Author Topic: Where is the bar for Wacky sketches?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Joe G.

Where is the bar for Wacky sketches?
« on: October 01, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
So after 10 years of Wacky sketches, where is the bar in terms of expectations/quality?  Does pulling a color sketch still lead to instant happiness or have so many sketches filled the market that collectors expect more?  Does a sketch need to have color, great rendering, fun design and a cool character to be a keeper?  Do they need to be something unique that strikes the collectors eye?  Are collectors looking for new artists to add to their collection?  I’m curious to know what today’s sketch collectors look for?  Any thoughts?

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Where is the bar for Wacky sketches?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
So after 10 years of Wacky sketches, where is the bar in terms of expectations/quality?  Does pulling a color sketch still lead to instant happiness or have so many sketches filled the market that collectors expect more?  Does a sketch need to have color, great rendering, fun design and a cool character to be a keeper?  Do they need to be something unique that strikes the collectors eye?  Are collectors looking for new artists to add to their collection?  I’m curious to know what today’s sketch collectors look for?  Any thoughts?

A keeper sketch for me would be one that was well-executed, that either looks like the original parody or is in a pleasing  distinct style and not crudely drawn.  Does not have to be in color - there is a posting from a Wacky artist where he showed off recent black and white and 2 color sketches that were included in packs and a full color artist return that may have been up for sale - I liked the black and white / 2 color/toned sketches better. Am also drawn to parodies that have not shown up on sketches over and over - unique clever depictions are keepers too, like the Mars Attacky style sketches. Some of the Halloween postcard sketches over the years have been really great.
My 2c - Alex

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
As a completest and a collector who would rather have his sketch cards and eat Raman Noodles.......
- HIGH Details and Quality
- Black and white can be just, if not more beautiful, than Color Sketches.

Here are some of my favorites (Unofficial):

Here are some of my favorite: (official WPs):
[/url[url=https://postimg.cc/7C36JqRY]

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:53:00 AM »
As a completest and a collector who would rather have his sketch cards and eat Raman Noodles.......

https://i.postimg.cc/v4nt46tR/TV-Garbage-Front.jpg[/img]

Impressive! A

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
Sketch: a rapidly executed freehand drawing that is not usually intended as a finished work.

As far as i am concerned, Sketches "jumped the shark" and have gotten out of control in trying to become finished color artwork which makes the sketches as defined by the term lesser desirable and hence the rat race begins.  Back when there were known quantities per sketch character or combo, it gave sketch collecting the same feel as collecting a set and allowed a completist feeling about it.  I am sure now it is completely impossible to make any sort of "listing" of sketches series the completist element is completely gone.  Sketch accumulation has become "amassing" as opposed to "collecting".

Going back to non finished pieces of color artwork, a desirable sketch would have nice shading and detail so a polished look about it.  Early old school sketches seemed to nail it but there were some artists who seemed to mail it in and provided stick figures so definitely more than stick figures would be ideal.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 06:58:31 AM »
Holy BeJesus!   How much money did you spend to collect this wonderful awesome card collection?   

Most of us don't have that kind of money to spend on luxuries.   Congrats.

Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 06:53:08 AM »
This is just the tip of them (sigh......) I think Marc has way more then me...... I have 298 catalogued so far.

Many are from Collector's sets and I take the extra cash from selling off extras to indulge.....

Thank goodness my girlfriend does not know.... teeee heeee heee heee

I drive for Uber PT and that is my Wacky Loot - women have shoes, I have Wackys!
Typically Tues / Th after work until 9/10pm and then Friday / Sat from 5pm until 2-4am.

I work for those Wackys!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
I really like that one with the Paste Anyplace kid done up as a vampire.  With the orange frame and the b/w sketch it really captures a Halloween vibe nicely.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
Awesome sketches above.

Regardless of relationship status or current economic situation, "Dudes have the inalienable right to: #1) grow facial hair and #2) collect Wacky Packages".  It was in the constitution at one point, but that page got ripped or something.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »
All Wackies are created equal!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline quas

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
All Wackies are created equal!

Richard
#StayWacky

In that case, Richard, may I propose a trade of equals: my Bon Ami sticker for your die-cut Ratz?   >:D
Marc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Dr. Simon,

You are killing me!

Hope you and the wife are safe and well,

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »
This is just the tip of them (sigh......) I think Marc has way more then me...... I have 298 catalogued so far.

Many are from Collector's sets and I take the extra cash from selling off extras to indulge.....

Thank goodness my girlfriend does not know.... teeee heeee heee heee

I drive for Uber PT and that is my Wacky Loot - women have shoes, I have Wackys!
Typically Tues / Th after work until 9/10pm and then Friday / Sat from 5pm until 2-4am.

I work for those Wackys!

Richard
#StayWacky

That's a beautiful collection! 

Imagine if your girlfriend was like me?  That's how you REALLY end up with boxes and boxes of stuff!  I have the proof of that in my (very) full house after many years with my former boyfriend when we were both collecting toys, action figures, models, die cast, non sports cards, etc.

BTW, I love the way you put those big pictures of them together.  Maybe someday I'll advance past 9 at a time in an Ultra Pro page  :-[
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:45:14 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 10:27:09 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their comments and insights in this thread.  The reason I started it was because I was about to begin doing sketches for the first time in over three years and wasn’t sure the best way to attack them.  Obviously you have to balance time vs quality but it’s tricky in that you can burn time without having a planned overall approach at the start.  It seemed clear in the responses that design was key, but character and visual impact needed to be strong as well.  In the end I decided to stick with original series characters I hadn’t sketched before (although i’ve done about 7-8 sketch sets there were still many of these I had never done) and just crack the Abrams book and start on page 1.  I also decided to find semi-creative ways to incorporate the Wackys name and let that drive the design.  Ultimately I did decide to go all color as it just made sense and was one less thing to think about.  Here’s a few of the cards I did. Now these are true 1:1 as each is unique and each is the only time I’ve ever sketched the specific Wacky. 

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 10:43:54 PM »
Joe G - those are great!!! Really pushes me towards getting more than a box or two of the OS9 -
A

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 09:26:29 AM »
Joe G - those are great!!! Really pushes me towards getting more than a box or two of the OS9 -
A

Thanks, Alex!  I appreciate the kudos and your thoughts on “keeper sketches.”  It was a fun set to do and I imagine sales will be pretty strong.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »
The sketches this time around are KILLER! So many color sketches and the artists had a lot of time to work on them!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
Dave, so cool!  Glad to be part of a group of “Killer” sketches.  If anyone wants to see more of my sketches, my son Josh recorded me thumbing through the stack.  Check it out on Instagram at @joshuastoybox .  And if you do, please give it a like and follow.  He’s been working hard to grow his channel.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
I want to thank everyone for their comments and insights in this thread.  The reason I started it was because I was about to begin doing sketches for the first time in over three years and wasn’t sure the best way to attack them.  Obviously you have to balance time vs quality but it’s tricky in that you can burn time without having a planned overall approach at the start.  It seemed clear in the responses that design was key, but character and visual impact needed to be strong as well.  In the end I decided to stick with original series characters I hadn’t sketched before (although i’ve done about 7-8 sketch sets there were still many of these I had never done) and just crack the Abrams book and start on page 1.  I also decided to find semi-creative ways to incorporate the Wackys name and let that drive the design.  Ultimately I did decide to go all color as it just made sense and was one less thing to think about.  Here’s a few of the cards I did. Now these are true 1:1 as each is unique and each is the only time I’ve ever sketched the specific Wacky. 

Joe

These are GREAT and ALL Color is the WAY TO GO!!! Hope all Artists follow your lead!!

thx
PS I kill for WP Colored Sketches!!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 12:04:34 PM »
Joe, so glad you dig ‘em!  Nice to be back in the game after being booted from sketching for awhile!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Beautiful as always!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »
Beautiful as always!

Richard
#StayWacky

Richard, thanks!  I would be proud if one became part of your wonderful keeper collection!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
Joe,

TY!

Fingers Crossed!

Richard
#StayWacky

anything