Author Topic: Wacky Backs  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
Wacky Backs
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:53:16 AM »
I notice many of the eBay auctions don't show the backs of original series stickers. How much of an effect on the grade does a clean/unclean back have? I believe PSA deducts two grade points for a gum stain. How about marks? Foxing?

Online Paul_Maul

Re: Wacky Backs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »
Foxing might get a ST qualifier. A little stray dirt is often ignored, actual marks from a pen might get a MK qualifier.

Online Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
One time I opened a 15th series wax box that had the white backs against the pack seal, so that all of the cards that were on the back of a pack had varying degrees of wax staining. Some were barely noticeable, others very noticeable. I started including a few in submissions to test the waters, starting with the least noticeable. Several got straight 9s. As the stains got more noticeable, several started getting 5s and 6s. I had requested no qualifiers, they otherwise would have gotten 8 or 9 (ST).

So a lot of it is the judgment of the grader as to how severe a defect is.

Offline Yubum

• Complete Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »
Foxing might get a ST qualifier. A little stray dirt is often ignored, actual marks from a pen might get a MK qualifier.

What about backs (not sure how to describe them and haven't figured out yet how to add an attachment/image) where the die cut from the front actually shows like a dust shadow through the back. I'm guessing with the all white surface, clean backs are a lot harder to find on wackys than other non-sports card with text/artwork on the reverse.

Online Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
I think I know what you mean, and I don’t think PSA would consistently penalize stuff like that.

anything