Author Topic: Original Lost Wacky poster set  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Campy

• work in progress
Original Lost Wacky poster set
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »

Can anyone shed some light on the Lost poster set, I have not been able to find any information on these?  I have the list of series 1-3 cards but no info on Posters.
Thanks, Mark

Offline DrDeal

Re: Original Lost Wacky poster set
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 03:18:53 AM »
Can anyone shed some light on the Lost poster set, I have not been able to find any information on these?  I have the list of series 1-3 cards but no info on Posters.
Thanks, Mark

Where is this question coming from?  Ebay? I have never heard of any lost Wacky posters?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 05:40:38 AM »
Where is this question coming from?  Ebay? I have never heard of any lost Wacky posters?

I have a set(?) at home in a portfolio like I use for my vintage posters.  Will post more info on titles later.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »

I am still in the process of sorting through all my wacky stuff and I am finding things that I forgot I had . So as I sort through stuff I have been looking them up to label and organize. So the question comes from my closet where I have a stack of poster sets one of which appears to be lost Wacky titles.   

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »
I am still in the process of sorting through all my wacky stuff and I am finding things that I forgot I had . So as I sort through stuff I have been looking them up to label and organize. So the question comes from my closet where I have a stack of poster sets one of which appears to be lost Wacky titles.

What are the titles? That may be helpful in tracking down info.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
What are the titles? That may be helpful in tracking down info.

I have these posters:
Fanatik
Rotting Zone
Gooya
Janitor in a Slum
Midget Rice
The Clodfather
Jujubats
Kill
Sea Honkies
Tushie Roll
Winsome
Fool Aid
Unlucky Dog
Ratz
Orgeo
Ovary Show
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:12:21 PM by RawGoo »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »
I have these posters:
Fanatik
Rotting Zone
Gooya
Janitor in a Slum
Midget Rice
The Clodfather
Jujubats
Kill
Sea Honkies
Tushi Roll
Winsome
Fool Aid
Unlucky Dog
Ratz
Orgeo
Ovary Show
I knew that Lost Wackys Series 1 was a sticker series, but I never knew there were posters as well.

Pat, do you think Patrick should add this to the Non-Topps section in the Spreadsheet?

Oh, and one other thing, it's Tushie Roll.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:02:05 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 12:22:40 PM »
I knew that Lost Wackys Series 1 was a sticker series, but I never knew there were posters as well.

Pat, do you think Patrick should add this to the Non-Topps section in the Spreadsheet?

Oh, and one other thing, it's Tushie Roll.

I know it's Tushie Roll, but typos happen.  As for the spreadsheet, Patrick is free to add these or not, as he sees fit.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
I know it's Tushie Roll, but typos happen.  As for the spreadsheet, Patrick is free to add these or not, as he sees fit.
I agree, so let's let him handle it.

Thanks for fixing the typo, too.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:41:51 PM by mikecho »

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »
I question the legitimacy of these (which is sort of dumb since the whole Lost Wackys series was illegitimate).

I'm wondering if the usual suspects printed up a handful of these poster sets?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »
I question the legitimacy of these (which is sort of dumb since the whole Lost Wackys series was illegitimate).

All I can say for sure is that the posters I have were obtained many years ago.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »
I agree, so let's let him handle it.

Thanks for fixing the typo, too.
but you didn't fix the typo that's in the quote inside your message.  ;D

no, I won't be adding in the peripheral items for this. There's no end to additional items that were printed on a whim, and with unlimited variations

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »

the usual suspects sent a letter on July 1 to Greg to let the community know that Lost Wackys are done (for now)

We received the following anonymous letter.
After 15 years the Lost Wacky Syndicate is announcing their retirement.
yada, yada, yada

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
but you didn't fix the typo that's in the quote inside your message.  ;D

no, I won't be adding in the peripheral items for this. There's no end to additional items that were printed on a whim, and with unlimited variations
I don't think that was a typo. I was saying "let us let him handle it."

I also kind of knew they wouldn't be put in, anyway. There's enough in that section as it is and that's just the legitimate first two series and their stickers and puzzles.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:47:02 PM by mikecho »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
I have these posters:
Fanatik
Rotting Zone
Gooya
Janitor in a Slum
Midget Rice
The Clodfather
Jujubats
Kill
Sea Honkies
Tushie Roll
Winsome
Fool Aid
Unlucky Dog
Ratz
Orgeo
Ovary Show

Red Veins licorice was also released as a poster, but I'm not sure if it's related to this particular set.  But I'm pretty sure it's from the same source.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Red Veins licorice was also released as a poster, but I'm not sure if it's related to this particular set.  But I'm pretty sure it's from the same source.
Neil, I can help you out on this one.

The Red Veins poster was given out at the Topps booth during the 2005 San Diego Comic-Con.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
These posters completely escape my memory. Could someone post pics of some of them?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »
These posters completely escape my memory. Could someone post pics of some of them?
Yes, please post a picture of a poster-sized Ovary Show!
 :P
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 06:03:13 PM »
Yes, please post a picture of a poster-sized Ovary Show!
 :P
Your avatar and that poster would be a terrible mix

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 05:45:11 AM »
I think I still have one.  I can dig around my pile of oversized stuff.  The Red Veins poster was done by Strephon Taylor.  If they were handed out at the Comiccon, I did not get mine from that event as I did not go.  I think there was an email sent out asking about buying them.  That sounds familiar, but that was a long time ago!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 06:06:50 AM »
I think I still have one.  I can dig around my pile of oversized stuff.  The Red Veins poster was done by Strephon Taylor.  If they were handed out at the Comiccon, I did not get mine from that event as I did not go.  I think there was an email sent out asking about buying them.  That sounds familiar, but that was a long time ago!

I'm pretty sure I got a Red Veins separately, in a white box.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »

Yes, it was the 2005 Comic Con. I think this title was intended for ANS 2 and wasn't used until it was a foil card in ANS3.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
Yes, it was the 2005 Comic Con. I think this title was intended for ANS 2 and wasn't used until it was a foil card in ANS3.
That is exactly what it was!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »
the usual suspects sent a letter on July 1 to Greg to let the community know that Lost Wackys are done (for now)

We received the following anonymous letter.
After 15 years the Lost Wacky Syndicate is announcing their retirement.
yada, yada, yada

I saw that message, too.

I wish that Greg would make a section on both his sites about the Wacky Packages Boxes series. I'd like to see what they look like and what they put in. I mean, 17 series - that's really something!

Btw, two questions: what's the real name of Foreign Alphabet Soup in Lost Wackys Series 3, or is that one a made-up product? And is there a picture of it if it is real?

UPDATE: Never mind, I just looked on Greg's site and found out.

It was going to be one of the Crazy Coupons for the lost 1992 series that was never published. Pat Piggot painted it. It's on wackypackages.org/wackypacks.php in the Lost Wackys Series 3 section if you're interested in seeing it. Do you think it should mentioned in the Spreadsheet as well?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:55:29 PM by mikecho »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »
"...17 series - that's really something!"

What's THIS all about?  I haven't heard anything about a rumored 17th series in a long time.  Was there new information found recently?  I always wondered if that was got turned into the 1985 Series (since 1979, 1982 & Irish, etc. were all reprints, and "Scoot" was a Saunders hold-over).  It would be cool to see a true "17th Series" checklist proof or something, though.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
What's THIS all about?  I haven't heard anything about a rumored 17th series in a long time.  Was there new information found recently?  I always wondered if that was got turned into the 1985 Series (since 1979, 1982 & Irish, etc. were all reprints, and "Scoot" was a Saunders hold-over).  It would be cool to see a true "17th Series" checklist proof or something, though.
No, no, no, no, no, you've got it all wrong - it's 17 Wacky Packages Boxes series.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:51:46 PM by mikecho »

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
The SHOCKING discovery that there were LW1 posters produced has now been added to Greg's site, with images.
Only has 12 listed, not the 16 above, and includes Red Veins too, which is believed erroneous (doesn't have the same dimensions)
and I thought the Taster's Choke was printed right after Matt obtained the poster art, and should not be a part of this list either.

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/lw1/posters/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:23:30 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
How long until it's "discovered" that there was another set of posters produced - with variations (like the cards)?  :-\
Brian Mc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
The SHOCKING discovery that there were LW1 posters produced has now been added to Greg's site, with images.
Only has 12 listed, not the 16 above, and includes Red Veins too, which is believed erroneous (doesn't have the same dimensions)
and I thought the Taster's Choke was printed right after Matt obtained the poster art, and should not be a part of this list either.

http://www.wackypacks.com/unpublished/lw1/posters/

I didn't realize these posters were such a new discovery.  Perhaps I'm being teased again?  I got these years ago.

Anyway, here are some pics from my poster portfolio.

And, please, I KNOW Ratz isn't a Lost title, but it came with my set, so I included it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:33:05 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

And, please, I KNOW Ratz isn't a Lost title, but it came with my set, so I included it.

Pat, please fix the typo in your post  :P

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:33:19 PM by RawGoo »
Brian Mc

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »
Pat - very interesting! Did you get those around the time of the original Lost series?

I got the Red Veins directly from Strephon at the time but never heard of anything else.

These guys might as well just make posters out of every original Wacky while they're at it!

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
 Here are the majority on the ones I found in this set. I got these back in 2007 i believe and they have been in my wacky room closet every sense.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:21:11 PM by Campy »

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 01:15:35 AM »
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong - it's 17 Wacky Packages Boxes series.

Oh... good.  Because I don't have time for a Wacky mystery at the moment.  I remember some rumors early on of 17th series, 4th Series white-backs, 15th tans, full shipping cases of each series from 1 to 16 sitting in a warehouse.  All kinds of treasure hunts.  Although... the one that was true, but I don't know if anyone ever collected them all were the "GLOSSY" stickers.  Seemed like 5th would be the easiest to assemble, but I think I remember 3-6 having glossy variation fronts.  Never saw a glossy BUM & Choke, though.  And someone was after collecting double sets of everything, one for single and one for double asterisks... 

I can't imagine how hard it would be to find a PSA 10 run of all possible 3rd series sets - tanback, whiteback, glossy of each, and single and double asteristks of each, all with Spit & Span variations... no wonderbread, 1979 or English allowed.  There's an 8-set challenge for the complete-ists out there!

Offline Topcat

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
I never collected the LW series but found several posters in a collection I bought last year. I asked Greg about them and he verified they were legitimate LW1 Posters, produced in very limited numbers. I listed 4 on Ebay and they close tonight and Sunday. I hope someone enjoys them. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 08:00:16 AM »
If anyone is interested in Ovary Show and/or Orgeo posters, LMK.  I know they are very popular Lost Wacky titles, but they just don't fit into my idea of Wackys, so I'm willing to break up my "set."  I never offered these before because I thought they were a hush-hush thing, but with Greg posting them and pronouncing them legit, I figure they should go to someone who will appreciate them.