure they use the customer's notes as a guide, but when the customer is wrong, this is something they should catch. I once cross graded some state quarters with PCGS. I believe this is a sister company to PSA. ICG, another grading company, graded the set of 5 silver state quarters as PR69dcam (a high proof grade). When they crossed over the 5 coin year set to PCGS, only 3 of the 5 were actually silver pr69dcams. Two of the 5 weren't silver. They relabeled them regular (clad) proofs in grades of 67 & 68 regardless of what the other grading company said. I can't imagine sending in a '73 maddie boy and calling it a '67 diecut and they would slab it as such, though it would be a fun experiment.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
PSA, while I think is an excellent service for 1950s-1979 sports cards, does miss a lot of things when ask to grade items outside its area of expertise.  Wacky packs are obviously not its (Wonder):^) bread and butter, but at least they are a credible name for grading. 

My biggest beef is some of the inconsistencies I see in the grading of Wackys.  Last year I bot a PSA 8 on the bay that probably should have been a PSA 6 considering the waviness of the sticker.  For the most part though, they do a decent job.

The nice thing about PSA is that they have a set builder registry which in theory improves liquidity and desirability of its graded material.  I expect the PSA to gain some more traction with Wacky collectors over time as people get frustrated with misrepresented crap they buy on the bay.  This problem is what led to the multi-fold increase in popularity of PSA rated sports cards over the past decade.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

Thanks for the nice words Dave! :)

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the nice words Dave! :)

If you call him a "Frick-en great Wacky grader", do you think it'll make it to Yahoo news? (...like the recent Graduation thing did)