Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School 9!  (Read 32752 times)

Offline Hostile_Thinkies

Re: Wacky Packages Old School 9!
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
Holy cow, thankfully I got my order in late last night. Glad to see OS9 did so well!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
I thought these were print on-demand after their week on sale is over.  Why would Topps put a limit on the number available to be sold?  Am I wrong about them being printed after the sales period?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
I thought these were print on-demand after their week on sale is over.  Why would Topps put a limit on the number available to be sold?  Am I wrong about them being printed after the sales period?
The sketch cards are what limits the sales. There’s only so many of them to go around.
If there was a sketch-less version, they could just keep on printing as many as they can sell.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »
Thanks, that makes sense.  I forgot about the limited availability of the sketch cards.  :great:

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2020, 02:05:39 PM »
The print run was 600 sets.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2020, 02:48:40 PM »
The print run was 600 sets.
I got 4 of them

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2020, 02:50:26 PM »
Meaning 1800 sketches!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2020, 05:23:15 AM »
Hi gang,

[Edit: A couple of kind forum members offered to help me out, so I've worked it out with one of them to purchase a base set.  So I'm all set. :-) ]

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but for me $150 is just too much for a set.  And I LOVE Old School.  Not an indictment, just don't personally see value in all the chase pieces. Respect if you do. I'm not in step with the vast majority of trading card collectors or the hobby.   

Regardless, in the past I have waited to get a base set on eBay and I think I've historically paid around $40-$50 for such a thing.  If someone is ordering in bulk and selling extra base sets to forum members, let me know.  Happy to go the ebay route, but of course would be happier to deal with a forum member. 

-Jason

I dithered between buying the full $150 set with sketches and extras on ebay and picking up just the base set for reasons Jason articulated far more eloquently than I.  Once I heard it was sold out, my decision was made for me.  If anyone has an extra base set they want to sell or trade, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tom

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2020, 08:07:38 PM »
The sketch cards are what limits the sales. There’s only so many of them to go around.
If there was a sketch-less version, they could just keep on printing as many as they can sell.

So the question is - Are the sketch cards worth it?  Without them, the set price could be lower and print run unlimited.  Maybe we could get boxes, wrappers, kiss-cut etc. if the volume was high enough.

Bottom line is the sketch card business model optimal?  600 sets limit seems so low.  But print run has to be balanced with set price and payout to those involved in the production.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2020, 11:07:03 PM »
So the question is - Are the sketch cards worth it?  Without them, the set price could be lower and print run unlimited.  Maybe we could get boxes, wrappers, kiss-cut etc. if the volume was high enough.

Bottom line is the sketch card business model optimal?  600 sets limit seems so low.  But print run has to be balanced with set price and payout to those involved in the production.

I don't think it's clear if they're worth it or if the business model IS optimal.  It seems clear from Topps' choices that they don't see another way to go with these, even if another way might exist. They may see it as perfectly clear that "this is the way".  I hope not.     

I've watched with fascination from the introduction of the very first Old School set, which I thought was a stroke of genius in format and value, through now. 

Early on, the sketch craze overtook all else, driving up sales of boxes (but entirely in the chase for sketches), in moments seeing color sketches selling for more than original artwork, and more.  Certainly the fandom (and forum chatter) was all about the sketches.  The stickers, and indeed the format itself (boxes, packs, kiss-cut stickers) become an afterthought to the majority of buyers in that sketch card chase.  Topps increased Old School print runs to meet the increased sketch card demand.  But that demand was never about the product or its sincere and appealing format, it was the demand for sketch cards.  The demand for Old School boxes of cards was never that.  And when the sketch market fluctuated, Topps was left with inventory.  Finally, it seemed that Topps' budgets and profit/loss reports suddenly determined that the Old School model wasn't viable anymore. And a new way forward was designed.  Premium price, less charming format... but, you guessed it, more sketches!  They rationally looked at what was driving big sales (and folks were buying CASES of Old School to get sketches, that was it) and they stripped most everything else from the original format away. 

Hell, remember when they attempted to market entire sketch card sets (or was it just "Sketches on demand") - they stripped 100% of everything away BUT they sketches. I didn't pay it much attention, so I don't know how well that all went for them. That was Topps responding to demand in the most aggressive way. 

Now, I don't think it's necessarily true the the original Old School format (boxes, packs, stickers, etc) is nonviable.  I assume it still is, but it's just more investment and risk.  Unless the format was never viable and Topps just ate huge losses on Old School 1 and 2, etc.  Which maybe they did? It seems unlikely, because we are seeing folks release sticker sets in a very Old School way, and I assume they're at least breaking even. 

I'd love to see Old School go back to the boxes and packs and kiss-cut stickers (with the enjoyment of sticking them as an option).  That's me.  I'll acknowledge that it's never going to be as inexpensive as it was (I think those Old School 1 boxes were only $50 each!), but lets say it was $100 a box.. we'd still be getting a lot of value there. 

That said, I fear I'm in the minority.  I suspect that the majority of hobbyists still care more about the sketches, and that's just where the market might be.  They perhaps don't want to "waste money on boxes of swill" stickers, just to get to the sketches. Because they're not just collecting a few sketch cards, they're collecting handfuls of them.  So for them, this new format is far more efficient. I just think it's utterly without that Old School charm. 

But if Dave and the team at Topps can figure out a way to bring back some of the genius and charm of the original Old School releases format, I think that would be awfully damned good.  And I would like to believe the hobby would be better and more vital for it, long term. 

If not, I'll just keep buying base sets with Dave's gorgeous paintings printed on them from other forum members.  I'll live. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »
I look at Old School 9 this way:  Yes, $150 is a lot of money, but if I don't want the sketches I can sell them, which brings down the set price (sometimes a lot).  And, as I try to build subsets like the Graduation cards, I end up with base sets to sell or trade with people here who find the $150 price unpalatable.  And now, with all the new sets around, including minis, there are a lot of trading possibilities!  I may eventually end up with a complete set of minis, even the stickers, which I had kind of given up on.

My only problem is keeping track of everything  :o

Offline quas

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2020, 01:54:27 AM »
Yes, overwhelming with all the 2020 weeklies, Wacky Halloween, Brand Busters, and OLDS9.  We are giving ourselves a lot for the holidays!   >(
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »
I'd love to see Old School go back to the boxes and packs and kiss-cut stickers (with the enjoyment of sticking them as an option).  That's me.  I'll acknowledge that it's never going to be as inexpensive as it was (I think those Old School 1 boxes were only $50 each!), but lets say it was $100 a box.. we'd still be getting a lot of value there. 

That said, I fear I'm in the minority.  I suspect that the majority of hobbyists still care more about the sketches, and that's just where the market might be.  They perhaps don't want to "waste money on boxes of swill" stickers, just to get to the sketches. Because they're not just collecting a few sketch cards, they're collecting handfuls of them.  So for them, this new format is far more efficient. I just think it's utterly without that Old School charm. 

Great analysis Jason!  I'm with you on the old school charm.  Sketches are nice, but they hold very little interest for me.  I think if Topps would take a Kickstarter approach, they would sell a lot more and eliminate the risk of unsold product.  That way you and I could buy a base set and maybe a smaller subset (coupons, grad photos, etc.) and get just what we want for a price that doesn't include any extras.  Topps could also sell "chase" options like packs with ludlows and sketches for those that want to chase.  I just don't think Topps is interested because Wacky Package collecting has become a niche market, and they're never going to make the kind of profit they do on sports cards.  So they don't feel it's worth the time to change their business model.  Unfortunately for the two of us and others who feel like we do, the "chasers" keep dumping a lot of money that we're not willing to pay, so they have no real incentive to change formats.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
I look at Old School 9 this way:  Yes, $150 is a lot of money, but if I don't want the sketches I can sell them, which brings down the set price (sometimes a lot).  And, as I try to build subsets like the Graduation cards, I end up with base sets to sell or trade with people here who find the $150 price unpalatable.  And now, with all the new sets around, including minis, there are a lot of trading possibilities!  I may eventually end up with a complete set of minis, even the stickers, which I had kind of given up on.

My only problem is keeping track of everything  :o

Yeah, that all makes sense. I think all of this is what we personally make of it, and there's so many possible facets to it, and ways to go - from the collector perspective, and the brand managers at Topps' perspective.  At the end of the day, I'm grateful that Old School continues, and that I'm still able to get a wonderfully creative set of Wackys out of it. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »
Pat,

There is a LOT of scanning and YES!!! I still use WackyBase Deluxe!

YES I agree with the sketch cards theory - You do not like them sell them and You are probably making money = FREE WACKIES!

Richard
#StayWacky

P.S...... I LOVE THE SKETCHES!!!!!!!

Offline WackyFrank

« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
Hey Dave,

Thanks again for producing Old School 9!

The previews look great!

Do you know when they will start shipping?

Stay Wacky!

Wacky Frank

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2020, 12:04:14 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to give you all a heads up that I expect Old School to go to the printer sometime late next week. We had some hiccup delays due to some sketch cards that needed to be redone/ added and I had some art delays on my end due to Covid issues.  I also wanted to adjust some pieces based on new info from Jason concerning packaging so that delayed it. Very sorry about that but I want it to look right. I think you will love the set. I worked longer on this one than any other previous set.

I will be doing the raffle sometime next week as well. More on this after the weekend.

Thanks!
Dave

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »
Thanks for the update, Dave!  Really looking forward to this set.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2020, 04:54:05 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to give you all a heads up that I expect Old School to go to the printer sometime late next week. We had some hiccup delays due to some sketch cards that needed to be redone/ added and I had some art delays on my end due to Covid issues.  I also wanted to adjust some pieces based on new info from Jason concerning packaging so that delayed it. Very sorry about that but I want it to look right. I think you will love the set. I worked longer on this one than any other previous set.

I will be doing the raffle sometime next week as well. More on this after the weekend.

Thanks!
Dave

We're all looking forward to another great set, Dave, and I can sympathize with you on those issues, I just assume forget the last few weeks in many ways...

Offline Hostile_Thinkies

« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2020, 11:48:39 PM »
thanks Dave- so excited for this!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2020, 07:20:27 AM »
SLAM that Series Home!

Richard
#StayWacky
#FlyEaglesFly

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »
Hey all, I'll find out the schedule on Monday as far as printing and all that.

Raffle is this coming week on Tuesday night. Currently I have 19 people. If anyone else ordered three or more of Old school please LMK and send me a receipt. This time around I'm doing it differently. If you ordered 3 you get a ticket, 6 gets you two tickets, 9 gets you three and so on. Second, I'm adding more prizes, more chances for art.

Details on Monday.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »
Dave, I'm looking forward to the release, again many kudos and congratulations for a job well done, the set promises to be
incredible and you brought back some 70's memories with many of those titles that I had forgotten about!

I'm sure it was a lot of hard work, and sweat and anxiety, and it is much, much appreciated!

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »

Raffle is this coming week on Tuesday night. Currently I have 19 people. If anyone else ordered three or more of Old school please LMK and send me a receipt. This time around I'm doing it differently. If you ordered 3 you get a ticket, 6 gets you two tickets, 9 gets you three and so on. Second, I'm adding more prizes, more chances for art.

Details on Monday.

Hey David!

How’s the Old School schedule looking? Looks like Topps has been churning out the Wacky Packages this week, based on all the shipping notices! Did you wind up doing your draw?

Can’t wait for this set!!

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2020, 08:59:23 AM »
Just got shipping notice  :great:

Offline Dr.M

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Just got my shipping notice as well! So exciting!!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
Got mine Yesterday!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:32 PM »

Details on Monday.

No details on Monday.
Nothing about the raffle Tuesday.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
Nothing yet - I'm in California.
A

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »
Hey all,

Doing the raffle tomorrow night at 8. The video of the drawing will be posted on Facebook at that time and I'll also post you the results here.

New way of doing things. If you order 3-5 sets you will get one name in the hat, 6-8 sets you get two names, 9-11 you get three names and so on. I have 20 people this time around who bought 3 or more sets. I will also be increasing the prize amounts! There will be 2 final paintings available and a rough for EVERYONE else! Everyone wins this time! 3 roughs will be from this Old School set and the remaining ones will be older unused roughs from ANS!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2020, 09:27:09 AM »
Hey all,

Doing the raffle tomorrow night at 8. The video of the drawing will be posted on Facebook at that time and I'll also post you the results here.

New way of doing things. If you order 3-5 sets you will get one name in the hat, 6-8 sets you get two names, 9-11 you get three names and so on. I have 20 people this time around who bought 3 or more sets. I will also be increasing the prize amounts! There will be 2 final paintings available and a rough for EVERYONE else! Everyone wins this time! 3 roughs will be from this Old School set and the remaining ones will be older unused roughs from ANS!

Wow!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »
Let me clarify that you can't win more than once. So even if you have multiple names in the hat the benefit to that is to try to get one of the paintings or the new Olds roughs which will be the first five drawn. Once you've won the remaining strips with your name are null and void. After the first five everyone else is already a winner with the remaining roughs I have available for the raffle which will be distributed randomly.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
Thanks for the update Dave.
On a side note, my sets are scheduled to arrive today.
Can't wait to get a look at them.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »
Thanks for the update Dave.
On a side note, my sets are scheduled to arrive today.
Can't wait to get a look at them.

Cool! LMK what you think of the set. I'm hoping all the things I asked them to do were done (especially making the art larger on the cards compared to the last set)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
Cool! LMK what you think of the set. I'm hoping all the things I asked them to do were done (especially making the art larger on the cards compared to the last set)

Dave,
The art and the numbering are larger. Collation on the Graduation photos , Red Luds and tan backs were pretty decent(at least for the sets I got). Was disappointed they came in the plain black boxes again. Overall, great set even though I don't recognize all the products.

anything