Author Topic: Topps 582 Montgomery Club Members  (Read 2286 times)

Offline jeffcaff

Topps 582 Montgomery Club Members
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:15:56 AM »
It is going to get more and more difficult to purchase the online only sets through Topps now.  Sport and Non Sport set and boxes are going to be made available to purchase exclusively to Topps 582 Montgomery members first. The 582 club is a yearly membership club that Topps first in 2018. Memberships sold out for for the 2020-21 calendar year already. One of the perks of the club is exclusive early access to products.   If there is anything unsold, it will be offered to the general public.   The last 6 sets or boxes that I have been interested in purchasing sold out within an hour after the offering.    I was curious if anyone here has experienced this over the past few months.

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Topps 582 Montgomery Club Members
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
That will cost topps money in the long run

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 01:33:47 PM »
I was curious if anyone here has experienced this over the past few months.

I only buy Wacky Packages from Topps, so no.  The first I'd heard of this club was when Patrick mentioned it on the GPK Online topic.

Does anyone know what the membership costs?  I see that you get a whole bunch of free stuff that I wouldn't be interested in.  It looks like a lot of it ends up on eBay - a search for 582 Montgomery produced 14,178 results.  There are even four for memberships at $850, $1,200, $2,000, and $2,100 - or best offer.

https://www.topps.com/582montgomeryclub
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:38:35 PM by drono »

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:04:31 PM »
My feelings are that in any limited product offering that gives a certain person a distinct advantage over someone else, be it a membership fee or the ability to use an internet bot, will create an artificially inflated secondary market which will turn off the average collector who won't be able to obtain the product at a reasonable price.
  Topps is doing well with their print to Demand sets unlike other venues like the U.S. Mint which has alienated coin collectors by creating artificial rarities and shutting many old time collectors out of their new products, instead giving them to 'flippers' who purchase items just for the goal to try to make a profit.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »
  Topps is doing well with their print to Demand sets unlike other venues like the U.S. Mint which has alienated coin collectors by creating artificial rarities and shutting many old time collectors out of their new products, instead giving them to 'flippers' who purchase items just for the goal to try to make a profit.
and this is exactly what happened with the GPK sapphire boxes - $50 cost from Topps and then immediately flipped onto ebay for $500 that same day.
I did read that some GPK'ers that bought at these crazy high prices were able to get reduced or refunded payments, once the boxes went on sale the next day to the public and they became readily available.

anything