Author Topic: any card shows these days?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
any card shows these days?
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
I live in the Midwest, and comic book conventions are back on, with some restrictions because of Covid. Other than the Philadelphia Non Sports Card Show, are there any other shows out there which might feature Wacky Packages for sale? E-Bay is all well and good, some but some of us like to go to live shows to meet and greet...... 

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: any card shows these days?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 01:11:25 PM »
There is one in Chicago in October….

https://www.nonsportcardshows.com/

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 03:41:56 PM »
Not to be too high maintenance, but Chicagoland is a 3-hour drive…in your experience, are there typically lots of wackies at these shows? Or is it all Muppets and Land of the Lost cards? 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »
I’ve never been to the Chicago show, but no, I would not say there are “lots of wackys” at any of these shows. Most of the wackys at the Philly Show are brought there by collectors (unless Matt Stock is setting up). Some dealers have some wackys, but nothing overwhelming.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 02:27:25 AM »
Nutzaboutcards usually has a good amount of Wackys, most graded though as far as I know.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 02:41:57 AM »
One of the best things about the Philly show is how many Wacky collectors attend, and the possibility for in person conversation and trading.  I had a lot of fun the few times I was able to go.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »
I can attest that at the Chicagoland show there are plenty of wackys for sale.  ( I set up there and last spring I had over 1000 wackys for sale. ) I will be there in the fall and guess what? there will be plenty of wackys for sale.  All I need to know is what you are looking for.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »
I think it is fair to say most wackys for sale at shows lately are from collectors selling their extras so the chances of "scoring a find" ie the almost complete 2nd series ludlow set I bought for $90 years ago is very little these days.  The generic non sport dealer who is not a hard core wacky collector having a big stash of unsearched wackys is very rare at a show.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 05:58:06 AM »
I think it is fair to say most wackys for sale at shows lately are from collectors selling their extras so the chances of "scoring a find" ie the almost complete 2nd series ludlow set I bought for $90 years ago is very little these days.  The generic non sport dealer who is not a hard core wacky collector having a big stash of unsearched wackys is very rare at a show.

Exactly right on all counts. And happy birthday! 🎉🎂

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
It is rare to find a stash of wackys now a days.  Last big stash was over a year ago.  He new he had something but just wanted to get rid of all at once.  That would have been my last find in the wild for wackys.  I got lots of series 4 bum Chex and Choke wagons.  plus many series 13-15 cards.  of the 2000 or so I bought only about 100 were good enough to send into get graded.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 08:55:04 AM »
I found some information on here about the Philly show, which I know has been the premiere Non Sports Card show for many years. Does anyone have any insight on how this show got started, or why it is held in Philadelphia rather than NYC, Chicago or even L.A.?   

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 07:21:05 AM »
I found some information on here about the Philly show, which I know has been the premiere Non Sports Card show for many years. Does anyone have any insight on how this show got started, or why it is held in Philadelphia rather than NYC, Chicago or even L.A.?
Was never in Phiadelphia, the first shows were actually in NJ

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
Was never in Phiadelphia, the first shows were actually in NJ

I guess it’s like the NY Giants playing in NJ. That portion of South Jersey is part of the Philly metro area.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »
Does anyone have any insight on how this show got started, or why it is held in Philadelphia rather than NYC, Chicago or even L.A.?
My guess would be because the folks that organized/ran the show were the Toser's, from Non-Sport Update magazine, which was headquartered in Harrisburg, PA. Wouldn't make sense to go much further from their base of operations. (Glad they have it east of there, if it were nearer them, not sure I'd attend much).