Author Topic: The return of Joe G. Spoilers - kinda  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Joe G.

The return of Joe G. Spoilers - kinda
« on: July 14, 2021, 12:21:50 PM »
So I'm happy to say I'm back doing a few Wacky's.  I have two in this months set one of which I'll post here since it was previewed in this month's ad.  Both of 'em are homages to classic titles and I'd think it's pretty obvious which title inspired this gag.  I've included the original gag which dates back to 2014 and was originally submitted for ANS 12 (which later became WP 2014 series 1).  The art director at the time didn't go for it but the new guy at Topps thought it was pretty fun!

Also I do want to thank the great Wacky artist Pete Zies for having my back and going to bat for me at Topps.  His efforts really paid off and it's so great to be doing Wacky Packages again.

Offline Swiski

Re: The return of Joe G. Spoilers - kinda
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 12:41:55 PM »
Excellent work Joe!!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 12:58:17 PM »
Yikes! I can feel my ego growing already! The only thing "great" is my waistline, but Thank You for the kind words. I think we all can agree that Wackys will only benefit from adding other excellent artists to the pantheon of immortals that already illustrate our gags for us. Especially when the artist is a blast from the past, like Joe G., it feels like welcoming him home! Here's hoping we will see plenty more from you! - PZ

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 06:58:50 PM »
Baby Rats looks great! Maybe I'll start ordering the Weeklys/Monthlys again....A

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
Steve and Richard, thanks so much for the kudos! 
Pete, your work Rocks whether you know it or not and yes, I agree, the more the merrier when it comes to artists contributing to Wackys! 

I just looked and it seems that both Dave and Neil have shown their July paintings so I guess it OK for me to show my second. 

Without further ado I present crime Spree.  This gag dates back to 2013 and like Baby Rats the character was inspired by a classic title.

ps.  Since Wonka is not longer on the current candy package the design was updated to reflect the current packaging.  Not sure of the history but I know Jason Liebig would know all!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:11:12 PM by Joe G. »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 06:21:57 PM »
Steve and Richard, thanks so much for the kudos! 
Pete, your work Rocks whether you know it or not and yes, I agree, the more the merrier when it comes to artists contributing to Wackys! 

I just looked and it seems that both Dave and Neil have shown their July paintings so I guess it OK for me to show my second. 

Without further ado I present crime Spree.  This gag dates back to 2013 and like Baby Rats the character was inspired by a classic title.

ps.  Since Wonka is not longer on the current candy package the design was updated to reflect the current packaging.  Not sure of the history but I know Jason Liebig would know all!

Is that man on Crime Spree a reboot version of the man on the Run Tony Wacky Package from original sticker series 2?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »
Is that man on Crime Spree a reboot version of the man on the Run Tony Wacky Package from original sticker series 2?
Sure looks like it to me.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »
These are great!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »
Great stuff!!!!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 11:11:31 PM »
Darryl and Mike, you got it!  Bigger nose, smaller chin and clean shaven but that’s Run himself, on the run and eating candy. 

Jason, thanks so much!  Coming from the Candy Man himself that means a ton to me!

Chad, thanks, I appreciate it!  Always a pleasure seeing your new work and glad to finally have some that I can share.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 02:55:57 AM »
Darryl and Mike, you got it!  Bigger nose, smaller chin and clean shaven but that’s Run himself, on the run and eating candy. 

Jason, thanks so much!  Coming from the Candy Man himself that means a ton to me!

Chad, thanks, I appreciate it!  Always a pleasure seeing your new work and glad to finally have some that I can share.

Run Tony runs again!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
BIG congrats to my friend, Joe, for his return.  It's been a "long time coming", like the train in the song....

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »
Thanks Paul!  Well if you dug these keep a close eye on nexts month’s set when some of our Wacky gag collaborations will finally see the light of day!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »
Hey Joe,

great to see you back in the mix, and looking forward to your August entry!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »
Hey Joe,

great to see you back in the mix, and looking forward to your August entry!

Patrick, well thank you and since you asked here it is!  I don't know why Topps decided to call it Coma on the checklist, that sounds like some 1970's horror movie starring Genevieve Bujold and not a Wacky Cereal parody.  Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this title was a collab with the great Paul Harris.  Time was he and I did quite a number of really fun Wacky gags that the old Topps art director didn't go for.  Now that Wackys are under new management some of these can finally see the light of day!  I hope you enjoy it!

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 08:05:51 PM »
Love the Honey Coma! Sometimes the shortest gags are the best…

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »

Thanks for posting! Great job all around, love the gag. I especially like "-tose" instead of Post. Seems to have a double meaning to me as both the ending of Coma-tose and the extended suffix for some sugars like fructose and lactose. Sweet!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 09:25:15 PM »
JailOJohn thanks!  Mike, yup that hyphen on -tose was an interesting call.  Wasn't 100% sure it would play, so I'm glad you dug it.  As to your "Sweet" comment, too funny!

Now for those who may be interested here's what the text on the side of the box says:

* An Excellent Source of Z
* A Total of 10 Naps
* 8g of Sugar Per Gram
* Low in Taste & Fat Free

Even though you'll never be able to see it on the Wacky you still have to write something!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 06:15:33 AM »
I remember we both were on the fence about the "-tose", but glad it made it in there and stayed in there!

And great job as always on this one, Joe, you captured how many of us feel after our sugar-cereal rush in the morning!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »
Now for those who may be interested here's what the text on the side of the box says:

Even though you'll never be able to see it on the Wacky you still have to write something!
Thanks!
I was straining my zoom features and my eyeballs to figure those out

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
Paul, right back at ya!  Writing gags with you is always a blast and don’t forget all those fancy logos are 100% Paul Harris originals!

Patrick, my pleasure and next time just PM me and I’ll send you a high res scan!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 09:15:02 PM »
OK my last two for now.  Here are my September Wackys.  Both where done with a little help from my friend Paul Harris!  Oh and I signed them August because they were originally to come out in August but I was surprised to see that Topps saved them for September.  Enjoy!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 04:56:42 AM »
Excellent work, as always! Great detail! Wackys are lucky to have you back!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 06:55:33 AM »
well done, Joe, and thanks for the kind words, and I always remind people that while we can pitch some ideas
and concepts around, the great artists like yourself make them your own, put your own spin, your own "finesse"
on them and create these silly things we all love, Wackys, and we're grateful to have them back!

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 07:50:05 AM »

That See N' Slay is awesome! I want one! The real toy - not the wacky (though I would grudgingly accept a sticker as an alternative if the toy completely sells out). Great work!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 08:21:30 AM »
That See N' Slay is awesome! I want one! The real toy - not the wacky (though I would grudgingly accept a sticker as an alternative if the toy completely sells out). Great work!

Maybe it will turn up as a mini  :] :]

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »

Agree!!! I want a real one too...good work Joe!
A

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »
Nice!

OK my last two for now.  Here are my September Wackys.  Both where done with a little help from my friend Paul Harris!  Oh and I signed them August because they were originally to come out in August but I was surprised to see that Topps saved them for September.  Enjoy!