Author Topic: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages  (Read 118665 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages
« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
Received my cards, and it was one of the best collations I've gotten all year, which was a huge relief.
Although I was shorted one card again, this time a playing card.
The coupons were all in the expected 5-step staggered arrangement, which was great. No random mixes this time, thankfully.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:42:13 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #526 on: August 27, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
Received my cards, and it was one of the best correlations I've gotten all year, which was a huge relief.
Although I was shorted one card again, this time a playing card.
The coupons were all in the expected 5-step staggered arrangement, which was great. No random mixes this time, thankfully.

Same here.  :D  Except for the collation.  :sad:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #527 on: August 27, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »
I was placing my August 2021 cards in binder pages and realized we now have two different 3 of clubs playing cards.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: August 27, 2021, 10:55:21 PM »
I was placing my August 2021 cards in binder pages and realized we now have two different 3 of clubs playing cards.

Holy shitake mushrooms, Batman!  I wonder if one of these was supposed to be Spades?  Playing with a 53 card deck will be Wacky!!

I was a little disappointed to see Dums as the 2 of Hearts; had hoped that title (along with Ajerx) would be used for a Joker.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 11:27:27 PM by RawGoo »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #529 on: August 27, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »

Hey... what did I miss?  Did they come out with a deck of Wacky Pack playing cards?  These look awesome.  I snoozed, but hopefully I didn't lose.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #530 on: August 27, 2021, 11:40:43 PM »
Hey... what did I miss?  Did they come out with a deck of Wacky Pack playing cards?  These look awesome.  I snoozed, but hopefully I didn't lose.

Each Monthly set this year has included 2 of 4 different playing cards.  With August, we should have been up to 32 out of 52 playing cards, but Scot noticed that May already included a 3 of Clubs (Battleball), so this month's Beastball 3 of Clubs is a monkey wrench in the works.

I am looking forward to playing with a set when it is completed.  This was a great idea!  I just wish they had rounded the corners a bit; we know they can, since they did it with Stella Dorko.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #531 on: August 27, 2021, 11:51:10 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Definitely sounds like I did either lose out... or will be shelling out later on for a deck.
Not a bad idea overall, though.  Has Topps ever considered printing such a thing on actual, plastic-coated, poker-quality cards for release as a real deck?  I'd play poker with that (although it might make it a lot harder to keep a poker face as some gags are definitely better than others).

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: August 27, 2021, 11:56:48 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Definitely sounds like I did either lose out... or will be shelling out later on for a deck.
Not a bad idea overall, though.  Has Topps ever considered printing such a thing on actual, plastic-coated, poker-quality cards for release as a real deck?  I'd play poker with that (although it might make it a lot harder to keep a poker face as some gags are definitely better than others).

A plastic coated deck would be awesome, but it might upset people who have been amassing trading card versions.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #533 on: August 28, 2021, 04:47:18 AM »
I love the playing cards. I just wish they were more plentiful because they are too expensive to play with.

If they issued a set with a red back instead of blue to distinguish them from the regular monthly cards as a regular card deck, I would buy it to use. 

Offline mikecho

« Reply #534 on: August 28, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »
I love the playing cards. I just wish they were more plentiful because they are too expensive to play with.

If they issued a set with a red back instead of blue to distinguish them from the regular monthly cards as a regular card deck, I would buy it to use.
That's a great idea! And Topps should put it in a box just like actual playing cards and sell them as an actual product. I'll bet that'll sell like hotcakes!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #535 on: August 28, 2021, 08:19:38 PM »
Each Monthly set this year has included 2 of 4 different playing cards.  With August, we should have been up to 32 out of 52 playing cards, but Scot noticed that May already included a 3 of Clubs (Battleball), so this month's Beastball 3 of Clubs is a monkey wrench in the works.

I am looking forward to playing with a set when it is completed.  This was a great idea!  I just wish they had rounded the corners a bit; we know they can, since they did it with Stella Dorko.
My Stella D'orko when I got it back in the day had normal pointed corners. Can you show me this? They must've done this later in the run.

Offline quas

« Reply #536 on: August 28, 2021, 08:43:26 PM »
I just checked mine.  Never noticed the ever so slightly rounded corners before.  Maybe it was a bad handling thing?
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: August 28, 2021, 11:49:02 PM »
My Stella D'orko when I got it back in the day had normal pointed corners. Can you show me this? They must've done this later in the run.

"Later in the run?"  It never seemed to me like there were waves.  And, I don't recall ever seeing one with sharp corners. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »
A plastic coated deck would be awesome, but it might upset people who have been amassing trading card versions.

I see what you're saying here, Pat, but I truly wonder if people would be that upset.  Clearly, actual playing cards with their rounded corner, plastic coating, and any other differences (geez, they could have totally different backs) would be so easily distinguishable from the cards that are coming out this year.  I'm super bummed not to have a set of the playing cards from the monthly series, but there was no way I was going to shell out that kind of money to get a full set.  But I'd easily pick up a number of playing card sets if Topps created one.  Fingers crossed as it seems like it would be a win-win to both the company and collectors.  But I do hear you that there would be at least some resistance from those (and justifiably so) who have amassed the set so far.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2021, 08:37:27 PM »
I see what you're saying here, Pat, but I truly wonder if people would be that upset.  Clearly, actual playing cards with their rounded corner, plastic coating, and any other differences (geez, they could have totally different backs) would be so easily distinguishable from the cards that are coming out this year.  I'm super bummed not to have a set of the playing cards from the monthly series, but there was no way I was going to shell out that kind of money to get a full set.  But I'd easily pick up a number of playing card sets if Topps created one.  Fingers crossed as it seems like it would be a win-win to both the company and collectors.  But I do hear you that there would be at least some resistance from those (and justifiably so) who have amassed the set so far.

I think rounded corners, plastic coating, and maybe a different color back should be enough to quiet dissenters.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »
I think rounded corners, plastic coating, and maybe a different color back should be enough to quiet dissenters.

I would buy a set of cards that would be playable and lost lasting like you've described - the current cards are for collecting only.
A

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
Ummm, did this happen to anyone else?  I just got my "August" sets today after they spent 6 days in Ellenwood, GA, the black hole of Fedex shipping, where packages stay there for days and days before they move.  I opened the multiple sets I bought.  All the extra chase cards--Wonkys, playing cards, and coupons--were August, but ALL the base sets were JANUARY 2021!!!!  NOT ONE AUGUST BASE SET!  I guess I'll have to go through Topps' icky customer service to try to get some AUGUST base sets.  Wish me luck!  How does that happen?

• Administrator
« Reply #542 on: September 04, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »
Ummm, did this happen to anyone else?  I just got my "August" sets today after they spent 6 days in Ellenwood, GA, the black hole of Fedex shipping, where packages stay there for days and days before they move.  I opened the multiple sets I bought.  All the extra chase cards--Wonkys, playing cards, and coupons--were August, but ALL the base sets were JANUARY 2021!!!!  NOT ONE AUGUST BASE SET!  I guess I'll have to go through Topps' icky customer service to try to get some AUGUST base sets.  Wish me luck!  How does that happen?
yep, Ellenwood is one of the black holes of the fedex shipping hubs.
really insane that you'd receive January base cards. how in the world?

• Administrator
« Reply #543 on: September 04, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »
They always had rounded corners. Yours is the same.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #544 on: September 05, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
I received my August box from Topps today, yay!

Open the first pack - that's odd, the base set is from January while the extras are from August.

Open the rest - they're all like that. Argh!

What's the best way to contact Topps to resolve this issue?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #545 on: September 05, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »

Open the first pack - that's odd, the base set is from January while the extras are from August.

What's the best way to contact Topps to resolve this issue?

First of all, a Topps delivery on a Sunday?  Don't think that has ever happened to me.

Second, so far one other forum member has reported the same issue with August sets (bludevilok, a few posts above).  Yikes, and HOW could they manage that!!!!!  How many sets did you order?  I would try calling first, and if that doesn't work, emailing.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #546 on: September 05, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »
Do you think they'll ever release this playing-card themed set as a base set at some point, or did one have to be collecting them all along to end up with a set at the end?

I do hope they'll make an actual deck of cards at some point, though.  There's a lot of online companies where anyone can make their own custom cards, so it can't be that expensive to make by just uploading the scans to one of those places.  I would think in mass they could do it for 20 or 25 bucks a deck and still turn a profit.  But I would think collectors would pay a little more than that for the priviledge of playing poker with Wackys.  I remember now that some time after that stellar 1999 Wacky Reunion at Jeff's, we talked about having a high-stakes poker game where each of us put up an equally weak piece of art, like Bum&Mable, 6Urp, Nertz, Blecch, Cricket, Similecch, RotsaRoot, etc.  (I made sure to include 3 I used to own so as not to be insulting).  That would have been fun and nerve-wracking to play, though.  Entry fee, original art.  Winner take all.  No-limit Texas Hold'em.  But there was other talk about playing a regular game where we use puzzle pieces and common stickers as chips.  Shoe would have had a massive advantage in that one with all his minty puzzles. 

Did anyone ever play an actual poker for Wackys game since then?

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #547 on: September 05, 2021, 11:39:40 PM »

Lavirus, you and I are in the same boat.  While I can definitely empathize with you, I have to say I'm a little happy to find out that I'm not going insane.  I would definitely like to know why Topps had January 2021 base sets lying around while they're assembling August 2021 sets to go out.  The scenario sounds so crazy that I wasn't sure if Topps would even believe me if I contacted them.  However, the SAME complaint coming from at least TWO different customers should lend some credibility to the--dare I say it?--WACKY story.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #548 on: September 06, 2021, 08:54:36 AM »
First of all, a Topps delivery on a Sunday?  Don't think that has ever happened to me.

Second, so far one other forum member has reported the same issue with August sets (bludevilok, a few posts above).  Yikes, and HOW could they manage that!!!!!  How many sets did you order?  I would try calling first, and if that doesn't work, emailing.

I think deliveries are all messed up due to the flooding in the northeast.

I'll give them a call tomorrow using the 800 number on their email confirmation. Hopefully I can get some resolution.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #549 on: September 06, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
Lavirus, you and I are in the same boat.  While I can definitely empathize with you, I have to say I'm a little happy to find out that I'm not going insane.  I would definitely like to know why Topps had January 2021 base sets lying around while they're assembling August 2021 sets to go out.  The scenario sounds so crazy that I wasn't sure if Topps would even believe me if I contacted them.  However, the SAME complaint coming from at least TWO different customers should lend some credibility to the--dare I say it?--WACKY story.

Who knows who's packing these things. High teenagers making minimum wage? "Just chuck some random cards in there, they'll never notice".

• Administrator
« Reply #550 on: September 06, 2021, 09:05:03 AM »
I would definitely like to know why Topps had January 2021 base sets lying around while they're assembling August 2021 sets to go out. 
I would guess it's all digital printing, with someone simply picking files on an app to load and send to the printing room.
Still, mixing up 1/21 with 8/21 is bizarre.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #551 on: September 06, 2021, 12:14:58 PM »
Do you think they'll ever release this playing-card themed set as a base set at some point, or did one have to be collecting them all along to end up with a set at the end?

I do hope they'll make an actual deck of cards at some point, though.  There's a lot of online companies where anyone can make their own custom cards, so it can't be that expensive to make by just uploading the scans to one of those places.  I would think in mass they could do it for 20 or 25 bucks a deck and still turn a profit.  But I would think collectors would pay a little more than that for the priviledge of playing poker with Wackys.  I remember now that some time after that stellar 1999 Wacky Reunion at Jeff's, we talked about having a high-stakes poker game where each of us put up an equally weak piece of art, like Bum&Mable, 6Urp, Nertz, Blecch, Cricket, Similecch, RotsaRoot, etc.  (I made sure to include 3 I used to own so as not to be insulting).  That would have been fun and nerve-wracking to play, though.  Entry fee, original art.  Winner take all.  No-limit Texas Hold'em.  But there was other talk about playing a regular game where we use puzzle pieces and common stickers as chips.  Shoe would have had a massive advantage in that one with all his minty puzzles. 

Did anyone ever play an actual poker for Wackys game since then?

I think it's safe to say that many of us would love to see an actual Wacky playing card set.  Perhaps someone with a connection to Topps here could pass along that idea.

I'm not aware of any Wacky poker game, Scott, but I'd be happy to watch (and scared to play, especially since I don't really know how to play poker).

Offline Prez

« Reply #552 on: September 06, 2021, 01:37:13 PM »
With much trepidation, based on the accounts from bludevilok and Lavirus, I just opened my August shipment and am relieved to report that I received the correct base set.
So strange that such an error as they experienced would only occur in a limited number of shipments!

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »
I hope the latest september wackys come soon.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: September 07, 2021, 03:18:24 PM »
I hope the latest september wackys come soon.

I'm just hoping (primarily) that I get September sets, and (secondarily) with decent collation!  If going fast means that Topps will be sending wrong sets, I'd rather wait so they can get it right.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #555 on: September 07, 2021, 05:26:11 PM »
I think it's safe to say that many of us would love to see an actual Wacky playing card set.  Perhaps someone with a connection to Topps here could pass along that idea.

Definitely on the radar!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #556 on: September 08, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »
We hope to see pre-orders for the September 2021 set on line this week - maybe some back to school related Wackys, hope October 2021 has almost all Halloween related Wackys and November 2021 has a few Thanksgiving related Wackys and December 2021 has all Christmas related Wackys.

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: September 08, 2021, 08:10:10 AM »
September set is up.

Chance of sketch cards again

Plus, a. Nine of Clubs in every pack!

https://www.topps.com/2021-topps-wacky-packages-monthly-series-september.html

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:23:28 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

• Administrator
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »
Five Playing Cards are listed for the month?

Is that right? That totally corrupts what’s been going on so far this year.

Playing Cards:

8 of Spades
King of Hearts
10 of Diamonds
2 of Clubs
3 of Spades

Offline paulygsparodies

« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
As I predicted, but where's the checklist?

anything