Author Topic: Original 1st series TIED tanback  (Read 6548 times)

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
Original 1st series TIED tanback
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
Is there anyway to tell a Wonderbread TIED from a true 1st series tanback?

Offline bigtomi

Re: Original 1st series TIED tanback
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
Is there anyway to tell a Wonderbread TIED from a true 1st series tanback?
The copyright is spelled out (Topps Chewing Gum) on a Wonderbread vs. initials (T.C.G.) on a 1st tan back.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
The copyright is spelled out (Topps Chewing Gum) on a Wonderbread vs. initials (T.C.G.) on a 1st tan back.
Not true for Tied.
That was the case with the 1st Wonderbreads, but Tied is a 2nd series Wonderbread where the copyright is identical. I don't recall any info on how to distinguish that one through die cut, but that seems like it'd be the way to go.

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
Not true for Tied.
That was the case with the 1st Wonderbreads, but Tied is a 2nd series Wonderbread where the copyright is identical. I don't recall any info on how to distinguish that one through die cut, but that seems like it'd be the way to go.

Yeah, I know the GADZOOKA stickers have different die cuts but I can't seem to find anything about the TIED.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
Not true for Tied.

....and I believe Tied and Gadzooka are the other two in the same situation.  Here is the WB version............
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

........and here is the series 1.  You can see the top die-cut line on the WB does not run parallel with the top of the box like the S1 does.

Offline Moron Salt

• (Don)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
Thanks Rob

I'm guessing this one to be an authentic 1st TB, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400153253319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »
....and I believe Tied and Gadzooka are the other two in the same situation.  Here is the WB version............
Has this been proven to be absolutely true and does PSA have documentation as such so they know if they are truely grading a tanback versus wonderbread?  I am going to vote no on both accounts.  I have a stack of Tied Wondbreads that have diecuts that are all over the place including matching pretty much both the patterns Rob shows here.  If I am reminded to bring my wonderbreads to the next show, we can dissect them and see if we can come up with something solid.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Tie Boot Tea

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »
I got my Tied wonderbread from a package of wonderbread when I was a kid.  Its got TCG on it.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
I got my Tied wonderbread from a package of wonderbread when I was a kid.  Its got TCG on it.
That would be the series 2/3 Wonderbread version. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Thanks Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400153253319&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Note the presence of the faint blue line around the diecuts on the one on eBay and on the one that Rob is claiming to be a legitimate 1st tan.  I don't remember if anything was decided conclusively about the blue lines?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »
Thanks Rob

That looks like a typical series 1 die-cut pattern so you should be fine with that one.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
Has this been proven to be absolutely true and does PSA have documentation as such so they know if they are truely grading a tanback versus wonderbread?  I am going to vote no on both accounts.  I have a stack of Tied Wondbreads that have diecuts that are all over the place including matching pretty much both the patterns Rob shows here.  If I am reminded to bring my wonderbreads to the next show, we can dissect them and see if we can come up with something solid.

I do know that all 2nd & 3rd series WB's had 1 asterisk except Tied, Gadzooka and Lavirus, so other than a potential die-cut pattern difference they would look just like series 1's.

I would be very surprised if PSA could tell a series 1 from a WB with these 3 titles, but I pay no attention to PSA so I'm not the right one to ask.  I do my own grading!  It's cheaper that way.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
Not true for Tied.
Oops! That'll learn me to open my yap before I double check...color me red.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »
I do know that all 2nd & 3rd series WB's had 1 asterisk except Tied, Gadzooka and Lavirus, so other than a potential die-cut pattern difference they would look just like series 1's.

I would be very surprised if PSA could tell a series 1 from a WB with these 3 titles, but I pay no attention to PSA so I'm not the right one to ask.  I do my own grading!  It's cheaper that way.

I am asking if there is proof there is a diecut difference?  I see no evidence of this as I have a pile of Tied Wonderbread titles and the diecuts are all over the place including a couple that match my series 1 whiteback Tied.  Both the whitebacks and wonderbreads have a blue hue.  I think it silly to spend $20 for a tanback Tied since there is nothing that proves it to be such a card. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
I am asking if there is proof there is a diecut difference?  I see no evidence of this as I have a pile of Tied Wonderbread titles and the diecuts are all over the place including a couple that match my series 1 whiteback Tied.  Both the whitebacks and wonderbreads have a blue hue.  I think it silly to spend $20 for a tanback Tied since there is nothing that proves it to be such a card. 

I believe the legit series 1's have a consistent die-cut pattern, maybe not 100% but pretty close.  If you say you have WB Tieds with a variety if die-cuts I believe you.  Nothing with die-cut patterns is an exact science because even the dies themselves can get bent slightly causing variances.  I just believe that if you see a Tied with a typical series 1 die-cut pattern it's most likely a legit series 1.  Maybe the fact that Tied can possibly be a WB is enough for it to have a lower value.  That makes sense to me.   

Offline bandaches

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
I believe the legit series 1's have a consistent die-cut pattern, maybe not 100% but pretty close.  If you say you have WB Tieds with a variety if die-cuts I believe you.  Nothing with die-cut patterns is an exact science because even the dies themselves can get bent slightly causing variances.  I just believe that if you see a Tied with a typical series 1 die-cut pattern it's most likely a legit series 1.  Maybe the fact that Tied can possibly be a WB is enough for it to have a lower value.  That makes sense to me.   
I agree that series 1's have a pattern but a tanback Tied that matches that pattern doesn't prove it is legit.  Like I said, I have Wonderbread Tieds that match the series 1 pattern and some that don't.  I think it is unwise to pay any sort of premium for Tied and Gadzooka Tanbacks.  This also proves that PSA has no clue and just trusts what they sender says.  How about I send some cards I know are wonderbreads to PSA and see if I can get them to slab them as tanbacks?  I am certain they will slab them.  They have no wacky pack experts on staff.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »
I agree that series 1's have a pattern but a tanback Tied that matches that pattern doesn't prove it is legit.  Like I said, I have Wonderbread Tieds that match the series 1 pattern and some that don't.  I think it is unwise to pay any sort of premium for Tied and Gadzooka Tanbacks.  This also proves that PSA has no clue and just trusts what they sender says.  How about I send some cards I know are wonderbreads to PSA and see if I can get them to slab them as tanbacks?  I am certain they will slab them.  They have no wacky pack experts on staff.

Go for it.  I would be curious how they come back.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »

Better yet, you should send in a Wonder Bread Lavirus (with the obvious diecut difference) and see if they will slab it as a 1st tan.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

anything