Author Topic: Topps 1989 Vault Sale  (Read 6587 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
Topps 1989 Vault Sale
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
I Think that was the year. Did anyone on here participate or hear about anyone who did? I know it was before ebay and Heritage, so im guessing it was one of those live auctions, maybe with bidders on huge cell phones…like an early Mecum auction……I have seen some original art pieces from this event on e-bay over the years….

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Topps 1989 Vault Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
I Think that was the year. Did anyone on here participate or hear about anyone who did? I know it was before ebay and Heritage, so im guessing it was one of those live auctions, maybe with bidders on huge cell phones…like an early Mecum auction……I have seen some original art pieces from this event on e-bay over the years….

There were several hobby bigwigs at the auction, including Roxanne Toser and Robert Foster among others. Most buyers bought multiple lots. For example, Robert was able to get about 100 titles. Most went for less than 100 bucks and immediately afterwards, some could be acquired for 150-200 dollars on the secondary market. I was able to get Pupsi Cola this way for 150 (long since sold, by the way). There's a great auction book that was widely distributed and can still be found on ebay. It shows most of the individual lots for sale, although towards the end of the night, there were a significant number of pieces sold that never appeared in the book. Robert stuck around for the entire auction and said that some of those lots went for 25 bucks because most everyone was tapped out from purchasing baseball art.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »
It was referred to as guernsey auction.  Have you had any luck getting art pieces?  I am chasing the frankenstein art.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 07:32:02 AM »
I have never been able to buy, but have seen original art pieces occasionally on e-bay over the years. On the rare occasion one pops up, the price is too rich for me.....

Offline bandaches

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 05:49:59 AM »
I have never been able to buy, but have seen original art pieces occasionally on e-bay over the years. On the rare occasion one pops up, the price is too rich for me.....
So is your quest in this thread to see images of the art?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 07:25:42 AM »
Not necessarily, just wondered if any of you fellow collectors had attended or subsequently purchased any of the art. I am just happy to have fellow collectors to talk to about Wackies.

Offline lcummins

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
There were several hobby bigwigs at the auction, including Roxanne Toser and Robert Foster among others. Most buyers bought multiple lots. For example, Robert was able to get about 100 titles. Most went for less than 100 bucks and immediately afterwards, some could be acquired for 150-200 dollars on the secondary market. I was able to get Pupsi Cola this way for 150 (long since sold, by the way). There's a great auction book that was widely distributed and can still be found on ebay. It shows most of the individual lots for sale, although towards the end of the night, there were a significant number of pieces sold that never appeared in the book. Robert stuck around for the entire auction and said that some of those lots went for 25 bucks because most everyone was tapped out from purchasing baseball art.

I attended the auction but was poor at the time and didn't bid. As soon as the non-sports day was over, I went up to Bob Foster who was standing in line to pay for his lots and inquired about several pieces of art from several sets (which included Slaytex) I was interested in. We made a deal on the spot... he sold me about 7 or 8 pieces on a payment plan, and doubled his money on every piece, but to me it was worth it. I guess it really was worth it in the long run, as I sold Slaytex back in the art wars days of the late 90's. Wish I still had it though.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:44 AM »
Original art of Slaytex sounds sweet!!!Do you regret selling it?

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 05:09:56 PM »
I attended the auction but was poor at the time and didn't bid. As soon as the non-sports day was over, I went up to Bob Foster who was standing in line to pay for his lots and inquired about several pieces of art from several sets (which included Slaytex) I was interested in. We made a deal on the spot... he sold me about 7 or 8 pieces on a payment plan, and doubled his money on every piece, but to me it was worth it. I guess it really was worth it in the long run, as I sold Slaytex back in the art wars days of the late 90's. Wish I still had it though.

Did you sell all your pieces, or just Slaytex?  I used to know so much about all the art, but after many years of being sort of distant from Wackys, very little of it remains in my brain.  I seem to remember when Slaytex changed hands, though.  Any time any piece changed hands it was a big deal.  Like 1st edition rare books with pedigrees and all.  I don't have any left, and never did find Hostile Thinkies or pulled/unpublished 8th series Toadal, which were sort of holy grail titles for me.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »
...although towards the end of the night, there were a significant number of pieces sold that never appeared in the book. Robert stuck around for the entire auction and said that some of those lots went for 25 bucks because most everyone was tapped out from purchasing baseball art.

I just re-read this line & realized that's the first time I ever heard this part of the Guernsey story.  I heard about a group of pieces that were not in the auction catalog being sold much later.  But I never heard that some of the non-listed pieces were actually sold within the auction.  Was anyone ever able to list those?  Obviously, we've all seen various pieces out there that weren't in the catalog, and some that were sold in the Topps Vault thing many years later.  But the "mystery pieces" that we were never able to track back in the late 90s/early 00's could easily have been in this "late sale" group.  It would be cool to know if anyone now has a COMPLETE database of all the OS original art & where it is and came from.  I had a decently accurate one back when I was collecting.  But it's all way obsolete now.  By all accounts, just like the art was mainly in the hands of 2 or 3 people at the time of Guernsey, and then a different 2 or 3 people in the 90s, it seems like it's all in another different 2 or 3 now.  But one day, it would be cool to finally see a "Wacky Museum" exhibit.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 05:38:41 AM »
https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/news/topps-vault-mike-jaspersen

I found that to be quite an interesting article mentioning the '89 auction, Duryea, the topps vault in the 2000's, etc..,

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 07:01:18 AM »
It would be cool to know if anyone now has a COMPLETE database of all the OS original art & where it is and came from.

Shortly, after the auction, I put together a list based on Robert's feedback, but it might take some serious digging to locate. Anyway, if I find it, I'll certainly post here.

One title on the "missing" list that comes immediately to mind is "Freebee", a parody of "Frisbee". Robert sent me a photocopy of it and it was really cool!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:05:23 AM by koduck »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 03:47:17 AM »
Shortly, after the auction, I put together a list based on Robert's feedback, but it might take some serious digging to locate. Anyway, if I find it, I'll certainly post here.

One title on the "missing" list that comes immediately to mind is "Freebee", a parody of "Frisbee". Robert sent me a photocopy of it and it was really cool!

Was that a "Lost Wacky" meant for one of the 1-16 series?  Can't remember if I ever saw that back in the day.  I saw a lot of really rare & secretive stuff back in the late 90s/early 2000's that either Jay showed us at his house, or collectors would come up with & not want the word to get out yet, etc.  It was a Wild West back then, and there were at least 3 collections of artwork that were sort of "taboo" to even talk about in detail.  But so much of it has seen the light of day now. 

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 05:47:58 AM »
Was that a "Lost Wacky" meant for one of the 1-16 series? 

Couldn't say for sure where it was supposed to appear, but it was definitely painted by Norm. Haven't seen it printed anywhere yet...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »
Is there a JPG someone can send me of Freebee, or any other "secret" Lost Wacky painted artwork?

PM me if you can't post it publicly. Thank you!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »
I posted "freebee" here once before, but that was years ago, so I don't know if it's still available. But I'll do some looking this weekend and see if I can find the print out. If so, I'll post it again.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »
The Guernsey (sp?) auction was before my time but I always enjoy hearing stories of it and similar original art news.  I did buy a copy of the auction catalog on ebay (later sold it) and I certainly drooled at the stuff that was out there.  Not sure I could have afforded much back in '89 even if I was at the auction, but it all seems so dirt cheap now.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 05:42:10 AM »
I haven't found the color "freebee" scan yet but here's the next best thing:

Thanks to Paul Harris for digging this up!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 05:57:24 AM »

That would have been a great Wacky!  I remember how much I loved View Monster when I pulled it - something about a Wacky of a toy you had was even better than regular groceries.

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
Generally, it's the venue and not the convention that sets the health and safety rules.

In the middle of summer, the convention center here didn't require masks. Now they are back to requiring masks again.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2021, 08:34:45 PM »
That would have been a great Wacky!  I remember how much I loved View Monster when I pulled it - something about a Wacky of a toy you had was even better than regular groceries.

It looks like Norm Saunders artwork

Offline lcummins

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
Sorry I'm just now responding...

Original art of Slaytex sounds sweet!!!Do you regret selling it?
Yes, it was always my favorite Wacky! I would dearly love to still own it, but I've got my memories.

Did you sell all your pieces, or just Slaytex?  I used to know so much about all the art, but after many years of being sort of distant from Wackys, very little of it remains in my brain.  I seem to remember when Slaytex changed hands, though.  Any time any piece changed hands it was a big deal.  Like 1st edition rare books with pedigrees and all.  I don't have any left, and never did find Hostile Thinkies or pulled/unpublished 8th series Toadal, which were sort of holy grail titles for me.

Slaytex was my only Wacky, all the other pieces were from various other Topps sets. If I remember rightly, one was from Frankenstein Stickers, but I just don't remember the rest. Believe it or not, I'm not even sure if I still own them or sold them. At the time, my job required me to travel around the country and I would bring home boxes full of stuff and drop them off at my childhood home. I haven't actually looked at some of those boxes in decades! I guess I need to dig them out and see what's inside! I might be surprised! I think there might even be a Land of the Giants test wrapper in one of those boxes. Maybe out-of-sight, out-of-mind was a good thing! If I had gotten back into those boxes in the early 2000's, I would have probably sold most of the better stuff, as I got out of non-sports for about 10 years. Now I'm glad there might be some good stuff still there.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »

Slaytex was my only Wacky, all the other pieces were from various other Topps sets. If I remember rightly, one was from Frankenstein Stickers, but I just don't remember the rest. Believe it or not, I'm not even sure if I still own them or sold them. At the time, my job required me to travel around the country and I would bring home boxes full of stuff and drop them off at my childhood home. I haven't actually looked at some of those boxes in decades! I guess I need to dig them out and see what's inside! I might be surprised! I think there might even be a Land of the Giants test wrapper in one of those boxes. Maybe out-of-sight, out-of-mind was a good thing! If I had gotten back into those boxes in the early 2000's, I would have probably sold most of the better stuff, as I got out of non-sports for about 10 years. Now I'm glad there might be some good stuff still there.

What a fun treasure hunt you have to look forward to!!!  I hope you will share some pics with us when you start digging.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 06:01:19 PM »
Sorry I'm just now responding...
Yes, it was always my favorite Wacky! I would dearly love to still own it, but I've got my memories.

yes, you had(or still have) but I am pretty sure you sold your frankenstein piece.  I have most of the sets' original art and was going to chase the few I didn;t have but I gave up.  I believe phantom of the opera was on ebay, I don't recall if that was the one you had, I chased it for awhile but its path lead to a dealer who passed away and nobody knew what happend to that piece after that.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 05:58:03 PM »
Has anyone put together a current list of Wacky Packages original art (1-16 + Dies/Ads) and what's been unearthed, who has it, etc?  Would be interesting to see the flow of pedegree.  My old records are completely obsolete at this point, but I get the sense that the bulk of them are in only about 4 or 5 collections.  The the better titles with Saunders characters anyway.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 06:30:34 PM »
Has anyone put together a current list of Wacky Packages original art (1-16 + Dies/Ads) and what's been unearthed, who has it, etc?  Would be interesting to see the flow of pedegree.  My old records are completely obsolete at this point, but I get the sense that the bulk of them are in only about 4 or 5 collections.  The the better titles with Saunders characters anyway.
Ironically most of the people who assumed that I would flip all my artwork ended up selling all their artwork probably mostly to Eric.  I still have hurts.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 06:08:03 PM »
Ironically most of the people who assumed that I would flip all my artwork ended up selling all their artwork probably mostly to Eric.  I still have hurts.

Has anyone reached out to Eric Roberts lately?  It has been a serious minute.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »
Has anyone reached out to Eric Roberts lately?  It has been a serious minute.

Reached out about what? I have been in contact with him for different reasons probably half a dozen times in the last couple of years.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »
Reached out about what? I have been in contact with him for different reasons probably half a dozen times in the last couple of years.
Same here reached out to Eric on a variety of things and he's generally very responsive.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 01:02:55 PM »
Same here. Had some nice dealings with him a few months ago.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2022, 01:54:04 PM »
Is this Eric Roberts the actor? Or some white whale Wacky collector? I know Nicolas Cage collected comic books until he got tired of it…

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
Is this Eric Roberts the actor? Or some white whale Wacky collector? I know Nicolas Cage collected comic books until he got tired of it…

This is not Eric Roberts the actor. This ER is just a collector who happens to be wealthy and as a result has an impressive collection both of stickers and original art.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 02:31:13 PM »
I was just wondering if he was still collecting....  another name that popped in my head the other day out of nowhere is Andrew Relkin.  I don't recall having great trades with him though... 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2022, 11:56:03 AM »
I was just wondering if he was still collecting....  another name that popped in my head the other day out of nowhere is Andrew Relkin.  I don't recall having great trades with him though...
Andrew ralkin was the 1st person I came across when I was actually trying to sell my childhood collection he bought it all and then wanted to return everything and just keep my bum chex and choke wagon and I told them nope it's all or nothing.  I regretted selling my wackies and took the rrelkin money and bought a wacky pack collection from some guy in Minnesota that I met through prodigy ,  it was a massive collection across series 1 to 15 stickers including 20 grime heavies.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2022, 08:09:15 PM »

This is cool, never saw it before. It looks more to me like Tom Bunk art though and the packaging for that Wham-O Frisbee is 1980 and a little later from what I've seen. Maybe for the 1985 series?