Author Topic: BRAND BUSTERS UPDATE!  (Read 1742 times)

Offline quas

Re: BRAND BUSTERS UPDATE!
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
Me too, those same two!
Marc

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »
It seems that certain stickers are repeatedly showing up in people's "Need" lists, even though the uncut sheets show equal printing.

Yeah, there's about 5 or 6 titles that seem to be short-printed, which makes it hard to trade.
Brian Mc

Offline Swiski

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 09:37:47 PM »
Can you share your art scans here for the Brand Busters parodies, similar to Dave Gross sharing art scans of his Old School parodies? Thanks!

Offline jg2000

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »
Can you share your art scans here for the Brand Busters parodies, similar to Dave Gross sharing art scans of his Old School parodies? Thanks!

You mean of the original art?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »

You mean of the original art?

Yes, please! You're fantastic details loses something in print.

Offline jg2000

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
Yes, please! You're fantastic details loses something in print.

Ok, any title in particular you want to see?

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
Finally opened a box and was lucky to get a whole set with 3 packs left.  Also got a complete Bang puzzle.   :great:

It was great opening the packs and the anticipation building as I neared the complete set.  Didn't know if I would get all 30 and as I got near the last of the packs I was getting anxious.

Great artwork and gags.  The artwork is nice and big with minimal white space around the art unlike the last Old School set.  Nice to have kiss cuts.  I will actually be peeling and sticking some of my dupes.  They are that good.  Congratulations on a fantastic set.  Hope there are more to come!

*Edit* after opening the last 3 packs I completed the Big Squeal puzzle.  :great:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:08:05 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »

Ok, any title in particular you want to see?

All of them actually...if you have JPGs to share.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 05:06:05 PM »
Having a blast peeling and sticking some of my extras.  The art and gags are really top notch.   :great: 

I like this set 100% more than the last Old School set.  We'll see how the new Old School set goes.  I mean half the price (!),  box, wrappers, kiss-cut stickers, great art (and a good size on the art) and great gags.  Topps really needs to step up their game.

P.S.  What are the original products for Battle bar and Tax beer?  Is there a list somewhere of all the original products that the spoofs are based on?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

P.S.  What are the original products for Battle bar and Tax beer?  Is there a list somewhere of all the original products that the spoofs are based on?

I can answer one of those.   Battle bar is based on the Baffle bar from the Cardinet Candy Company (which at one time was part of Ralston-Purina)

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/?p=10853

Although Cardinet is no longer around, they also produced the popular U-NO bar, which survives to this day though now produced by the Annabelle Candy Company, makers of Abba-Zaba, Rocky Road, Look and Big Hunk bars. Annabelle's products are more widely distributed on the West Coast, but do make their way all around the country in candy specialty shops. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2020, 11:45:20 PM »
Having a blast peeling and sticking some of my extras.  The art and gags are really top notch.   :great: 

I like this set 100% more than the last Old School set.  We'll see how the new Old School set goes.  I mean half the price (!),  box, wrappers, kiss-cut stickers, great art (and a good size on the art) and great gags.  Topps really needs to step up their game.

I had so much fun that I bought a few more boxes.  It is definitely nice to be able to do that!  I know I did that with the early Old School sets.

I'm expecting that Topps will have the image sizes corrected for Old School 9; they have certainly gotten that right on the weekly series.

Baffle is the original product for Battle.  I found this on line:

Darn, the page I found this on reminded me of a candy bar I miss, Caravelle.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:47:27 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2020, 08:39:34 AM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Old School and Dave's work.  I just want it to be the best it can be and sell the most it can!  :great:

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
I loved Caravelle!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
I loved Caravelle!

It was one of my favorites.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
Not sure how many of you have traversed historic Route-66 in Arizona, but if you like old CANDY memorabilia... this place had an insane amount of vintage candy boxes, shipping cases, etc.  I haven't been there in probably 8 years or so.  But it's a cool place to stop into.  The guy wouldn't sell any, but it's fun to see.  Not sure if it's all still there.  But the website's still up...

http://www.seligmansundries.com/

...and while you're out in that area, JEROME is a cool town to visit.  This Gold Mine has hundreds of old rusty cars, countless wooden shacks, and more vintage metal advertising signs than I could count.  Unfortunately, the cool old dude that owned & ran it for decades passed away a couple years ago (talking to that guy was half the fun of the place).  But it's another one of those off-the-beaten-track kind of places to visit while everyone else is crowding the trails in the Grand Canyon gettin' covid all over themselves...

https://goldkingmineghosttown.com/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:51:51 PM by ToadallyDude »