Author Topic: $25 eBay Coupon  (Read 8282 times)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
$25 eBay Coupon
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »
Anyone else get one of the $25 eBay coupons?  Looks like it is some kind of promotion for eBay users who have been with them for a long time.  The coupon says "for being with us from the start".  I got one even though I didn't join eBay until 1999.  From Wikipedia:  eBay started on September 3, 1995 under the name "AuctionWeb".  The name was changed to eBay in September of 1997.  It was named after the founder's consulting firm, Echo Bay Technology Group.

I don't know how they determined who got a coupon, but check in your messages inbox in eBay.  It looks like the coupons can only be used on buy-it-now items (no auction or best-offer sales).  There are a few other category restrictions as well but pretty sure Wackys would be eligible.

The other interesting thing about the message is that it includes some factoids about your eBay journey.  It has info on when you joined, first item you purchased, and first item you sold, etc.  It says I joined on 11/3/1999 which I am pretty sure is correct.  However, I think the first purchase they show for me is not correct.  It says my first purchase was a 10th series puzzle on 11/4/2001.  I'm pretty sure that my first purchase was an 8th series puzzle that I bought shortly after joining in 1999.  It shows my first sale as a Plastered Peanuts Wacky Ad on 11/5/2001.  Not sure if that is accurate or not.

Coupon is good until September 10.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:51:25 AM by BustedFinger »
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Alexeirex

Re: $25 eBay Coupon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
Thanks for that - I didn't read the fine print - thought the coupon was good for all types of auctions -
A

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:52:57 AM »
I think it might be cool if people who got one share some of their factoids!  What was the first item you bought and first item you sold?

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
Anyone else get one of the $25 eBay coupons?  Looks like it is some kind of promotion for eBay users who have been with them for a long time.  The coupon says "for being with us from the start".  I got one even though I didn't join eBay until 1999.  From Wikipedia:  eBay started on September 3, 1995 under the name "AuctionWeb".  The name was changed to eBay in September of 1997.  It was named after the founder's consulting firm, Echo Bay Technology Group.

I don't know how they determined who got a coupon, but check in your messages inbox in eBay.  It looks like the coupons can only be used on buy-it-now items (no auction or best-offer sales).  There are a few other category restrictions as well but pretty sure Wackys would be eligible.

The other interesting thing about the message is that it includes some factoids about your eBay journey.  It has info on when you joined, first item you purchased, and first item you sold, etc.  It says I joined on 11/3/1999 which I am pretty sure is correct.  However, I think the first purchase they show for me is not correct.  It says my first purchase was a 10th series puzzle on 11/4/2001.  I'm pretty sure that my first purchase was an 8th series puzzle that I bought shortly after joining in 1999.  It shows my first sale as a Plastered Peanuts Wacky Ad on 11/5/2001.  Not sure if that is accurate or not.

No such luck.  When did it arrive?
Marc

Offline mlmtf6

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »
I also joined in 1999 so I guess 20 years is good enough.  I already used mine.  I had a bit of a problem with it until I used caps on the letters.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
I got one, and I did use it on an auction winnings invoice.

My first eBay win was in January of 1999....it was a nice copy of Brave and the Bold #112.

BTW, someone on the Collectors Universe forum who didn’t join eBay until 2011 got one, so it may not be strictly time as a member.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:27:46 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »
Appreciate the heads up!  I didn't notice the coupon in my eBay messages.

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »
Appreciate the heads up!  I didn't notice the coupon in my eBay messages.

I joined in 1998 but no coupon.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
Thanks too for the heads up!  I never would have noticed this!!  My joining date of April, 1999 is right, but everything else is off by at least 11 years.

Here's something funny - back then, I searched on "Spongebob" and less than 30 items returned.

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up too; I got one!  I just bought something, and I surely would've used it.  Now I've got to buy something else before the 10th!  Update - I just purchased something that I wouldn't have paid $50 for, but I was willing to pay $25.  They still charged the same amount of tax for $50 though.

They have my joining date correct but nothing else.  I seem to remember joining with your email address in 1997 and "names" came later.  I know I bought something shortly after I joined, and I sold some stuff in the early days too.

That first purchase they listed was for the Wacky Packages Poster that the fan made with all 504 stickers, so that gives a good time frame on when that came out - some time around February, 2002.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:46:40 PM by drono »

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »
Here's something funny - back then, I searched on "Spongebob" and less than 30 items returned.

I remember getting an email that said they had just listed their 1,000,000th item.  I bet they get that almost every day now.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »
I remember getting an email that said they had just listed their 1,000,000th item.  I bet they get that almost every day now.

I remember that too!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
Thanks too for the heads up!  I never would have noticed this!!  My joining date of April, 1999 is right, but everything else is off by at least 11 years.

I also joined in 1999, and am also guilty of interest in Spongebob, particularly the fast food toys and a few DVDs.  :-[

I got the $25 message, and it also shows my first purchase and sale later than they actually occurred.  Maybe it was first BINs purchase and sale rather than auctions.  I know BINs were not that much a part of the early ebay years if at all.

Offline drono

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
Maybe it was first BINs purchase and sale rather than auctions.  I know BINs were not that much a part of the early ebay years if at all.

That's a possibility.  BINs weren't around when I joined; everything was an auction in those days.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 01:51:46 PM »
I also joined in 1999, and am also guilty of interest in Spongebob, particularly the fast food toys and a few DVDs.  :-[

I got the $25 message, and it also shows my first purchase and sale later than they actually occurred.  Maybe it was first BINs purchase and sale rather than auctions.  I know BINs were not that much a part of the early ebay years if at all.

I enjoyed Spongebob before Spongebob was cool!  I bought Kool-Aid credits on ebay to send away for a plush Spongebob that laughed when you whacked it.  I forget what those are called.....  Sadly, the battery has finally died  :sad:

The coolest fast food toy was the Spongebob that went down the ladder  :]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:53:59 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
No such luck.  When did it arrive?
Mine arrived on Aug 31

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »

I've been with ebay since exactly when it became ebay in Sept 1997 but I was using it before then so I figure the earliest date they can assign to anyone is Sept 1997 as they have no idea who used their system as auction web.  I never would have noticed this either as it was just plopped in our in boxes.  It suggests my first purchase and sale wasn't until 2001 which is wrong.  It says my first "offer" was WACKY PACKAGES ARTWORK TRANSFORMERS GO BOTS FINAL ART. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:00 PM »
I enjoyed Spongebob before Spongebob was cool!  I bought Kool-Aid credits on ebay to send away for a plush Spongebob that laughed when you whacked it.  I forget what those are called.....  Sadly, the battery has finally died  :sad:

The coolest fast food toy was the Spongebob that went down the ladder  :]
At the time I was unaware of the early Spongebob Burger King toys from say circa 1999-2003 or so, so I lost the chance to get any at BK itself.  Some of those were fairly detailed and elaborate, like Squidward in a bathtub, Spongebob jellyfishing, and probably the one you mentioned.  Got a few on eBay but not many.  I scored more of the later ones by eating a lot of cheeseburger kid meals.  >(  Also got some small rubber vending machine figures and Pez dispensers including the ‘underwear’ Spongebob, which was discontinued and supposedly rare.  What I really liked is that when they reissued the Pez dispensers a few years ago, they included a Gary the snail, which was awesome.  But as for the show itself, I think it really jumped the shark (how the expression fits!) after the 3rd season or so.  Tom Kenny’s voice also got much more annoying for some reason.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 03:06:42 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! I would never have seen this as I do not look in my ebay in box.

Here is one of my stats:

First purchase
You scored FRUITY FREAKIES/FRUIT HAT Cereal HOTWHEELS! on 11-23-2001.     This a Custom Freakies Hot Wheels Car which I still own.

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 03:11:40 AM by DrDeal »

Offline drono

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »
You scored FRUITY FREAKIES/FRUIT HAT Cereal HOTWHEELS! on 11-23-2001.     This a Custom Freakies Hot Wheels Car which I still own.

I had a lot of the Freakies stuff when I was a kid.  That sounds pretty cool; do you have a photo?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »
Here is a pic of my freakies Alcove. The Fruity Freakies Hot Wheel is on the bottom next to the Fruithat Figure.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 04:36:49 AM »
I joined in 1998 but no coupon.

I joined in 2003. I did not have internet at home until I got dial-up. LOL!  Did that rot. Lost every auction on eBay.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 05:00:36 AM »
I joined in 2003. I did not have internet at home until I got dial-up. LOL!  Did that rot. Lost every auction on eBay.

I used dial up for years, with a connection that timed out after 90 minutes.  At least it was free!  For a while I paid for a second land line so as not to tie up my home phone.

Offline quas

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
Mine arrived on Aug 31

Redeemed.  I got no notice, but HAPPY25 worked.
Marc

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 08:05:05 AM »

Same here.  I just got my notification that I joined in 2003.  So no 25 bucks for me!!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 09:35:24 AM »
Everyone should try using the code. It may still work regardless of when you joined eBay.

Offline drono

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
Here is a pic of my freakies Alcove. The Fruity Freakies Hot Wheel is on the bottom next to the Fruithat Figure.

Very cool!  I found my figures that I mailed off to get and some magnets when cleaning out my mother's house after she passed in January.  You definitely have a lot more Freakies stuff than I ever had.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 08:43:14 PM »
I joined in 1999 as well, but had my account erased after several years of disuse. So no coupon.

My first auction win was a 6Up and Weakies, received on June 12, 1999. My first sale was probably a 1991 pack; other rookie season highlights included selling a year-old TV Guide for $31 (the cover featured a pre-tabloid Katie Holmes) and transactions with at least two collectors on this thread alone.

EBay in those days was truly the Wild West. Unlimited feedback was permitted, whether you actually dealt with the other person or not, and no one would dare put up high-end items like original artwork for fear of outages. These happened often when the server was overwhelmed.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 08:33:02 AM »
That is a FREAKIE-AWESOME Display Dr.D!

Richard
#StayWacky

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
Redeemed.  I got no notice, but HAPPY25 worked.

Does this code work if you were simply sent a message from eBay regarding the years they've been around? I (well my dad's eBay) got a message from eBay, and it said the first purchase, sale, etc. but made no note of a $25 coupon... he joined in 2002. Maybe we aren't cool enough?

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 01:46:40 PM »
Some people have said the code "HAPPY25" worked for them even if they didn't get the email.  So I would try it.  Just be ready to pay full price if the code doesn't work!
 ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 06:05:57 PM »
Some people have said the code "HAPPY25" worked for them even if they didn't get the email.  So I would try it.  Just be ready to pay full price if the code doesn't work!
 ;)

If you put the item(s) in the cart and the code doesn’t work you can still back out I think.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
I got one of those codes as well (I joined in '99).  However, is it a fact that the coupons only work on Buy It Nows?  I hope not, but I'll find something BIN if that is indeed the case.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 07:28:50 PM »
No, I won four auctions, requested an invoice, and used the coupon against it.

Offline drono

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:46 AM »
I got one of those codes as well (I joined in '99).  However, is it a fact that the coupons only work on Buy It Nows?  I hope not, but I'll find something BIN if that is indeed the case.

I think the restrictions were that it couldn't be used for a best offer accepted.  I thought it was also restricted from regular auctions too, but it looks like that worked for Paul Maul.

Here are the restrictions from eBay:

Who's eligible for the Coupon?
Only invited, registered eBay users who see the Coupon in My eBay Messages are eligible. Sorry, no forwarding—Coupon is not transferable.

How to redeem your Coupon:
1. Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions).
2. Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: HAPPY25
3. Pay for your item by 11:59PM Pacific Time on September 10th, 2020

Terms & Conditions:
This Coupon is a $25 discount off a minimum purchase of $25.01, valid through 11:59PM Pacific Time on September 10th, 2020. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com, cafr.ebay.ca and ebay.ca. Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, Vehicles in eBay Motors, and Real Estate categories. Coupon must be used within a single transaction (and can include multiple eligible items), while supplies last. Max one redemption per user. Coupon does not apply to auction-style listings or purchases made through the Best Offer feature.

Only eBay users registered on ebay.com, ebay.ca and cafr.ebay.ca, with an address located in the United States or Canada are eligible for the Coupon. Any unused difference between the discount amount, as shown on the Coupon, and the purchase price of an item(s) in a single transaction (or cart) will be forfeited.

Coupon is funded by eBay; Coupon is subject to U.S laws, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, has no face value, and cannot be combined with any other Coupon, or when paying with PayPal Credit Easy Payments or Gift Cards. eBay may cancel, amend, or revoke the Coupon at any time including in response to fraudulent activity.

If you are attempting to use this Coupon to buy items from both managed payments seller(s) and non-managed payments seller(s), your cart may be divided into two separate transactions. If that happens, this Coupon will be applied to the first transaction if it meets the minimum purchase requirement. If the first transaction does not meet the purchase requirement, this Coupon will not be applied. If your second transaction meets the purchase requirement, you must apply this Coupon during the second transaction.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:56:26 AM by drono »