Author Topic: How much will theis auction go for?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Bigmuc13

Still looking for Series 17

Offline drono

Re: How much will theis auction go for?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:09:17 AM »
Me too!

I'm curious as to why the user with a feedback rating of 18190 found it necessary to bid 19 times in a row in a matter of 28 seconds.  Is it a shill?  If I was going to bid, I'd be mad that they're driving up the price early on.  If I was the seller, I'd be elated.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
Me too!

I'm curious as to why the user with a feedback rating of 18190 found it necessary to bid 19 times in a row in a matter of 28 seconds.  Is it a shill?  If I was going to bid, I'd be mad that they're driving up the price early on.  If I was the seller, I'd be elated.

It could be a shill, but I really don't know why you would have to do that, especially at a low price.  This will sell for a lot.  I was thinking of throwing in a lowish bid just in case, but that never works!!!

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 05:35:53 AM »
Do you all trust these auctions? I'm no expert, but there seems to be a lot of old, 70's Ludlows floating around ePay the last several months. If they're so rare, why are they seemingly all over ePay these days?

I'm skeptical, but again, I'm not an expert on 70's Ludlows.
Brian Mc

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 06:27:20 AM »
Me too!

I'm so scared of evilbay.   I have a lot of sets of originals from the 70's that I've accumulated over the years from purchases and trades, but I'm scared to put them on evilbay.   And, to be quite honest, I have no idea what they are worth as I have been out of the hobby for several years.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline drono

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Wow, it's up to $898 with about 90 minutes to go.  I wonder if there will be a bidding frenzy in the last 10 seconds.

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 02:04:01 PM »
$2,006.78 ?????

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »
Wow, it's up to $898 with about 90 minutes to go.  I wonder if there will be a bidding frenzy in the last 10 seconds.

It just ended at a little over 2 grand.  So that's a little over $100 each.  That is probably close to market value.  I am sure they could have gotten more though if they sold them individually.  There can be that one sticker that a couple guys need and go at it hard.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
I'm so scared of evilbay.   I have a lot of sets of originals from the 70's that I've accumulated over the years from purchases and trades, but I'm scared to put them on evilbay.   And, to be quite honest, I have no idea what they are worth as I have been out of the hobby for several years.

Mid Grade sets from series 3-10 are not worth much these days. Around $30 per set is not unusual. 1st series does significantly better, and 16ths still do well.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
I might be mistaken, but I thought I remember someone getting caught STAMPING ludlow logos on the backs of normal cards in the early 2000s, right around the time there were a ton of re-ironed "unopened packs" out there.  I don't remember if it was red or black, or 1st or 2nd.  But seems like it was a controversy anyway...  Ernie?  Scot?  You guys remember this?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »
I might be mistaken, but I thought I remember someone getting caught STAMPING ludlow logos on the backs of normal cards in the early 2000s, right around the time there were a ton of re-ironed "unopened packs" out there.  I don't remember if it was red or black, or 1st or 2nd.  But seems like it was a controversy anyway...  Ernie?  Scot?  You guys remember this?

I remember that as well. I think they were found out because a large number of the fake backs were identical.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »
There was a guy who said he was going to do it(we all met him at a parsippany show, I can't recall his name) and then a lot showed up with all ludlows with the same pattern.  I don't know what we ever proved a link between the two nor do I know what happened with that lot and whether they were confirmed to be fake.  My bigger fear is the printing of ludlows on these new wackys and these crappola "secret underground BS" sets.  I am hearing there are original series ludlows in the market now with a clearly new printing pattern so again connecting dots, I think the likelihood of these new printing pattern ludlows on original series stickers are from the folks making these BS underground ludlow sets.  Some sellers on ebay seem to have an infinite supply of original series ludlows for sure....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
I’ve had some of the same observations.  When you check in on eBay listings with any frequency at all and see pristine sets of what is normally hard to assemble even in mid-grade, you have to wonder.  When you see a steady unending supply of 16th singles, same thing.

A couple weeks ago someone listed an acknowledged reproduction OS box, I think it was maybe the gumless 7th box, and from the images i couldn’t tell it was a copy.  Whats to stop someone from buying it and after a few months re-listing it as authentic original?  Lots of caveat emptor out there.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
Some sellers on ebay seem to have an infinite supply of original series ludlows for sure....

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post. There seems to be a plethora of these cards on eBay lately.

Maybe they're legitimate, but my spider senses are tingling.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:29:47 PM by Brian Mc »
Brian Mc

Offline MadMike

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
They are tingling for good reason!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
Reminds me of the first time I met Duane.  I'd only just gotten back into Wackys a couple months before (ah... 1997, 20 lbs. lighter and no gray hair), and I drove out to the Rose Bowl swap-meet, hoping to score some Wackys.  Came upon a booth with a Ratz & Cracked right there on the table.  I'd only just heard of these titles and their value, too, as I never had die-cuts as a kid.  Asked the guy how much, and he said 5-bucks or something, which of course shot my blood-pressure to "me in 2020" level at first.  Then he honestly showed me they were reproductions.  When my voice came back, I mentioned I'd heard this Duane Dimmock dude had been making them.  And instead of saying he was him, he asked me, "Oh, what do you think of that Duane guy?".  Luckily I was diplomatic.  We had a laugh & I eventually got invited to the most incredible "collectors house" I'd ever seen.  One of the wildest "Wacky Pack Events".  I think John and I must have hung out there for literally 6 or 8 hours.  So much to see.  I wonder how he's doing.  Haven't heard from him in years.  Biggest cereal box and cereal premium collection imaginable.  Kool-Aid too.  Good ole' Duane.

Offline Rictor

• Card For Sale
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
Me too!

That's pretty common.  They are bidding a few dollars at a time, trying to outbid the highest bidder.  They keep getting automatically outbid by the current high bidder, so they bid a little more each time.

As for why people bid early in auctions, either they don't have a sniping tool, or they figure they'll bid their maximum and forget it. Usually, it's a bad idea, but every once in a while I get outbid by the guy that put in a bid on day 1 because I forget to schedule a snipe for day 7 of an auction.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
I still think 'blind' auctions are the fairest way to go.  The seller agrees to sell an item to the highest bidder over a certain reserve price, and every bidder just gets one chance to bid.  Boom.  The one that cleverly bids just higher than the others are willing to pay gets it, and there's no chance of shilling as the seller doesn't get to know what bids are coming in until they're all in.  Well, they can shill if they want to, but it wouldn't be any more effective than just setting a high reserve.  Plus the auctions would end quicker, too.  1 hour window to send in your bid.  Bing Bang Boom... done.  Still favors the 1%, of course.  But gives a little more edge to the non-1% who's clever enough to guess the perfect amount.  Instead of the highest bidder getting to buy it for X% above the 2nd highest bid... they'd have to pay the actual high bid amount.  So, no more billionaires sniping for 6-figures just so they're sure to get a piece for $5K.  And Ebay would make more $ this way, too.  Quicker auction turn arounds, and potentially higher prices overall.  Whether or not to publish the reserve would be interesting.  But either way, it would be more fair all around & not trigger the kind of "Las Vegas" style frenzy created by bidding wars where people pay 5x the value just because they didn't want to lose it to so-and-so.