Author Topic: 4th series checklist  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Plastered Peanut

4th series checklist
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »
I ran across a (very) old thread about a 4th series checklist with Bum, Choke, Mess, and Windhex on it.   There were images but the thread was so old they were gone.   Can someone please post the images here?   Patrick?    ;)
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: 4th series checklist
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:15:08 PM »
I ran across a (very) old thread about a 4th series checklist with Bum, Choke, Mess, and Windhex on it.   There were images but the thread was so old they were gone.   Can someone please post the images here?   Patrick?    ;)
I've looked for it multiple times but don't have a copy of it in my archives. It was red, and not orange, is the main thing I remember. And I believe Winsome was on it, not Milk-Foam.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:46:15 AM »
I found these images on Google of the two variant checklists. Was there another variant checklist out there?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:50:59 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 06:01:54 AM »
I found these images on Google of the two variant checklists. Was there another variant checklist out there?

Those are the two common variants.  I would love to see the really rare third variant!  I hate the fact that pictures disappear over time.  I was looking through the 2014 thread a few days ago, and I couldn't restore anything anyone had attached, like 4 panel sketches  :sad:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:03:55 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »
Wow! This checklist must be rare if the image is that hard to find. I thought maybe it would be pictured in a reference guide or website somewhere.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06:35 AM »
Heck I don't even remember that there was such a checklist with all four titles on it?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
it was from a proof checklist sheet from a very early design phase for the set.
It was pulled from a stash of trashed proof sheets of various sorts, iirc, and in the hands of a collector. The image was first posted on Greg's second forum, which completely disappeared ages ago.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
Those are the two common variants.  I would love to see the really rare third variant!  I hate the fact that pictures disappear over time.  I was looking through the 2014 thread a few days ago, and I couldn't restore anything anyone had attached, like 4 panel sketches  :sad:

Should I start another thread featuring 4 panel sketches? I want to see these again too - the 2014 ANS12 series was one of my favorites -
A

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
I found these two checklist images in my Wacky files. No notes on where they came from, but I imagine I downloaded them from a forum or from ebay at some point. I assume they're real?

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
That’s the one!
Thanks

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 02:33:29 AM »
Holy McGoly!   With all four titles on the same checklist this changes everything for the 4th series!   

So , the first thing we know for certain was that Winsome was replaced by Milk Foam.   No date on record.

THEN, we do have a record, of Dec 10, obviously 1973, that Freetoes was C&D'd. 

Now probably before that, Bun and Choke were C&D'd.   It looks like, according to the sheets we have on record, that Bum was replaced by Chef Boy ar Dee, and Chole was replaced by Hipton.   

But then later for some reason, Chef that replaced Bum was replaced by Mess, and Hipton that replaced Choke was replaced by Windhex.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

I love this stuff.

And then on Jan 17, 1974, Gatoraid was replaced by.............?    Do we know?

I found these two checklist images in my Wacky files. No notes on where they came from, but I imagine I downloaded them from a forum or from ebay at some point. I assume they're real?

Send me your borderless wackys!

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 06:21:07 AM »
Holy McGoly!   With all four titles on the same checklist this changes everything for the 4th series!   

So , the first thing we know for certain was that Winsome was replaced by Milk Foam.   No date on record.

THEN, we do have a record, of Dec 10, obviously 1973, that Freetoes was C&D'd. 

Now probably before that, Bun and Choke were C&D'd.   It looks like, according to the sheets we have on record, that Bum was replaced by Chef Boy ar Dee, and Chole was replaced by Hipton.   

But then later for some reason, Chef that replaced Bum was replaced by Mess, and Hipton that replaced Choke was replaced by Windhex.

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

I love this stuff.

And then on Jan 17, 1974, Gatoraid was replaced by.............?    Do we know?
Years ago I wrote a page long synopsis for the 4th series containing all the dates, titles changed or pulled that we knew of, the different sheets for 4th series and even tied in the mail-in-poster.
I’ll have to dig that up.

My recollection is that by the time Gatoraid was pulled, topps was done with 4th and was already printing the 5th, so it was never replaced (just crossed out on the master sheet)
OPC was printed after that though, and by that time almost half the 4th was c&d’d, and all replaced with duplicates of others.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 07:02:27 PM »
So cool.  I never saw these before.  If anyone ever finds an 8th Series checklist with "Toadal", I'd be stoked to see it.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 06:39:48 AM »
This got me thinking, so I dusted off the old binder and Voila!

I have two complete puzzles for the 4th, Wormy Packages.

- The Standard (I am guessing) is more red on the border (also has the famous gum stains on one or two backings)
- The Alt Ver (Bum Chex checklist) is slightly more orange

If you want to see both of them, let me know and I will scan and upload them,

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline Swiski

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 07:27:23 AM »

So, were these ever printed or are these just art scans that were never produced? Confused!

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
So, were these ever printed or are these just art scans that were never produced? Confused!
During production Topps would print proofs at various stages for examination and QC.
Likely most of this stuff was trashed, and I think this is from a lot of thrown out items.
So scans of actual printed pieces, but they were not production items.

Offline drono

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
During production Topps would print proofs at various stages for examination and QC.
Likely most of this stuff was trashed, and I think this is from a lot of thrown out items.
So scans of actual printed pieces, but they were not production items.

If I was a kid who lived near the Topps factory, I think I'd have been doing a lot of dumpster diving.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »

I hate the fact that pictures disappear over time.  I was looking through the 2014 thread a few days ago, and I couldn't restore anything anyone had attached, like 4 panel sketches  :sad:

It is very annoying. It's weird all of the images in my message file are intact.

Here is a message from 2011!

there were the two templates used by Jay when he was signing the Wacky books from Abrams that were posted on Greg's forum. are those the ones you're talking about?
-Patrick

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 09:18:24 PM »
Has anyone here played around with ARTBREEDER.COM?  It's an Artificial Intelligence site where you can upload photos (or mainly just use the ones already there) to 'breed' together to create new images.  Mostly faces, but also landscapes, sci-fi, anime, etc. if you so like.  It's a bit like "thispersondoesnotexist", but instead of it generating faces, YOU create them by mixing them and setting different parameters.  It's wild.  But at least it's AI in an open, creative, positive form instead of being in control of robot drone armies that are smashing our heads or something.  Anyway... it would be interesting to see what some of the Wacky characters would look like artificially blended together and merged, using AI.  I have a feeling they'd loose their cartoon look as the AI algorithms train mainly on massive databases of public photos.  So, unless the dude from Ajerx is in a lot of selfies out there, it probably would balk a bit at the proportions.  Any of you ARTISTS out there, though... you might have fun with it.  And the images you create, you can use... as long as you agree that anyone else can breed them as well.  Great site for creating an "Idea Palette" of stuff to try out on a physical painting later, etc.

anything