Author Topic: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages  (Read 118683 times)

Offline drono

Re: 2021 All-New Wacky Packages
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2021, 08:20:57 AM »
We can no longer do gags mocking excessive weight (which was another easy kill for years), nor can we do anything related to bullying (something central to growing up as a child).

Ah, the good old days before political correctness.  It brings to mind the Armour Hot Dog Commercial:
Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs, what kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks,
tough kids, sissy kids even kids with chicken pox love hot dogs,
Armour hot dogs, the dogs kids love to bite

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
The recent posts raise valid points, but the solutions aren't easy. I absolutely agree that the reality is Wackys are no longer being sold to kids, and only are seen by adults, BUT "the powers that be" won't accept that reality and still WANT Wackys drawn as if geared towards that 6 to 12 year old demographic. Anyone who has kids (or remembers being one) knows that kids think bodily functions are hilarious. As we grow up (perish the thought!), we realize there is more to comedy than that One-Trick-Pony, but it is still a reliable workhorse. You may be seeing more of them because so many other options have been restricted. We can no longer do gags mocking excessive weight (which was another easy kill for years), nor can we do anything related to bullying (something central to growing up as a child). Many of the "high brow" gags also get turned down specifically because they are aimed "over the heads" of the target audience. There are also the threats of suit from specific manufacturers that take particular products out of play. With all of those restrictions, potty humor is a safe harbor in an otherwise treacherous environment. If Topps ever decides to accept the fact that Wackys aren't drawn for kids anymore, then you can expect a change of focus, but until then, we have to work with the few crayons left in the box!

They seem to accept the premise of an adult audience with the Postcards and Old School; if they will keep doing that, it makes the occasional bodily function humor title more tolerable in the monthly sets.  But, it would be nice to see some alcohol and tobacco parodies in the monthly sets, too!

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
Yes, More alcohol and Tobacco please. Those were always my favorites.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
They seem to accept the premise of an adult audience with the Postcards and Old School; if they will keep doing that, it makes the occasional bodily function humor title more tolerable in the monthly sets.  But, it would be nice to see some alcohol and tobacco parodies in the monthly sets, too!

You are preaching to the choir on that one! I have begged to be allowed to do booze & smokes gags, and have been firmly told the only remaining venue for those is Old School. Even there, they only get to make cameo appearances, as legal is especially cautious with them. I must have a couple of dozen gags gathering dust, and the last one I submitted was shot down. I can't think of any realistic way to increase the frequency of their acceptance. I'm happy to listen to suggestions though...

Offline drono

« Reply #424 on: June 24, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »
You are preaching to the choir on that one! I have begged to be allowed to do booze & smokes gags, and have been firmly told the only remaining venue for those is Old School. Even there, they only get to make cameo appearances, as legal is especially cautious with them. I must have a couple of dozen gags gathering dust, and the last one I submitted was shot down. I can't think of any realistic way to increase the frequency of their acceptance. I'm happy to listen to suggestions though...

Send them to Jon Gregory.  We're waiting for a Brand Busters 2, and he doesn't have to answer to administrative types.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #425 on: June 25, 2021, 05:34:36 AM »
Send them to Jon Gregory.  We're waiting for a Brand Busters 2, and he doesn't have to answer to administrative types.

Jon is an excellent artist! ALL of his work is high quality (you should check out his dog portraits!). I spoke with him frequently around the time he was putting out his Brand Busters, and he did it all as a One Man Show. A true labor of love. He is brimming with ideas, and got nowhere near exhausting them with his first series. It is understandable that for something that requires so much effort, he would want to paint his own ideas, rather than anyone else's. The same as we've seen with Galactic Groceries, or Pranky Products, or Cereal Killers, just to name a few. That venue is not an option. Any other suggestions?

Offline drono

« Reply #426 on: June 25, 2021, 08:00:52 AM »
He is brimming with ideas, and got nowhere near exhausting them with his first series. It is understandable that for something that requires so much effort, he would want to paint his own ideas, rather than anyone else's.

He'll probably be looking for ideas by the time he gets to the 17th series.  ;)

Offline drono

« Reply #427 on: June 25, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
What I've always wanted to see, similar to Wonky Packages, was to produce a set where 5 or more artists were given the same 5-10 products to see the different titles and gags they each came up with.  It's similar to what Mad magazine used to do with "Suppose other artists had painted the Mona Lisa."  We can kind of do that with the repeated titles by different artists over the years, but they've never been put together in one set. 

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #428 on: June 25, 2021, 09:13:51 AM »
The recent posts raise valid points, but the solutions aren't easy. I absolutely agree that the reality is Wackys are no longer being sold to kids, and only are seen by adults, BUT "the powers that be" won't accept that reality and still WANT Wackys drawn as if geared towards that 6 to 12 year old demographic. Anyone who has kids (or remembers being one) knows that kids think bodily functions are hilarious.... With all of those restrictions, potty humor is a safe harbor in an otherwise treacherous environment. If Topps ever decides to accept the fact that Wackys aren't drawn for kids anymore, then you can expect a change of focus, but until then, we have to work with the few crayons left in the box!

Thanks for confirming that Topps had no intention of honoring what slamjim posted in 2020.  It seems they were just trying to keep sales going for those of us who were on the fence due to the nature of some of the gags and artwork.  Doesn't surprise me really, but it does surprise me that slamjim said those things when it was never going to be held true. He always seems the honest type in spite of working for Topps.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #429 on: June 25, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »
What I've always wanted to see, similar to Wonky Packages, was to produce a set where 5 or more artists were given the same 5-10 products to see the different titles and gags they each came up with.  It's similar to what Mad magazine used to do with "Suppose other artists had painted the Mona Lisa."  We can kind of do that with the repeated titles by different artists over the years, but they've never been put together in one set.

I agree! Posting all of the Lucky Charms parodies (for example) side by side would be fun to see. And there are so many that have numerous multiples, it would make a popular topic, I'm sure!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #430 on: June 25, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Thanks for confirming that Topps had no intention of honoring what slamjim posted in 2020.  It seems they were just trying to keep sales going for those of us who were on the fence due to the nature of some of the gags and artwork.  Doesn't surprise me really, but it does surprise me that slamjim said those things when it was never going to be held true. He always seems the honest type in spite of working for Topps.

Hey! Don't put words in my mouth! I am only telling you my impressions as a rough artist who never has contact with the people inside Topps besides Francis. I can only guess and conclude based on my own personal experience. As frequently as the players and policies change inside Topps, it is quite possible that Dave was honest and accurate when he told you what he did, but subsequently someone new took over or a new decision was made. Dave is a great artist, but I'm fairly certain he has no executive authority over at Topps. Especially with all the huge changes happening at Topps right now, it isn't surprising that everything is topsy turvy. If it makes you feel any better, I will avoid bodily function gags in the future. Does that help?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:39:06 AM by roughwriter »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: June 25, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »

Slamjim and the other artists can tell Topps what people on this Forum want, but that doesn't mean that Topps will listen, or guarantee that Topps won't change their minds after telling the artists something.  I am not a Facebook fan, but maybe Topps looks there a lot? 

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #432 on: June 25, 2021, 11:48:19 AM »
Some of us like bodily Function gags. I find farts and boogers funny.....

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #433 on: June 25, 2021, 01:30:01 PM »
I have some Wonkys I'd be willing to trade, if you're interested...

I would be interested.  Please PM me with what you are looking for :)

Tom

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #434 on: June 25, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
The recent posts raise valid points, but the solutions aren't easy. I absolutely agree that the reality is Wackys are no longer being sold to kids, and only are seen by adults, BUT "the powers that be" won't accept that reality and still WANT Wackys drawn as if geared towards that 6 to 12 year old demographic. Anyone who has kids (or remembers being one) knows that kids think bodily functions are hilarious. As we grow up (perish the thought!), we realize there is more to comedy than that One-Trick-Pony, but it is still a reliable workhorse. You may be seeing more of them because so many other options have been restricted. We can no longer do gags mocking excessive weight (which was another easy kill for years), nor can we do anything related to bullying (something central to growing up as a child). Many of the "high brow" gags also get turned down specifically because they are aimed "over the heads" of the target audience. There are also the threats of suit from specific manufacturers that take particular products out of play. With all of those restrictions, potty humor is a safe harbor in an otherwise treacherous environment. If Topps ever decides to accept the fact that Wackys aren't drawn for kids anymore, then you can expect a change of focus, but until then, we have to work with the few crayons left in the box!

Thanks for the explanation!  It's sad that that is the situation, but I'm sure the artists and writers are doing what they can to keep true to the spirit of wackys.  But I noticed those last two stickers in particular in the May set and it had me wondering if I would continue to buy the monthly sets. 

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #435 on: June 28, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
Seriously? It's good to know I've been upgraded to editor from simply a freelancer at Topps! When we did the weekly WP it was just the five of us (myself, Brent, Neil, Smokin and Simko) and we were doing our own gags. After the first few weeks had a few overly potty gags the agreement was to avoid that going forward. I've adhered to that. When they switched to the monthly stuff they added a bunch of other people and Pete has been doing most of the gag submissions with changes any of us deem fit. I have zero oversight concerning what the other people submit, Pete sends in, the editor selects and the lawyers approve. I have control over my own selections and paintings. That's it. I don't see the cards until you see the cards each month. I think you are a bit out of line trying to hang your being upset over this on me. That's crazy. The format changed, the artists line-up changed and the approval process changed. The easy solution is for Pete and Paul and whomever else to not submit these types of gags in the future and for any of the new people to understand that. The editor is not going to be able to submit these types of gags to the lawyers if they are never submitted in the first place.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #436 on: June 28, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
A little over a year ago after complaints about potty humor and gags around bodily functions, you said this wasn't going to be included in the wackys going forward.

Now for two months in a row we have these:

May 2021 - Last sticker "Runs" has a figure sitting on a toilet with apparent diarrhea. Yuck.

April 2021- Last sticker "Snot Jet" has bodily function of a snotty nose dripping.  Yuck.

Were you sincere when you posted in May of 2020 about keeping these out of the stickers or were you just waiting to start sneaking these subjects in again as the last stickers in the set?

Just seeing this post as well. Did I do either of those cards? No? OK, then direct this statement at the people that did then. Man, you are so out of line.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2021, 01:31:53 PM »
Since one of the titles Slaytex mentions was painted by me ("Snot Jet"), it seems a response is warranted here. The bottom line is this: I am not going to apologize if every 1 in 100 wacky packages I paint happens to be snot-related. Honestly, I found the original concept to be clever and whimsical. A vaccuum disguised as a nose is pretty offbeat and I think it's one of Choke Wagon's better concepts. Maybe not everyone cup of tea, but I know I'm not the only one who enjoyed this particular title. Besides, these types of concepts make up an extremely small percentage of the total number and I think without this kind of variety, the new sets would lack some depth. I think we can all agree, nobody wants boring!

Anyway, since when did every set suddenly have to be "all things to all people"? The answer is never! Even if you look back at the original 70's titles which are generally viewed as the yardstick by which everything else is measured, I bet you can find a few in every series that you don't care for...

My point is this: I'm proud of what I've contributed to the new sets and I put my best foot forward to make something fans enjoy. If you want to pass judgement on the new sets based on a very small percentage of titles, i think it's being pretty short-sighted. Why not just try and celebrate the ones you enjoy?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:46:42 PM by koduck »

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #438 on: June 28, 2021, 03:04:33 PM »
Well said Neil! Thank you again for keeping Wackies alive and going strong. Just like 2020….this set will be pretty impressive once it’s complete. Keep em’ coming with the Attackys and Old School! Can’t wait to see what the 2nd have of 2021 will be bringing us!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »
Well said Neil! Thank you again for keeping Wackies alive and going strong. Just like 2020….this set will be pretty impressive once it’s complete. Keep em’ coming with the Attackys and Old School! Can’t wait to see what the 2nd have of 2021 will be bringing us!!

Agreed!  I am enjoying the new sets and looking forward to every new installment.

Offline quas

« Reply #440 on: June 28, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »
I am looking forward to having a complete deck of 52 Wacky playing cards!
Marc

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #441 on: June 28, 2021, 04:37:21 PM »
Just seeing this post as well. Did I do either of those cards? No? OK, then direct this statement at the people that did then. Man, you are so out of line.

Listen, you posted on this forum that Topps was going to "auto-correct" and change direction with regards to the subject matter.  Whether it was your intention or not, you spoke for the company in that regard and my purchasing decisions were based on that.  To me, you are the most prominent face of Topps/Wackys on this website and you carry a lot of weight with how I spend my money with them.  I *only* started buying the monthly sets after you assured me with your post that Topps was responsive to the matter and wouldn't continue with those particular gags.  Sorry, that is the way it is.

Now, I can understand if you have no say in the decisions made by Topps with regards to their editorial decisions...but maybe you should've emphasized that.  Just sayin'.  Not all of us regular users understand the behind the scenes decision making at Topps, but I do hear when you post something here which you did in May 2020 regarding the controversy.

Anyway, I do respect your work and understand your contributions are always of a very high standard and top quality.  Maybe I put too much weight on your post, but I did trust that what you said back then would be what the policy going forward.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:04:30 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #442 on: June 28, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »

I sent a message to Neil asking if we could somehow get 2 more playing cards. Maybe Jokers or a joker and a title card. Would be nice to fill all the slots on the 9 card sheets. 54 would make it perfect.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #443 on: June 28, 2021, 05:39:20 PM »
Listen, you posted on this forum that Topps was going to "auto-correct" and change direction with regards to the subject matter.  Whether it was your intention or not, you spoke for the company in that regard and my purchasing decisions were based on that.  To me, you are the most prominent face of Topps/Wackys on this website and you carry a lot of weight with how I spend my money with them.  I *only* started buying the monthly sets after you assured me with your post that Topps was responsive to the matter and wouldn't continue with those particular gags.  Sorry, that is the way it is.

Now, I can understand if you have no say in the decisions made by Topps with regards to their editorial decisions...but maybe you should've emphasized that.  Just sayin'.  Not all of us regular users understand the behind the scenes decision making at Topps, but I do hear when you post something here which you did in May 2020 regarding the controversy.

Anyway, I do respect your work and understand your contributions are always of a very high standard and top quality.  Maybe I put too much weight on your post, but I did trust that what you said back then would be what the policy going forward.

Yeah, but they did change the direction and did auto-correct. The post is from over year ago (this was the weekly sets not the monthly BTW as I did NOT make a post as you suggest when the monthly sets started this year) and you are complaining about something that happened a year later. So for a year you got everything the way you wanted it, consisting of well over 200 WPs. If Topps suddenly changed something or accepted a gag that you didn't approve of (apparently TWO total out of all these sets) you are going to go after me about that? They don't run the other people's gags by me first. The editor gets them and sends to the lawyer for approval. How the hell am I to know something you didn't like slipped through? Jeez man, you are just way overreacting here with regards to me on this and the situation in total. Not too mention you accused me personally of "sneaking" stuff in. First, why the heck would I (or anyone) feel the need to "sneak" something in to specifically get one over on you? That just sounds weird and paranoid. Second, I didn't even work on those cards or know they existed until the sets came out. You are barking up the wrong tree there. Nothing personal from my end towards you but I just think you are in the wrong here.

Anyway, I'm working on 5 gags for this month and none have bodily fluids and I don't plan on having any in the future. I can't speak for anyone else at this point so I think your best bet is to write each artist and / or gag writer and ask they avoid these then also write the editor and do the same. If something gets through that doesn't meet with your approval in the future I hope you will be respectful to the fact that the sets aren't being specifically written and made for you personally. We won't be able to please everyone with every gag or with every painting or with every sketch, etc and I don't think any of us should have to have a specific sheet telling us in full detail what we can or can't write about other than from the Topps lawyer (and that dude is wrong in most cases as far as I'm concerned!, ha).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:43:54 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »
Since one of the titles Slaytex mentions was painted by me ("Snot Jet"), it seems a response is warranted here. The bottom line is this: I am not going to apologize if every 1 in 100 wacky packages I paint happens to be snot-related. Honestly, I found the original concept to be clever and whimsical. A vaccuum disguised as a nose is pretty offbeat and I think it's one of Coke Wagon's better concepts. Maybe not everyone cup of tea, but I know I'm not the only one who enjoyed this particular title. Besides, these types of concepts make up an extremely small percentage of the total number and I think without this kind of variety, the new sets would lack some depth. I think we can all agree, nobody wants boring!

Anyway, since when did every set suddenly have to be "all things to all people"? The answer is never! Even if you look back at the original 70's titles which are generally viewed as the yardstick by which everything else is measured, I bet you can find a few in every series that you don't care for...

My point is this: I'm proud of what I've contributed to the new sets and I put my best foot forward to make something fans enjoy. If you want to pass judgement on the new sets based on a very small percentage of titles, i think it's being pretty short-sighted. Why not just try and celebrate the ones you enjoy?

Agree!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »
Ha! I just reread my original post, and I noticed that I referred to Mike as "Coke Wagon" instead of "Choke Wagon", which would make him an entirely different kind of Wacky artist! Sorry Mike!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2021, 11:58:52 PM »

Plus Jokers!

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2021, 05:53:11 AM »
Since one of the titles Slaytex mentions was painted by me ("Snot Jet"), it seems a response is warranted here. The bottom line is this: I am not going to apologize if every 1 in 100 wacky packages I paint happens to be snot-related. Honestly, I found the original concept to be clever and whimsical. A vaccuum disguised as a nose is pretty offbeat and I think it's one of Choke Wagon's better concepts. Maybe not everyone cup of tea, but I know I'm not the only one who enjoyed this particular title. Besides, these types of concepts make up an extremely small percentage of the total number and I think without this kind of variety, the new sets would lack some depth. I think we can all agree, nobody wants boring!

I've got to agree with Neil. You can't please all of the people all of the time. There are Wackys I can think of that I'm not a big fan of, but I'd never dream of telling artists to stop drawing them! If the only designs being done were all bodily functions, I might begin to agree, but I see no problem with occasional gags. I'm reminded of that bumper sticker that says "If Its Too Loud, You're Too Old!". We all thought this stuff was funny as kids, so why should it stop? This isn't stuffy fine art for the elite. It is street art for the masses. Even one of our Founding Fathers, Ben Franklin, penned a piece titled Fart Proudly, and if bodily functions are good enough for him, they're good enough for me! I take back my prior agreement to leave farts and snot out of the mix, although I won't focus exclusively on them.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
Ha! I just reread my original post, and I noticed that I referred to Mike as "Coke Wagon" instead of "Choke Wagon", which would make him an entirely different kind of Wacky artist! Sorry Mike!

Try getting that one past Topps.   :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
Try getting that one past Topps.   :]

They'd need to create a whole new line called "Junky Packages"...or maybe "Cracky Packages"?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2021, 05:59:28 AM »
Just received my June package notification.
Of course on a Friday, with a Holiday weekend

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #451 on: July 02, 2021, 07:12:50 AM »
Just received my June package notification.
Of course on a Friday, with a Holiday weekend

Just got mine, too.  I still think "overnight" should be Saturday, not Tuesday.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »
Certainly seems like shipping Friday for arrival on Tuesday before 8pm is not "overnight"...more like 4 day.  :(

« Reply #453 on: July 03, 2021, 02:42:06 AM »
Just got mine, too.  I still think "overnight" should be Saturday, not Tuesday.

I got my shipping notice last night but I don’t pay for overnight so maybe I’ll get mine by Labor Day. LOL.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2021, 12:36:56 PM »
Two months in a row now that the Houston sort facility has received my shipment from the Memphis hub and immediately sends it back.
Guess Memphis is being too efficient for FedEx

anything