Author Topic: Storage/display options  (Read 6881 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Storage/display options
« on: July 28, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »
There is some information on here, but I'm just curious as to how collectors store/display their Wacky Packages? Maybe those are two different things. I use baseball card pages in three-ring binders, which is great for flipping through them and keeps from having to handle them so much. I decorated the binders with stickers and a title page. However, the binders take up quite a bit of shelf space. You have to alternate the direction in which you stack or stand them, or the spines accumulate and get out of whack. I have seen the cardboard boxes sized for cards, but this doesn't seem to offer much protection when you want to flip through them. Also, does anyone use rigid toploader sleeves? If so, what do you store the sleeves in? Any photos of your storage solutions would be cool.

Offline bigtomi

Re: Storage/display options
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:25:00 PM »
Since JOJ asked.....(apologies for the dusty-greasy grime, I really need to dust this area, been about a year since I did.  :-[)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »
Awesome Wacky museum, 10/10, would visit!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »
What a beautiful sight!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »
Awesome! I see Shedds Peanut Butter and the Jaymar puzzle…..

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:47:13 PM »
Ive never seen a Wacky Semi Truck!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:13:15 AM »
Seriously, where did you get that semi truck? I would take it out and play with it, not keep it in a box.....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48:30 AM »
Since JOJ asked.....(apologies for the dusty-greasy grime, I really need to dust this area, been about a year since I did.  :-[)

Darn impressive!!!
A

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 02:02:41 PM »
Seriously, where did you get that semi truck? I would take it out and play with it, not keep it in a box.....
An eBay grab back in late '03, if I remember right. It was the first one "found" in the hobby, as I recall. At last count, there are six (6) others known. It's still sealed in its original packaging and sealed in the cereal box case for display. I'm thinking of putting it in a volcano, like the Juicedratic equation...lol.

And, to really answer your original question, I have my keeper sticker sets in binders/pages like you. I know some think this unsafe (and maybe it is), but I like having them accessible and easy to view. All my spares/extras are in cardboard card holders, like I showed my extra puzzle pieces on another thread.

And also, thanks to all who've complimented the display, I appreciate that you appreciate it. As long as someone asks, I'll post pics.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 02:53:41 PM »
An eBay grab back in late '03, if I remember right. It was the first one "found" in the hobby, as I recall. At last count, there are six (6) others known. It's still sealed in its original packaging and sealed in the cereal box case for display. I'm thinking of putting it in a volcano, like the Juicedratic equation...lol.

And, to really answer your original question, I have my keeper sticker sets in binders/pages like you. I know some think this unsafe (and maybe it is), but I like having them accessible and easy to view. All my spares/extras are in cardboard card holders, like I showed my extra puzzle pieces on another thread.

And also, thanks to all who've complimented the display, I appreciate that you appreciate it. As long as someone asks, I'll post pics.

I love the glasses!!  And that 5¢ Wacky Ad box.......

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 03:45:42 PM »

Cool to finally see a photo of the truck with other items around for scale.  I never realized they were that big.  I pictured them being the size of a Hotwheels scale truck from the available photos I've seen.  That's one Wacky item I never did own at any time.  Cool that you've kept track of how many there are out there, too.  6 known seems like there MUST be a "find" out there somewhere, as I can't imagine the production run being less than 10,000 units.  Amazing no one's found a case of old store stock yet.  Thanks for sharing.  Cool pix.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:31:46 PM »
Here’s some pictures of my cabinet…

I do keep my other OS sets in penny sleeves inside of toploaders. I have them inside of toploader binders. My OS 15 and 16, however, I do not have space for in said binders. So they stay in the cabinet.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 01:14:21 PM »

I do keep my other OS sets in penny sleeves inside of toploaders. I have them inside of toploader binders. My OS 15 and 16, however, I do not have space for in said binders. So they stay in the cabinet.

That cabinet looks bullet-proof.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »

Fantastic! 👍

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
Do you have laser beam security protecting it???

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »

Is that an Oakley display cabinet?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:04 AM »
Is that an Oakley display cabinet?

Yes, it is. My aunt is an optometrist (that’s the eye doctor, right?) and she was planning on getting rid of this cabinet when she moved. So, I took it and here it is.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2021, 01:06:58 AM »
Does anyone else have any of those custom mylar sleeves one of our buddies made for our Wacky Pack foldout poster sets?  My collection is still in those really long sleeves, although I'd hesitate to try to pull them out again.  And I remember getting a bunch of custom-sized plexi-glass boxes made exactly for the dimentions of certain Wacky 1-16 display boxes.  I only have an empty 8th series box anymore.  But I must have had at least 10 made over the years at a plastic shop nearby.  So, whoever got my old box collection probably still has those.  They worked well to keep the boxes totally impact-free, but the lids weren't hinged, so they came off if they were tipped upside down.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2021, 10:38:31 AM »
I thought those plastic box holders were a great idea for full boxes to allow for stacking. For empty boxes they really aren’t necessary, as empty boxes are light enough to be stacked or otherwise arranged without any real likelihood of damage….

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 11:38:24 AM »
I thought those plastic box holders were a great idea for full boxes to allow for stacking. For empty boxes they really aren’t necessary, as empty boxes are light enough to be stacked or otherwise arranged without any real likelihood of damage….

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a nice cabinet!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »
That is a nice cabinet!

I think it’s called a jelly cabinet. Kind of like this….

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »

Now THAT is as pretty as a picture!

:-)
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 05:28:55 PM »
I think it’s called a jelly cabinet. Kind of like this….

Yep, that's it! You know I'm an avid cabinet collector. It's a damn shame you don't have anything better to put in there than those stupid "Wacky" things.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2021, 11:02:53 AM »
SUPERB!!!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »

I think you mean in a safe in a vault in a volcano. lol.

And everything else there looks really good, too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:46:34 AM by mikecho »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
Yep, that's it! You know I'm an avid cabinet collector. It's a damn shame you don't have anything better to put in there than those stupid "Wacky" things.

😁 How do you like this one?

Online quas

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 06:26:03 AM »

Yes, why do you have to collect those idiotic little pieces of cardboard?!  Signed, Many-A-Spouse-Of-Wacky-Collector.com
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »
Yes, why do you have to collect those idiotic little pieces of cardboard?!  Signed, Many-A-Spouse-Of-Wacky-Collector.com

You can show them this (below). It won't help, but you can show it to them.   :]

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 05:22:40 PM »
I’m getting ads for jelly cabinets on YouTube now

This must be a sign

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2021, 07:59:50 PM »

LMAO.  That comment was funnier than most of the gags, man.  I lucked out & didn't get any heat for my collecting, but I've met many-a-spouse of all sorts of collectors of things.  They usually change their tune, though, when they see the silly cardboard turn into $, though.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2022, 11:46:44 AM »
Revive! This thread needs more photos. At the moment, my display had to be taken down - oldest teenager needed his own room, dontcha know. I'm always inspired by what others have done, so show us!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2022, 12:27:27 PM »

I'm just seeing this thread now, but love this display.  What a collection!  I don't seem to recall the yellow Wacky Packages Postcards binder, however.  When did that come out?

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2022, 12:29:17 PM »
There were red (2010), yellow (2012) and Halloween (2012) postcard binders officially offered.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:31:45 PM by Lavirus »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2022, 12:30:18 PM »
I have them inside of toploader binders.

So I'm not sure what toploader binders are.  Is this a new thing?  I don't recall hearing that term before.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »
There were red (2010), yellow (2012) and Halloween (2012) postcard binders officially offered.

Interesting.  I have the red and Halloween ones, but don't recall the yellow one.  I likely did hear about it at the time and declined to drop the $20 or so because I had enough room in the binders I had at the time.  HOwever, given that Topps hasn't made a binder in years, I'm running out of room in my official Topps binders and using generic ones.  I wish Topps would make some new binders, whether for current products or older sets.