Author Topic: Big Diecut Auction  (Read 3911 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Big Diecut Auction
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »
So, did anyone here win this?

Notable number variations include: Duzn’t 2, Chock 5, Grave 6, Quacker 18, 6-Up 23, Breadcrust 37, Maddie 43, may have forgotten others...

I saw Grave 6 immediately, but didn’t really have the money to offer the guy some money and attempt an off-the-bay deal. Sold for more than I would have expected, but someone could really fill holes in their collection with this.

eBay auction: #264846680867

Offline Alexeirex

Re: Big Diecut Auction
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »
So, did anyone here win this?

Notable number variations include: Duzn’t 2, Chock 5, Grave 6, Quacker 18, 6-Up 23, Breadcrust 37, Maddie 43, may have forgotten others...

I saw Grave 6 immediately, but didn’t really have the money to offer the guy some money and attempt an off-the-bay deal. Sold for more than I would have expected, but someone could really fill holes in their collection with this.

eBay auction: #264846680867

How could you tell they were variant cards? I didn't see pics pf the reverse - A

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 02:35:28 AM »
How could you tell they were variant cards? I didn't see pics pf the reverse - A

Some of the variations are easy to tell. The Grave Train’s diecut on the angled lines are not parallel to the box art, for one. And, when I see that variation, I suspect there’s more. Eventually the guy actually answered my question about which titles were which number, and there ended up being more than I expected.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:24:13 AM »
Some of the variations are easy to tell. The Grave Train’s diecut on the angled lines are not parallel to the box art, for one. And, when I see that variation, I suspect there’s more. Eventually the guy actually answered my question about which titles were which number, and there ended up being more than I expected.

If the seller had updated the description with the numbers it might have gone higher.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »
If the seller had updated the description with the numbers it might have gone higher.

I'm not sure. That is a possibility, but if someone is truly interested, they'd be foolish not to message the seller about it. With my "price guide", these titles summed up to $1485. So, what it sold for is actually close to what I'd expect since it is being sold in a lot rather than individual titles. But, yeah, some may have expected the Quacker to be a normal 44 rather than an 18 which is why you inquire about the lot. That could have been a reason it sold less but I feel like folks who would be serious about this sort of thing are already equipped with that knowledge. Forewarned is forearmed.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 06:45:11 AM »
I'm not sure. That is a possibility, but if someone is truly interested, they'd be foolish not to message the seller about it. With my "price guide", these titles summed up to $1485. So, what it sold for is actually close to what I'd expect since it is being sold in a lot rather than individual titles. But, yeah, some may have expected the Quacker to be a normal 44 rather than an 18 which is why you inquire about the lot. That could have been a reason it sold less but I feel like folks who would be serious about this sort of thing are already equipped with that knowledge. Forewarned is forearmed.

I was thinking that adding the info might have helped more people find the auction through searches.

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:10:53 AM »
It looks like Matt Stock probably won it.  kane-and-romita is one of his eBay aliases and has a feedback of 2020, which matches the highest bidder.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:19:53 AM by drono »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:43:16 AM »
It looks like Matt Stock probably won it.  kane-and-romita is one of his eBay aliases and has a feedback of 2020, which matches the highest bidder.

So he either needs them to fill in holes in his own collection, or he knows he can resell these individually at a higher price.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »
So he either needs them to fill in holes in his own collection, or he knows he can resell these individually at a higher price.

Matt’s not really a collector. He’d be smart to buy these all in one lot for a cheaper price, and sell them for more individually. In probably a few months or so, or when the well goes dry on rare diecut titles, expect to see these on eBay. I need most of the tough ones in the lot, but I for one can not afford to buy them all at once which would lead to higher price sales individually as I am sure I’m not the only one with that situation.

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
Unfortunately you're about 25 years too late to the game.  I found all but three of my die cut alternates (except of course Ratz, Cracked, and Jolly) at a Philly Non-Sports show in the mid 1990's for about $10-15 each.  Those were during the infancy of the Internet, before the dealers (or the collectors) knew a whole lot about Wacky Packages. 

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 06:00:14 AM »
Matt’s not really a collector. He’d be smart to buy these all in one lot for a cheaper price, and sell them for more individually. In probably a few months or so, or when the well goes dry on rare diecut titles, expect to see these on eBay. I need most of the tough ones in the lot, but I for one can not afford to buy them all at once which would lead to higher price sales individually as I am sure I’m not the only one with that situation.

You could try sending him an email asking if he won and if he'd be interested in selling you the ones you're looking for.  He's not heartless; at the Wacky Philly Reunion he gave his door prize to Shoe, so he might be willing to make a deal with you.  It's certainly worth a shot.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
You could try sending him an email asking if he won and if he'd be interested in selling you the ones you're looking for.  He's not heartless; at the Wacky Philly Reunion he gave his door prize to Shoe, so he might be willing to make a deal with you.  It's certainly worth a shot.

He's helped me out countless times, most notably with OS variations, diecuts, and 16th Series titles. I am not sure I'd want to push him on these because I know it was a big investment on his part and I wouldn't want him losing money on it just because I'm the buyer. Besides, I just won one of his eBay auctions (that I forgot to try the coupon on)... d'oh! What I mean is that none of those are in the budget right now.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 01:49:57 PM »
He's helped me out countless times, most notably with OS variations, diecuts, and 16th Series titles. I am not sure I'd want to push him on these because I know it was a big investment on his part and I wouldn't want him losing money on it just because I'm the buyer. Besides, I just won one of his eBay auctions (that I forgot to try the coupon on)... d'oh! What I mean is that none of those are in the budget right now.

I agree.  Matt has helped me many times over the last 20 yrs or so.  Several of my original 1-16 keeper sets were sold directly to me by Matt.  I also have 4 gorgeous original second series sets (1973) that I have bought directly from him over the years.  This is my favorite series and Matt was always there to help out.  These sets look straight out of the pack!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
you said the individual prices from your price guide align with the value of this lot so how could anyone make more selling these as singles?  Perhaps your prices need to be bumped up?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 04:44:39 PM »
Is there an updated price guide available?   It's been a long time since I was "in the market". 

you said the individual prices from your price guide align with the value of this lot so how could anyone make more selling these as singles?  Perhaps your prices need to be bumped up?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »
Is that Eric?

anything