Author Topic: BRAND BUSTERS UPDATE!  (Read 15356 times)

Offline quas

Re: BRAND BUSTERS UPDATE!
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
Me too, those same two!
Marc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
It seems that certain stickers are repeatedly showing up in people's "Need" lists, even though the uncut sheets show equal printing.

Yeah, there's about 5 or 6 titles that seem to be short-printed, which makes it hard to trade.
Brian Mc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
Can you share your art scans here for the Brand Busters parodies, similar to Dave Gross sharing art scans of his Old School parodies? Thanks!

Offline jg2000

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »
Can you share your art scans here for the Brand Busters parodies, similar to Dave Gross sharing art scans of his Old School parodies? Thanks!

You mean of the original art?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »

You mean of the original art?

Yes, please! You're fantastic details loses something in print.

Offline jg2000

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
Yes, please! You're fantastic details loses something in print.

Ok, any title in particular you want to see?

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
Finally opened a box and was lucky to get a whole set with 3 packs left.  Also got a complete Bang puzzle.   :great:

It was great opening the packs and the anticipation building as I neared the complete set.  Didn't know if I would get all 30 and as I got near the last of the packs I was getting anxious.

Great artwork and gags.  The artwork is nice and big with minimal white space around the art unlike the last Old School set.  Nice to have kiss cuts.  I will actually be peeling and sticking some of my dupes.  They are that good.  Congratulations on a fantastic set.  Hope there are more to come!

*Edit* after opening the last 3 packs I completed the Big Squeal puzzle.  :great:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:08:05 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »

Ok, any title in particular you want to see?

All of them actually...if you have JPGs to share.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
Having a blast peeling and sticking some of my extras.  The art and gags are really top notch.   :great: 

I like this set 100% more than the last Old School set.  We'll see how the new Old School set goes.  I mean half the price (!),  box, wrappers, kiss-cut stickers, great art (and a good size on the art) and great gags.  Topps really needs to step up their game.

P.S.  What are the original products for Battle bar and Tax beer?  Is there a list somewhere of all the original products that the spoofs are based on?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

P.S.  What are the original products for Battle bar and Tax beer?  Is there a list somewhere of all the original products that the spoofs are based on?

I can answer one of those.   Battle bar is based on the Baffle bar from the Cardinet Candy Company (which at one time was part of Ralston-Purina)

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=10853

Although Cardinet is no longer around, they also produced the popular U-NO bar, which survives to this day though now produced by the Annabelle Candy Company, makers of Abba-Zaba, Rocky Road, Look and Big Hunk bars. Annabelle's products are more widely distributed on the West Coast, but do make their way all around the country in candy specialty shops. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
Having a blast peeling and sticking some of my extras.  The art and gags are really top notch.   :great: 

I like this set 100% more than the last Old School set.  We'll see how the new Old School set goes.  I mean half the price (!),  box, wrappers, kiss-cut stickers, great art (and a good size on the art) and great gags.  Topps really needs to step up their game.

I had so much fun that I bought a few more boxes.  It is definitely nice to be able to do that!  I know I did that with the early Old School sets.

I'm expecting that Topps will have the image sizes corrected for Old School 9; they have certainly gotten that right on the weekly series.

Baffle is the original product for Battle.  I found this on line:

Darn, the page I found this on reminded me of a candy bar I miss, Caravelle.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:47:27 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Old School and Dave's work.  I just want it to be the best it can be and sell the most it can!  :great:

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
I loved Caravelle!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
I loved Caravelle!

It was one of my favorites.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
Not sure how many of you have traversed historic Route-66 in Arizona, but if you like old CANDY memorabilia... this place had an insane amount of vintage candy boxes, shipping cases, etc.  I haven't been there in probably 8 years or so.  But it's a cool place to stop into.  The guy wouldn't sell any, but it's fun to see.  Not sure if it's all still there.  But the website's still up...

http://www.seligmansundries.com/

...and while you're out in that area, JEROME is a cool town to visit.  This Gold Mine has hundreds of old rusty cars, countless wooden shacks, and more vintage metal advertising signs than I could count.  Unfortunately, the cool old dude that owned & ran it for decades passed away a couple years ago (talking to that guy was half the fun of the place).  But it's another one of those off-the-beaten-track kind of places to visit while everyone else is crowding the trails in the Grand Canyon gettin' covid all over themselves...

https://goldkingmineghosttown.com/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:51:51 PM by ToadallyDude »

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
I didn't give these a second thought since I have been spending so much on the weekly series, but I became interested when a forum member put one of these stickers on the back of the envelope sent to me in a trade.  Kind of hooked now...

I would basically just like the set and the 3 completed puzzles. Would one box be enough with the amount of potential trading on the forum or would you purchase 2 (or more)?

Offline drono

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »
I would basically just like the set and the 3 completed puzzles. Would one box be enough with the amount of potential trading on the forum or would you purchase 2 (or more)?

It looks like there are a few stickers that are short printed - or short distributed since each one appears once on the uncut sheets.  So some have gotten a complete sticker set from one box but many have not.  Since there are 24 packs and 27 different puzzle pieces, you can't get a complete set of all three puzzles from one box.  You might be able to trade extra stickers for your missing puzzle pieces.  That just depends.

Offline drono

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
$175!!!  You could buy two boxes for that price and most certainly get a couple of sticker sets and a full set of puzzles.  Plus, you'd get the joy of opening packs.  Is this seller confused with a product that can't still be purchased?

Offline quas

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2020, 12:09:33 PM »
$175!!!  You could buy two boxes for that price and most certainly get a couple of sticker sets and a full set of puzzles.  Plus, you'd get the joy of opening packs.  Is this seller confused with a product that can't still be purchased?

Or best offer.  No expectations of getting $175.  Plus with ebay, you never know about an impulse buyer.  And no listing fee.  No downside.
Marc

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
Or best offer.  No expectations of getting $175.  Plus with ebay, you never know about an impulse buyer.  And no listing fee.  No downside.

I had almost forgotten about listing fees, and "free listing days" from way back.  And you didn't have to pay a final value fee on shipping.  Ebay hasn't sent me a special offer like 3 listings with a maximum final value fee in over a year  :sad:

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2020, 04:03:23 PM »
It looks like there are a few stickers that are short printed - or short distributed since each one appears once on the uncut sheets.  So some have gotten a complete sticker set from one box but many have not.  Since there are 24 packs and 27 different puzzle pieces, you can't get a complete set of all three puzzles from one box.  You might be able to trade extra stickers for your missing puzzle pieces.  That just depends.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably buy 2 boxes and hopefully get everything I need.  With my luck I'm not counting on it.

I remember going to a grocery store that had a clearance sale on 1981 Topps Baseball Card rack packs. Only 39 cents marked down from $1.09!  Rode my bicycle up there the next day and bought almost everything they had. Ended up having enough cards for 4 complete sets yet none were complete. All were missing one card...the same card, A Leon Durham rookie card.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably buy 2 boxes and hopefully get everything I need.  With my luck I'm not counting on it.

I remember going to a grocery store that had a clearance sale on 1981 Topps Baseball Card rack packs. Only 39 cents marked down from $1.09!  Rode my bicycle up there the next day and bought almost everything they had. Ended up having enough cards for 4 complete sets yet none were complete. All were missing one card...the same card, A Leon Durham rookie card.

I guess pack searchers go back longer than I thought!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »

Surprised to hear that a rookie card would have been short-printed as far back as 1981, as I don’t remember the irrational pursuit of rookie cards taking hold that early on.  In any case, they guessed wrong with Leon Durham, as his career never reached HOF levels.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2020, 06:19:49 AM »

Sold my two extra sets for $40 each. But, as Marc noted, there's no real downside to asking for $175. Somebody might pay it!
Brian Mc

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2020, 06:56:17 AM »
Sold my two extra sets for $40 each. But, as Marc noted, there's no real downside to asking for $175. Somebody might pay it!

$40 only works if you get really good collation.  Some boxes don't have a full sticker set, and some boxes don't have a complete puzzle.  I got one box that had neither  :o  And, it had a damaged box topper card.

Offline drono

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »
But, as Marc noted, there's no real downside to asking for $175. Somebody might pay it!

The price has been reduced to $149.99 now

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2020, 11:11:03 AM »
Surprised to hear that a rookie card would have been short-printed as far back as 1981, as I don’t remember the irrational pursuit of rookie cards taking hold that early on.  In any case, they guessed wrong with Leon Durham, as his career never reached HOF levels.

They couldn't search for a particular card in a rack pack unless they knew at the time how Topps collated them, so I doubt that especially because Leon Durham was a nobody at the time. It must have been a collation error by Topps but remember i had to pay $1 a piece for them a few years later at the local show to finally complete my sets.

Topps has some double printed cards back in the early 80's" 1980 and 1981 from what I remember. Some were stars too. I remember I had a bunch of 1980 Carl Yastrzemskis

Offline jg2000

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2020, 03:55:59 AM »
I'm glad to see so much chatter about the set and that most of you enjoyed the experience.
Here's the real product for JAX Beer.

https://imgur.com/a/7unX5Qv

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »
Hi all, opened my Brand Busters box this week... so much fun in this set, I really really loved it. 

My collation was pretty dismal, but whaddya gonna do? 

The good news is, I certainly had multiples of some stickers, so I went about and stuck 'em inside one of my file cabinet doors...  :-)

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2020, 10:57:25 PM »
$40 only works if you get really good collation.  Some boxes don't have a full sticker set, and some boxes don't have a complete puzzle.  I got one box that had neither  :o  And, it had a damaged box topper card.

Yeah, my box had neither a complete set nor any complete puzzle set, either.  I take it that wasn't the norm?

Offline jg2000

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2020, 04:30:46 AM »
Yeah, my box had neither a complete set nor any complete puzzle set, either.  I take it that wasn't the norm?

Let me know what you're missing and I'll send you what I can.

Message me.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
Quas is the seller  ;)
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline dth1971

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2020, 07:06:00 AM »
Will there be a Brand Busters Series 2 in 2021?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2021, 11:20:29 AM »
I hope to finally open mine this weekend!!!!

Richard
#StayWacky

anything