Author Topic: Lost Wacky: 1969 Wacky Ad  (Read 8426 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!

Offline Mr._Stubble

Offline mikecho

Re: Lost Wacky: 1969 Wacky Ad
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 06:43:04 PM »
I didn't know Topps did this! If this is genuine, this is a scoop for the Spreadsheet!

Oh, Patrick...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:28:27 AM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:38 PM »
Has this already been talked about and I missed it? Unused Lost Wacky Wacky Ad.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/tom-sutton-wacky-packages-unpublished-muleburro-ad-gag-illustration-original-art-topps-c/a/7229-94132.s
Does Heritage identify the owner?  I’d be curious who it is, and why they would have kept this under wraps all these years.  Would also be curious to see if a Topps Vault COA would be part of this.

If legit, this would be the first title to land in a series other than the 2nd, though the art to the finished 5th Series Muleburro is completely different than what’s shown here.

Though it looks like the Tom Sutton style, my gut tells me it’s a fugazy.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
I do remember seeing this, and only on Heritage where I looked at the images prior. I have no clue what was up with this title, but assuming it’s legit, I find it to be a super cool piece.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
who knows who sat on it all these years but it found a new home recently.  No reason to believe it is not legit, looks cool!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:56 AM »
I actually saw that on the HA page a while back, but didn't inquire because I thought that unused art was common knowledge here. Some of you guys know every detail down to variations on the TCG code printed on the bottom of each sticker.

I also like how the name Muleburro is a two part word of similar mammals - mule and burro.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:15:28 AM by Swiski »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 07:09:54 AM »
I actually saw that on the HA page a while back, but didn't inquire because I thought that unused art was common knowledge here. Some of you guys know every detail down to variations on the TCG code printed on the bottom of each sticker.

I also like how the name Muleburro is a two part word of similar mammals - mule and burro.

And there was a real Muleburro Wacky Package sticker in the original Wacky Packages stickers series 5!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:11:29 AM by dth1971 »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:10:47 AM »
And there was a real Muleburro Wacky Package sticker in the original Wacky Packages stickers series 5!

Ugh...my head is in the clouds lately. It didn't dawn on me that there was a Muleburro parody, modified and used for the series 5 set. It looks so different here, and the art style was from the 1969 Wacky Ads period.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:14:17 AM by Swiski »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
fascinating!

I actually received a hard copy of the auction catalog for this comic art lot, but HA messed up the shipping, and I didn't receive it until after the auction was complete. I only casually flipped through the catalog, and never noticed it. I still have the catalog, and just looked it up. Not sure how I could have missed it!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »

Yes, the offspring and its sire or father (a mule is the hybrid offspring of a male donkey (or burro) and a female horse (the opposite hybrid (a male horse and a female donkey) is a hinny)). The mother is called a dam.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:20:41 PM by mikecho »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 11:34:02 AM »
fascinating!

I actually received a hard copy of the auction catalog for this comic art lot, but HA messed up the shipping, and I didn't receive it until after the auction was complete. I only casually flipped through the catalog, and never noticed it. I still have the catalog, and just looked it up. Not sure how I could have missed it!

Did it actually go for $4600?

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
Did it actually go for $4600?
It sold for $3000, with a 20% auction house fee of $600, so $3600 total

Looks like the buyer is open to offers of at least $4680

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers

Offline g.u.e.s.t.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
Wow! First time ever seeing this!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
Hopefully someone will make a Wacky Ad Bootleg Item out of this pic.  I will buy one if I get the chance.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
Hopefully someone will make a Wacky Ad Bootleg Item out of this pic.
I hope that doesn’t happen. There’s too much fake crap out there as it is.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2020, 02:17:49 PM »

I know what you mean.  I have a lot of repros that I bought when I couldn't afford the real deal, and I worry that if I get run over by a bus my sister won't know what's a repro.  Actually, she might just throw out my Wacky stuff because it's all silly junk to her........  Anyway, I try to put labels in the page pockets, etc., but she would most likely be confused.  One repro set is the Ads, with a Mixwell Hearse.  The "perforations" are obviously printed on, but it's possible that an unscrupulous person could take advantage of a newbie.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »

When we will never be able to have one what's wrong with a high quality repro?

Andrew

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Did anyone ever figure out which lost Wacky Ad replaced Good & Empty?... and why neither lost title has been found as an actual card?  Seems like they would have had at least a few sheets with Mixwell get out there in packs at some point, right?  So cool to still be seeing lost titles after so long.  Seems like the price wasn't completely astronomical either.  Surprized there wasn't a bid war.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »
Did anyone ever figure out which lost Wacky Ad replaced Good & Empty?... and why neither lost title has been found as an actual card?  Seems like they would have had at least a few sheets with Mixwell get out there in packs at some point, right?  So cool to still be seeing lost titles after so long.  Seems like the price wasn't completely astronomical either.  Surprized there wasn't a bid war.

1. Is there any reason to believe whatever replaced Good & Empty wasn’t  just a double print?

2. Why is there any reason to believe any lost Wacky Ad was ever actually published?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
 I love the fact that stuff like this is still surfacing!!   Time to add another print (as Rawgoo) to my Ad collection.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 02:03:37 PM »
I thought someone made reference to an uncut sheet existing with Mixwell on it.
That's what I was basing it on.  But also, because it would be really cool if some day a couple ultra rare, die-cut #25 examples turn up, too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »
I thought someone made reference to an uncut sheet existing with Mixwell on it.
That's what I was basing it on.  But also, because it would be really cool if some day a couple ultra rare, die-cut #25 examples turn up, too.

Unfortunately, I mentioned that I have a fan-made Mixwell Hearse Ad, and that led to some posts including incorrect interpretations and assuming that there was an original production sheet.  In the interest of avoiding any more confusion, I have deleted those posts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:58:31 PM by RawGoo »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »
This chat also reminds me about a converation I had with Jay once when we were hanging out... about the order of things.  I always theorized that the idea for Wacky Ads came first, since the post-card format & art style & more cheezy gag style matched earlier parodies out there.  Plus they weren't Saunders.  And Jay mentinoed a few things in talking about them which seemed to point to that being the case.  But then the idea may have been shelved until the 1967 die-cuts came out (with a more traditional trading-card size) or maybe they were creating both at the same time & chose the smaller cards to start with.  I remember this being a big discussion point in the older John Mann forum at one point, but it was never finalized.  If this was the case, it might give another explanation for the unpublished titles... like that they didn't replace #25 G&E, but instead were replaced BY the multi-title panels of 1967 die-cuts, as a last minute substitution to relate back to the 1967 release for continuity. 

This may also leave room for 4 more unpublished titles (since there are six multi-titles), including 2nd series sticker titles which did not appear in the Wacky Ads (which could include, LogCave-in, GyppyPop, Putrid, 8Lives, Brittle, Dull, and RunTony... although probably not Sugarmess, because the crappy puzzle titles like this often seem like last-minute throw-together pieces).  Imagine if an unpublished Wacky-Ad version of something like Guppy Pop ever surfaced!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2020, 01:09:57 AM »
This chat also reminds me about a converation I had with Jay once when we were hanging out... about the order of things.  I always theorized that the idea for Wacky Ads came first, since the post-card format & art style & more cheezy gag style matched earlier parodies out there.  Plus they weren't Saunders.  And Jay mentinoed a few things in talking about them which seemed to point to that being the case.  But then the idea may have been shelved until the 1967 die-cuts came out (with a more traditional trading-card size) or maybe they were creating both at the same time & chose the smaller cards to start with.  I remember this being a big discussion point in the older John Mann forum at one point, but it was never finalized. 

Interesting....this might also explain why '67 die-cuts were released first (with a plethora of Saunders artwork), THEN the '69 ads that were already painted (and probably produced), THEN the 1st series stickers representing the die-cuts, THEN the 2nd series stickers representing the ads.   edit....and why the 2nd series titles were repainted by good ol' Norm.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 09:39:11 AM »
Not sure if this will provide any concrete conclusions, but here is a letter from Bhob Stewart to Jay Lynch asking him to work on the Wacky Ad roughs in late summer 1968. In my (feeble) mind, this would tend to make me think the Ads weren't started until after the dies were released...but who knows for sure? The mention of roughs already done by Art Spiegelman throws some mystery in, also.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »
Bigtomi, thanks for the link to that letter....I had never seen that one!   It is now printed and added to my binder collection.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »
I think Mixwell Hearse was intended to replace Good and Empty. If you look at the Ad number on the former, it's the same as the latter's number.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:37:50 AM by mikecho »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
I think Mixwell Hearse was intended to replace Good and Empty. If you look at the Ad number on the former, it's the same as the latter's number.

You mean on the fan made Mixwell Hearse? What bearing does that have on actual events with respect to the Wacky Ads release?

Offline mikecho

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:13 AM »
You mean on the fan made Mixwell Hearse? What bearing does that have on actual events with respect to the Wacky Ads release?
Okay, sorry about that; I thought they based that one on the original art.

Does anyone know if there is a copy of the original art for Mixwell Hearse out there anywhere? That would definitely settle the matter.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:41:49 AM by mikecho »

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a copy of the original art for Mixwell Hearse out there anywhere? That would definitely settle the matter.
The number is not on the art.
Only mock up or proof uncut sheets would show the text that Topps adds

Offline mikecho

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
The number is not on the art.
Only mock up or proof uncut sheets would show the text that Topps adds
Okay, fine, I was just checking. Then you can skip the statement referring to that one on my last PM to you. Just put in the other one, please.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:14:56 PM by mikecho »

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »
“The fact is, this man doesn’t know what he’s talking about.” Joe Biden 2020

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
Okay, sorry about that; I thought they based that one on the original art.

Why would the existence of the original art settle the matter on its intent?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/