Author Topic: ANS7 Rocket Red? How about this instead...  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
ANS7 Rocket Red? How about this instead...
« on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Why doesn't Topps do the "flash foil" treatment using colors like red, green, blue, and purple?

For example with ANS7 I think the Rocket Red (which look like Salmon Pink to me) parallel cards would have looked MUCH nicer if they were a regular, deeper red in "flash foil".

And aside from our continuing discussion of the terrible odds for this series, it would have helped a little imo if there had been another color or two in between, such as green and/or purple, all using the "flash foil" treatment.

Imagine how cool these colors would look that way!

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline Plan 9

Re: ANS7 Rocket Red? How about this instead...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
No more fancy borders! Black is beautiful!

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
I should have qualified that I'm not overly into the color parallels either, but since they seem to be upon us I think they might as well all be more interesting to look at. :)

The pink is nowhere near as interesting as the flash foils, and since golds are almost impossible to come by and silvers are pretty rare (if you're buying less than cases) why not have more visually interesting variations to collect and trade?

Again I think this touches on the horrible odds issue. If you had red flash foils as-is and put green or purple ones between the reds and the silvers there would be another subset within reach for the average collector.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
Too many subsets now to keep track of. I like things just the way they are.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
I stop at the Salmon color. Collecting beyond that requires too $$$$. All you really getting is the same card with another border. The day they do limited wacky with different designs will be another story.

Glocky Packages

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »

Once you go hologram, you'll never go back!! ;D  :P

The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys Are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...The Holo-Wackys are Coming...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:16:05 PM by Glocky Packages »

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
I stop at the Salmon color. Collecting beyond that requires too $$$$. All you really getting is the same card with another border. The day they do limited wacky with different designs will be another story.
I hear ya. I just wish those red one were a "flash foil" cool deep maroon/red color. Think that would look nice.

Holo-Wackys! OMG. Bring 'em on! :D

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
The Swedish Judge gives it 10 out of 10 if they ever did a chase card as Holograms, instead of these lame gold borders.

Perhaps it should suggested to Topps or more wacky lenticular motion cards.

Choke_Wagon

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
The Swedish Judge gives it 10 out of 10 if they ever did a chase card as Holograms, instead of these lame gold borders.

Perhaps it should suggested to Topps or more wacky lenticular motion cards.

Choke_Wagon
The FB2 lenticular cards were awesome. They really nailed 'em (and so much nicer than FB1).

I did like the magnets too, once they nailed those.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »
Why doesn't Topps do the "flash foil" treatment using colors like red, green, blue, and purple?

For example with ANS7 I think the Rocket Red (which look like Salmon Pink to me) parallel cards would have looked MUCH nicer if they were a regular, deeper red in "flash foil".

And aside from our continuing discussion of the terrible odds for this series, it would have helped a little imo if there had been another color or two in between, such as green and/or purple, all using the "flash foil" treatment.

Imagine how cool these colors would look that way!

Thoughts? Comments?

I've said before that, even though I don't like the colored borders, if Topps insists on colors, why not pick colors that enhance the specific card?  I suppose it would cost more, but use Topps artists to choose colors that complement each sticker and then match the border to that card. 

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
I've said before that, even though I don't like the colored borders, if Topps insists on colors, why not pick colors that enhance the specific card?  I suppose it would cost more, but use Topps artists to choose colors that complement each sticker and then match the border to that card. 
Exactly. All Wacky paintings are designed to pop against a dark border. When you lighten the border color you have to rethink the art that sits against it. Colored borders would work better if they were dark shades.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 01:26:06 PM »
Or.... I wouldn't mind an alternate border set but pick borders that enhance the art. I have noticed that there are some of the silver flash borders that look appealing to my eye. For example, Crimetapp, Sweet and Slow, Stealthy Choice and Coppertone. Like wise, the "pink" border Wiiz, and Pre-K. Look fine to me. I haven't seen enough of the gold borders to comment. So if they insist on alternate borders, make one alternate subset with different borders that highlight the title.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
The FB2 lenticular cards were awesome. They really nailed 'em (and so much nicer than FB1).

I did like the magnets too, once they nailed those.

I suggested we do more lenticulars for ANS8, & even thought it would be fun to try with the postcards series! Maybe they'll see the light!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
I think it gets down to the cost of mass production for Lenticular. But they could sell them for more if the only went that route. As a bonus feature, they could keep their cost lower and still do something cool

Speaking of which, will the momentum swing into ANS 8 for early 2011? I was hoping also for Olds 2 by the end of this year as well

It's been an awesome year for Wackys!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
I think it gets down to the cost of mass production for Lenticular. But they could sell them for more if the only went that route. As a bonus feature, they could keep their cost lower and still do something cool

Speaking of which, will the momentum swing into ANS 8 for early 2011? I was hoping also for Olds 2 by the end of this year as well

It's been an awesome year for Wackys!!
They should do lenticulars as the super rare cards instead of golds or silvers. It's a more worthwhile item to chase.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »
They should do lenticulars as the super rare cards instead of golds or silvers. It's a more worthwhile item to chase.
I agree that lenticulars are a more worthwhile item to chase, but I'd REALLY rather be able to get them without going broke.  At least with the golds it is possible for a collector to get one of every Wacky image in a set, while passing on the golds.  If they made lents but they were so scarce I couldn't expect to get even one (let alone a set), I might just get so disgusted I'd stop buying anything except a base set after they drop to $2 apiece.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
I agree that lenticulars are a more worthwhile item to chase, but I'd REALLY rather be able to get them without going broke.  At least with the golds it is possible for a collector to get one of every Wacky image in a set, while passing on the golds.  If they made lents but they were so scarce I couldn't expect to get even one (let alone a set), I might just get so disgusted I'd stop buying anything except a base set after they drop to $2 apiece.

I agree!  Enough with these ridiculous odds.  It is very discouraging for someone who has been in this hobby for over 10 years now to have never had the pleasure of pulling a rare chase card from these series.  I am done buying ANS7 already.  This is the lowest amount that I have spent on ANS Wackys and if the crazy odds continue, I see myself buying less and less with each successive series.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 05:27:13 PM »
I agree!  Enough with these ridiculous odds.  It is very discouraging for someone who has been in this hobby for over 10 years now to have never had the pleasure of pulling a rare chase card from these series.  I am done buying ANS7 already.  This is the lowest amount that I have spent on ANS Wackys and if the crazy odds continue, I see myself buying less and less with each successive series.

Funny, I agree but coming at it from almost the opposite way. I am usually one of the guys who waits around and buys a nice "master set" on ebay, then fills in the extra pieces as prices drop. I should say, I do not collect the ultra expensive items, for example, in recent sets, I am happy to have one gold border, one sketch, etc. I usually buy the medium cost border subsets when they became available at what I consider reasonable prices. I have rarely spent over $250 on a single series of Wacky Packages.  

I jumped in with both feet on ANS7. I preordered a case of 8 hobby boxes; ordered a bonus box, a binder, and 4 cereal box trays from Topps; purchased 2 cereal box trays from Wal*mart along with about 12 packs; and finally purchased 7 blister packs at Toys R Us. I would say I roughly have $450 in this release. Hands down, the most I've ever spent on a current release.

So I have about 30 base sets, 10 wack-o-mercial sets. I am still trading here in the forum to get a full set of the silver flash borders. Realistically, I will probably have to end up buying 2 or 3 to complete the set either here or on ebay. I also just recently completed trades to construct a 2nd red border set. I have enough items to be an ebay seller of one of the "master sets" I usually buy so might get to recoup $125 or so. But with everything I purchased, not one gold border, autograph or sketch card. Just doesn't seem right.

Don't get me wrong, I really like trading here on the forum but it seems that some of these items are beyond chase, they are "impossible dream" items. My wife and I make a good living but I just don't have
$1000.00 bucks to spend on a single sketch card or $400 for a gold when that's college books for a semester for my daughter. I realize some here have much more to go towards these highly collectable items and I don't feel animosity to those selling at these prices if they can get them. I just hope things cool off after another month.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:32:11 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 06:24:04 PM »

How about not making anything too rare?  I don't think that would upset too many people!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 07:33:48 AM »
Exactly. All Wacky paintings are designed to pop against a dark border. When you lighten the border color you have to rethink the art that sits against it. Colored borders would work better if they were dark shades.

Another option that may look nice & solve the border problem is to keep the border black & make the background (space between the border & edges of the card) gold foil (or other color/foil). I think gold foil against a black border may look really cool & still properly highlight the artwork.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »
Another option that may look nice & solve the border problem is to keep the border black & make the background (space between the border & edges of the card) gold foil (or other color/foil). I think gold foil against a black border may look really cool & still properly highlight the artwork.

You're right, that would look pretty cool!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
Perfect. I love that idea. I thought that's what they were going to do when I first heard of gold stickers. They didn't mind printing crazy tie-dye patterns on the outline so why not gold? Today's Topps execs may be helping to build their brands in the short term but they might be destroying them in the long term.