Author Topic: Wacky Packages Old School 9!  (Read 32739 times)

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Wacky Packages Old School 9!
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
Got word it goes on sale at noon today EST

THX DAVE - I KNOW IT WILL BE AWESOME - REMEMBER ALL COLOR SKETCHES!!!  :] :] :] :] :]

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2020, 07:36:23 AM »
Looks like most if not all the artists did color!

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2020, 07:41:17 AM »
Looks like most if not all the artists did color!

Dude  - That works for me!! THANKS!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
I will also be offering the same raffle that' I've done for the last bunch of series. If you purchase three or more of the master set and show me a receipt I will enter you into a raffle (after the 7 day sale is done) for original art!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
Nice.  Got my set ordered!  :great:

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
HOLY GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!!
$150 A SET!!!
Dave, you can tell Topps they've just priced a whole lotta people out of buying.
I love supporting this set but I definitely won't be buying as many as I had planned on.

Offline bwing

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
I bought a set but I agree with ratchet007 above - the $150 price tag is really pushing it.

Go back to selling boxes where you get 2 full sets, 1 sketch card and some variants - I know those retailed for less than $100. (plus you actually got to open packs!!!)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
HOLY GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!!
$150 A SET!!!
Dave, you can tell Topps they've just priced a whole lotta people out of buying.
I love supporting this set but I definitely won't be buying as many as I had planned on.

It's the exact same price it's been for three years now. You get three sketch cards which, with the quality they are you can sell one and get much of the cost back. Sell two or three and you probably profit from the set. And you get the full set without having to buy multiple sets and all the extra cards as well. Next set should have a box if things work out like I'm planning. Hopefully other things as well.

Offline drono

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
It's the exact same price it's been for three years now. You get three sketch cards which, with the quality they are you can sell one and get much of the cost back. Sell two or three and you probably profit from the set.

I bought one, and I'm looking forward to getting it.  Thanks again for putting it together.

However, I have to agree with bwing and ratchet007, the cost is very prohibitive.  Why make me buy the sketches if I have to sell them to make the rest affordable?  And again with the back variations - a total waste.  I don't blame you; I know that Topps controls that.  It's just another example of sticking it to the collector for all they can.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2020, 12:55:43 PM »
I bought one, and I'm looking forward to getting it.  Thanks again for putting it together.

However, I have to agree with bwing and ratchet007, the cost is very prohibitive.  Why make me buy the sketches if I have to sell them to make the rest affordable?  And again with the back variations - a total waste.  I don't blame you; I know that Topps controls that.  It's just another example of sticking it to the collector for all they can.

It's actually not sticking it to the collector. The cost of paying me to make 30 cards plus printing and the other things in the set does not jive with a $14.99 set or $19.99 area. The weekly sets they can charge that because it's only a few cards to produce and much less extra. I think having 3 sketch cards in a huge deal for the collector. The GPK fans would be thrilled to get those in one of GPK sets comparatively speaking.

Offline drono

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »
It's actually not sticking it to the collector. I think having 3 sketch cards in a huge deal for the collector. The GPK fans would be thrilled to get those in one of GPK sets comparatively speaking.

I'm not blaming you for the pricing or the set make up.  But your argument was to sell the sketch cards to make it affordable.  If they're so desirable, why would anyone want to do that?

I'd be willing to pay $60 for the 31 base cards and $40 for the 20 graduation photos - $100 and I got everything I wanted.  I really couldn't care less about the back variations, and I don't want to have to buy 3 sets at $150 for the possibility of getting all 20 graduation photos if the collation is near perfect.  I want to support these, but maybe I should stop buying from Topps and just buy from the secondary market.  Of course if everyone felt like I did, there would be no secondary market.

Offline bwing

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2020, 01:43:25 PM »
First, Dave, you have our gratitude for what looks to be an AMAZING product

To echo that drono said, though, and to reiterate what I said in the Weekly Series forum section, the variations need to go.
I think you can agree that without these in the weekly sets or this set, the cost would be less.  I know I can only speak for myself, but I don't need Red Ludlows. 

In addition, although I do like the idea of additional inserts like the graduation photo cards, the problem with them is I have to buy at least 3 sets to complete them.

Maybe Topps can have an option of just the base set for sale for future releases.

Offline quas

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
First, Dave, you have our gratitude for what looks to be an AMAZING product

To echo that drono said, though, and to reiterate what I said in the Weekly Series forum section, the variations need to go.
I think you can agree that without these in the weekly sets or this set, the cost would be less.  I know I can only speak for myself, but I don't need Red Ludlows. 

In addition, although I do like the idea of additional inserts like the graduation photo cards, the problem with them is I have to buy at least 3 sets to complete them.

Maybe Topps can have an option of just the base set for sale for future releases.

Agree: back color or ludlow variations are unnecessary.  (On the other hand, coupon backs are interesting.)
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Agree: back color or ludlow variations are unnecessary.  (On the other hand, coupon backs are interesting.)

Absolutely!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
The variations don't cost a lot more. It's paying us a living wage to make a giant set like this along with the additional other costs coming out to somewhere where Topps needs to pay that all off then make a reasonable profit over that to justify resources for the period of time they are working on the set (along with anyone else working on it). You could say collecting the parallels can be gouging but collecting Luds and that stuff is more for the hardcore collector to give them something to chase. Lots of fans still like to do that.

If YOU feels the sketch cards are desirable and know that they are valuable then the set is worth the price. 3 detailed sketch cards in one purchase is huge.  If you are not into sketch cards at all then getting rid of them makes sense. You get your money back and possibly more. The recent GPK Halloween Stories set, while cheap costs a ton to put together with no guarantee to even getting one sketch card.

We are making a retail set sized set without the benefit of retail stores which limits the number of potential buyers dramatically which is going to cost more on the production side and the buyer side.

Having a base set only option would kill any hope of having more sets. The best alternatives are if you don't want the sketch cards or the other goods is to buy a base set off Ebay in a few weeks (or months with Topps speedy mailing, ha) once the sets get to the dealers. They sell the sketch cards and then sell base sets by themselves. If the sketch cards are high quality (which they are) then they will be buying a lot to sell those and the wheel continues to spin. Or, the other option I mentioned earlier to sell one or more of them. I mean, if you sell one and get $50 for it it's now a $100 set of 59 cards. Sell two and it's $50 for 58 cards. Sell three at that price and you got 57 cards for free. Some cards might not be worth that much but others alone may get $100, $150, $200 or more so lots of choices.

Unfortunately we are in a world of no more retail Wackys (at least for now) so coming up with creative ways to continue getting WPs to the fans while also making Topps money is not going to please everyone. But, like I said, there are alternatives to still getting what you want at the price you want them at.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 02:14:13 PM by slamjim »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
The Luds/ Tans and whites were there because of the 1970s sets. In the 80s we probably don't need them. I'll make note of that if we do the 80s again. If I had coupon backs on the 70s stuff it would be a weird combo of ANS and the OS. I'm just trying to stay as true as possible to the idea behind the set.

Offline drono

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »
You could say collecting the parallels can be gouging but collecting Luds and that stuff is more for the hardcore collector to give them something to chase. Lots of fans still like to do that.

I like chasing as well as anyone else, but if I dropped $450 on some stickers, I'd be chasing after my wife before she got to the divorce lawyer.  That kind of disposable income isn't available to everyone.  I struggled to justify $150.

The Luds/ Tans and whites were there because of the 1970s sets.

But only by accident, not intentionally and their value was the same when they were produced.  It's only later that some became more desirable.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2020, 02:24:50 PM »

But only by accident, not intentionally and their value was the same when they were produced.  It's only later that some became more desirable.

I meant I had them in Old School because they are memories from the 70s sets. If I had coupon backs on those original Old School sets it would be weird.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
Unfortunately we are in a world of no more retail Wackys (at least for now)
[/quote]

There ARE Wackys at retail right now. They are the World's Smallest Wackys and you pay $5.99 for One Tiny Wacky Plus 5 minis. So cool to see those hitting WalMart.

The OS9 set looks great Dave. Thanks for making it happen!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
Unfortunately we are in a world of no more retail Wackys (at least for now)

There ARE Wackys at retail right now. They are the World's Smallest Wackys and you pay $5.99 for One Tiny Wacky Plus 5 minis. So cool to see those hitting WalMart.

The OS9 set looks great Dave. Thanks for making it happen!

Touche! 3-D Wackys yes.

Thanks! I put everything I had into this set. Hope everyone likes all the stickers. I don't want to mass spoil them this time so a slow rollout of images.

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
I might have missed this in the discussion, but what is on the backs of the graduation cards....puzzle pieces?

I'm definitely buying a set to support the continuation of the OS series.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2020, 03:20:53 PM »
Touche! 3-D Wackys yes.

Thanks! I put everything I had into this set. Hope everyone likes all the stickers. I don't want to mass spoil them this time so a slow rollout of images.

Please rollout the images only in the spoiler thread.  I like to see the stickers when I receive them.

As far as the price, I just bite the bullet for one set.  Yes, I was shocked also a couple years ago when this business model dropped, but I realized this is the only way we're getting more old school. I keep my set sealed for each release and then I buy a base set or two on ebay to display and stick. I miss the old days of getting a box and packs though.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2020, 04:35:34 PM »
I like chasing as well as anyone else, but if I dropped $450 on some stickers, I'd be chasing after my wife before she got to the divorce lawyer.  That kind of disposable income isn't available to everyone.  I struggled to justify $150.

I think it’s sad that $300, two set price, won’t  get you enough of the school picture cards to even trade with to get all the others,   :sad:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2020, 10:06:40 PM »
I remember when they where sold for 3 for 150 and 1 for 50.  If my memory serves me right, not many of the 1 for 50 sold but the 3 for 150 sold out.  I agree with you that you should be paid for the work you do.  I for one am excited for the subset (I think graduation set of 20?).  I am happy that it doesn't give you everything for 150 dollars.  That just cheapens the set for later.  I am liking what I see on this set.  The Bartles and Jaymes one is so good.  I like the details that you do on the set.  I saw a lot of the AP's for this set.   They are awesome.  Jasmine did 8 glitter cards, I picked up the Gadzooka one.  Dave you are right she could have charged more and got it.  She sold out in 3 hours of her 8.  This set and we the collectors help everyone.  It helps that on these sketches, ( we all have seen a lot of the sketches on Facebook already) look awesome.  They are not "phoned in". Dave is right if you want to the secondary market will support this series.  So our money goes to better quality sketches and also the set itself.  That way on future sets, we get artist that put that extra into the cards.  So I am good with the pricing.  I knew in advance it was coming.  So I saved up to get a few sets.  I will keep a set for myself with the chases.  I will then trade/sell off the doubles and the sketches I don't want.  It is a win for everyone.  Dave you are right about the GPK crowd.  The three sketches for 150.00 would be all sold out on the first day I bet.  BTW How many 150 dollar sets are being made?

Offline bludevilok

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2020, 10:48:58 PM »
I would gladly have taken all 20 graduation pictures instead of the variant backs.  I MIGHT have bought 3 sets IF I knew I'd get all of them, but the way Topps has been collating lately, I doubt that I would.  My two cents on that subject.

However, this looks like a great set that I will enjoy.  Great job on putting it together!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2020, 12:14:53 AM »
ok what is a graduation photo?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2020, 02:57:02 AM »
I think this is an example of one.

https://www.topps.com/media/catalog/product/w/p/wpos9_grad1_-_copy.jpg?optimize=medium&fit=bounds&height=560&width=700&canvas=700:560

Do we really think all 20 of our Wacky Characters Graduated?  I highly doubt that ; given what we know about them. School was clearly the last thing on the mind of at least half of those characters!

Offline quas

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2020, 03:02:45 AM »
Do we really think all 20 of our Wacky Characters Graduated?  I highly doubt that ; given what we know about them. School was clearly the last thing on the mind of at least half of those characters!

Clearly they were all taught by the Gadzooka teacher.
Marc

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2020, 06:17:12 AM »
Dave, I have no doubt that this is another superb set, a true labor of love, it shows.
Thank you so much for all you do with Old School, and Wackys in general, as well
as a big kudos to the other great artists involved with the Weekly series and even
the GPKs!

Thanks for keeping these old grocery titles alive, sometimes I'll recognize a product
that I hadn't thought about for years and years, and say to myself "Oh yeah, I remember those..."

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
If you want any of OLDS9 it's almost sold out! Just a heads up!

Also, if you bought three or more remember to send me a receipt so you can get into the raffle I'm having.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »
If you want any of OLDS9 it's almost sold out! Just a heads up!

Also, if you bought three or more remember to send me a receipt so you can get into the raffle I'm having.
Wow almost sold out, How many is the maximum made?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »
Hi gang,

[Edit: A couple of kind forum members offered to help me out, so I've worked it out with one of them to purchase a base set.  So I'm all set. :-) ]

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but for me $150 is just too much for a set.  And I LOVE Old School.  Not an indictment, just don't personally see value in all the chase pieces. Respect if you do. I'm not in step with the vast majority of trading card collectors or the hobby.   

Regardless, in the past I have waited to get a base set on eBay and I think I've historically paid around $40-$50 for such a thing.  If someone is ordering in bulk and selling extra base sets to forum members, let me know.  Happy to go the ebay route, but of course would be happier to deal with a forum member. 

-Jason

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:41:29 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Now SOLD OUT