Author Topic: List of Wacky Look Alike Series?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
List of Wacky Look Alike Series?
« on: April 05, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
   Has anyone ever compiled a comprehensive list of all the non-wacky look alike series? I'm looking for information on sets that came before Wackys, as well as the many limited run sets that were produced in the past couple of decades or so. Can anyone point me towards a source on these? Thanks!

Offline DaffyBP

Re: List of Wacky Look Alike Series?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:09 AM »
I am not aware of a comprehensive source, but here are some links to begin research on Package Parodies, Silly Supermarket Stickers and Fleer's Crazy Labels.  There's also a general article link on package parodies (not just Wacky Packages). Maybe someone else will have more/better information! Blessings!

Package Parodies
https://www.nslists.com/packpar.htm
https://www.nslists.com/jachlist.htm

Silly Supermarket
https://www.facebook.com/sillysupermarket/posts/to-all-silly-supermarket-sticker-fansi-thought-it-might-be-a-fun-endeavor-to-out/653279414735847/

Fleer Crazy Labels
http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/2010/03/1979-fleer-crazy-labels.html

Non-Wacky Packages parodies
https://www.beckett.com/news/alternative-wacks/

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »
   Has anyone ever compiled a comprehensive list of all the non-wacky look alike series? I'm looking for information on sets that came before Wackys, as well as the many limited run sets that were produced in the past couple of decades or so. Can anyone point me towards a source on these? Thanks!

For some parody sets pre-dating Wacky Packages, there are some threads here in the forum:

TOPPS - Phoney Records 1967:  http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=5802.0

BALLYHOO MAGAZINE  - Ballyhoo Card Game cards 1931:  http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=983.0

STRICTLY FUN - Monster Candy Cigarettes:  http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=323.0

Some other interesting sets:

SWELL - Goofy Groceries:   http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=351.0

WONDER BREAD - Crazy Cars :  http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1462.0

TOPPS - Krazy Little Komics:  http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1972.0

$illy $aver banks:    http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1972.0

Unfortunately, the pics have fallen off some of these. Does anyone remember the fix for that?

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »
Rusty's site has a large listing from 1931 - 2007 -ish

http://www.lostwackys.com/odd-stuff/non-wacky.htm

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

Unfortunately, the pics have fallen off some of these. Does anyone remember the fix for that?

Sometimes, editing the post to say postimg.cc instead of postimg.org will restore the pictures, but not always.  I'm having no luck so far with these.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »
Sometimes, editing the post to say postimg.cc instead of postimg.org will restore the pictures, but not always.  I'm having no luck so far with these.

I probably still have the scans for the ones I posted years ago. Maybe a good rainy weekend project to re-add some of these again.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »
I probably still have the scans for the ones I posted years ago. Maybe a good rainy weekend project to re-add some of these again.

The one I tried today was yours, and all that happened was the blue box about the image being unavailable disappeared.  I wish this wasn't so flaky!  How can a thread be a reliable resource when pictures keep vanishing?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »
The Benjamin guides would be good for some of this - Crazy Labels and Crazy Magazine Covers at least.  But a lot depends on how far one wants to stretch the definition of Wacky lookalikes.  Would those Chug cans and goofy TV dinners make the cut as well?  Silly CDs from several years back?  Hard to know where to draw the line.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 11:56:04 PM »
The Benjamin guides would be good for some of this - Crazy Labels and Crazy Magazine Covers at least.  But a lot depends on how far one wants to stretch the definition of Wacky lookalikes.  Would those Chug cans and goofy TV dinners make the cut as well?  Silly CDs from several years back?  Hard to know where to draw the line.

I was wondering about Silly CDs myself.  But, Brand Busters and Galactic Groceries should make the cut.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
...and Galactic Groceries should make the cut.
You mean Galactic Grocery? lol

Didn't notice Foney Ads mentioned yet...

Offline mikecho

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 04:35:16 PM »
Not just Foney Ads (with Mr. Foney's Funnies), but also Baloney Ads (with Mr. Baloney's Comics).

Offline mikecho

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:18 PM »
And don't forget Pranky Products!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 03:20:01 PM »
And don't forget Pranky Products!

That's in reply #2 from jeffcaff, with a link.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
Funny you should mention Pranky Products! Did you know next month marks the 20th Anniversary of the set?! My, how time flies!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
                                                                              I remember and had a set
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
Funny you should mention Pranky Products! Did you know next month marks the 20th Anniversary of the set?! My, how time flies!

Any chance there are some sets left for sale in your vault? I'd like one, if so. - Pete

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 06:01:57 AM »

I don't remember the holiday versions.  Were they released separately?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 06:15:43 AM »
I don't remember the holiday versions.  Were they released separately?

Yep, each of these were released in limited editions for the 2001 holidays (I believe each was 50 cards). There's also a New Years card, but I'll need to do a search for it sometime.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2021, 07:08:06 AM »
Here's a few more Wacky-esque parodies, if they weren't mentioned earlier. Some are not necessarily trading cards though.

Fearsome Weirdos
Clean Up on Aisle 13
Joe G's Paro-Tees
Mark Parisi's Off The Market
Phil Postma's horror spoofs
Neil's annual camera spoofs

Then there were these 16 different Star Wars cereal box parodies handed out at a Star Wars Celebration. I went to that convention, and was able to acquire some of them. They were handed out when you went to panels.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:21:14 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
Yep, each of these were released in limited editions for the 2001 holidays (I believe each was 50 cards). There's also a New Years card, but I'll need to do a search for it sometime.

Ah, that was before I found Greg's forum in 2004.  Pretty sure I bought my keeper Pranky Products set on ebay.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »

I still have my set I bought 20 years ago, but, as others have mentioned, I don't recall any of the holiday ones. 

Online DrDeal

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 03:15:28 AM »
How about the PETA set? Those looked like wackies for sure!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 05:16:19 AM »
Since the PETA gags were designed by Jay, and painted by Norm's daughter, I think they get an automatic inclusion on the Wacky-ish list! The only problem is trying to FIND any!!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 12:24:40 PM »
Since the PETA gags were designed by Jay, and painted by Norm's daughter, I think they get an automatic inclusion on the Wacky-ish list! The only problem is trying to FIND any!!!

I know I have a set of those, will add them to the list of things I am looking for.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »
This set was mentioned earlier, and when I came across this today I figured I would share it here.  I have looked through all the different editions of the Benjamin Guide that I have, under F and M, and can't find these.  From what I found online, they are either Fleer or Leaf, from either 1960 or 1962, called Foney Ads or Mr. Foney's Funnies.  I hate it when the guides let me down.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:43:25 PM by RawGoo »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »
I have looked through all the different editions of the Benjamin Guide that I have, under F and M, and can't find these.  From what I found online, they are either Fleer or Leaf, from either 1960 or 1962, called Foney Ads or Mr. Foney's Funnies.  I hate it when the guides let me down.
They are on page 283 of the Benjamin Guide, the version which covers 1930-1960, as they came out in 1960. They are Leaf.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2021, 04:46:56 PM »
They are on page 283 of the Benjamin Guide, the version which covers 1930-1960, as they came out in 1960. They are Leaf.
That's right, and the card series was called Foney Ads, while the jokes on the card backs were called Mr. Foney's Funnies.

In the same year (1960) and possibly around the same time, a Canadian company named Goodies Products released a similar (but not identical) parody card series called Baloney Ads (with, again, similar (but not identical) jokes on its card backs called Mr. Baloney's Comics).

Foney Ads had 72 base cards and Baloney Ads had 52 base cards. Both sets of parodies were different from each other. There were no chase cards (promo, bonus, foil, etc.) in either series.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:55:45 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »

Thanks!  I guess my Guides don't go back that far.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
Thanks for posting those Foney Ads card pics, Pat! Great quality too. Nice to see the inspiration for Ratz.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2021, 08:26:47 AM »
Thanks for posting those Foney Ads card pics, Pat! Great quality too. Nice to see the inspiration for Ratz.

...and Belch's, and Blisterine, and Mr. Mean, and Poopsie Cola...!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
If you want to talk about a set that's hard to collect with nice even borders, Foney Ads is it!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »
If you want to talk about a set that's hard to collect with nice even borders, Foney Ads is it!

Agreed!  My set is in pretty nice shape, but some of the borders are all over the place!  The front can be centered while the back looks mis-cut, and vice versa.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2021, 10:39:37 AM »
I wonder how Baloney Ads fares by comparison?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:37:47 PM by mikecho »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »
Agreed!  My set is in pretty nice shape, but some of the borders are all over the place!  The front can be centered while the back looks mis-cut, and vice versa.

I always felt fortunate to find a Foney Ad card in really nice shape with at least a little white boarder on all 4 sides on the front. I don't think they took particular care  with aligning the backs when they were printed on the sheets.