Author Topic: OS vs. ANS - top dogs face off...  (Read 2900 times)

Offline ToadallyDude

OS vs. ANS - top dogs face off...
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:29 PM »
Now that ANS has been around much longer than the Original Series Wackys, and has a whole new set of fans, and cross-over fans... I'm wondering if anyone's ever considered reinacting the FAVORITE Wacky poll that took place back in, oh, 1999 or so (which resulted in a cool "uncut sheet" of the top dogs in ranking order)... but this time do one for ANS as well... and then take the top-3 or top-10, and BATTLE them against each other in a poll.  It would be interesting to see how the chips would fall, and if any of the ANS would heavily infiltrate the strong list of well-known OS faves.  As someone who didn't really cross-over much, and often doesn't give the ANS the respect it's due (there's some cool titles in there)... I wouldn't have a clue what the sentiment is between the 2 subsets of the Wacky universe.  Sounds interesting, though.

Offline Alexeirex

Re: OS vs. ANS - top dogs face off...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:56:46 PM »
Now that ANS has been around much longer than the Original Series Wackys, and has a whole new set of fans, and cross-over fans... I'm wondering if anyone's ever considered reinacting the FAVORITE Wacky poll that took place back in, oh, 1999 or so (which resulted in a cool "uncut sheet" of the top dogs in ranking order)... but this time do one for ANS as well... and then take the top-3 or top-10, and BATTLE them against each other in a poll.  It would be interesting to see how the chips would fall, and if any of the ANS would heavily infiltrate the strong list of well-known OS faves.  As someone who didn't really cross-over much, and often doesn't give the ANS the respect it's due (there's some cool titles in there)... I wouldn't have a clue what the sentiment is between the 2 subsets of the Wacky universe.  Sounds interesting, though.

Would you throw in the OS series and the postcard series into the mix as well?
Alex

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 08:53:41 AM »
Would you throw in the OS series and the postcard series into the mix as well?
Alex
Alex, I think you mean OLDS, am I right? OS stands for Original Series.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 09:04:07 AM »
A fun exercise, for sure, but it's not quite a fair playing field, you're pitting people's childhood nostalgia against modern titles.

I've long wanted to do a poll around bonus stickers and oddball stuff - there's been so much extra-set stuff and it's almost all very high quality. I once asked about it and was told that those were specifically made with adult collectors in mind, so they're a bit more sophisticated than the base titles.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 12:13:02 PM »
Alex, I think you mean OLDS, am I right? OS stands for Original Series.

Oops, yes!!! OLDS!
A

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
To me, I can't really say I have a favorite from anything produced after 1977.  The new stickers just look too pristine.  I like the old OS with their nostalgic look.  Much like I prefer Fenway or Wrigley over the fancy new stadiums they build today.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 02:06:21 PM »
There are some good titles in the new stuff; but nothing that comes close to saunders era gold.

Offline fishbulb

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 02:36:28 PM »
To me, I can't really say I have a favorite from anything produced after 1977.  The new stickers just look too pristine.  I like the old OS with their nostalgic look.  Much like I prefer Fenway or Wrigley over the fancy new stadiums they build today.

I get it... (slightly off topic) but after visiting both Fenway and Wrigley (the latter... kind of a *cramped dump. *awaiting hellfire to rain down any minute  >( ) I do prefer some newer ballparks after the 60's to 80's turf, multi purpose cookie cutters like Three rivers, Cincy, Cardinals (old Busch) or Fulton County to name a few. Coors Field, Petco, new Busch, and the crown jewel that is Oracle Park in SF are all fantastic.

That being said, I was a bit too young to "fully" appreciate the 70's series but 'discovered' them in the 79 - 80 reprints (when my world was changed). Ebay has been my friend in acquiring quite a few of the OG titles but there are a handful of newer titles that for some reason bring the nostalgia back for me anyway... Along with the thrill of the chase..

85: Greaser's Pieces, Ghost soap
2006 ANS3: Yeti Whip, Del Monster, Hopeless Fruit Fly (I was and will always be a fan of Hostess Fruit Pies), Red Veins (foil)
2006 ANS4: Stubble Bubble, Bom (I like anything with a sparking wick - my all time fave is Regal Clown)
2007 ANS5: AI, Haunts Ketchup (I like any 'horror' related wacky)
2007 ANS6: WMD-40, Much & Yuk, Duraflume
2010 ANS7: Maggoty Ann (an all time fave)
2013 ANS11: Benjamin Morgue
2014 ANS12: Brainy

Obviously few and far between as opposed to the 70's series but still a few that scratch that itch. Also quite a few of the new Old School titles.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 03:03:33 PM »
I get it... (slightly off topic) but after visiting both Fenway and Wrigley (the latter... kind of a *cramped dump. *awaiting hellfire to rain down any minute  >( ) I do prefer some newer ballparks after the 60's to 80's turf, multi purpose cookie cutters like Three rivers, Cincy, Cardinals (old Busch) or Fulton County to name a few. Coors Field, Petco, new Busch, and the crown jewel that is Oracle Park in SF are all fantastic.

2006 ANS3: Hopeless Fruit Fly (I was and will always be a fan of Hostess Fruit Pies)

I always thought Old Busch was renovated into what the Cardinals call home today, much like The KC Royals.  Who knew?

Agree Hopeless Fruit Fly is a major standout from ANS3.  Packaging looks the same as the 70’s, but I have no idea if the real product still looked like that around the time the parody was made.  I don’t see fruit pie singles sold any more these days like they used to be.  That calzone-shaped, Sugar-glazed, fruit pie filling goodness.  But I digress.

I think it’s fair to say that nearly every Wacky of a Hostess or Drake’s product has been awesome, from Hostage and Hopeless to Stinkies and HoHoHos and everything in between.  Coffin Cakes (ANS6?) has to be one of my top ten from the ANS run.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

That being said, I was a bit too young to "fully" appreciate the 70's series but 'discovered' them in the 79 - 80 reprints (when my world was changed). Ebay has been my friend in acquiring quite a few of the OG titles but there are a handful of newer titles that for some reason bring the nostalgia back for me anyway... Along with the thrill of the chase..

85: Greaser's Pieces, Ghost soap
2006 ANS3: Yeti Whip, Del Monster, Hopeless Fruit Fly (I was and will always be a fan of Hostess Fruit Pies), Red Veins (foil)
2006 ANS4: Stubble Bubble, Bom (I like anything with a sparking wick - my all time fave is Regal Clown)
2007 ANS5: AI, Haunts Ketchup (I like any 'horror' related wacky)
2007 ANS6: WMD-40, Muck & Yuk, Duraflume
2010 ANS7: Maggoty Ann (an all time fave)
2013 ANS11: Benjamin Morgue
2014 ANS12: Brainy

Obviously few and far between as opposed to the 70's series but still a few that scratch that itch. Also quite a few of the new Old School titles.
Got a question - did you also like Ghostess Fright Pie from the Halloween Postcards?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 10:22:26 AM »
Got another question.

When you say that the ANS run lasted longer than the OS run, are you including the MLB series, 50th Anniversary series, 2018 Go to the Movies series, ANWS and now ANMS as well? i say this because, technically speaking, the ANS run had only 13 series (if you consider that 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 are actually ANS12 and ANS13 (and should've been called by those names as far as I'm concerned)) and the OS run had 16 series (and that's only if you don't count the Die-Cuts and Wacky Ads which, I presume, you're not doing here). I don't know, however, if the 1985 and 1991 series are even included in this figure, or even if they should be.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:42:41 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »
A fun exercise, for sure, but it's not quite a fair playing field, you're pitting people's childhood nostalgia against modern titles.

I've long wanted to do a poll around bonus stickers and oddball stuff - there's been so much extra-set stuff and it's almost all very high quality. I once asked about it and was told that those were specifically made with adult collectors in mind, so they're a bit more sophisticated than the base titles.
Mitch, if you want to see lists of numbers of bonus stickers, foil stickers and subset stickers, go to p. 6 of General Wacky Packages Discussion and you'll see two back-to-back threads I made on those subjects. Maybe that'll help you out.

Oh, and thanks for answering a question I once asked about the bonus stickers - mainly, that their humor was mostly geared toward adults instead of kids. I don't think, however, that that goes for the foil and subset stickers, since they were in the regular store packs and thus were more readily available to kids.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 12:29:47 PM »
Got another question.

When you say that the ANS run lasted longer than the OS run, are you including the MLB series, 50th Anniversary series, 2018 Go to the Movies series, ANWS and now ANMS as well? i say this because, technically speaking, the ANS run had only 13 series (if you consider that 2014 S1 and 2015 S1 are actually ANS12 and ANS13 (and should've been called by those names as far as I'm concerned)) and the OS run had 16 series (and that's only if you don't count the Die-Cuts and Wacky Ads which, I presume, you're not doing here). I don't know, however, if the 1985 and 1991 series are even included in this figure, or even if they should be.

The original series wackys that were popular and that most of us remember from our childhoods were produced over the course of three years. However you define ANS, it was way longer than that. “Lasted longer” is a reference to time, not number of series.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
Oh. Well then, that's different. I never even considered length of time as being a factor here. Thanks for telling me this.

Offline fishbulb

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 04:04:10 PM »
Got a question - did you also like Ghostess Fright Pie from the Halloween Postcards?
100%! LOVE Ghostess!

anything