Author Topic: Lost Wackys Contact Info?  (Read 8119 times)

Online roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Lost Wackys Contact Info?
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
I was hoping someone on this site could tell me if Lost Wackys are still in production, and if so, who to talk to about them. If that info isn't for general consumption, a PM would be fine. I have some material that seems to fit within the scope of this series. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Lost Wackys Contact Info?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 01:35:24 PM »
I was hoping someone on this site could tell me if Lost Wackys are still in production, and if so, who to talk to about them. If that info isn't for general consumption, a PM would be fine. I have some material that seems to fit within the scope of this series. Any help would be appreciated!
If it is related to wacky packs, I am sure the group here would love to digest the info.  Lost wacky creators were in it for the money, not necessarily the most informed group of collectors ran that shit show.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
Wouldn’t it be fair to say that the two Flashback sets circa 2008-2010 produced working titles of the majority of the known legitimate Lost Wackys for the first time, and nearly everything issued since then (non-Topps “releases”) falls into the profiteering category Ernie is referring to?  That’s my sense of it, but the term ‘lost Wackys’ never seems to die, makes me wonder if I’m missing something.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »
Wouldn’t it be fair to say that the two Flashback sets circa 2008-2010 produced working titles of the majority of the known legitimate Lost Wackys for the first time, and nearly everything issued since then (non-Topps “releases”) falls into the profiteering category Ernie is referring to?  That’s my sense of it, but the term ‘lost Wackys’ never seems to die, makes me wonder if I’m missing something.

The first Lost Wackys set was produced in 2005.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »
The Master Spreadsheet notes which of the 'Lost' Wackys got an official release.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »
If you do look there, only Lost Wackys Series 1 and Series 2 got an "official" release. Series 3 and Series 4 didn't.

You'll find both of them in the Non-Topps section of the Master Spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:16:51 PM by mikecho »

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »
Officially sanctioned??  By what body?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »
Officially sanctioned??  By what body?
The rumor was that Topps sorta gave the go ahead as long as long as it wasn't a profiteering effort.   Sanctioned, that is a huge stretch of imagination.  Of course it was shrouded with nonsense such as pretending some guy from the bronx created the sets and brought them to a philly show which then was sold by the profiteers.  The profiteers had two prices, the lie and the truth and it was funny, one guy bought a set and was told not to tell me how much he paid for the set and all sorts of other crap and the guy just forwarded me everything.   Sets were not supposed to be sold on ebay for runaway prices but of course they were and there were no repercussions for it. I called out this hypocrisy which they of course tried to turn around as me being the bad guy. The profiteers were also duped by Duane who wrecked havoc on the images which they of course didn't notice which is why there are releases of these sets.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
Before anyone gets too excited, I do not have some hidden gem from long ago just recently found in an attic, or anything like that. From the sporadic sightings on Ebay of cards identified as Lost Wackys, there seems to be a number of modern designs included that would not fit Wacky Packages' current guidelines (Ovary Show comes to mind). I was wondering if such a series was still in production, to see if I could submit drawings, but if it isn't a Topps sanctioned run, it is more trouble than it is worth. How do they get away with calling themselves Wackys if they aren't? I thought they were another one of the limited release special sets, like Halloween.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »
Before anyone gets too excited, I do not have some hidden gem from long ago just recently found in an attic, or anything like that. From the sporadic sightings on Ebay of cards identified as Lost Wackys, there seems to be a number of modern designs included that would not fit Wacky Packages' current guidelines (Ovary Show comes to mind). I was wondering if such a series was still in production, to see if I could submit drawings, but if it isn't a Topps sanctioned run, it is more trouble than it is worth. How do they get away with calling themselves Wackys if they aren't? I thought they were another one of the limited release special sets, like Halloween.
Lost wackys had a purpose when they were gathering images.  I was involved in providing images to Paul Arg who tried to drive this. I declined his invite to stay further involved in the process.  One of the many correct decisions I made in my wacky pack collecting career.  Of course the profiteers positioned this as my being jealous of their "tremendous success" except for the fact my decision not to be involved was long before this went anywhere and I would have been ashamed not jealous of being further involved in this profiteering event.   Its original purpose was to produce a collection of images intended for or pulled before production of wacky pack series such as Monsterettes.  When the profiteers got involved, it became a quest to rationalize adding any images they could find including this gag art Ovary shows as more images means larger sets and more money.  It completely lost its path of being a meaningful "fill in the gaps" piece of wacky history.  I am certain you have many examples of things that really aren't lost wackys due to this "lost" definition of its purpose.

Online roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
And while we're on this topic, could you educate me about the pin-up art versions of old Wackys? Are they Topps generated, or someone else's scam?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 06:27:23 AM »
And while we're on this topic, could you educate me about the pin-up art versions of old Wackys? Are they Topps generated, or someone else's scam?
I know very little about the pinup art but I don't know of anything that indicates they are topps generated.  Based on the main sellers I would say more "knock offs" by the same set of profiteers.  Another example of Topps not enforcing its copyright protection so as far as I am concerned, topps has given everyone free right to take wacky images and make profits  Topps could never reasonably state they were unaware of this over a decade of Lost wackys and onwards use of wacky images to make other products for profits hence they are freely allowing it now.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
I know very little about the pinup art but I don't know of anything that indicates they are topps generated.  Based on the main sellers I would say more "knock offs" by the same set of profiteers.  Another example of Topps not enforcing its copyright protection so as far as I am concerned, topps has given everyone free right to take wacky images and make profits  Topps could never reasonably state they were unaware of this over a decade of Lost wackys and onwards use of wacky images to make other products for profits hence they are freely allowing it now.
Not to mention copyright infringement on the pin-up art itself, which has the general look of a renowned artist named Gil Elvgren.  Legal issues aside, how superimposing images of sexy women onto Wacky backgrounds has any appeal at all is baffling to me.  What is the context?  The images have no relevance to the product, parody or gags.  If I drew pictures of fruits and vegetables and taped them over the faces of players on baseball cards, it would make about as much sense as these Wacky ‘variations.’

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »
how superimposing images of sexy women onto Wacky backgrounds has any appeal at all is baffling to me.
Ditto. I get it not.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Not to mention copyright infringement on the pin-up art itself, which has the general look of a renowned artist named Gil Elvgren.  Legal issues aside, how superimposing images of sexy women onto Wacky backgrounds has any appeal at all is baffling to me.  What is the context?  The images have no relevance to the product, parody or gags.  If I drew pictures of fruits and vegetables and taped them over the faces of players on baseball cards, it would make about as much sense as these Wacky ‘variations.’
the profiteers don't care nor have they ever cared, if it will make money, they will produce it, make it sound rare, manipulate it, repeat....

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »

Offline drono

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »
If I drew pictures of fruits and vegetables and taped them over the faces of players on baseball cards, it would make about as much sense as these Wacky ‘variations.’

I don't know, if we're talking about Darryl Strawberry, Chet Lemon, or even Mark Lemongello, it might make sense.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »
If I drew pictures of fruits and vegetables and taped them over the faces of players on baseball cards, it would make about as much sense as these Wacky ‘variations.’
LOL. Although, have you SEEN of those Project 2020 cards from Topps this year, and what some of them have flipped for on eBay? those people are nuts!

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 04:11:43 PM »
Not to mention copyright infringement on the pin-up art itself, which has the general look of a renowned artist named Gil Elvgren. 
Elvgren is just one of many, many pulp artists whose work has been stolen for this 'project' over all the sets.
A little copy/paste with some quick editing in photoshop, and voila, a Variation!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 06:14:53 PM »
What's everyone's view on the Wacky Packages Boxes Series? I don't see anything objectionable about those.

And I've read Greg's pages on the Lost Wackys and Wacky Pack Variations series and I didn't see anything about anyone trying to make money off of them. Quite frankly, I just saw information on three of the four Lost Wackys series (I'm still waiting for Greg to finish the article on Series 4 so I can see what's in it) and the first 12 of the Variations series. No one said anything in any of them about buying the sets or was twisting anyone's arm in order to do so. It was simply articles telling people about them, nothing more.

I can understand rejecting the Wacky Packages X-Packs; that's logical and obvious. But rejecting most, but not all, of these just because some people don't like them...I just don't get it. Please, tell me what's going on here. What you're saying here doesn't jibe with the person I'm helping out with a's and c's just like I'm helping out you guys and gals here. What's with this animosity, how did it start and how long has this been going on? Can't we all just forgive and forget? Put it all behind us?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:04:22 PM by mikecho »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
What's everyone's view on the Wacky Packages Boxes Series? I don't see anything objectionable about those.

And I've read Greg's pages on the Lost Wackys and Wacky Pack Variations series and I didn't see anything about anyone trying to make money off of them. Quite frankly, I just saw information on three of the four Lost Wackys series (I'm still waiting for Greg to finish the article on Series 4 so I can see what's in it) and the first 12 of the Variations series. No one said anything in any of them about buying the sets or was twisting anyone's arm in order to do so. It was simply articles telling people about them, nothing more.

I can understand rejecting the Wacky Packages X-Packs; that's logical and obvious. But rejecting most, but not all, of these just because some people don't like them...I just don't get it. Please, tell me what's going on here. What you're saying here doesn't jibe with the person I'm helping out with a's and c's just like I'm helping out you guys and gals here. What's with this animosity, how did it start and how long has this been going on? Can't we all just forgive and forget? Put it all behind us?
Why are you questioning something you didn't live in the day to day as it evolved?  Who said anything twisting arms to buy?  Nobody here is talking about articles, we are discussing the actual creation and selling of the lost wackys and then it logically morphed into a discussion of the other various sets not sold by topps using wacky packages images and the "wacky" name.  there are a result of direct questions asked by the person who started this thread.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »

you said lost wackys 1 and 2 were sanctioned and you were directly asked who sanctioned those sets and you didn't reply.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »

Sounds like someone drank the Kook-aid.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 08:58:35 PM »
Whoa... weird to hear this history.  I remember the 1st Lost Series having a lot of the known, legit lost titles in it.  But then #2 had some strange ones.  Did anyone ever verify any of the Lost titles?  I remember there were some titles discovered even way back in the early 2000's that were thought of as "lost", but were actually commissions.  I think I remember that punker version of Hawaiian Punks being one.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
you said lost wackys 1 and 2 were sanctioned and you were directly asked who sanctioned those sets and you didn't reply.
Okay, maybe I should've said "an "official" release." I also said that Lost Wackys Series 1 and Series 2 could be found listed in the Non-Topps section of the Master Spreadsheet so that the person who made the OP can look at it and see what they are.

In fact, I just changed the first thing to that right now.

All I'm asking for is answers. Why are some people still upset and holding grudges? Please, fill me in here. I'm all ears. I'd like to know what's going on and what people are fighting about, because I obviously know nothing about it and maybe I can help. Maybe there's a way we can settle these differences after all these years. If you want, just give me the abridged version. I'm sorry if I've hurt anyone's feelings or ruffled any feathers.

And what's Greg Grant's status on this forum? Is he persona non grata for some reason? I say this because I referred him to one of my threads on here and it sounded like he said he wasn't welcome at all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:39:08 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »

No, I just want a simple explanation as to what's going on with this subject that I obviously know nothing about.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:31:48 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 10:46:15 PM »
Whoa... weird to hear this history.  I remember the 1st Lost Series having a lot of the known, legit lost titles in it.  But then #2 had some strange ones.  Did anyone ever verify any of the Lost titles?  I remember there were some titles discovered even way back in the early 2000's that were thought of as "lost", but were actually commissions.  I think I remember that punker version of Hawaiian Punks being one.
To answer one of your questions, IIRC, many of the stickers from Lost Wackys Series 2 were meant for the lost 1992 Series. These were, I think, drawn by Drew Friedman and painted by Patrick Piggot.

If you look up "Lost 1992 series Wackys that have been released and those that haven't been - yet" on pg. 4 of General Wacky Packages discussion, you'll see a link to an article about Drew and his contributions to that series that I found on the web.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:53:28 PM by mikecho »

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »
I can understand rejecting the Wacky Packages X-Packs; that's logical and obvious.
I really don't see why that would be obvious or logical? The cards are taken from original pieces of commissioned Wacky art from Jay Lynch. They weren't bootlegs of Topps property.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 07:43:07 AM »
Okay, maybe I should've said "an "official" release." I also said that Lost Wackys Series 1 and Series 2 could be found listed in the Non-Topps section of the Master Spreadsheet so that the person who made the OP can look at it and see what they are.

In fact, I just changed the first thing to that right now.

All I'm asking for is answers. Why are some people still upset and holding grudges? Please, fill me in here. I'm all ears. I'd like to know what's going on and what people are fighting about, because I obviously know nothing about it and maybe I can help. Maybe there's a way we can settle these differences after all these years. If you want, just give me the abridged version. I'm sorry if I've hurt anyone's feelings or ruffled any feathers.

And what's Greg Grant's status on this forum? Is he persona non grata for some reason? I say this because I referred him to one of my threads on here and it sounded like he said he wasn't welcome at all.
there is no current fight, not sure what you are looking for.  I gave the history on this as was asked.  Not sure why you think "official" is any better, "official" as certified by who?  you seem determined to give some legitimacy to this set as opposed to calling it what it is, a knock off set no sanctioned by Topps that originally had good intentions then lost its way due to profiteering, secrecy and other BS.  Sorry that offends you but that is what happened. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 07:45:13 AM »
I really don't see why that would be obvious or logical? The cards are taken from original pieces of commissioned Wacky art from Jay Lynch. They weren't bootlegs of Topps property.
toadally agree!, if anything, Xpacks are more "legal" than any of this other lost wackys crap.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »

Again the box series is a money grab, it was not done for charity.  It is not an authorized Topps release, stop pretending otherwise.  Any "official" release date is nothing more than the day the profiteers made them available for sale. There was no grand sanctioning and ribbon cutting event by topps on these knock off sets.  I did think it was cool to gather all those images whether it be on a poster or cards but  I would rather own the boxes than have pictures of the boxes sitting in a folder.  Topps not stopping the production of these cards in terms of image ownership struck me as another example of topps walking away from its copyrights on this.  I don't blame the profiteers from cranking out one set after the other using Topps images for profit if Topps isn't going to bother to do anything about it.  It is a free country and capitalism is fine.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »
there is no current fight, not sure what you are looking for.  I gave the history on this as was asked.  Not sure why you think "official" is any better, "official" as certified by who?  you seem determined to give some legitimacy to this set as opposed to calling it what it is, a knock off set not sanctioned by Topps that originally had good intentions then lost its way due to profiteering, secrecy and other BS.  Sorry that offends you but that is what happened.
No offence; now I know.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 10:09:41 AM »
No offence; now I know.
I am sure the profiteers have a different version of how this played out.  My main advice would to refrain from trying to make these knock off releases seem like something "official".  Newbies coming here may be duped into thinking these are topps issued products when terms like "official" and "certified" are loosely assigned to these releases.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
I am sure the profiteers have a different version of how this played out.  My main advice would to refrain from trying to make these knock off releases seem like something "official".  Newbies coming here may be duped into thinking these are topps issued products when terms like "official" and "certified" are loosely assigned to these releases.
Right, you will see descriptions in the auctions for the girlie art knockoffs to the effect of “no one knows who unearthed this fabulous art - if anyone knows, please let us know”, suggesting it could be from some non-existent secret Norm Saunders vault or something.  C’mon, give me a break with this crap.  You’re selling an unlimited supply of these images, and you’re asking where the ‘paintings’ might have come from?  Give me a break.  This isn’t fooling any savvy collectors on the forum, but it could be fooling a lot of non-member ebayers if the seller has their ear to the exclusion of anyone else.

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
I think Ernie calls them profiteers because here's an example of choosing to print only 5 of a certain Lost Wacky as a holograph and passing it off as rare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184573803789

There have been past examples of 1 of 1s with a different background that sold on eBay $10K or more.  One of the profiteers was even accused of shilling to drive the price up higher. Caveat Emptor.