Author Topic: Complaining Wackys To Death???  (Read 3084 times)

Online roughwriter

• Rough Writer
Complaining Wackys To Death???
« on: November 13, 2020, 05:49:08 AM »
   I was really disturbed by what I've seen lately on this site. We are experiencing an explosion of Wackys unlike anything in the lasy 50 years. Even in the heyday of the original series, we didn't see such an abundance of new designs. Wackys are practically raining down on us! And in the midst of this plenty, Dave's Old School set arrives to blow our minds. Just the few teaser images on Topps site are stunners! Remembering that Old School is mostly a one man show, it is amazing that such uniformly high end images were produced. Dave should have been basking in the glory of rightly deserved praise for his monumental task. But is that what happened? No! Instead, he has to repeatedly defend his set to justify its expense and business model! How unfair to him!

This cannot be that hard to understand! Back in the 70s, Topps printed MILLIONS of Wackys, and was able to sell them like hot cakes! They were practically printing money! Under those circumstances, they could afford to sell them cheap, because they made it up on volume! Don't forget that it was almost a half century ago, and EVERYTHING was way cheaper then. Gas, cars, homes, groceries. It ALL was way less expensive. And don't forget, when something crosses over from an item of mass consumption to a "collectible", the rise in purchase price can be exponential. That's a side issue though. The simple truth is, When Many Are Buying, The Price Goes Down, And When Few Are Buying, The Price Goes Up. The production cost doesn't change depending on how many people want to buy. When fewer sets are sold, each has to cover a bigger share of the cost of production. Instead of millions, or hundreds or tens of thousands, we are only talking about hundreds of sets being produced now. And don't think anyone is getting rich here. I can only speak for myself, but as a rough writer I get $50 for an accepted drawing. It takes about an hour to create each one, and I usually have to draw 7 to get one accepted. Do the math. That works out to less than minimum wage! I work a day job, so that I can cartoon on the side. It is a labor of love, and you can tell from the level of quality in Dave's paintings that it is for him, too! Don't tear him down for creating things we all enjoy so much. You should be thanking him! Either buy them, or don't, but don't unload on him.

For those of you that are unhappy, be careful what you wish for. Topps might decide it just isn't worth the headache, and pull the plug on this cornucopia. Would that make you happy? Going back to the way it had been for years, where there were never any new Wackys at all, and no one knew when more were coming, or even IF they were ever coming again??? I myself found it depressing to think that something that had brought me so much joy as a kid was gone forever, and all we could do was sift through the dry dead bones. When I found out that Wackys was alive again, I jumped in with both feet, and I plan on doing all I can to keep it running for as long as possible! You all should, too! Now go congratulate Dave on his awesome art, and quit your bellyaching! - Nuff Said!

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Complaining Wackys To Death???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:31:04 AM »
Thank you for articulating my sediments exactly!

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:38:59 AM »
I don't think there were as many complaints about the price as there were, and have been with the weekly series too, about the way it's being sold and collated.  The $150 price is more than reasonable for what you get, but to get a complete set of just the base and the graduation photos requires that you spend at least $450, and that's only if Topps pays attention to your order and collates them so you get all 20 of the photos.  Then you end up with two extra base sets that you can't trade since everybody has them, and you'll struggle to sell because there's an over abundance of them.  That's my chief complaint. 

As a kid I could drop a buck on 19 packs and get close to the whole set.  If I didn't, then I could go back next week when I got my allowance and do it again.  Now my allowance has to pay a mortgage, car payment, groceries, utilities, etc., so I can't blow the whole thing on Wacky Packages.  Also the window of buying has gotten much shorter, so there's no going back to buy more.  Even if the window were larger, with the 4-6 week turnaround on delivery, it wouldn't make any difference.  My complaint is that if I don't want all those extras, I shouldn't have to drop four or five bills to get what I want.  It forces me to go into the secondary market, which is fine, but if everyone decides to do that, there will be no secondary market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the cornucopia of Wackys we're getting, and Dave and the other artist deserve and get my kudos.  However, my bank account keeps getting lower and lower.  And in the face of the impending unknown due to the pandemic, I have to keep a buffer just in case.  I'm lucky to have been able to stay employed during the whole COVID-19 situation, but I had my salary cut by 40% from April - September, and I know how hard it was to pay all the bills during that time, much less spend the $16 weekly for Wackys.  I sincerely doubt that Topps is struggling with the gazillions of those hideous project 2020 cards that the sports card collectors are buying in droves.

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
The weekly series cards, attacky cards  and the old school cards have been amazing. It’s been so great have a consistent stream of Wackies, when there was a time where we didn’t even know if we would be seeing anymore. Also I want to say that the quality has been amazing. I was super disappointed with the 50th anniversary set, baseball set, gone to the movies sets and the trumpocracy cards. Wackies have gotten back to their roots and there are some incredible artists that have supported them and have gone to bat with these passionate sets. I have no issue with the price but I do take issue to the incredibly inconsistent collation. I just ordered 3 old school sets so I could hopefully get the full tan set, graduation class set and 24 or the Ludlows with the goal of picking up the 6 I need through forum members or ebay (if needed) and I really hope that Topps pays attention to the collation. Someone could argue that when you would open packs you were not guaranteed a set but if I bought a full box, I always got a set. Also being able to get 9 sketch cards to fill a binder page will be awesome! Topps jusy needs to spend a bit more time on attention to detail and getting the sets sent out in a more timely manor. Here’s to more Wackies in the future and hats off to the artists that keep them alive
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:26:02 AM by Dr.M »

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:08:18 PM »
Another option that could satisfy most parties (Topps included) would be to have reduced the graduation set to 18 cards (nicer for in binder sheets). Thus would have allowed each $150 bundle to be:

Base set with title card
10 tan backs
10 Ludlow backs (up from 8 due to reduced graduation cards)
6 graduation cards
3 sketch cards

This keeps the bundles at the same amount of cards, but allows those that purchase 3 bundles to get the complete set (Topps would have to be diligent on collation). Those that wanted the complete set could purchase 3. Those that just want a sample and get the base set could purchase 1. Those that really love the sketch cards could purchase as many as they like...keep 1 complete set. Sell the rest or trade for more sketch cards from those that don’t value them as much. Everyone wins!

Just my thoughts.

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
Thus would have allowed each $150 bundle to be:
Base set with title card
10 tan backs
6 graduation cards
3 sketch cards

I'm still forced to buy stuff I don't want.  If I want living room furniture, don't make me buy a TV to get the sofa, a stereo to get the love seat, and a dishwasher to get the recliner, just let me buy what I want.  I guess I'll move completely to the secondary market from now on. 

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 01:26:27 PM »
I don't think there were as many complaints about the price as there were, and have been with the weekly series too, about the way it's being sold and collated.  The $150 price is more than reasonable for what you get, but to get a complete set of just the base and the graduation photos requires that you spend at least $450, and that's only if Topps pays attention to your order and collates them so you get all 20 of the photos.  Then you end up with two extra base sets that you can't trade since everybody has them, and you'll struggle to sell because there's an over abundance of them.  That's my chief complaint. 

As a kid I could drop a buck on 19 packs and get close to the whole set.  If I didn't, then I could go back next week when I got my allowance and do it again.  Now my allowance has to pay a mortgage, car payment, groceries, utilities, etc., so I can't blow the whole thing on Wacky Packages.  Also the window of buying has gotten much shorter, so there's no going back to buy more.  Even if the window were larger, with the 4-6 week turnaround on delivery, it wouldn't make any difference.  My complaint is that if I don't want all those extras, I shouldn't have to drop four or five bills to get what I want.  It forces me to go into the secondary market, which is fine, but if everyone decides to do that, there will be no secondary market.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for the cornucopia of Wackys we're getting, and Dave and the other artist deserve and get my kudos.  However, my bank account keeps getting lower and lower.  And in the face of the impending unknown due to the pandemic, I have to keep a buffer just in case.  I'm lucky to have been able to stay employed during the whole COVID-19 situation, but I had my salary cut by 40% from April - September, and I know how hard it was to pay all the bills during that time, much less spend the $16 weekly for Wackys.  I sincerely doubt that Topps is struggling with the gazillions of those hideous project 2020 cards that the sports card collectors are buying in droves.
I understand your points and I do agree with the direction, I just want to watch out that if it becomes too easy to get a set.  (look at the value of a ANS set)  that is what happens when it is too easy.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 01:43:47 PM »
Another option that could satisfy most parties (Topps included) would be to have reduced the graduation set to 18 cards (nicer for in binder sheets). Thus would have allowed each $150 bundle to be:

Base set with title card
10 tan backs
6 graduation cards
3 sketch cards

This keeps the bundles at the same amount of cards, but allows those that purchase 3 bundles to get the complete set (Topps would have to be diligent on collation). Those that wanted the complete set could purchase 3. Those that just want a sample and get the base set could purchase 1. Those that really love the sketch cards could purchase as many as they like...keep 1 complete set. Sell the rest or trade for more sketch cards from those that don’t value them as much. Everyone wins!

Just my thoughts.

They could offer a master set option. Even if its ridiculously priced, at least you have that option. My main complaint about recent releases is that even if you purchase 20 packs of the weekly sets, as an example, your are still not guaranteed to get the complete set of ludlows and coupons. We have all had weeks with crazy collations . 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
I'm still forced to buy stuff I don't want.  If I want living room furniture, don't make me buy a TV to get the sofa, a stereo to get the love seat, and a dishwasher to get the recliner, just let me buy what I want.  I guess I'll move completely to the secondary market from now on.

If you want to be in the secondary market that's still good for the hobby. The dealer will buy more to satisfy you. This model has been in affect all throughout every new release since WP and GPK came back in various forms. Nothing that cost them a big up front amount including retail is going to have just a base set in it. There are always chase cards and objects. You are looking at it from your perspective while there are a ton of other collectors that have completely different views on what and how to collect. Sketch card people, completists, parallel collectors, GPK has "rainbow" collectors (look it up, it's real!). If it's strictly money you are upset about then I don't know what to say. They are not going to offer a $14.99 option on a set that is very expensive to make. The configuration having the sketch cards offers a huge way out of really spending that kind of money (and, again, potentially making money). The only draw back is having to either trade or sell the extras here or on Ebay. And in that regard a lot of the collectors I know would actually consider that fun and part of the "game". It is what it is. I don't look at this like it's a problem but I respect your opinion that you do.

I'm certainly not taking offense to anything here because it doesn't really involve me. I'm just trying to LYK what their thinking is and offer alternative ways to collect these that may make better sense for certain collectors.

Also, the big spenders get a shot at free art! As always, I offer a raffle after the set ends it's week long sale for anyone that bought 3 or more sets. I'm going to have additional art this time for even more chances to win!

Also, I don't set the prices for any of these sets. Spittoon said I had to take criticism. Sure, if you want to talk about the gags, or the paintings some of the set ideas (wrapper card, graduation photos are my ideas and I designed the checklist) then have at it. Tan and Ludlow backs, no boxes or packs, configuration, price, sizing of the art on the cards and all that stuff I have zero final say in. I make suggestions but I'm just a cog so any criticism of that stuff feel free to direct at Topps. If you don't like a gag I'm all ears (I'd actually love for people to talk about the gags and art because they rarely do anymore...).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 03:37:28 PM by slamjim »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 03:41:36 PM »
Gotta ask - what is a rainbow collector?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 03:57:24 PM »
Gotta ask - what is a rainbow collector?

So a GPK collector will pick a card they like and collect all the variants of it. Included in that is the base card, the colored parallel cards, the autograph card and, I think, a printing plate. Sometimes they also try to get a sketch card of the character made from a return card.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 04:10:56 PM »
So a GPK collector will pick a card they like and collect all the variants of it. Included in that is the base card, the colored parallel cards, the autograph card and, I think, a printing plate. Sometimes they also try to get a sketch card of the character made from a return card.
Wacky collectors have often called this a Full House.
As Dave says, Base+ borders, backs, and sometimes other stuff, such as:  auto, plate, sketch. depending what you want to chase
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:13:24 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
I Googled “GPK rainbow collection” and saw from the images that there are even hologramic / refractor variations, a spectrum of prismatic surfaces alone.  The point of it all is completely lost on me. 

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
I agree with Dr. M about the price and collation.  If I spend oodles of money on a set, the LEAST Topps could do is be more careful with the collation.  If I spend $135 each week on the weekly series, I should be able to get 5 different coupons and 5 different Ludlows (even though I'm not all that concerned with the Ludlows).  Instead, I usually wind up with 3 or 4 of the coupons and have to buy the ones I still need on ebay--IF I can find them (they're getting harder to find!).  I spent well over $400 on the Attacky Packages, hoping that would certainly get me the full set of 20 coupons out of 40 coupons that are sent--but nooooo; out of 40 coupons, I only got 16 different ones and had to go to ebay to find them and plop down more money.

So, when this Old School came out for $150, sure, I wanted them.  I would also like all 20 graduation pictures, but I'm not going to shell out $450 for the likelihood that Topps will screw up the collation again.  If someone spends $450 for the product, Topps should be considerate enough to take the time to ensure that the buyer doesn't wind up with 3 copies of 8 of the same graduation pictures.  I had actually saved up money to purchase plenty of these Old School sets.  I COULD buy $450 worth of them, but I'm not because I just don't trust Topps' distribution of the various cards.  I wasn't willing to risk an extra $300 just to have to buy more of them on ebay.

Therefore, my only complaint is with Topps' collation.  The artwork and gags by the artists are terrific!  I love the extra sets everyone has worked hard to produce.  But Topps needs to be more considerate when assembling these sets and sending them out if we're handing them a buttload of money during a pandemic while many other industries are suffering.  Up to a couple of years ago, the collation was better; if you bought 3 sets, you could pretty much count on getting everything.  Not anymore.  Topps, be more considerate with the money of your customers, especially when money for them doesn't come easy during a pandemic, and be more careful when assembling and distributing these sets!!!

Offline drono

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 06:18:10 AM »
I understand your points and I do agree with the direction, I just want to watch out that if it becomes too easy to get a set.  (look at the value of a ANS set)  that is what happens when it is too easy.

The only value to me is the joy of owning them.  I never think about resale.  $450 is just too much to get a base set and a graduation photo set.  Maybe we should all be listed in the Are these people NUTS??? thread.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
I only want a 30 sticker set....  I already have someone willing to sell me one for a reasonable price when they come out....  I don't need all the rest....

I respect all those who are looking for the rest of the complete set... there is alot of cool stuff.... 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:07:08 PM by 70s_Kid »